Ambrosia Software Web Board: Terminated (TS): OOC TOPIC - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminated (TS): OOC TOPIC support, discussion, and miscellanaia

#1 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

This is the Out of Character topic for the Cythera Team Story Terminated. I'll start by saying...

Can I join?
When life gives you cannons, make cannonade.

#2 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

Of course you may join! Please feel free, everyone and anyone, to join the TS! :P
Wizard

#3 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Update: I've now officially joined the TS myself!

Where is everybody else anyways?
Wizard

#4 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

I'm working on my opening post. I never was one for the 'Adventurer sets out on his quest' opening, so I'll drop in as soon as my post is written. Don't start the time machine without me!

This post has been edited by SoItBegins: 14 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

#5 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

"You know you're slow if Wizard beats you to the punch."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#6 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

I'll try to join later tonight. I'm still debating wether to use Yomu or not, I don't supose it could hurt.

#7 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

Ta-daaaah! Introducing Cyrus and Gem (the pendant).

Cyrus is basically the Rincewind of Cythera-- low power levels, high facility for making magic-- any magic-- malfunction. Then he met Gem. Now, everything's the same... except for the fact that he now has high power levels, (still) no luck with magic, and an irritable invisible friend with a personality like a cross between that of Bartimaeus and The Grinch.

Gem is a magical pendant that has bonded to Cyrus. Acquired under strange circumstances by Cyrus, it boosted his power levels, but couldn't cure his ability to make a hash of any magical working of any kind. Although somewhat irritable, it seems to enjoy being bonded to Cyrus.

That said, we still don't know its intentions, motivations, or why it was deep underground, sealed in a cave, and locked up with a security system that used four talking, intelligent demons.

#8 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Perhaps, I should just go ahead and perform the time jump? Anybody that wants to join afterward could just say their character had been with the group all along.

Just a friendly reminder, SIB, but you might want to go ahead and add your characters to the Character Info thread :P .

EDIT:
Incidentally, I'd prefer it if the group reached Odemia without any adventures. The story is supposed to occur in the past with a short space for joining, although I fear that space will be lengthened if more people don't join.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#9 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

SIB: Librarians rule oook. *winks*

I'm here, and joined. Hope that helps with numbers.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#10 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:18 AM

Cyrus and Gem have been logged into the Character Info topic.

#11 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

I plan to go ahead and timejump the characters back to the past later today.

I'm not certain whether or not they should know at the start that they have to protect Alaric, but I'm inclined to believe they should. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Incidentally, in another TS in which the characters ended up in a past Cythera, the land was shown to be somewhat less hospitable because Alaric had yet to assume the position of Land King, and I think that I will use this idea.

Selax

#12 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

View PostSelax, on Apr 20 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

I plan to go ahead and timejump the characters back to the past later today.

I'm not certain whether or not they should know at the start that they have to protect Alaric, but I'm inclined to believe they should. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Incidentally, in another TS in which the characters ended up in a past Cythera, the land was shown to be somewhat less hospitable because Alaric had yet to assume the position of Land King, and I think that I will use this idea.

Sounds good. And as for them knowing about Alaric being in danger, I think that they should be aware of the objectives of their mission before they go back. Hopefully it will give them more motivation.

BTW, I've posted with them arriving at Odemia. There is still time for everyone to join them there before they jump in the past. As Selax suggested, you can also just write your character in later as though he/she had been with them all along even if you don't get in before the time jump. The early posts are pretty ambiguous about who all is actually in the group. . .
Wizard

#13 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hmm, out of curiosity, what did the group do with their boat? Did they hide it or leave it sitting out in the open?

Selax

#14 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

i believe it was destroyed/absorbed by the barnacle thing?

Selax- I have a slight issue with your post, but i think we could stick with it..

I was thinking that Radik had challenged "it" to a duel (appearing human to blend in :?) and the party had come across Radik not to long after such duel. (He might be able to point out who it is, assuming it doesn't change faces :?) and Radik would love to mess with the guards..

I'm thinking that he behind from this timeline could help the party reach their objective a little bit faster and I don't know if he'd return with them to the present afterwards or just let time pass when the party leaves.. i think i'm inclined to have him return with the party

and stay on IRC longer, i can only get home so early :P
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#15 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:41 AM

Ah, poor Cyrus. Stranger in a strange land, lumbered with a guide who doesn't speak any language but Sarcasm.

I actually would like to see him as The Mixed-Up Magician. Perhaps the party should try passing themselves off as that traveling circus.

#16 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:54 AM

I'll try to post again this weekend; I'm hoping to be able to write something up tomorrow.
Wizard

#17 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:15 AM

I have a general idea on bringing Radik to meet up with the group, or having the group run into Radik (dueling), but I'd prefer to wait for Wizard's post or anyone else's, just so that there is a little more room in between my posts...

and what happened to everyone else :?
old - new

iKaterei said:

#18 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:25 AM

Right now I don't really have any idea where Selax wants to go with this. Does Selax have some grand scheme? Is this TS a free for all, plot wise?

I'd progress the story but I really just don't know where to go with it.

#19 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

I think the general idea is that the party is to finish traveling the way to the nearby city (the name escapes me) or at least thats what seemed to be the current idea of what the party should do from what i've caught from previous posts...
old - new

iKaterei said:

#20 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

I'm probably going to try and get a post up tonight, although I doubt it will be very long. I'm not sure when I'll next be able to post by the way.

Personally, I'd like this TS to be more open-ended, but I think that all TSs are supposed to open-ended...

