Ambrosia Software Web Board: The Alraeican Tavern - Part VIII - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Alraeican Tavern - Part VIII First new Tavern since 2003

#151 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

*OoC*
No offense taken, Moonshadow. :P It's always important to keep one's characters in character, and I don't mind at all if doing so inconveniences any of my characters.

Cache, I didn't have Brianna respond to Linius because I'm uncertain what she'd say.

By the way, Linius (I hope that no one else has already used this name; if so, I can change it) doesn't have any character info because he is not intended to become a really important character. I'm just using him to start off the TS, which I hope to actually start tomorrow. Today, I'm just posting a lead-in.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the Scribe was in the Tavern.
*BiC*

Rapierian abruptly came back to reality. He turned to face Moonshadow.

"Oh yeah? Don't like my sense humor, huh? Well, I'm going to—no, that won't work," he paused thoughtfully for a moment before continuing. "I'll just—no, that won't work either. Well, I could always—no, that'd would be pointless. Hmm, well, maybe I'll—no, that's useless too. I suppose there's always—no, that'd be suicidal. Hmm, well, don't worry! I'll think of something eventually..."

With that, he walked over to a table next to the wall, sat down, pulled out several books, and began to read.

Selax stepped back inside the Tavern, walked back to his seat next to Wizard, and sat down, all without seeming to notice Wizard's odd apparel. However, after a moment, he asked, "Are you feeling all right, Wizard?"

After a few minutes, the door to the Tavern opened and a small man nervously stuck his head in. Anyone who lived in Cademia would have recognized him as the head librarian at the local library and one of Cythera's leading archeologists. He entered, closing the door behind him, and walked over to Brianna.

"Excuse me, ma'am. I'm Linius, head of the Cademian library. Recently, part of a map and fragments of a manuscript came into my possession, and neither I nor any of my colleagues have been able to make any sense of it. Lindus told me that there were some here who might be able to make sense of it; he said that probably an elf called the Scribe or a man called the Wizard would be able to help me. Is either of them here?"

Brianna pointed out Wizard (who was still sitting at his table with Selax) and the Scribe (who was still sitting at his table with Sideline), and, after gawking at Wizard's Santa suit for a moment, Linius shrugged, decided to talk with him first (to get it over with), and came over. He again introduced himself and explained why he had come.

"Certainly, I'd be willing to help, and I think that my friend here would willing to as well," Wizard stated cheerfully. "May we see what you have?"

Linius carefully pulled out the fragments that he had and placed them on the table. Wizard and Selax bent over them and began to examine them carefully.

This post has been edited by Selax: 26 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#152 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

"Of course!" Silverfish replied to Shi'nayne, smiling broadly.
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#153 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Talryn sitting nearby and hearing what Linius said, got up and peered over Wizard's shoulder.
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#154 User is offline   ~vIsitor~ 

• rEsident gUest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

[OoC: Huh, festive circumstances over the holidays kept me from being on the computer for lengthy periods of time, and in the short few days I've been away I've missed a page and a half of postings. Well, I'd better catch my char up to speed then. /BiC]

Shanadar, after being rebuffed by that Rapierian fellow on grounds of 'Nobility' (which Shanadar frankly found ridiculous), he attempted to return to his seat beside Mort. Naturally, however, another patron had stolen his stool during the excitement. Breathing a short sigh of frustration, he milled about the Tavern whilst waiting for the the person to finish.

Of course, Rapierian began causing trouble again by picking on one of the Tavern's more elderly patrons (whom was apparently called 'The Wizard'). Knowing full well that he'd never get the sadistic prankster on the floor again, he waited for another patron to intervene, and one certainly did. A somewhat odd looking, but no less beautiful woman (whom the other patrons referred to a 'Moonshadow') confronted Rapierian and made perfectly clear what Shanadar had suggested to him earlier was a very real possibility (although she showed know signs of knowing this, but rather that she was put-off by his antics).

Now confident that the situation was well in hand, Shanadar was free to allocate his time to more important pursuits. Unfortunately, his stool was still taken, and Mort seemed to have been displaced by a sign. Now, that he no longer had any reason to stay, in particular, he made for the exit.

