Ambrosia Software Web Board: Party like it's 2007! - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Party like it's 2007! Next spam thread?

#26 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

453 - http://en.wikipedia....iki/Smithsonian

Buzzzzy - thanks to my creative posting, the issue of 42 posts in "The Duel" is no longer an issue. :P

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 11 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

Wizard

#27 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

View PostMackilroy, on Feb 10 2009, 04:56 PM, said:

I hope you're not being serious...

We're talking about BMW here, anything is possible.

View PostMackilroy, on Feb 10 2009, 04:56 PM, said:

Yes. It's only a coincidence.

Actually, it was planned that way from the very beginning.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#28 User is offline   Mackilroy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:39 AM

View PostAvatara, on Feb 11 2009, 12:42 AM, said:

We're talking about BMW here, anything is possible.

Touché.

View PostAvatara, on Feb 11 2009, 12:42 AM, said:

Actually, it was planned that way from the very beginning.

I thought we agreed at the last meeting not to give that tidbit away. Now look what you've gone and done.
At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

#29 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

Its your fault for not returning my calls, meanie. :P
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#30 User is offline   Mackilroy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

Call me before 4 AM then! :P
At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

#31 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on Feb 11 2009, 01:13 AM, said:

Wizzy officially loses at partying. I know you're all going to try to outdo him now, and lose even more epically; but don't even bother - it's too late.

View PostMackilroy, on Feb 10 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

I hope you're not being serious...

I didn't make it up, if that's what you mean. The incident I described happened when I was fifteen, if I remember correctly.

View PostMackilroy, on Feb 10 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

There are so many more fun things to do instead, though. ;)

That's actually not true. There are maybe a few more fun things to do, but not many. You just have no idea what you're missing :P
I'll become even more undignified than this

#32 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 12 2009, 04:22 PM, said:

That's actually not true. There are maybe a few more fun things to do, but not many. You just have no idea what you're missing :P

I had a dream last night you and Silver visited New York and we went to a diner; if you two visit NY I will bring you to a diner, I will probably have a gyro platter.

#33 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Well now that's a fantastic reason to visit New York! I didn't even know you lived there though. Once I stayed in a cabin in New York. It was exciting, except for the dead bugs. The cabin hadn't be cleaned in a while. I also stayed in a hotel there once, for a vacation. I don't remember the vacation very well, because it was a while ago. I know I climbed the statue of liberty though, and my aunt bumped her head on the ceiling. Her head hurt for a while after that :(

I don't think I've ever had a gyro, in fact, I'd be scared to try one. I don't know what's inside them. Could I order something else instead?

#34 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 12 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

Well now that's a fantastic reason to visit New York! I didn't even know you lived there though. Once I stayed in a cabin in New York. It was exciting, except for the dead bugs. The cabin hadn't be cleaned in a while. I also stayed in a hotel there once, for a vacation. I don't remember the vacation very well, because it was a while ago. I know I climbed the statue of liberty though, and my aunt bumped her head on the ceiling. Her head hurt for a while after that :P

I don't think I've ever had a gyro, in fact, I'd be scared to try one. I don't know what's inside them. Could I order something else instead?

A gyro is a sandwich. It is from the Greek "γυρο," which is approximately pronounced "hero"–so now you know why some sandwiches are heroic*. I grew up in Westchester County, NY, which as far as I know is the only place in which such a sandwich is referred to as a "wedge" instead. I went to college in Philadelphia (which is "hoagie" territory), but now I live in the NYC (where it's a "hero").

Philly is also notable in that you can ask for a "steak" and be asking for a similar sandwich, but this is really just an abbreviated form of "Philly cheese steak" (in Philly, "Philly" is implied, and also "cheese").

All that aside, a "gyro" still normally refers to a sandwich as served by a Greek deli, which means that it is on pita, often contains lamb, and comes with tzatziki, which is a yogurt dip. The Greek deli near where I lived in Philly additionally billed themselves as putting french fries in their gyros, but most places are not given to such craziness!

