Ambrosia Software Web Board: The Alraeican Tavern - Part VIII - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Alraeican Tavern - Part VIII First new Tavern since 2003

#176 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:43 PM

The Scribe looked at Kerran, still wide-eyed in shock over the sudden deaths, and slowly shook his head. "Not like that, no," he replied. He released the now useless spell he'd almost completed, intended to dowse the flames that were devouring Dheiva's clothes. Hardly anyone in the tavern seemed to notice when the rain started falling from the ceiling. The Scribe turned to stare at Rana. The amphibious apparition had never been heard to say anything at all, seemingly content to just make frog noises. To suddenly develop the ability to speak, just in time to point poor Dheiva towards her doom, was suspicious to say the least. The Scribe wondered who the real culprit had been.

"It's a great pity Sideline isn't here," he thought. "We could really use an investigator, right now."

Mort was seemingly staring into space.

"So, that's that, then?" asked the taller of a pair of ghostly figures that only Mort could see.

{{ Looks that way, }} he replied.

"Just like that? No second chances?"

{{ I'm afraid not. }}

"But it's so unfair!" the second figure wailed.

Mort shrugged. {{ Life isn't always fair. I mean, look at me! Do you think I wanted to end up this way? }}

"So what happens now?" Indigo's ghost asked.

{{ I guess you go through there, }} Mort replied, pointing to the front door to the tavern. The space within the frame had begun to glow brightly.

Still somewhat bewildered, the two ghosts slowly approached the door.

"It's so beautiful!" Dheiva breathed, then stepped through and disappeared. Indigo waved sadly to Mort, and quickly followed. Mort half lifted his hand in acknowledgment as the door returned to normal.

{{ Rest easy, }} he projected after them, although he knew they were beyond hearing his thoughts. {{ I wish I could go with you... }}

This post has been edited by cache22: 11 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#177 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

Jehezekel watched in horror, he felt that he should have been able to put out the flames on Dheiva's clothing, but everything had happened so fast.

Just to torture himself for not reacting faster, he grabbed a candle to prove that he failed. The flame wavered, but didn't turn to water, like he intended it to, just hissed off a speck of steam. Jehezekel was puzzled, and moved off into a corner to think.
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#178 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

*OoC*
If anyone wants me to edit this, please let me know.
*BiC*

With the return of the group from their search for the Sword of Elements, business in the Tavern was returning to normal.

There was a brief discussion about what to do with Sword and an appearance by Ignae, but that was now over and the Sword was safe.

The Scribe told Sideline of Indigo's shocking death and his mysterious killer. Selax heard about it and commented, "That sounds like an assassin called the Nexus Lord." He told the Scribe what he knew of this killer, including how best to counteract him (Selax had no magic for this, but he had worked with those that did and thus knew what spells worked best). The Scribe wrote it all down and sent a message to Cademia's judge, who would in turn circulate word in all Cytheran cities. It wouldn't completely stop the Nexus Lord, but it would make his job much harder. The Scribe then settled back to hear Brianna's story of the adventure.

This post has been edited by Selax: 12 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#179 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

By this time, Cat was carrying the Silverfish ball, and decided to stick him in his broken cage. He fit quite nicely.

#180 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

Talryn had stayed at the door ever since the group had returned and walked up to the counter and asked for a room. After being told that he already had one, he asked for which one it was and he went inside. Talryn glanced around the room, with no memories being trigger he took off his sheath with it's still bloody sword and sat in a corner star(e)ing at it.

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#181 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

Sideline took note of the dampness of the floorboards and tabletops, residue of the Scribe's brief indoor rainstorm. He dipped a finger in Mort's brim full beer stein and tasted it.

"That's a bit watered down, now. Let me get you another."

As he approached the bar, he made as close an inspection of Rana as he could. The frog's ghost observed him back through bulbous eyes, puffing out its throat as it pseudo-breathed.

The Scribe rather curiously noted that, when returning, Sideline steered a course that kept him well clear of Cat's new friend, Starfall. He wasn't altogether surprised; Sideline was a man of many secrets. After all this time, he himself still didn't even know the man's real name.

Sideline slid one beer across the table to Mort, then sat down in his usual corner, masked by shadows.

"You're sure the frog pointed at the barrel?" he queried the Scribe. The Scribe nodded. "Then we're either looking for an illusionist or a shapeshifter," Sideline concluded.