Dark Jet, why would he challenge it to a duel? It looks just like any ordinary person. (I think it probably can shapeshift, being a creature of the Undine.) However, I'm just fine with that idea, if you wish to use it :P .

Selax

#21 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:01 AM

Pleeease let the party try to pass themselves off as the traveling circus?

#22 User is offline   ~vIsitor~ 

• rEsident gUest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

View PostSoItBegins, on Apr 30 2008, 08:01 AM, said:

Pleeease let the party try to pass themselves off as the traveling circus?

Please be realistic, SIB.

We're dealing with pre-Alaric Cythera. Most of the island's population (which is to say, a very small number of people) is concentrated around Cademia and Catamarca, which, coincidentally, are under the thrall of the Third Tyrant. Odemia and Pnyx are independent, but the Tyrant obviously wouldn't hold anyone who associates with such dissidents in very high regard.

Anyway, the point is, it would be terribly suspicious that such a group of well-armed individuals should appear from nowhere. Even if you did convince the locals that we're a traveling circus, they wouldn't exactly put us in a high position of trust. Besides, I think the other members of the group have other things in mind. In the future, it would be appreciated if you'd run such things that effect the entire group by us before setting our course for us. God-moding one or two people at a time is ok sometimes, but single-handedly directing the entire group's course of action is a bit much.

That having been said, I believe that the current situation calls for subtlety and subterfuge, not overt deception or direct force.
"The art of war is about legs, not arms." - General Maurice de Saxe

#23 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hm. After a breif talk I think the party should split up for a little while and investigate. Though they need to know what to look for, hence the breif talk.

Woohoo! 800 posts! 'Ello Empat!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 01 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

#24 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

View PostTwo Jacks, on Apr 28 2008, 01:25 AM, said:

Right now I don't really have any idea where Selax wants to go with this. Does Selax have some grand scheme? Is this TS a free for all, plot wise?

I'd progress the story but I really just don't know where to go with it.

Free-For-All, if you want to put in it in those terms. :P Selax has no grand scheme; in fact, I don't think he has any idea what to do in his next post. One of the things we're really trying to push in current TS's is the capability for everyone to innovate new parts of the plot. All that's happened so far is that a basic direction for this story has been set: the group is trying to save Alaric/his mother from termination.

I realize full well and know also from experience that a TS is not as enjoyable when you do not feel able to develop the plot, or really do anything at all, without waiting for a post from one of the major plot-drivers. For that reason, not only do I try to involve more people's characters in the story, but I would also love to see everyone feeling free to be more significantly involved in moving the plot; I believe it can be a more enjoyable experience for all of us.

View Post~vIsitor~, on Apr 30 2008, 05:45 PM, said:

Anyway, the point is, it would be terribly suspicious that such a group of well-armed individuals should appear from nowhere. Even if you did convince the locals that we're a traveling circus, they wouldn't exactly put us in a high position of trust. Besides, I think the other members of the group have other things in mind. In the future, it would be appreciated if you'd run such things that effect the entire group by us before setting our course for us. God-moding one or two people at a time is ok sometimes, but single-handedly directing the entire group's course of action is a bit much.

I do agree with you on several of the points you brought up, Visitor. I remember a while ago, one member spent a long time planning and preparing a post for a certain part of the story he had set up. But then, shortly before he got his post in, another member came on and instantly altered the direction of the plot without warning. As a result, one member was upset at having waisted so much time on an obsolete post, and the TS was paused for a little time while everyone tried to sort out what to do.

Now, in light of that, I see why it is definitely a good thing to run all sorts of major plot changes past everyone involved in the TS. I also think it's a good thing that it is a common courtesy to ask permission before doing anything that would use/affect other people's characters.

However, in SIB's defense, I don't feel that he was doing anything offensive. Selax was actually the first one to mention the idea of the traveling circus, and I get the impression that SIB was just asking politely, and even jokingly, if we could use the idea. So I don't think he set any course in stone for us, certainly not intentionally.

View PostTwo Jacks, on May 1 2008, 12:04 AM, said:

Hm. After a breif talk I think the party should split up for a little while and investigate. Though they need to know what to look for, hence the breif talk.

As I said above, do feel free to be more involved in the plot. This is also a good example of the other thing I mentioned, about running ideas past everyone else before posting them.

My personal opinion is that we do not necessarily need to split up at the moment, because I think that you can drive the story more effectively if you keep the group together. However, my opinion is just one of many others, so I'm not going to stop you from doing whatever you think best in any way if you wish to follow through with this idea.

Also, concerning my own post. . . well. . . I didn't quite make my self-imposed deadline. Honestly, I'm not sure when I'll be able to write up a TS post. I'll just have to see. I certainly don't want the story hung-up because everyone's waiting on me, though. So just go ahead and keep the story going, and I'll catch up when I can, sooner or later.
Wizard

#25 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

Alright I'll run this idea by everyone one last time to see if anyone has a problem with it:

The group nears the town and them not knowing where to go decide to search the down for clues ("All right gang, let's split up!). I would take control of a more leader type character than my own to suggest the idea (one or two sentences) and then say that the group splits up. People's characters could choose to do whatever they wanted, plot related or not. Just nothing drastic enough to seriously change the time line. Something that maybe effected your character would be fine for example. If the story starts to stagnate someone could simply write something wrapping up everyones adventures and continue the plot.

I want to do this so everyone has a little time to develope their character a little bit and maybe show the other TS'ers where their character stands. I feel this would help TSs in general in the long run, though I could be wrong.

Concerning the future, once the group finds Alaric's mother I feel this will turn into another chase TS. Am I the only one who thinks this? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just wondering where everyong see's this going.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users