Ambrosia Software Web Board: Playing Cythera in SheepShaver - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing Cythera in SheepShaver Maybe our last hope...

#51 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

Somebody said something somewhere (I'm far too lazy to go looking for it) about reorganizing the instructions in an easy-to-find place. Therefore, I'm going to edit the first post on this topic to have the directions and everything in it.
Wizard

#52 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

I'm willing to try making it easier to understand, but, like I said, it'd help if I knew what aspects are being particularly troublesome.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#53 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

I'm not sure it's so much 'troublesome' as 'obsolete'. Some parts have simply been made redundant by later information.
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#54 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

View Postcache22, on Feb 28 2007, 04:13 PM, said:

I'm not sure it's so much 'troublesome' as 'obsolete'. Some parts have simply been made redundant by later information.

I think most people just don't want to bother with it. That was my initial attitude, but it really does play Cythera well, so it was worth it. If you find redundant or obsolete parts of the instructions, though, just say so and we'll see what can be done.
Wizard

#55 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

I don't like having to download a new os9 ROM, my old one ought to work! :P
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#56 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

*Playing bumper cars with topics*

I don't think I had to download a new one, try using your Classic Rom.
Wizard

#57 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:29 PM

I think the Ferazel topic linked to a downloadable ROM that worked.

Selax

#58 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:13 PM

I see no harm in bumping this topic to the front page again.
Wizard

#59 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

View PostSelax, on Mar 17 2007, 11:29 PM, said:

I think the Ferazel topic linked to a downloadable ROM that worked.

For those who have been having trouble obtaining a ROM:

Go here to download a ROM update from Apple. The update will contain a ROM.

Next, go here to download a classic app called Tomeviewer. Using this application, you should be able to extract the ROM in the update. Now you have a working one. :P

Additionally, I'm following Kat's advice here in saying that the first post in this topic now contains all of the directions with an introduction, restored links, a couple of notes from me, and a screenshot.

I did that edit a while ago, but people were still mentioning re-posting the directions without noticing that I had. So, I'm bumping the topic and making sure everyone knows that the directions are now easier to find.
Wizard

#60 User is offline   kickme 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

Any way to get it to work without using Classic, mainly because I don't have it?
Programming is the eternal struggle between coders, creating better, idiot-proof programs and the universe, creating better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning

LotGD Development Server

#61 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

I see the problem. Well. . . I did some searching for you, trying to see if I could obtain a ROM file that was already extracted and everything. I found some links that claimed to, but they were no longer active.

When I was almost going to give up, I found something: this link to a place called "Avid" appears to have the ROM directly available for download. Their intent is that you can replace this ROM for a newer one so that you won't having problems caused by the newer's incompatability with certain things, I think. I don't really know why they have it there of all places, but I won't complain. What matters is that I tried it, and it does appear to be an old Apple ROM.

Now, according to this page at Apple.com, ROM v. 7.5.1 works for Mac OS 9.1 or newer. One thing to be sure of is that, even if you have obtained the Apple ROM, you need an old Mac OS to install that can support it. If you had had classic and could extract the other via Tomeviewer, you would get ROM v. 1.6 which works with OS 8.6 or above. This other one, being newer than 1.6, does seem considerably more limited. I hope you have Mac OS 9 install CD's because they should work with that ROM linked above.

I also want to address the next potential problem: since you don't have classic, it seems more than likely to me that you will not have the Mac OS 9 install CDs that that ROM requires. If you do, I'm very happy; if not, I believe I found another method to get a ROM.

Note: I have not tried the following method myself. It sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not a computer genius, so it may or may not work. No idea. Anyways, if you have an older OS, say Mac OS 8.5 or something, insert the install disc into your comp. Open it in Mac OS X and locate the ROM on the disc. If you can find it, copy it to your computer and see if you can launch Sheepshaver using it. Then use the same OS discs and install Mac OS on your Sheepshaver partition. Again, I have not tried this. I don't know if you can even locate the ROM directly on the disc, but it can't hurt to give it a try if all else fails.