The Scribe sighed. "Unfortunately, of all the people that were here at the time, none of them are known to be either one." He turned to the lich. "Mort, you were staring at nothing and making some odd gestures, after it was over. What were you doing?"

Mort lifted his gaze from the table, and somehow the light deep in his eyesockets left the impression he was feeling a great deal more sadness than usual. {{ I was saying goodbye. }}

This post has been edited by cache22: 13 January 2007 - 01:47 AM

"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#182 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

saying goodbye, the words echoed in Jehezekel's mind. That's why i'm here, so i don't have to leave all my friends behind ever again. He sank back farther into his corner and listened to the Tavern talk.

This post has been edited by Jehezekel: 13 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

#183 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Uzsuy cast an awaking spell on himself because he was feeling sleepy. Now he felt fully awake.

He suddenly noticed he was stepping on something. He looked down, found it was an asp, and jumped back. It wriggled a little, barely alive, so Uzsuy stabbed it with his dagger.

Unfortunately for Uzsuy, his secret about his magical dagger was revealed accedently. The dagger hit the ground whille stabbing the stubby asp, and cast its random spell, this time a fireball, inches away of hurting anybody. Uzsuy stood still, not moving a muscle or uttering a word.

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 13 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

#184 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

Selax returned to his table in the corner, where he sat and quietly watched the rest of the Tavern.

Rapierian, tired from their journey, went to rest in a quiet corner; however, he kept up his guard, just in case someone tried something. He also kept his two skeletal minions around, both on alert.

Selax

#185 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

OOC: This is basically a bit of the chron that fits with the Tavern, announcing that all of my chars are no longer at cythera. You can go here for the chron. BIC:

Talryn had involuntarily fallen alseep. Him rediscovering everything and been so tiresome, and he still didn't know whether or not to trust the party that had more or less saved him. His rest is what ended up disturbing him even more.

Talryn woke up screaming in pain. He looked down at the floor and had seen that he coughed up more blood. Granted he was healed back at the tunnel, but it was only temporary.

Talryn walked back into the tavern after restraping his still bloody sword to him and ordering a drink. Once he calmed down, he headed for the door. As Wizard rose to stop him, he turned and simply stated, "I have to go somewhere" before running outside.

Thomas and Etiko had been walking up the street towards the tavern to congradulate the party after hearing about the recent quest. They saw Talryn run outside down the street towards them, and the two stopped. Talryn slowed down, "Do i know you?"

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#186 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

By this time, Cat and Starfall had spotted Kerran, and were making their way over for introductions. Kerran took an instant liking to the elves, different like him, and the three moved to a separate table, chatting freely.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#187 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

Jehezekel laughed darkly to himself, "Brooding may be fine for a hen-pecked drunkard, but I could have done that back home with the Elementals!" Then he rose from his corner, and did a cartwheel out the Tavern door. He was going to see the LandKing.

#188 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

"Could that assassin guy have been an illusionist as well?" Sideline asked the Scribe.

"Possibly, possibly. You'd have to ask Selax, I suppose."

The Scribe held his goblet of of spiced wine at eye level, swirling the dark red contents around in the glass.

"You know," he commented to Mort and Sideline, "in some cultures, they say if you become too intoxicated, you see pink elephants." He emptied the goblet, and put it down with a satisfied sigh.

"There's something interesting about Mort's tale," the Scribe continued, brushing aside the earlier events, since there was nothing he could do about them. Mort and Sideline both looked at him with interest. "Did you know he didn't really intend to become a lich? What's peculiar about that is that the desire for undeath is pretty much a requirement in any ritual for transformation into a lich or baelnorn. Without it, the person can't hold themselves together through the ritual, and they die. I say, are you listening, Sideline? What are you looking at?"

Sideline was staring, wide-eyed, past Mort and the Scribe. The other two both turned to see what was holding his attention, but saw only empty space. A little too empty.

{{ Hey, where'd my beer go? }} Mort exclaimed, seeing only an empty stein.

"Uh," Sideline stalled, embarrassed at what he had to report. "A pink elephant appeared out of nowhere, and drank it."

Mort and the Scribe looked at each other, then looked accusingly at the stein in front of Sideline.

Sideline held up his hands defensively. "I swear, I've hardly touched a drop!"

