• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whence "Team Story"?

#1 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

On the Cythera web board, we have team stories. Everyone knows this. But I'm not sure where the term "team story" comes from. A Google Search for "team story" mostly returns stories about teams, not by teams.

I was curious and thought I'd try to do some archaeology, but it's a bit difficult because the forum's search doesn't return results before April 2001 or so. Fortunately, I now have copies of all the posts from the forum.

The first reference I can find is Avatara using "'team' stories" with quotes to refer to The Buildup and War's Fortune. However, neither of those topics nor the casting call for War's Fortune say anything about "team stories". From my recollection, on the Ares boards we called them "RPGs", but of course it wouldn't make any sense to refer to team stories as "Cythera RPGs".

Next reference I can find is ferazel_09 using "team stories" normally. Also, between then and late October 2000, the term appears in ferazel_09's signature (If you recall, signatures on the old UBB became part of the post and old posts didn't change when users had new signatures).

Then, in Once Again... Part I - writing, Talos refers to Once Again—sorry, I mean The Cytherian Legends—as the "first team story". By this time, I believe that The Undine Stronghold had ended, and The tale of the Treasure and LKH (for story) had started, though we don't have all of the ending dates. No one in Undine Stronghold-The Aftermath calls it a team story, though.

Surprisingly, no one says "team story" in the Tavern until the 411th post of "Tavern continued", at which point maybe 7 TSes had completed. And the first reference I can find to "TS" as an abbreviation isn't until much later still.

I assume that Avatara's post is the origin of the term, but of course it's possible that we adopted it from somewhere else that I can't search right now.

#2 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Interesting ^_^ I also noticed that they weren't called TSes from the start, though they were always called stories, and to me it seems natural to call them team stories or group stories.

I don't have any insight to offer, except that you can still search all the way back on the forums if you use the Advanced Search feature.
I'll become even more undignified than this

#3 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hmm, that's interesting. The advanced search turns up posts from other forums. Interesting ones include:

"First Story" (Oct 29), from the Ferazel boards, in which ferazel_09 says:

View Postferazel_09 said:

Also, the Cythreans call these 'team stories'. If you have any questions about the stories, look at the Cythera Web Board, or e-mail me.

"Make a team story" (Nov 28), from the EV boards, in which Rogan tries to start a team story and the people there don't seem to know what he means.

"AVARA IS ALIVE!!!!" (Oct 4), from the Avara boards, in which Avatara says "team-story" and takes credit for them:

View PostAvatara said:

My idea of course. Both the tavern and the stories. (read the chronicles topic)

Maybe you could get a team-story here (like thebuildup in ares or the undine stronghold in cythera). That would probably help. And I've noticed that many good ideas for stories come from bars...

So it seems pretty certain that the term is unique to the Cythera boards.

#4 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

If I got it from somewhere else, it would've been Ares. Either something in the Officer's Club (the bar?) or maybe communication on GameRanger or something. Though I didn't really participate in the forums until June/July so I don't know if I was talking with a lot of Ares people on GR yet.

Also, I get the feeling you chose your links for an alternative and nefarious purpose. :/
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#5 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think Fiery has realized that you're powerless against him, because while you could rampage and delete all topics more than 5 years old (as you've threatened to do before), he would still have all of them on his backup.

Edit: Also, I think it's awfully fun to read old Tyry posts from back when he was conceited. Here's my Tyry impressions:

Tyry in 2000:
Tyry: I'm writing a post.
Someone else: Meh, whatever. So am I.
Tyry: Brace yourself, my post will blow your mind!

Tyry in 2013:
Tyry: I'm working on a post.
Me: Oh, cool.
Tyry: You're too excited, now you're going to be disappointed.

This post has been edited by BreadWorldMercy453: 09 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'll become even more undignified than this

#6 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostAvatara, on 09 November 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

If I got it from somewhere else, it would've been Ares. Either something in the Officer's Club (the bar?) or maybe communication on GameRanger or something. Though I didn't really participate in the forums until June/July so I don't know if I was talking with a lot of Ares people on GR yet.

I don't think the Ares connection bears out. The oldest instance of "team story" there is from ferazel's post to Hehe on account of his signature referencing Cythera's TSes. My recollection about us calling them RPGs in Ares bears out, e.g. the Ares Charcter Info thread.

Also, I get the feeling you chose your links for an alternative and nefarious purpose. :/

Nope! Unfortunately, this time I don't have to do any cherry-picking.

#7 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the term was in use when I started posting, but I can't add anything more than that.
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#8 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

The term was likely popularized through #cythera. ferazel_09 was actively recruiting participants on IRC because that's how he got me into it, in Nov 2001. I don't know who came up with it, but it was probably quickly adapted to help explain the concept to new members.

#9 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 09 November 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I think Fiery has realized that you're powerless against him, because while you could rampage and delete all topics more than 5 years old (as you've threatened to do before), he would still have all of them on his backup.

Edit: Also, I think it's awfully fun to read old Tyry posts from back when he was conceited. Here's my Tyry impressions:

Tyry in 2000:
Tyry: I'm writing a post.
Someone else: Meh, whatever. So am I.
Tyry: Brace yourself, my post will blow your mind!

Tyry in 2013:
Tyry: I'm working on a post.
Me: Oh, cool.
Tyry: You're too excited, now you're going to be disappointed.

Wait...Avatara's not conceited now :P ?

I thought that was a requirement for being a moderator.

An interesting analysis. I'm kind of surprised to learn that TS is not a more generally used term for that sort of activity.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#10 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostiKaterei, on 14 November 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

The term was likely popularized through #cythera. ferazel_09 was actively recruiting participants on IRC because that's how he got me into it, in Nov 2001. I don't know who came up with it, but it was probably quickly adapted to help explain the concept to new members.

I think my best guess is that Avatara was responsible for coining it, but that it spread through ferazel. It entered his sig in the early days of the term, and if he was recruiting then anyone that came to the stories through him would use it too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users