Ambrosia Software Web Board: TS Character Killing Service - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TS Character Killing Service "Characticide" performed by Selax

#1 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:07 PM

(I apologize to anyone on #cythera whose mottos or names I missed. I'll add them if you can remember them.)

Mottos suggested by people on #cythera:

"Have an old character lying around? Too lazy to kill it yourself? We can help." —BreadWorldMercy453

"We butcher with a smile."
"All your hard work, rendered gone with a single post."
"Exterminations, cheaper by the dozen." —all suggested by iKaterei

Names suggested by people on #cythera:

"The Foundation for the Elimination of Unwanted Characters." —Jehezekel

"Get rid of your character for a lower price than annywwhere else!" —BreadWorldMercy453

"Murder - Under-Rated Deaths Exterminatory Rites" —iKaterei who added, "it spells MURDER"

The word "Characticide" was also coined iKaterei.

As some of you may or may not know, I get an evil thrill out of killing characters when chance offers. Recently, I volunteered to perform this service—that of killing a character—for BreadWorldMercy453 in the current TS. Although it appears that this will no longer be my job, the thought of doing so was entertaining enough that I joked about starting a topic offering to kill other's TS characters if they wanted to get rid of those characters. The idea was encouraged on #cythera, and I decided to start go ahead and start such a topic to see what responses I'd get.

Here it is:
I hereby offer to exterminate any of your TS characters that you want to get rid of.
If anyone wants my services, I'll ask them about any particulars they want included in there characters death (i.e. who does it, where, when, how it affects others, etc.)
A description of the character in question might be helpful if you want the character to act in-character when they die. It is not, however, a necessity.
The actual death will be done either in a TS, a flashback in a TS, or in a chron; this would depend on how the person wanting the character dead wants it done.
In addition, I'll probably run the posts by the person wanting their character killed to see if the posts work (i.e. it meets requirements and keeps the character in character).

Note: I'll dispose of characters when I can; if I have a busy schedule, I might have trouble getting around to it. However, rest assured that I will get around to it.

Here's a simple example:
For instance if one wants their character X to have a silly death, X says something to someone about knowing Cythera like the back of their hand; then X turns around and step off of a cliff that he didn't know was there. Alternatively, X is told to be on alert because there are enemies around and X goes on a big rant about how he is always alert and no one can catch him off-guard. He does this while an enemy is standing behind him listening. Of course, this enemy then kills him.

And, just in case, anyone asks, yes, I am serious. :P
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#2 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

"Mail-in impalings!"
"We kill out of pity."
"Shanking performed with love!"
"Early bird special: 2 deaths for the price of 1 if you register within a week."
"Cythera: The Genocide Chronicles."
"Nominate Selax for Serial Killer of the Year!"
"AA: Assasinators Anonymous."

#3 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

How about:
"Assasinations R Us- Two stabbed, and the third poisoned free!"
"Deaths are our speciality!"
"Pick your death!"
I will think of more later.

[EDIT] Minorities Unless Ruthless Deaths Even Rate - Selax. [/EDIT]

This post has been edited by CrazyChick: 10 January 2007 - 08:58 PM

And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#4 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:38 AM

OK Selax, as promised, I have people for you to kill.

... :P

firstly, Indigo. i think having him die in combat in the Tavern would be nice. maybe take down a ruffian with him? i'm not picky. no particular emotional attachment to this one.

Lemni isn't exactly killable... Renae was only ever a chron character... and apparently I edited into Sya and Amadeus' info that they left Cythera (their departure was part of a chron that never made it past the planning stages, unfortunately.) Katerei's death is still up in the air, and probably involves Silvre, which leads us to...

Dheiva, and why she's in the active char thread, i don't know. i guess i'll have to ask Avatara to move it. you can kill her pretty much any way you feel like it. use your imagination. ^.^

i think that was everyone for now... thank you kindly! <3

#5 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:08 AM

*sniff* They're dead? Where's the 'cry' emoticon when I need it?
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#6 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

well, not yet. but i couldn't even remember the majority of my characters, i had to go look them up. i think that means it's time to retire them (...or, um, kill them off.)