However, as he prepared to leave, Linius, the Town Librarian, came in through the door. Overhearing something about 'map fragments', and suspecting trouble, Shanadar moved closer to eavesdrop.
"The art of war is about legs, not arms." - General Maurice de Saxe

#155 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

Cat paused, and after a few minutes she jumped down, landing beside Moonshadow. She kept glancing fearfully at the door.
"The Hrothrim are after me." she whispered, trying to put Moonshadow between her and the door, with limited success.
"Who are the Hrothrim?" the older elf asked, perplexed.
"Well, as you can see, my species is catlike to some degree. The Hrothrim are our counterparts, doglike to some degree. We are currently at war, and if I and a few others came across a lone Hrothrim, it would die. And vice versa, but I heard them before they smelt me, and I ran. The Hrothrim's weapon of choice is their teeth, and they are maybe twice my size."
Moonshadow looked at Cat's diminutive [sp?] form, and nodded. "I can see why you are scared."
"That's why I hid in the rafters. Hrothrim can't climb well, and you can generally kick them out of the tree before they touch you. Unfortunately, I was on an open plain, and the nearest tree was some miles away. Then, suddenly, I saw the Tavern door, opened it, and here I am. They might come through the same way."
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#156 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:31 AM

[OoC]

View PostSelax, on Dec 27 2006, 12:40 PM, said:

Linius doesn't have any character info because he is not intended to become a really important character. I'm just using him to start off the TS

Careful, Selax, that's how Sideline got started. B) He was originally just a 'Sideline Character' used to introduce the TS 'Requiem'.

Moonshadow: could be tricky, timewise, but I can fire up iChat. The last few days I've typically been online somewhere between 11:00pm and midnight, and we're exactly 12 hours apart right now - if you can get some time then, I guess we'll see.

CrazyChick: I had no solid plans in mind with my last post, I was just trying to generate some activity with a character other than Mort. If you want to do something with it, go ahead and have fun! ;) I'll try and pitch in where I can.

Aside: I'm just wondering if this post should be rated 'PG13' :P

[BiC]

The door to the tavern suddenly slammed open, and a rough looking individual muscled his way into the crowded interior.

"So, this is the Alraeican Tavern, is it? With all it's legendary oh-so-tough regulars. Huh, you all don't look so tough to me," the man observed. "I bet I could whip you all without breaking a sweat!"

"This was what you sensed?" Moonshadow queried Brianna.

"Hardly!" Brianna snorted back.

The man seemed to notice them at that point, and sashayed over to the only empty seat at the bar.

"Hellooo, beautiful!" he whistled expressively at Brianna. "How's about spending some time with a real man, rather than these kiddies?" He pinged Alice's hat with a finger, to emphasise the point.

"Real man? Where? I don't see him," Brianna retorted.

"Um, begging your pardon, sir..." Alice began.

"Shut up, kid, I'm talking to the lady."

"But, sir..."

"I said 'shut up'."

"But..."

"Kid, how many times do I have to say it? Now be a good little kiddie and go away."

"But that's..."

"Look, I won't tell you again!"

The man suddenly clutched at his stomach. "Uh, something's not right... Ohhh, it hurts..." He seemed to slowly swell up, as if a balloon was being blown up inside him. "Aaaargh!" he screamed, and exploded.

"... Mort's seat," Alice finished, staring at the lich now occupying his original space, so recently occupied by the annoying man. Alice plucked something off his cloak, gagged, and started looking for a bucket.

"'Icky' was right," Brianna commented, screwing up her nose in disgust.

{{ I'm back, }} Mort announced. {{ Did I miss anything? I won't ask if you missed me, 'cause I know you didn't. What's this stuff draped over the bar? Entrails!? }} Mort rushed over to join Alice at the bucket.

Rapierian was beside himself, incredibly amused by the sight of a lich with a gag reflex.

This post has been edited by cache22: 27 December 2006 - 06:37 AM

"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#157 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

The Elemental Conference from an alternate Cythera, watched the happenings with interest.