* Actually, a little bit of digging reveals that is a false etymology, oops! It is like sweethearts.

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene: 12 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

#35 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I remember that time when my sandwich saved me from certain death. I ate it though.

But on the intarwebs, sandwiches are always sammiches.

On the Cythera-fun-playing-thing, I admit Cythera isn't for everyone, however anyone should try it and see what they think. I have a preference for games with engaging plots, such as Cythera, but some don't. I also wouldn't exactly call it fun in the same sense as arcade games are, but more in the sense that reading a really good book or watching a really good movie (although there are things in Cythera, such as massacring cities and Scylla, that are very fun, but overall I’m talking about…).

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 13 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

#36 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 2 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

We must also remember to blame people like Kat, who never even thinks about this community anymore, probably because her boyfriend is a bad example on her.

Just because I'm not here doesn't mean I'm not thinking about you!

View PostJacaByte, on Feb 8 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

We have the same thing going for Lily, I guess you could say. (a.k.a. iKaterei) Haven't seen her on the channel in a while, though...

I've been hanging out there since Monday and no one has shown up for me to talk with ;)

View PostMackilroy, on Feb 8 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

And what 'thing' going for Kat?

Presumably calling me 'Lily' since I started going by lilyrei on IRC.

View PostAvatara, on Feb 8 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

Do I smell trouble brewing? :P

No, that's just Selax's coffee. I accidentally spilled some formaldehyde in it.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 10 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

I don't think Kat has ever played Cythera either.

Yes I have... for all of about ten minutes.

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 20 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

#37 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

*Gasp* Sely drinks coffee!!

It's nice to see you in the channel, Kat ^_^ Of course, it'd be even nicer if you'd say something, but we'll take what we can get. (At least I will, I guess I can't speak for anyone else.)

#38 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Actually, I popped in a couple times recently…no one there. :P

I guess I can try to find time more often, though, if I rework my schedule a bit…

#39 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Mack! Avatara!

If you'd stop giving away so much information, the situation could still be salvaged!

Are you two trying to ruin everything?

View PostAvatara, on Feb 3 2009, 01:28 AM, said:

I didn't read anything in that gargantuan first post, so I'm just going to assume:

1. BMW is just spamming to reach some magical favorite number like 666 posts or whatever.
2. She didn't consider any reasons to leave a spam topic open and is hoping it gets locked.
3. She used this thread to take pot-shots at Selax, which while I'm personally okay with that, I'm officially obligated to give you a frowny face sticker for picking on my colleague.

I'd say that I feel touched, but I think you're just upset that I called locking rights to the thread B) .

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 12 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

Wizzy officially loses at partying. I know you're all going to try to outdo him now, and lose even more epically; but don't even bother - it's too late.

I bet that I could...but I don't like to include too many link to other sites in my posts.

So, I can either ambush you next time you get on irc or you can imagine that this post contains 300 wikilinks ;) .

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on Feb 20 2009, 01:20 PM, said:

*Gasp* Sely drinks coffee!!

It's nice to see you in the channel, Kat :P Of course, it'd be even nicer if you'd say something, but we'll take what we can get. (At least I will, I guess I can't speak for anyone else.)

...I do? That's funny; I can't say that I recall drinking coffee.

There are probably other comments I wanted to make on this, but I can't remember them all now.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#40 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

Did you know that coffee is a brewed beverage made from roasted seeds, commonly called coffee beans, of the coffee plant? Caffeinated coffee has a stimulating effect in humans. Today, coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide. Coffee was first consumed in the ninth century, when it was discovered in the highlands of Ethiopia. From there, it spread to Egypt and Yemen, and by the 15th century, had reached Azerbaijan, Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy, then to the rest of Europe, to Indonesia, and to the Americas.

Coffee berries, which contain the coffee bean, are produced by several species of small evergreen bush of the genus Coffea. The two most commonly grown species are Coffea canephora (also known as Coffea robusta) and Coffea arabica. These are cultivated in Latin America, Southeast Asia, and Africa. Once ripe, coffee berries are picked, processed, and dried. The seeds are then roasted, undergoing several physical and chemical changes. They are roasted to varying degrees, depending on the desired flavor. They are then ground and brewed to create coffee. Coffee can be prepared and presented in a variety of ways.