<edit- hey, you should come on #cythera! i'm all alone in there! again!>

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 11 January 2007 - 04:30 AM

#7 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:36 AM

Speaking of random characters people didn't know existed, cache apparently has a "Sasha" fellow lying around, bringing his total up to...20? 21?
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#8 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

What, you'd forgotten Sasha Romanova, the second of the Ronin? :P
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#9 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thank you, Katerei. :P

*sniff* They're dead? Where's the 'cry' emoticon when I need it?

"They're not quite dead yet." ;)

Oh, by the way, although I don't currently have any Tavern characters, I will probably use the Tavern to terminate both Indigo and Dheiva. (Note: I may introduce an assassin character to aid me in terminations.)

Edit: Assassin introduced and Dheiva and Indigo terminated.

This post has been edited by Selax: 11 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

Selax

#10 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

NOW you can cry, cache.

...does this make me a terribly coldhearted person?

if so, i've succeeded. :P

#11 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Creating an assassin character to perform the services is a good idea. I feel a chron coming on...
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#12 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

View PostiKaterei, on Jan 12 2007, 10:27 AM, said:

NOW you can cry, cache.

I might yet, and not just because of your characters' deaths; the current apparent trend towards uber-powerful characters kind of bugs me. I mean, an ephemeral assassin that can pop into existence just long enough to kill a random target, then fade away before anyone can react - what defense is there against that? :P

I prefer a character to be relatively normal, with perhaps one or two outstanding characteristics, but decidedly vulnerable. That's why I'm using Sideline so much at the moment. In that light, I'm curious to see how Talryn is going to be redefined, now that his recent experiences have left him a blank slate.

But hey, I guess that's just me. ;)

#13 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

View Postcache22, on Jan 11 2007, 02:11 AM, said:

What, you'd forgotten Sasha Romanova, the second of the Ronin? :P

I knew there were seven, but I don't remember all of their names. Flynn and Ulf are the easiest to remember. There's also Wolmark, Leandra, Trinias, and Kwon (who actually is listed as the second - though to be honest, I had to look him up). I knew there was one more female, but I thought it was someone else.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#14 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

View Postcache22, on Jan 11 2007, 02:35 PM, said:

I might yet, and not just because of your characters' deaths; the current apparent trend towards uber-powerful characters kind of bugs me. I mean, an ephemeral assassin that can pop into existence just long enough to kill a random target, then fade away before anyone can react - what defense is there against that? :P

I prefer a character to be relatively normal, with perhaps one or two outstanding characteristics, but decidedly vulnerable. That's why I'm using Sideline so much at the moment. In that light, I'm curious to see how Talryn is going to be redefined, now that his recent experiences have left him a blank slate.

But hey, I guess that's just me. ;)

Selax did mention being concerned about overpowering the character, but the impression i got was just that this was to be a 'bit part', so to speak. if it was intended for use in TSes, i'd feel the same as you, but i think he only designed it for use as a character-killer (which, as always, will require full permission from the owner.)

#15 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

I still maintain that's a lame way out.

#16 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 12 2007, 11:37 AM, said:

Kwon (who actually is listed as the second

Sorry, I should have said 'second in command'.

View PostiKaterei, on Jan 12 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

the impression i got was just that this was to be a 'bit part' [...] he only designed it for use as a character-killer (which, as always, will require full permission from the owner.)

Yes, but the other characters won't know that, will they. Think of the panic! :P Anyway, I was only using that particular character as an example, there are a few others that seem (to me) to be a bit over the top as well.

#17 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

View Postcache22, on Jan 11 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

Indeed, I did fear that the character would be over-powered. My idea was that his only real skill is his ability to blip in and stab maybe one target before being forced to retreat; in addition, his teleport causes a sound and he must wait several seconds before being able to attack. I had hoped that several seconds would be more than enough time for some of the characters currently in service to react. If it is felt that this character is too strong, I am open to suggestions on how to fix that. (On an unrelated note, I'm also open to suggestions on how to fix Selax.)