This post has been edited by cache22: 14 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

#189 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Rapierian noticed the relative quiet of the Tavern and wondered if anything could be done to cure that. He decided against drugging the drinks again—that would be too repetitive to be amusing. Setting fire to the Tavern might work, but nobody would really notice and he'd probably end up having to pay something, even if the Tavern automatically repaired itself. Then, it came to him.

He leaned over the table slightly, as if he were plotting something, and began to laugh periodically as if he had just thought of something particularly amusing...

Selax

#190 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Cat heard Rapierian laughing to himself, and decided to watch him carefully. He sounded like he had another trick to play, and he wasn't going to play it on herself, Starfall or Kerran if Cat could help it.

*OoC* If and when Rapierian thinks of a trick, you have my full permission to play it on my characters. Kerran will enjoy it when he sees the funny side. *BiC*
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#191 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

Retsy wandered into the Tavern, rather distressed. She hated her problem, and she didn't think the people in the Tavern would be too happy with her solution. But she felt obligated to tell them.
"Ahem," she cleared her throat, attempting to get attention. She did not succeed, and instead took to hitting her walking stick against the wall. After several strikes, most of the people turned to glare at her.
"I am a brilliant evil sorceress," Retsy announced. "I don't want to be evil, I wish I weren't, but I have finally accepted my fate. I've decided to take over Cythera. I do need someone to help me learn to control my powers first though."
I'll become even more undignified than this

#192 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

Silverfish was beginning to wake up, and rolled over in his sleep. *BONG* His ball bounced off the floor, waking him. He quickly absorbed the metal, and sat up. At first he was rather disoriented

#193 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Two figures sat across from each other at a table in the center of the Tavern, oblivious to everything going on around them. One was sitting in a very closed-in fashion; legs crossed, hunched over the table, compulsively sipping out of a mug of water. The other was that of a hooded cloak, nabbed from some unsuspecting patron. Just a cloak. The fabric fell in a way that implied a figure underneath was leaning back casually in the chair, perhaps making a nonchalant gesture in midair.

Alice eyed the ghost suspiciously, never blinking once. He was speaking in a low, determined voice. "This doesn't make us friends, you know."

The cloak didn't move.

"I don't care if having you inside me is the ultimate form of bonding. That doesn't change anything. I have a soul, and I didn't need yours as well. Not to mention it was damn uncomfortable!" Alice paused to regain his composure. "Look, I'll level with you. It was you following me around that got me into that situation in the first place. Quit it, for gods' sakes, and I won't find another way to kill you again."

The only response was "..."

Suddenly distracted by another thought, Alice mused to himself, "Then again, it must have been because you're dead that I didn't die... otherwise those Undine would have had me for sure..."

The cloak shrugged. Alice noticed and snapped, "Oh, shut up!"

#194 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

Selax looked at Retsy for a moment and raised an eyebrow. He leaned over to Wizard and asked, "Is she feeling well?"

Rapierian started laughing at his table. Whether this was due to Retsy's proclamation or some idea of his own was perhaps difficult to tell. (Actually, Rapierian hadn't been thinking of an evil plan at all: he had been pretending to be thinking of an evil plan and annoying everyone else that way.) He considered approaching Retsy and offering his aid (for his own amusement) but decided to wait for now and see what happened. Then, he continued to laugh his loud, uncanny laughter.

This post has been edited by Selax: 14 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

Selax

#195 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

Retsy was not impressed by the number of people ignoring her (and even less impressed by Rapierian's laughter), and she made a note to destroy those people with her mind; even though she did not yet know how to do that.

#196 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:11 AM

A strange man with a beaked nose entered the tavern and stopped, peering about as if looking for someone. He wore a black top hat and tails, with a large black feather stuck in his hatband. Sideline leaned forwar into the light and waved. The man raised a finger in acknowledgement and made his way over. He whispered in Sideline's ear. Sideline nodded, and the man left.

Sideline heaved himself to his feet.

"That was the undertaker," he said to Mort, the Scribe, and those nearby. "I arranged a burial for Toreon, and now Dheiva and Indigo as well. If anyone wants to come along, you're welcome." He wandered over to where Silverfish was sitting. "Do me a favour, would you," he said, pointing upwards, "see if you can coax Shi'nayne down from the rafters? She knew Dheiva better than anyone."

Silverfish glanced upwards and saw the little phaerie huddled on one of the beams, crying. He nodded to Sideline.

