• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Team stories

#1 User is offline   Macintosh Man 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2001 - 01:32 PM

I haven't been here in a while, so i don't know what's going on in the team stories, and I'm not going to jump in on one of the stories already going and spoil your party. Just let me know when you all are going to start a new one that has little or no reference to a previous one so I can be in on the fun.

Later...

------------------
Long Live Apple! Long Live the Mac!
Praise <First Thought//Giver-of-Will>!

#2 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 02:09 PM

Yay! New (old) blood!

We've just finished the current team story, and a new one is due to kick off in a few days, once I've got it set up sufficiently. The 'Alraeican Tavern IV' thread is the current 'jumping off' point; you can insert your character there, yet not get too involved before you're ready - but still see what's going on, leading up to the next story.

If your character has been away for a long time, he'd have an excuse not to be aware of recent events, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Recent stories have been fun, though, and have covered a lot of big events; they're well worth reading if you can make the time. Particularly, 'The Search for the Thieve's Cavern', 'The Alraeican Tavern' (parts III & IV), and 'The Quest for the Unknown Power'.

I should also draw your attention to the Character Info thread, which describes what's known about current characters, and the Chronicles for the last couple of months, which also contain a lot of history relating to a couple of poster's characters.

Hope to see you in a story soon! Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#3 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 04:40 PM

I to wonder about the team stories... I seems like a more serious varriation of the group storys you have at sleepovers. What is required to start/join one? I've thought of joining but I was afraid I'd mess it up. What restrictions exist on charicters? Do adventures have to take place on Cythera? Can you travel by boat and discover other islands? Does your charicter have to be a human?
Thanks for your time.

------------------
I'll just put a random number at 0008EC and see what happens.
(Famous Last Words #-32767)
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#4 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 05:07 PM

By all means, join in - the more the merrier! Posted Image

I wouldn't recommend trying to start one until you've participated in a couple, to get a feel for it; the upcoming one is my first attempt, and I'm not at all sure how it'll turn out - time will tell. Posted Image

Joining is just a matter of inserting a character, in a believable fashion - as much as anything is 'believable' in a fantasy world like Cythera. If you mess it up TOO bad we'll let you know, but otherwise we just seem to try to incorporate what we can into the story.

There's no hard-and-fast rules about character limitations, but no-one likes a 'god'; try to give your character some realistic weaknesses. Race: doesn't have to be human, we have several elves, half-elves, a winter-elf, and possibly even one Habnabbit (hope I got that right, Ferazel!)

Personally, I like to see characters that don't reveal too much too quickly, but try to keep a bit of mystery going; a good history can help, too, but not all at once Posted Image. Something unique that sticks in the mind is also good, like Ferazel's 'Hallucination' spell; no other character does that.

Adventures should relate to Cythera in some fashion. If you want to start elsewhere and have our characters participate, you'll need a good mechanism and reason for them to be there; we'd also probably like to get back to Cythera afterwards Posted Image. A past story established that ocean travel in Cythera is extremely dangerous, but not impossible; if you go too far, you end up in another dimension, with possibly no way back.

Um, that's all I can think of now, feel free to post any other questions; I'm sure one of us will answer them for you.

Hope to see you in a story soon!

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#5 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 05:38 PM

Why is ocean travel difficult? Sea Monsters? Posted Image

------------------
flamer n.
[common] One who habitually flames. Said esp. of obnoxious webboard personalities.
Ein weasel hat Sie Gehirn!

Those online traslators just don't live up to the hype.

#6 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 05:45 PM

I think storms but I could be wrong.
And in the name of Rogan,
Welcome to the boards! Posted Image

------------------
Your problem,idiotSavant, is that you go through life thinking everyone likes potatoes. Well,they don't. They like asparagus.
-friend
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#7 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 07:06 PM

Has any kind of air travel been invented? Cythera would have the infastructure to make a lighter-than-air balloon, all that is needed is hot air and a fairly airtight and light sac of a huge size. After all, the first balloon flights were in the 1700's. I guess that a storm would still hit a balloon, though.

------------------

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#8 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 07:38 PM

Actually, I've had a 'zeppelin' in play for a while now, and another couple of developments waiting in the wings... Posted Image

Of all the present characters, only Wolmark (one of mine) has as yet shown any tendency toward scientific innovation, everyone else goes for magic (not that that's a bad thing, mind); it might be interesting to have a rival! Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#9 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 09:13 PM

I'm designing a airship now, with Cythera-level technology. If I end up joining a TS, I might work it in. Current plans have quarters for seven, and food/hygene provisions for an extended voyage. It would be quite an effort to fill the balloon, maybe I'd use a valcano's gas vent for the inital filling with hot air. Hmm... Or not - it might be a tad incovenent. I've got to work this out.
-Bryce

------------------

#10 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:59 PM

Remember that hot air doesn't stay hot, so you'd need more than just the initial filling to get it to stay up.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#11 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2001 - 12:45 AM

Or you could just not explain the technical details Posted Image I haven't, but I do have them worked out.