"So, what do you think?" Ignae asked his cohorts.
"It is a bigger Cythera, in a way." responded UrSylph, "It seems to have more contact with the other worlds of the void."
"Its Balance is maintained through struggle." said Jhiaxus, "He'll be ever on the edge of losing his friends."
"Yes" replied Jinrai, "But that is why he won't lose them, why he will always have a place of welcome in that tavern."
"The Celebration of Renewal is coming soon, he will leave, and all of our Cythera will name him Hero. Here he will dwell, and be happy."

The portal closed.

This post has been edited by Jehezekel: 10 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

#158 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

OoC* Thank you cache, I intend to do just that! And I don't think your post should be PG13. I'm 13, I had no trouble with it. *BiC

Moonshadow couldn't think of anything to say to that, so she just checked she had a spell that might work on a three metre dogman.
Cat kept on glancing at the door, and as nothing happened for a few minutes, she began to relax. A bit stupid, really, as the door promptly flew off its hinges and arced across the tavern, knocking Mort's drink over.
The thing outside had to bend over to get in, and Cat shrieked and leapt back up into the rafters.
The creature that came in saw her, and, ignoring everyone else, climbed onto a table and tried to swat her. It was followed by two more, and they all climbed on the same table, which naturally collapsed. Chaos abounded.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#159 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

*OoC*
Thanks for the warning, cache. :P I don't know if it'll happen because I don't if Linius will be in the story. By the way, the name I used for Sabinate's father was taken from your chronicle "New Horizons," if that is okay with you.

By the way, CrazyChick, you posted while I was posting this, and, if I am to get a TS started in this post, I will have to deal with the creatures that have now entered the Tavern. I'll edit the manner that I do this to your satisfaction, if you wishes me to make any changes. Their deaths might be kind of fast, but, as I said, I will edit that part of this post to however you want it to go.

I intend to post the TS after this; I will add a link to the TS when I have done so.

EDIT: Here's the link.

Have fun, everyone!
*BiC*

One of the creatures knocked over Rapierian's table of books. Angered, Rapierian leaned over the table and grabbed the creature by the back. It began to yowl and struggle as Rapierian began to suck the life out of it. In moments, he had finished and dropped the carcass.

Selax leapt across the Tavern and with a sword that slid out of his sleeve removed the head of another creature. Brianna methodically shot the third with arrows until collapsed dead.

As Moonshadow and others attempted to calm Cat down, Selax returned to his spot next to Wizard.

As he examined the artifacts that Linius had brought, Wizard leaned over to Selax and said, "About half of the Tavern seems to be eavesdropping or trying to read over our shoulders."

"So it would seem," Selax commented. He turned to Linius and asked, "Where did you get this?"

"In the Ruins in the swamp to the south. We had Timon look at it, but even he was unfamiliar with the language, although he thought it to be some kind of Seldane language. I would've brought these things to Alaric or even the Seldane themselves, but Lindus that I try here first. Have you discovered something?"

"First, Timon is correct: it is a language of the Seldane. It was once a language used by loremasters and for writing, but it is now almost forgotten in these later years. It has been long since I last saw it," answered Wizard.

"What does it say?" Talryn asked, still leaning over Wizard's shoulder.

"Well, it's badly fragmented, and only portion seems to be intact. I'll see what can still be read," he read over the paper for a few moments. Then, he began to read out loud:

And so the Sword was made, imbued with power of the Four Elements. It's hilt was encrusted with many gems to better handle the power that it wielded, and its razor-sharp blade glowed with all the powers of the elements. It gave its user powers from all elements and was once thought to make its user invincible.

It was not so.

Seldane—Lord of the East and father of Urdahlan the father of Sabinate—was agreed by all to be most fit to wield the weapon, since he was most noble of all elements. So Seldane took up the Sword and used it for many years after against the dead and their lord. But when he confronted the evil that threatened Mayer, city of the elements, it took him and broke him, and the Sword was lost, perhaps forever.

It was not to be, although it would have been better so, for the Sword now has become a threat to all and is perhaps now tainted.