If nothing works, post again, and we'll see if anything else can be done. . .
Wizard

#62 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

Wizard think you could take a crack at the ferazel delima?

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...104947&st=0

EDIT: Whoops looks like you've already seen that. My bad.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 08 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

#63 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:24 AM

View PostTwo Jacks, on Jun 8 2007, 09:56 PM, said:

Wizard think you could take a crack at the ferazel delima?

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...104947&st=0
EDIT: Whoops looks like you've already seen that. My bad.

Yes, that was the basis for this topic. I was very relieved to find that Cythera runs in Sheepshaver, but it is still very unfortunate that Ferazel does not. I don't have any idea why Ferazel doesn't. Sheepshaver emulates the old Mac OS's in every aspect as far as I can tell, yet it must be lacking something. Maybe some library or extension that Ferazel needs to run is not loaded by Sheepshaver? Don't know.

Although, I may do some looking into it, see if I can find something that isn't in Sheepshaver.
Wizard

#64 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:29 AM

View PostThe Wizard, on Jun 11 2007, 10:24 PM, said:

Yes, that was the basis for this topic. I was very relieved to find that Cythera runs in Sheepshaver, but it is still very unfortunate that Ferazel does not. I don't have any idea why Ferazel doesn't. Sheepshaver emulates the old Mac OS's in every aspect as far as I can tell, yet it must be lacking something. Maybe some library or extension that Ferazel needs to run is not loaded by Sheepshaver? Don't know.

Although, I may do some looking into it, see if I can find something that isn't in Sheepshaver.

Awsome! Thanks everything and anything is appreciated! ;)

Man I really need to get back to work on my level set... 3 levels from the half point... then I'm posting it up... Yeah, need to get on that. :P

#65 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:24 PM

Two Jacks, I did do some quick looking around online. As far as I can tell, mostly they claim that Sheepshaver emulates everything from the original Mac OS, or, if it doesn't, I can't find any specific things it doesn't. I wish I could.

I don't know what's causing Ferazel's problem. But I'm not giving up on it, I'll keep my ears open. For now, though, I'm afraid I have nothing for you. :P
Wizard

#66 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on Jun 30 2007, 10:24 AM, said:

Two Jacks, I did do some quick looking around online. As far as I can tell, mostly they claim that Sheepshaver emulates everything from the original Mac OS, or, if it doesn't, I can't find any specific things it doesn't. I wish I could.

I don't know what's causing Ferazel's problem. But I'm not giving up on it, I'll keep my ears open. For now, though, I'm afraid I have nothing for you. :P

I was wondering why Harry the Hansom Executive runs fine but not Ferazel. They're both made with the same editor... I don't have the access but you might want to see the differences between the two, what does one have that the other doesn't? Maybe something could be extracted from Harry to boot Ferazel. Also try taking out all the music and then starting it up, I've had problems ith Ferazel music before.

I don't want to impose, and you don't have to do any of this if you don't want to. If you do, thanks, thanks alot.

Good luck,
Two Jacks

EDIT: Just thought of this, Ferazel and Harry were both made with the MASCOT editor. Might want to see if MASCOT will run in sheep shaver, and if you can open a world data file with it as well. Mine will be up soon ;)

Here's a link: http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/vftp/sho...lEditor.sit.bin

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 02 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

#67 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

Well, for one thing, note that Harry runs fine on Classic while Ferazel goes 2fps whenever you cast a spell. So obviously they work differently, but I'm not sure, wait hold on, isn't Ferazel only for OS 8.1+?

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 07 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

#68 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

View PostBuzzzzy, on Jul 7 2007, 02:36 PM, said:

Well, for one thing, note that Harry runs fine on Classic while Ferazel goes 2fps whenever you cast a spell. So obviously they work differently, but I'm not sure, wait hold on, isn't Ferazel only for OS 8.1+?