Coffee has played an important role in many societies throughout modern history. In Africa and Yemen, it was used in religious ceremonies. As a result, the Ethiopian Church banned its secular consumption until the reign of Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia. It was banned in Ottoman Turkey in the 17th century for political reasons, and was associated with rebellious political activities in Europe.

#41 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I really don't understand why anyone drinks that stuff.

#42 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Ah, viewing the forum is much more pleasant now that I've disabled Trebuchet MS on my system. I don't understand why so many people are under the misconception that it's an acceptable choice for a body font.

#43 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

Eh, it ain’t that bad, but what appears if you disable it anyway?

I noticed all the links originally from the wikipedia article were kept…or was that on purpose? biggrin.gif

If you click one link, then all of them are highlighted (the Coffee ones all become visited and non-underlined)! laugh.gif

Actually, you don’t have to drink coffee.

#44 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (Buzzzzy @ Feb 24 2009, 09:32 PM)
If you click one link, then all of them are highlighted (the Coffee ones all become visited and non-underlined)! laugh.gif

Seriously, how much time do you want me to spend on this? tongue.gif

#45 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Nummy will hate me for this, but

CODE
% echo 'This snippet of sed code automatically wikilinks stdin.' \
  | sed 's,\(\w\)\(\w\*\)\S*,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/\U\1\E\2]&[/url],g'
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This]This[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snippet]snippet[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of]of[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed]sed[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code]code[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatically]automatically[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikilinks]wikilinks[/url] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stdin]stdin.[/url]

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene: 25 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

#46 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Buzzzzy @ Feb 25 2009, 01:32 AM)
Eh, it ain’t that bad, but what appears if you disable it anyway?

Default sans-serif font, probably Helvetica. There are really two problems with Trebuchet: one is that it has sub-standard hinting which makes it unsuitable for computer display at small sizes (this is probably due to the fact that I believe it's a Microsoft font and Apple holds patents on the best hinting technologies--so I can't blame them).

The other is that it's somewhat stylized, i.e., when you're reading text that's typeset in Trebuchet, you're supposed to notice that it's not some generic font. I assume that's the reason people like to use it, but that's exactly why it's a bad choice, it gets in the way of actually reading things. Humbler fonts like Helvetica are designed not to draw attention to themselves, which leaves you to the task of reading.

I don't object to headers in Trebuchet (that is, at at least 24pt) when neither of these is an issue, but the misuse of the font is so rampant that it's better to disable it and forget.

Curiously, there are several places (including the "reply" page) where Verdana is used, and I seem to recall it being more widespread. Personally, I kind of miss the old UBB days when everything was in Monaco.

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene: 25 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

#47 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

My favorite fonts are Lucida Grande, Helvetica, and I guess Verdana, although I prefer Monaco as a monospaced font. And, yes, Trebuchet is a Microsoft font, you can tell by the “MS” at the end of it. It frankly is most annoying though in the little small text like “« Next Oldest” and the users reading topics and stuff like that (and sigs too), which is probably due to the small size of the text there.

#48 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

I have an undying vendetta against Helvetica. Pretty much anything else is okay. Except Arial, because it looks funny.

#49 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Arial is a knockoff of Helvetica; it doesn't deserve to live.

Although I've no issue with Monaco, I will admit that I prefer Osaka-mono as my Terminal font--specifically, because it allows me to set my motd to "ダーウィンにようごそ!", which I enjoy on a few levels. It's "ウブントゥにようこそ!" on other systems, though.

#50 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Speaking of fonts and Japanese, ever notice Windows's default Japanese font is pathetic and non-anti-aliased and hasn't improved at all over the years? biggrin.gif

And Arial is even worse than Trebuchet MS at small sizes. It gets pixelated and barely readable.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users