When it was found in the ruins of the city, it was agreed by its finders that it should be kept hidden and secret. So, it was placed in a secure place and most thought it lost. However, to ensure that it could be found if it should ever be needed again, its protectors left behind a series of clues that would lead to it. The first clue was a map that lead to the second clue, which would then lead to the third. This series would continue until the Sword was found...

"That is all that can be read. The rest is unsalvageable," finished Wizard.

"Is it authentic?" someone asked.

"Beyond any doubt," Linius answered, still somewhat dazed from what he had just heard.

"Shouldn't an expedition be made to find this Sword?" someone else asked. "If it's such a threat, it should be taken to Alaric where it will be secure."

"Perhaps it is better left hidden," argued another.

"Perhaps so, but, now that half of the people in here have heard about it, knowledge of it will soon become common. We should find it before someone with nefarious motives does," Rapierian spoke up.

"Someone like you?" another patron answered snidely.

"Enough!" Wizard said, preventing a fight. "Much as I hate to agree with that nuisance, he is right in this case: we must find this weapon before it falls into the wrong hands. Linius, may we take the map?"

"Certainly, but where will you start?" the librarian asked, handing the map to Wizard.

"I think that the map leads to some point in the cave system north of the swamps. We should start there," answered Wizard. "Well, I think that we should leave as soon as possible. All of you who want to come on this trip meet me and Selax outside the Tavern in one hour. Anyone who can't be there but wants to come should be able to catch up with us on the way, so let's all go get ready."

With that, everyone who wanted to go on the quest headed off to get ready.

This post has been edited by Selax: 27 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

Selax

#160 User is offline   ~vIsitor~ 

• rEsident gUest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

Shanadar listened intently to every word the wise old mage-like figure described in his translation. He had little interest in such historical matters, but the threat to order that the sword obviously represented certainly did. Anything that would damage the status quo in 'his' city simply would not do, and with more than a few unsavory types also listening in it was imperative to retrieve, or even destroy, the sword before it fell into the wrong hands.

In a twist of irony, it was that unpleasant Rapierian fellow who suggested such. Another patron took the words right out of Shanadar's mouth when they not so subtly suggested that Rapierian was the sort the sword needed to be kept from. And finally, the old man who translated the parchment, whom Rapierian had mercilessly persecuted earlier, begrudgingly agreed with the prankster's logic.

In no time, the beginnings of a party was forming with the intent purpose of retrieving the ancient elemental blade, and Rapierian was joining.

Shanadar, knowing he'd need to join if only to keep an eye on that brat, resolved to prepare his equipment. First, however, he went to check on Mort again.

When he reached the counter, he found that his stool was still taken, but more importantly Mort had returned from wherever he was and the sign that had displaced him was nowhere in sight. Somewhat relieved, he slowly made his way next to Mort, although he had to stand.

"Ah, there you are, friend." Shanadar said in greeting to Mort, "I'm heading off--there's some sort of artifact that bound to cause trouble, and trouble is already preparing to obtain it himself" he continued, gesturing to Rapierian. "You can come with if you want, but in case you want to stay..." Shanadar fished out a few coins and gently tossed them in front of Mort, "...drinks are on me."

And with that, he left the Tavern and headed towards the Headquarters of the Ratcatcher's Guild. When he arrived, he called in a few old, since unpaid favors with Eteocles and in exchange procured for himself a shovel and a pair of bombs. Returning to the Tavern, he made his way to the still-forming party and presented himself to join.
"The art of war is about legs, not arms." - General Maurice de Saxe

#161 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

Cat, after overhearing most of the conversation from in the rafters, decided to join the group. Asking for directions to the nearest merchant, she managed to outfit herself with a few vital items, paying with the oboloi she won in the poker game. Quickly returning to the Tavern, she announced she wanted to come too.