Oh, forgot to mention the parachute, chemical hand-grenades and various projectile weapons. There's other stuff currently being written into a chronicle that I don't want to reveal, so I just hope you don't beat me to it! Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#12 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2001 - 03:03 PM

I realize that a source of heat will be needed... I'm thinking of using some kind of heat-producing crystal. The crystal was made in another demension of tech-advanced beings but it was lost by one of there members exporing in Cythera. The crystal, called the solar shard, will provide ample heat for the balloon and for the small boiler that powers the fans that controls movement. The steam-boiler isn't to high tech for Cythera, after all that Greek Guy (I don't know his name) made a steam jet that rotated well before some of the technology seen in Cythera (Pickable locks come to mind) existed. I'm still not sure if I'll work it into a team story, if not I'll probobly write a chronicle. I'm not going to have the airship armed, balistas or cannons would be to heavy.

------------------

Where do you want to teleport today?

#13 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2001 - 03:43 PM

Bryce saw that some of you have extra webboard accounts for the team storys, so he thought he would get one for his charicter. That would be me. So, I'm Bryce. Bryce = Talm.. How many people have these, anyway? I know cache22 has Wolmark, and I've never seen Ulf anywhere but the stories.

------------------
flamer n.
[common] One who habitually flames. Said esp. of obnoxious webboard personalities.
Ein weasel hat Sie Gehirn!

Those online traslators just don't live up to the hype.

#14 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 November 2001 - 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Talm:
Bryce saw that some of you have extra webboard accounts for the team storys, so he thought he would get one for his charicter. That would be me. So, I'm Bryce. Bryce = Talm.. How many people have these, anyway? I know cache22 has Wolmark, and I've never seen Ulf anywhere but the stories.

cache22 has Leandra, Flynn, Kwon, Ulf, Wolmark, and Ronin (probably a few more) that he uses.

I think Moonshadow is known to sometimes Katze (or is that under Moonshadow, I can't remember)

I have Trundaylan

GlueBubble and theKestrel are the same person.

So, feel free to use multiple accounts if it suits your purposes. Also, if you need a semi-primitave way of heating the ballons, you could use magical means to keep it hot enough to stay afloat. However, that puts a really big mana sap on the mage after a while, and usually would be something to use in an emergency (unless someone develops a better way to combine magical heat to run technology).

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#15 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:08 PM

Posted by me:
The crystal, called the solar shard, will provide ample heat for the balloon

No mana drain needed, the crystal powers itself. (Perhaps some form of fusion? I haven't figured it out yet. Ya know what they say, though: "Any technology suffecently advanced will be percived as magic" For instance, if you traveled back in time to 1056 or so, showed up with a strobe light and a few lasers, audio amps, that sort of thing, you could probobly land yourself a kosh job as the king's "Mage". Or, you might get burned at the stake. Either way, the point still holds.

------------------

#16 User is offline   Macintosh Man 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 02:24 PM

Where's all the people who were here before? The only person I recognize is Avatara. Posted Image

------------------

#17 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 02:41 PM

Yep, there seems to have been a changing of the guard. Talos is still around, but plans a fairly long absence, I gather. A few old faces have started popping up in the current story though. Want to join in?

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#18 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 04:25 PM

Talos is leaving? Posted Image
Why?

Hey, cache22, I see you are online. Please check your e-mail.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bryce (edited 11-09-2001).]

#19 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Bryce:
Talos is leaving?    Posted Image
Why?

No, I meant his character. He's working towards something.

Originally posted by Bryce:
Please check your e-mail.

Uh, did; nothing there. Did you mean you were ABOUT to mail me something?

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#20 User is offline   TheDarkDragon 

• Came up with this name when I was 12, don't hold it against
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 04:49 PM

I occasionally still check around. Try #cythera if you like. Slayer and Talos are both on occasionally.

------------------
-TheDarkDragon
Visit #cythera on IRC for all you Cythera/IRC fans. (You probably should be able to figure that out.)
Reality has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert

#21 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 05:54 PM

Originally posted by cache22:
Uh, did; nothing there. Did you mean you were ABOUT to mail me something?

You replied to it now, so you must have got my third but not second and first message... odd. Maybe I misstyped your e-mail address on the first two.

------------------

#22 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 November 2001 - 06:11 PM

Originally posted by TheDarkDragon:
I occasionally still check around.  Try #cythera if you like.  Slayer and Talos are both on occasionally.

Talos, I think, is gone almost for good - hanging behind to finish fixing one last story with me.

What are Slayer's and your IRC nicknames?

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#23 User is offline   Macintosh Man 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 12:56 AM

But what happened to Rogan and the others?

------------------

#24 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 01:21 AM

Rogan's still around. In fact, this week's chronicle was written by him!
I'm not sure that I've ever been in #cythera.

------------------
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#25 User is offline   Macintosh Man 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 01:23 AM

Heh! Guess I'm just blind or something...

------------------

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users