Sideline headed for the door, pausing briefly next to Retsy.

"Pull yourself together, young lady. What would your brother think of the way you're behaving?"

Retsy gasped. "How dare you?" she exclaimed. "Why, I ought to - to..." and then she burst into tears.

Sideline patted her on the shoulder. "There, there," he said, awkwardly. "It'll be alright. Why don't you come and pay your respects?"

Retsy started to wail.

The Scribe turned to Mort. "Are you coming?"

{{ Sorry, graveyards aren't really my thing. Besides, I already said my goodbyes. }}

The Scribe shrugged and made for the door, where Brianna quickly joined him.

This post has been edited by cache22: 15 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

#197 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:56 AM

A big burly man wearing the uniform of the town guard and waving badge, along with two smaller men also dressed as guards, suddenly stormed in. He held up a signed and sealed proclamation and, once he was sure he had everyone's attention, began to speak loudly in an official manner.

"Hear Ye! Hear Ye! By order of Berrossus, this establishment—The Alraeican Tavern—is hereby ordered to close immediately! Several citizens have died here recently under suspicious circumstances. Because of this incident, an investigation has been launched and I need all patrons to exit the bar immediately for the greater good of the city, so as to not further disturb the scene of the crime!"

This post has been edited by Selax: 15 January 2007 - 04:01 AM

Selax

#198 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

{{ Typical, }} Mort snorted. {{ Just when was I getting settled into the place. }}

The Scribe picked himself up from the floor where the inconsiderate guards had knoocked him as they barged in, and dusted himself off.

Brianna waggled her finger under the guard's nose. "Watch where you're going, you great oaf! My grandfather's very delicate, you know - you could have seriously hurt him!"

This post has been edited by cache22: 15 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

#199 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:11 AM

The Tavern costumers all turned to look at the guards. Despite the fact that several of them were preparing to leave for the funeral, they didn't take kindly to being told to clear out.
"Does it have to be now?" Alice complained, "we're having a nice drink. . ."
"We live here," Sideline exaggerated (though not much), "where do you expect us to go?"
"It's not my problem if you all waste your lives in a Tavern," the main guard replied.
"It's your problem if we won't leave," Rapierian pointed out.
"Get out now," the guard demanded.
But that only made the customers more stubborn.
Cat raised an eyebrow at the guards, "I don't think we're leaving."

#200 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:48 AM

Wizard was quietly watching as the tension built. He was hoping to silently sneak off to his room, but a guard stopped him, "Where do you think you are going, sir?"

"Err, to retrieve something from my room. I have a necklace... I mean some jewelry... umm my staff..."

"Is in your hand." The guard pointed out, his patience waning.

Wizard glanced to his hand slowly, then back at the man, "Oh. So it is. How'd that get there..."

"Sir, by order of Berrossus --he's the judge-- you are to clear out from here."

"But, I can't just walk out into the street in the middle of the night without any provisions. Where am I going to stay? Where will I sleep?"

The guard hesitated in an answer, but then he shrugged and examined the distraught old man. "Well, sir, to be frank, it looks like you could sleep on your own stomach and still have room to spare!" At this he burst into laughter.

"Well, I never," Wizard muttered to himself, moving to the front door. He was leaving.

Rapierian had an evil grin on his face as Wizard walked by him. "What are you smiling about?" the old mage questioned irritably. "Oh nothing," was the reply.

With a grunt, Wizard started to move to the door again, but something caught his foot. He wasn't sure what, but whatever it was, it caused him to loose his balance. He fell forward a few steps, trying to stay on his feet.

Now a few minutes before this, most likely when Wizard was being cruelly insulted, a guard who seemed to have an interest in Retsy was showing her how his club worked. Retsy was watching him, but her mind was more concerned about other troubles -- like her brothers death. "Hey!" she shouted in surprise as Wizard fell into her from behind. "Ahh," she cried, falling to the floor. Luckily, she found something to grasp to keep her balance. Unluckily, it was the guards club.

*thwack* The sound echoed around the room. Everything was silent until the guard fell to the floor, unconscious. Then everyone started fighting.

Rapierian laughed as he drew his foot back, Wizard scrambling on the floor just feet in front of him. "Get her!" a guard shouted, pointing at Retsy, who was still holding the club with a puzzled look on her face...
Wizard

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users