#162 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

Moonshadow sighed, stood up and began checking over the items in her bag.
"So," Brianna said, cocking an eyebrow at her. "No peace and quiet for you, then?"
Moonshadow looked up at her, smiling wryly. "However did you guess?"
"You can't keep your nose out of that sort of thing," Brianna said, teasingly, and Moonshadow nodded, seeming somewhat resigned.
"So it seems." She agreed, then looked up. "Shi?" She called.
"No, thank you." Shi said, knowing what her friend was asking. "I'm staying here for now. Someone has to help keep an eye on things."
Moonshadow looked at Shi in mild disbelief, knowing full well that the little phaerie was as like to start trouble as to stop it, but she nodded nonetheless. "Of course. Brianna.. do you mind if I-?"
"Go ahead." Brianna said, pointing towards the kitchen. As Moonshadow headed for that area, she added. "I'll add it to your tab."
Moonshadow rolled her eyes. "Sure." She called back, helping herself to some supplies for the journey, packing food and water. When she was done, she returned to the common room.
"Take care of yourself!" Shi warned.
"I always do." Moonshadow replied. "I will see you later, then." She added, waving and leaving the tavern.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#163 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

[ooc] okay, i'll cave... don't expect anything epic from me, but Alice just seems like he'd be so much fun to have on a TS that i couldn't resist. :P [bic]

After having that arrogant man (rather inconsiderately, Alice thought) explode on him, he had been rather preoccupied with losing his lunch and then cleaning the copious amounts of blood and gore off his clothing. Somewhat revolted by the process, he went outside, removed his hat and buried his head in the snow in an attempt to numb the nausea. As such, he missed much of what was going on with Linius inside the Tavern.

When he returned, hair dripping wet from under the hat he'd replaced on his head, Alice was surprised to see the commotion. He sidled over to some patrons and surreptitiously listened in on their conversation, trying to figure out what was going on. He got there just in time to overhear Wizard instruct people to meet him and Selax out front the Tavern in an hour. Bemused, Alice watched everyone disperse, then shrugged and went to retrieve his sword and bag. Not like I have anything better to do, he thought to himself.

#164 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:00 AM

Brianna gazed wistfully after Moonshadow, chewing her lower lip. Her earlier comments, combined with the revelations about the map, had conjured images in her mind of green forests and mountains, birds and other wildlife, and she was so longing to get out and be a part of it. She glanced over at her grandfather, who caught her eye and beckoned her over.

"It seems to me that this is a tale worth knowing," he said. "Do an old elf a favour and tag along, would you?" Brianna beamed brightly, hugged him firmly, and hurried off to change out of her dress and into her travelling gear.

Sideline observed the display with some amusement.

"Well, she so obviously wanted to go," the Scribe explained, "and she's been cooped up for far too long. Her display of control of the panther, earlier, also merits some consideration."

Sideline thought silently for a few moments. "You know, I didn't see anyone with my particular skillset hurrying out after the old guys. Maybe I should offer my services, as well."

"And since it involves a potential threat to Cythera..." the Scribe commented, smiling wryly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Merely that I am a student of personalities," the scribe replied, "and yours has been evident almost from the first. But don't worry, I won't tell anyone." The Scribe winked broadly. Sideline shrugged, and followed Brianna out the tavern door.

Mort sat staring at his fifth beer. {{ You know, }} he mused, {{ for someone who can't drink, I sure seem to go through a lot of it. }} He looked around at the rapidly emptying tavern. {{ Alone again. Naturally. }}

This post has been edited by cache22: 28 December 2006 - 05:03 AM

"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#165 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Silverfish had been listening to Shi'nayne tell a very interesting story, and almost didn't notice that everyone was leaving. He drank a toast "to Shi, the Tavern, Shi, Rana, Shi, Adventure, Shi, and for good measure: to Shi." Shi'nayne was rather amused by the toast, and pleased to be the center of attention. She waved goodbye as Silverfish flew out the door.

OoC: As far as I can tell only these people are still in the tavern:
the Scribe
Shi'nayne
Mort
Uzsuy
Rana (the permanent ghostly blue frog bartender)
BiC:

This post has been edited by Jehezekel: 30 December 2006 - 07:30 AM

#166 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

OoC: I wanted to put in another Tavern post, so I backtracked a bit BiC:

After translating the badly fragmented transcript, Wizard spent much of the hour before departure talking with Selax, or at least, conversing.

If this sword has even half of the power it boasts, we're bound to develop quite a following, Wizard directed his thoughts to Selax to guard against prying... minds?

Yes.

Perhaps I should not have read it so loud, he seemed regretful.