Well Harry is less detailed than Ferazel. Also the Ferazel documentation also says if you have a slower mac to try lowering the detail and all that, and that some video cards may not work. Probally better if you read it yur self. I don't know about the OS 8.1+ compatability thing, all it says in the documentation and on the website is that you need a PPC.

#69 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

The reason I think that is because it doesn't work on my old PowerMac running OS 8.

#70 User is offline   kickme 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

View Postkickme, on Jun 9 2007, 08:34 AM, said:

Any way to get it to work without using Classic, mainly because I don't have it?

Following this up, it appears that the CD that came with my parents OS 9 computers, wont work with my MacBook Pro.
Programming is the eternal struggle between coders, creating better, idiot-proof programs and the universe, creating better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning

LotGD Development Server

#71 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

View Postkickme, on Jul 26 2007, 02:48 PM, said:

Following this up, it appears that the CD that came with my parents OS 9 computers, wont work with my MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, my experience with CDs that come packaged with a computer is that they are specifically designed for installation on the machine they came with and will not install an OS on another computer. I'm sure you could find a copy of OS 9 on eBay, but that, of course, costs money :P

Two Jacks: I haven't really done anymore checking with the Ferazel dilemma, but I did look up the requirements in the FAQ section. "Ferazel's Wand requires a Macintosh running OS 8.6 to OS 9.6, with a CD-ROM Drive, 256 Color Screen." My computer meets all of those requirements except my Sheepshaver is running on Mac OS 8.5. I don't know how different OS 8.5 was from 8.6 or if that's causing the problem, but it's a thought.
Wizard

#72 User is offline   zamzx zik 

• Black man in the White house
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on Aug 5 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

Unfortunately, my experience with CDs that come packaged with a computer is that they are specifically designed for installation on the machine they came with and will not install an OS on another computer. I'm sure you could find a copy of OS 9 on eBay, but that, of course, costs money :P

Sadly, I think the proscess of setting up sheepshaver is the biggest hurdle. Many people who own macs have os9, but simply don't know how to set up sheepshaver, or have the time.

Perhaps someone can upload a copy, that has a folders with "Put XXX file here" and "XXX file there"
And have it pre-programmed to look in those folders for the files? That would work for most people, I think.
It would defininitly be useful if someone could do that. (Or I could badger Nummy to make me a copy)
Have I reached the stupid quota?

#73 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

*Bump*

Somebody mentioned that they wanted to play Cythera again, so I felt I should bump this topic to the front page instead of making people look for it.
Wizard

#74 User is offline   sinclair44 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

It's awesome that Cythera works, I'll have to try it myself before too long. I'm also very glad that my instructions that I wrote up have been so helpful for everyone (both here and in the Ferazel thread).

Having read the thread, here are a couple of things to note. SheepShaver does not care what the extension on the extra hard drive for file transfer is, so you can indeed just call it share.iso or whatever, as someone else pointed out. However, be very very careful not to EVER have it mounted in OS X when SheepShaver is running; you're guaranteed to corrupt it, and you could kernel panic OS X as well. (As a matter of fact, the os9hd image is also an ISO, which you can rename and mount. Probably not a good idea, since OS X tends to screw up the 'magic' of certain disk images which OS 9 probably requires. I've never actually tried it.)

And regarding JIT... if you're on Intel, definitely turn it on, it will help a lot. On PPC, you do NOT want to use this, it won't work, and you're directly running instructions on the CPU so it's pointless anyways. (I'm not sure if you are even allowed to turn it on, I haven't used SheepShaver in a while).

Oh, one more note... there are newer builds available from the emaculation forums, right now the most current build is available at http://emaculation.c...opic.php?t=5004 (not sure what has changed since the May build).
In the beginning, all was NULL, or perhaps (void*).
-- Vega Strike introduction
One, Two, Three, Pfhor

#75 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the information (and the original instructions and information about SheepShaver), sinclair44 :P .

I was completely unaware that a newer version of SheepShaver was out (although I'm sad to say that it seems a bit skippier when the character walks but I haven't tested it much).

Selax

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users