• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

List of odd items Or normal items with odd behaviors

#1 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:00 AM

After messing around in Cythera for the past few days (yayz for Sheepshaver) I noticed that there were a bunch of items in the game that don’t behave the way they’re supposed to. I decided to make a list of them, similar to (but much less large-scale than) this old topic by Ooshmaster.

• Magpie’s end table (you can pick it up)
  • Paris’s desk (it won’t open and you can move it around)
  • Kesh bottle in the Ruffian Encampment (seems to be heavier than a normal bottle, although weighing it says it’s 1 grain; thanks to 453 for this)
  • Edible Strange Device (this is a bug, presumably linked to either the killing glitch or the mushroom steak, but it’s been found on multiple occasions so I thought I’d throw it in here)
  • Cape in Kosha with a bunch of tunics stuffed in it (possibly on purpose, I forget who’s dresser it’s in)
  • Magic arrow (appears with a graphic of multiple in-game despite there only being one in existence)
  • Light shield in the Ruffian Encampment (is held in the weapon hand, allowing you to wield two shields, once again thanks to 453 for this one :))

The end table one I only just found out today, and used it to further decorate my Cademia building. ^_^ Note that this list is not nearly complete, I’ll be updating this for a while.

EDIT: This is not really relevant, but I also noticed that there’s a tile in the Temple of the Scylla to the left of the steps in the southwest that appear as a portal on Omen’s map and are listed as “stairs” (not steps) when you hover over them, but don’t appear to be useable or go anywhere. @_@

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 12 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

#2 User is offline   ~vIsitor~ 

• rEsident gUest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

View PostBuzzzzy, on 29 January 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

EDIT: This is not really relevant, but I also noticed that there’s a tile in the Temple of the Scylla to the left of the steps in the southwest that appear as a portal on Omen’s map and are listed as “stairs” (not steps) when you hover over them, but don’t appear to be useable or go anywhere. @_@

This anomaly also occurs in the first of Tavara's two strongholds, not far from the pantry room that is completely inacessible since the entrance has been blocked off (just behind the closed door... is a brick wall)!
"The art of war is about legs, not arms." - General Maurice de Saxe

#3 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Interesting, I was not aware of the desk or the edible strange device. Is it possible to pick up the desk?

Recently, when messing around with items and hex-edit, I created a chair that one could sleep in (although, sadly, not comfortably), but I don't know if one exists in game.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#4 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostSelax, on 01 February 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

Interesting, I was not aware of the desk or the edible strange device. Is it possible to pick up the desk?

Recently, when messing around with items and hex-edit, I created a chair that one could sleep in (although, sadly, not comfortably), but I don't know if one exists in game.

o_0 That sounds amazing. As for the desk, no, it can’t be picked up, sadly. Paris seems like an odd guy, locking an empty chest and keeping a desk that can’t be opened? :D I always wanted to be able to sleep in those Seldane beds…

I’m pretty sure the edible strange device isn’t actually an item though, it seems to be basically just a food item with the strange device picture and name, though it has been gotten two or three times which is why I included it here.

#5 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

First of all, I love this topic. I didn't realize you could pick up Magpie's end table, that's really cool (:

I tried to think of any items I noticed that would fit this thread, but all I can think of is the bottle of kesh in the ruffian encampment. It weighs a lot more than a regular bottle of kesh. I think it's just supposed to be a bigger bottle so... not very interesting. ):

But I understood that Bryce invented a lot of items-that-behaved-like-different-items in his item hacking attempts. Link
I'll become even more undignified than this

#6 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 02 February 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

I tried to think of any items I noticed that would fit this thread, but all I can think of is the bottle of kesh in the ruffian encampment. It weighs a lot more than a regular bottle of kesh. I think it's just supposed to be a bigger bottle so... not very interesting. ):

But I understood that Bryce invented a lot of items-that-behaved-like-different-items in his item hacking attempts. Link

I think I’ll add the kesh bottle just because the list doesn’t look all that impressive right now. As for Bryce’s items, it’s also possible to create some weird items through the killing glitch, I’ve had some weird experiences with them. Speaking of which, it might be interesting to note that the first time I picked up Magpie’s end table it turned into a plant, but it’s worked ever since. :huh:

#7 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

I just obtained the edible strange device again, by total accident. I was experimenting with a new game (in attempt to figure out the mushroom steak), by trying to have Aethon be the first person to join my party. Out of instinct, I had Hector join, and didn’t realize this until after I had saved, so I told him to leave. Then a polyp under Catamarca killed me. So I went back to Hector and asked him to join, so he could kill the polyp for me. When he joined, I found that he had an edible strange device in his inventory! :blink: I experimented with it a bit and found that when eaten, characters don’t say anything like “Tasty!” or “Not very good,” and that it in fact does not resolve hunger at all. Party members do automatically eat it, though, when they are hungry, but remain hungry afterwards. I also noticed that both the mushroom steak and the edible strange device are grouped with homemade bread in the inventory rather than with normal food. Since party members eat the first food in their inventory when hungry, I gave Hector a homemade flatbread and the edible strange device, and found that he eats both.

#8 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

That's a really cool story, Buzzy :D

View PostBuzzzzy, on 02 February 2011 - 11:43 PM, said:

Since party members eat the first food in their inventory when hungry,

What? I really don't think that's true.. I thought they chose a food randomly. Hmm, maybe I was wrong.

#9 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

You should try giving the edible strange device to Jinrai! ^_^
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#10 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

I had understood they eat food randomly as well, and I didn’t test it much, but Hector seemed to insist on eating the cheese or the loaf of bread rather than the homemade flatbread or the strange device.