It hardly matters. Word is bound to get out; it always does. Selax replied, halfheartedly. Be careful who you trust.

Not him for starters, Wizard glanced at Rapierian, then at his red robe and flowing white beard. Speaking of which, I'm going to change.

Shortly afterward, the group set out.
Wizard

#167 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

"It seems we were wrong about him."

"Indeed, though I don't understand why he didn't return here. From our observations, he usually frequents this..." the older man gestured around the tavern, "establishment."

"I think its rather apparent now that we won't find him waiting here. Perhaps our associates were more successful?" His partner spoke quietly as he stood up from the table and put on his cloak.

The older man nodded. "Let's see if we can still catch this...'Desert Fox.'"

Both men shuffled out of the tavern, leaving behind a small pile of oboloi between their unfinished drinks.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#168 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

Mort watched the door close behind the two men, then swept his sad gaze about te room. Aside from a few drunks that were hardly of note, there were only two people left in the place that were of interest (discounting the frog, from whom the only comment he'd been able to elicit was 'ribbit'.) The wrinkly old elf looked like he might be interesting, so Mort decided to pay him a visit. He stood and collected his beer.

{{ Little flying person, }} he projected toward the ceiling, {{ I'm going to go talk to the prune of an elf. Care to join us? }}

This post has been edited by cache22: 30 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

#169 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

Jehezekel passed quietly through the streets of Cademia until he came to a building which he did not recognize, above the door swung a sign with two words: Alraeican Tavern. He entered.

Inside, all was calm, patrons sat quietly at their tables discussing the weather or politics, a drunk was singing comic songs to the wall, and a blue ghost frog was serving drinks. Jehezekel blinked, <A ghost frog at the bar? This Cythera really is different from my home.>

He looked around more carefully, most of the patrons were obviously laborers, but off to one side he noticed a lich and a odd looking old man. Jehezekel joined them, "Um,... I'm new here. Could you tell me about this land?" So they passed the time, regaling the newcomer with tales of Cythera.

This post has been edited by Jehezekel: 05 January 2007 - 09:01 AM

#170 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

*OoC* Is it taboo to introduce too many characters from outside Cythera? Because there's nothing like fauns etc. in Cythera, and I happen to want a few non-Cytheran characters. If it is taboo, this will be the last nCc I'll have. *BiC*

The Tavern door swun open, and a small figure swathed in a brown cloak walked in. As he walked over to the bar, the few patrons left noticed that his feet, instead of making a normal dull thump as they hit the floor, emitted sharp clip-clop noises. They dismissed it as being a side effect of imbibing too much alcohol.
The figure threw back his hood, and glanced around the Tavern. He appeared shocked at what he saw, and passed a hand over his eyes, muttering inaudibly. The patrons still watching him had time to take in a brown mop of hair, youthful features, and forest-green eyes before he turned back to the bar. Addressing anyone who was listening, he said, "But, wherein lyeth this tavern? I do not know it!"

#171 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

Mort looked up from his conversation with the Scribe and Jehezekel, a little annoyed at the interruption. {{ It lyeth on the groundeth, or perhaps a bit beloweth it, }} he sarcastically replied.

"Now now, Mort," the Scribe scolded. "That's no way to treat a visitor." Turning to the newcomer, he gestured an invitation to sit. "This tavern is located in the city of Cademia, on the small island of Cythera. The island itself is isolated from the rest of this world by a mystical barrier, known as the Ethereal Void. Many find their way to the island, but few manage - or even want - to leave. I am the Scribe. My companions here are Morteous Bonaparte, or Mort, and another new acquaintance, Jehezekel." He paused briefly, peering at the stranger over the tops of his glasses. "Now you, unless I miss my guess, are a faun. I haven't met one of your kind in, oh, thirty or forty decads, I should think. Please, would you be so kind as to satisfy an old elf's curiosity, and relate your name and your story?"

#172 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

"Does this," Jehezekel motioned vaguely towards the faun, "sort of thing happen often around here?"

{{ It seems so, apparently the barrier is weak, and prone to infiltration. Perhaps due to the constant fighting of the Elements, which the Scribe has been telling us about }}

The Scribe motioned Jehezekel to be quiet so that the faun could speak.