The teleport is partially because there are very few ways to kill any hero in the Tavern because that hero is surrounded by many other heroes. For instance, a ruffian assault against the Tavern would be doomed, as would most assassins who attempt to escape in an ordinary fashion. That and it'd be very difficult to have a large force attack the Tavern every time a character has to die.

(Note: the Nexus Lord is not going to kill all of the characters that I am asked to kill; he is simply convenient to have at times.)

This post has been edited by Selax: 11 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Selax

#18 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

View Postcache22, on Jan 12 2007, 11:35 AM, said:

I prefer a character to be relatively normal, with perhaps one or two outstanding characteristics, but decidedly vulnerable.

While I'm ranting on that subject, I've been looking for ways to do my characters some serious damage (e.g. I was going to break Brianna's leg during the scylla attack), but situations keep getting resolved before I can get around to it. :P

#19 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

View Postcache22, on Jan 11 2007, 02:35 PM, said:

I might yet, and not just because of your characters' deaths; the current apparent trend towards uber-powerful characters kind of bugs me.

In that light, I'm curious to see how Talryn is going to be redefined, now that his recent experiences have left him a blank slate.

Sorry about overpowering him for that post, I kept looking for oppertunities where we would get into a magical showdown and Talryn would team up with other casters and have the curse take over that way. Sadly though, It looked as though this wasn't going to happen and I saw the opportunity to resolve the curse and start a new with Talryn..

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#20 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

View PostDark Jet, on Jan 12 2007, 01:53 PM, said:

Sorry about overpowering him for that post

Actually, overall, I thought that post was fairly well balanced. Talryn managed to defeat an extremely powerful foe, but the cost was enormous - he lost himself. There's a very nice symmetry to that.

#21 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

View PostSelax, on Jan 11 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

Indeed, I did fear that the character would be over-powered. My idea was that his only real skill is his ability to blip in and stab maybe one target before being forced to retreat; in addition, his teleport causes a sound and he must wait several seconds before being able to attack. I had hoped that several seconds would be more than enough time for some of the characters currently in service to react. If it is felt that this character is too strong, I am open to suggestions on how to fix that. (On an unrelated note, I'm also open to suggestions on how to fix Selax.)

The teleport is partially because there are very few ways to kill any hero in the Tavern because that hero is surrounded by many other heroes. For instance, a ruffian assault against the Tavern would be doomed, as would most assassins who attempt to escape in an ordinary fashion. That and it'd be very difficult to have a large force attack the Tavern every time a character has to die.

Someone's been reading too much about mage invisibility. :P

I think the second paragraph is the real problem. "Ordinary ruffians can't hurt them." Well, why not? Why do heroes always have to magically dodge every single assault made on them, even if it is from a generic mass-produced enemy? Surely such an incredible string of luck these people have had in not getting hurt thus far has to end sometime.

I don't mind people killing off their characters, it is their decision. But I don't think a super-powered assassin is a very good way to go. There are plenty of far more everyday situations that can lead to an accidental death or two.

#22 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

Since the topic has shifted toward overpowered Characters....
I would be glad for any advice on how to keep my Characters from being overpowered
I'm on #cythera most days
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#23 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 11 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

I think the second paragraph is the real problem. "Ordinary ruffians can't hurt them." Well, why not? Why do heroes always have to magically dodge every single assault made on them, even if it is from a generic mass-produced enemy? Surely such an incredible string of luck these people have had in not getting hurt thus far has to end sometime.

I don't mind people killing off their characters, it is their decision. But I don't think a super-powered assassin is a very good way to go. There are plenty of far more everyday situations that can lead to an accidental death or two.

Well, considering the number of heroes and healers in the Tavern, wouldn't one have to work pretty hard to get fatally wounded?

Some characters will have accidental deaths (provided their owner wants them); the Nexus Lord will not assassinate every single one of them. I hope that there will be a variety of deaths.

Note: I also edited the character info on the Nexus Lord; his teleport is now much more problematic, although I'm always open to ways to further balance him.

Selax

#24 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 11 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

There are plenty of far more everyday situations that can lead to an accidental death or two.

like falling in a flaming ball into a beer barrel? :P

#25 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

Mind if I borrow the Nexus Lord (or something similar) for my chron?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users