#11 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

I thought of a couple more. There's that cape (or cloak?) in Kosha with all the clothes stuffed inside of it. Also the magic arrow in LKH, it's just one arrow but it has the graphic of like seven @_@ If you replicate it (I don't know if I'm the only one who likes to equip Aethon with hundreds of magic arrows?), the duplicate will have the normal one arrow graphic.

#12 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

This isn't an odd item really, but it's always bothered me. In the First Stronghold, when the Lich in the room with the stairs attacks you, the usual purple glow that surrounds units casting spells appears around one of the chairs at the table instead. Each time it's a different chair. I'm sure it's just a bug, but it is very odd. I have noticed this strange behavior happen one other time. When I was taking the screenshots in the harpy cave, a harpy cast confusion, but instead of it glowing, the stalagmites next to it did. . . very strange.
Wizard

#13 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:56 AM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 04 February 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

I thought of a couple more. There's that cape (or cloak?) in Kosha with all the clothes stuffed inside of it. Also the magic arrow in LKH, it's just one arrow but it has the graphic of like seven @_@ If you replicate it (I don't know if I'm the only one who likes to equip Aethon with hundreds of magic arrows?), the duplicate will have the normal one arrow graphic.

Huh, I never tried replicating the arrow before. The cloak always bugged me, and that reminded me that there’s another way to get items to stick, although it’s not very practical. If you kill someone with some stuff in their inventory, search their corpse, then remove the corpse and fetch away the blood, the stuff stays there.

#14 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

Just making a small note. I started a new game yesterday, got some food from the lady in the kitchen (several times) then got Hector to join me. Immediately after that I split the food a couple of times (basically mashed the button for it) and I got an edible strange device out of nowhere. Does not work the way it should.

#15 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

View PostThe Wizard, on 04 February 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

This isn't an odd item really, but it's always bothered me. In the First Stronghold, when the Lich in the room with the stairs attacks you, the usual purple glow that surrounds units casting spells appears around one of the chairs at the table instead. Each time it's a different chair. I'm sure it's just a bug, but it is very odd.

Indeed, IIRC lightning bolts also come from the chair, although the one in the middle (on steps) was the only one that glowed for me. The layout of that area always bugged me actually, how can the chair be elevated (with steps around it) with a table in front of it?

View PostSeldane, on 05 February 2011 - 05:20 AM, said:

Just making a small note. I started a new game yesterday, got some food from the lady in the kitchen (several times) then got Hector to join me. Immediately after that I split the food a couple of times (basically mashed the button for it) and I got an edible strange device out of nowhere. Does not work the way it should.

Interesting, the divide food mechanism is clearly glitchy, but it’s rather odd how it always seems to pull out the strange device or the mushroom steak.

#16 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:05 AM

View PostBuzzzzy, on 06 February 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

Indeed, IIRC lightning bolts also come from the chair, although the one in the middle (on steps) was the only one that glowed for me. The layout of that area always bugged me actually, how can the chair be elevated (with steps around it) with a table in front of it?

Interesting, the divide food mechanism is clearly glitchy, but it’s rather odd how it always seems to pull out the strange device or the mushroom steak.

I did it again.

1. Started a new game, as rogue.
2. Did Omen's test and got the ring.
3. Talked to Emesa and said food four times.
4. Got Hector to join me.
5. Immediately after that, I split the food - once. I got the edible strange device right away.

I've tried splitting the food a million times after that, with more party members too, but I cannot get more strange devices. The one I have moves around between characters, but that's it.

#17 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostSeldane, on 06 February 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

I've tried splitting the food a million times after that, with more party members too, but I cannot get more strange devices. The one I have moves around between characters, but that's it.

It's like that holiday fruit cake that everyone re-gifts and questions if it's really digestible. :P

#18 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

View PostTwo Jacks, on 06 February 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

It's like that holiday fruit cake that everyone re-gifts and questions if it's really digestible. :P

You eat what you have to when you’re hungry. :P

#19 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

I think Nezmy is right, I think it really is a fruitcake. After all, fruitcakes are strange devices!

#20 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostSeldane, on 06 February 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

I did it again.

1. Started a new game, as rogue.
2. Did Omen's test and got the ring.
3. Talked to Emesa and said food four times.
4. Got Hector to join me.
5. Immediately after that, I split the food - once. I got the edible strange device right away.

I followed this exact procedure, and I did indeed have an edible strange device appear in my inventory. As Buzzzzy pointed out, it is not grouped with regular food but rather lower in the inventory where hand-baked bread appears. I haven't tried this with a class other than a Rogue yet.
Wizard

#21 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Any idea as to why that chain of events would cause that to occur?

I'm looking at you Selax!

#22 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

I'm afraid, TwoJacks, that the answer to your question is: I don't know :) . It sounds like something in the game data rather than something that can be dug out of a savefile, although I could probably determine the item number for the edible strange device. As Buzzzzy says, the divide food action seems to have some degree of bugs associated with it (unless the device is some sort of really strange easter egg)

Is the amount of food still the same afterward (i.e. a food item is changed into the edible strange device) or does it change?
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#23 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

The edible strange device is added to whatever food you already have. You do not need to have any food to start with, so long as you have a follower.

#24 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 26 February 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

The edible strange device is added to whatever food you already have. You do not need to have any food to start with, so long as you have a follower.

You mean you can divide food with no food and get the edible strange device? I thought that the game always says "You have no food to divide" when you try dividing without food.
Wizard

#25 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

Normally, but with the strange device and the shroom steak it generates it anyway.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users