This post has been edited by Jehezekel: 10 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

#173 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

The faun walked over to the table and sat down. He cleared his throat and said, "My name is Kerran Lightfoot, and I was born in the Second Year of the Reed, near the Northern Border. As to my story, it is a long and, perhaps, tiring one. I was of the opinion that I was a normal faun, until the events recently, when I came of age. As you will not know, it is custom for all those coming of age to show their ability in their favoured areas. I was to demonstrate my musical ability, and I had written a piece showing the use of music to represent emotion. I started playing, the opening bars of my piece neutral and sweet, the shading gradually changing to represent extreme gaity, and before my eyes the entire audience began to dance. I could see that most did not wish to, and many more looked confused as to what was happening. In a few more bars the music was to represent immense sorrow, and to my surprise my spectators followed the music's example, weeping and throwing themselves upon the ground. It was obvious that something was wrong, and I began feel scared, for to my eyes, powerful magic was being performed in the courtyard, and I was afraid the oldest fauns, who, by way of seniority, were in charge of the proceedings, would believe I was the caster. The punishment for using magic to influence the performence is a crime punishable by exile. My fears were realised when they stopped the proceedings, accused me of disrupting tradition through performing magic at a coming of age ceremony, and sentenced me to be exiled. I protested, but they were adament that I was at fault, and told me to think about my exile location, for I would live out my existence there. I chose this island, as I have heard there are great mages here, who can divine the source of a person's magic, and indeed, if they have any. If I can prove I have none, I might be able to go back."
Kerran's monologue was delivered with no hesitation or visible emotion, but towards the end his eyes were shining. And not with happiness.

#174 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

*OoC*
Here come the first two terminations of the TS Character Killing Service. The "lucky" "winners" (err, victims) are Indigo and Dheiva, both belonging to iKaterei.
*BiC*

The doors to the Tavern flew open, and Indigo staggered in. Behind him, Dheiva slipped in before the doors could quite close. Indigo slumped into a seat at a table near where Mort and the Scribe sat.

"What happened to you?" Kerran asked, curious.

"I was protecting a caravan on its way to Cademia," Indigo replied, fatigued. "Repeated ruffian attacks—gets very tiring holding them off, had to kill quite a few—"

He might have gone on, but at that moment there was a low hissing sound in the Tavern and a black shape began to materialize behind him.

The Scribe opened his mouth to shout, but Indigo, highly trained, was already spinning around and leaping from his seat, despite his fatigue and the fact he had only seconds to act. However, he had been caught off guard and reacted too slow. The figure faded in, solid for just a moment.

A moment was all it took. The shape plunged a dagger into Indigo's heart and then began to fade out. Several patrons in the Tavern started throwing stuff at it, but it was already no longer solid.

In second, it had vanished completely. The whole incident had lasted fifteen seconds or less.

Indigo's body tumbled backward onto the table, knocking over a lantern as it did. Unfortunately for Dheiva, she was still standing close, and the lantern set fire to her clothing. While the others hurried to Indigo, she began to run around in circles trying to put out the flames. With the rest distracted by Indigo's sudden demise, Rana was the first to notice her.

"Go jump in the rain barrel!" he yelled, pointing at a barrel just outside the door.

Dheiva ran for it. The Scribe looked up and yelled, "No! Wait! That's not the rain barrel; it's a—"

He was a second too late. Dheiva jumped headlong into the beer barrel that the Tavern's suppliers had rather carelessly left by the door outside. There came a FWOOSH from outside and a spout of flame leapt out of the barrel. Then, it was over.

"—beer barrel," finished the Scribe, shaking his head.

Selax

#175 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

*OoC* You may have noticed that Kerran lost his accent extremely quickly. That was an intentional error. I couldn't think of how to keep writing in his accent, so switched it to normal Cytheran, then realised his accent would, in fact change that fast as he is musical, and has been since he was about five. *BiC*

Kerran had watched the commotion with a look of surprise on his face. "Tell me," he addressed the Scribe, "Does that often happen in this place?"

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users