Ambrosia Software Web Board: Some issues to be resolved - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some issues to be resolved

#1 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:01 PM

The world of Cythera is rapidly fragmenting under our guidance. We will probably soon face a point when we will no longer agree on what happens in the Cytherian future.
Already, seeds of discontinuity are sown, will there be a New Empire, a Confederation, or a continuing Monarchy for Cythera’s future?

I thus feel it imperative that we hold a council to resolve which parts of the future that has been portrayed in the recent glut of future chrons is canonical. We should try in earnest to, if possible, consolidate a time-line. I realize my own rather controversial future will probably be mostly struck down, but I am willing to accept this. On the other hand, I also may no longer be able to continue contributing to Cythera, if conditions become too unfavorable.

I know this is a thorny issue, but it is one we must confront before it is too late to recover, and we end up with a major schism on our hands.

To formaly convene the council -
This is too be resolved by debate. Post any elements of anyone's future/present creation you find objectionible. The creator or others are then free to defend/attack the point. At some reasonible point, after both sides have been heard, we will vote on the issue and decide if it is cannon or not.

------------------
"Why do these candles say T-N-T?" - (famous last words 104)

Where do you want to [url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm"]teleport[/url] today?

"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#2 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:08 PM

And people wonder why I don't read very many chronicles... Posted Image

Personally, I think whatever future "we" decide "Cythera" will have should take place far into the future. I've been trying to time most of the Team Stories far enough ahead that it gives gandreas a significan gap to do what he wants to do with the Cythera world in the realm of sequels and such, and I'd recommend we keep that gap there. A few decades, or a decent chunk of years (40-120) should be plenty sufficent.

------------------
"I hate that! Your answers are always short, precise, and utterly useless!"
"Yes."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#3 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:14 PM

.Issue - Too Many Elves

I hate to raise the first issue, and I know this will not be received well...

I object to so many elves.

I can understand one or two, for variety. Fine. But there is a veritable preponderance of them of late. They aren't even present on the Cytherian world, have (With the exception of Moonshadow) almost no background story, and are merrily plucked form the annals of LotR, and yet they have almost as many members as humans do.

Any character should have background. "I'm a dark elf from suchandsuchland" doesn't count.
Characters need not only personal backgrounds, but their race needs one as well. Horgan is a dwarf, he has a limited personal background, but his race is well documented for the benefit of readers.

Some characters don't really need as much race background, such as humans. We all know about them, so we can focus on personal background for human characters.

Anyway, I think the elf plague has got to stop. I vote for keeping the established elves, that have been around for more than a year, but I think the new ones should be removed.
Or, preferably, they could be written into the world as a race. That would also fix the problem of their background, with much less detriment to elf-users.

------------------

Where do you want to [url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm"]teleport[/url] today?

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#4 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:30 PM

I do agree that there are too many elves. One of the reasons I haven't publicized my racial background is, well, it wasn't really related to cythera - they usually got stranded here for some reason or another.

Then again, my dark elves made a brief appearance, and then vanished - you may hear from them in the future, you probably will not - but I was using them to set up for a significant event in the future, not to mention the story I've been writing interspersedly on Cythera also has a continuation elsewhere. They only remain in the character info so people know at least something about who they are.

As for my recent elf, Lemenath, he's staying for the duration of the story he is in. (if you haven't noticed, I could also argue he hasn't taken up residence on cythera Posted Image) He might hang around for a bit afterwards (if he gets that far)

------------------
"Yes."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#5 User is offline   theKestrel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:34 PM

Well, do you really care if all the stories make sense together?

------------------
Legends fade and die.
-
Thinking for yourself is a wonderful thing.
Growth through the Cross.

#6 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:37 PM

They don't, as newer ones come the older ones are neglected.

Which might be a good approach to take after all. Posted Image

------------------
"Yes."

#7 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Avatara:

Which might be a good approach to take after all.   Posted Image

No! That's just asking for trouble. We have to resolve the issues, not sweep them under the carpet.

------------------

#8 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:11 PM

I object to the getting rid of less than a year old elves. I have only created 2! Larc, and Martel. I want them to stay. I have planned a backround story for them and their race (Yetsonian Elves) in a couple of chronicles. I would like them to stay. They have been in two TS's, and it might take a while to come up with a good reason for them to leave. They are my main characters, and I don't want them erased. I would be happy to provide sufficient documentation. As for the rest of the complaint, yes, there are too many. I am sorry, as I did not realise how many there were when I created them.

------------------
"To listen, one must be silent." -Ogion, A Wizard of Earthsea
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#9 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:28 PM

If we get people to stop cross-referencing things (like cache) we could have each story pretend to be in its own seperate universe (save that characters retain developments they may have had). Most people ignore the fact that what they are doing is heavily contradicting something already said/done, and that's a chunk of the problem. Besides, if everything was unrelated, we could also have more people active in more of the stories without having to struggle in inventing a new character, or running fifteen personalities at once.

This way we also settle the fact that some people strongly dislike events someone has set forth somewhere that contradict with their own personalities.

Of course, establishing specific things that everyone needs to follow (that took place in all futures) that are set in stone would be a good idea. An example would be that the events in the game of Cythera everyone would have to acknowledge took place. Also, the fact that the tavern exists in Cademia would be another thing. Posted Image

------------------
"Yes."

#10 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:52 PM

There are no issues. No-one should be bound by someone else's vision of the future, except to the extent they themselves choose. This discussion is moot.

------------------
The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#11 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:56 PM

Originally posted by cache22:
There are no issues. No-one should be bound by someone else's vision of the future, except to the extent they themselves choose. This discussion is moot.

Then why do you take to caring about Wolmark's feelings about the confederation, possible future tampering with the etheral void, et cetera?

The discussion is far from moot, comrade. Little wreaks things quicker than discontinuity in fiction.

------------------

#12 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:04 PM

You do have a point though, if everyone just starts ignoring what they don't like, the universe will be in chaos.

------------------
"Yes."

#13 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:06 PM

I personally don't see a problem with having several mutually contradictory time-lines. The purpose of this board is to have fun, not create a flawless alternate reality.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#14 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Slayer:
I personally don't see a problem with having several mutually contradictory time-lines. The purpose of this board is to have fun, not create a flawless alternate reality.

Its not fun if it does not make sense. If we want to settle on having two diffrent time lines, or even maybe three, then so be it, but at this rate each poster is going to have a their own future. That's just plain not good.

------------------

#15 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:20 PM

Actually, that's just fine. Its been done for some time now, and probably will continue to be done in the future. This way you don't have to worry about arguements like "my character wouldn't let that happen." Or things like "I don't think my characters would want to live in that future."

------------------
"Yes."

#16 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:20 PM

Oh heck, first people ask for honest opinions about their chrons, and when they get something negative, they get all worked up over it. If you like the way your Cythera is going, then that's fine with me.
But I don't think a single person has the right to set a future for Cythera and think it has to be generally accepted, or else....

------------------
Wer denken kann, ist klar im Vorteil.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#17 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Moonshadow:
Oh heck, first people ask for honest opinions about their chrons,

I ment my writing. Cache's McGuffin comment comes to mind as an example of a good comment.
I also try my best to be true to other people charicters, and as cache can testify, am willing to make adjustments to my text when people think their charicters are behaving oddly.

------------------

#18 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Bryce:
I ment my writing.

Ah, so I'm not allowed to comment on the plot?
After all, the plot is still the more important part of a chron...

------------------
Wer denken kann, ist klar im Vorteil.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#19 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:55 PM

You asked for opinions, you got them. You don't have to like them, but realize they are other people's opinions, not yours. You don't have to agree with them, you don't have to disagree with them. You can read them, you can chose to ignore them. However, if you ask for opinions, expect to get them.

------------------
"Yes."

#20 User is offline   Tantalum Sunrise 

Posted 30 July 2002 - 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Moonshadow:
Ah, so I'm not allowed to comment on the plot?
After all, the plot is still the more important part of a chron...

Nah, go ahead and comment the daylights out of it. I realize my reply was a little touchy, sorry. The quality of a plot is also an issue I care about, but 'I dissagree with your view of the Cytherian universe' is kinda diffrent from 'Your plot was weak because of suchandsuch'

------------------
Tantalum - grey blue metallic element used in electronics. Also way cooler than Osmium.

#21 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 04:02 PM

Blast, bad karma insulator account! Sneaking out like that...

------------------

#22 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 04:34 PM

... at this rate each poster is going to have a their own future. That's just plain not good.

Actually, in terms of chronicles, that's exactly how it should be. Do you really think, if there ever is a Cythera 2, that it's going to conform to the worlds we've created based on the original? No. Glenn has his own ideas, and he should stick to them.

------------------
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#23 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 04:45 PM

Then why do you take to caring about Wolmark's feelings about the confederation
That was a matter of characterisation. The Ronin simply wouldn't be comfortable in that world.

possible future tampering with the etheral void, et cetera?
At the time, I was still trying to hold to the 'single future' idea. I hadn't considered a few of the broader issues.

The discussion is far from moot, comrade. Little wreaks things quicker than discontinuity in fiction.
True, but not exactly relevant. Since chronicles are (usually) written by single individuals, they should each be considered in isolation. No connection to any other chronicle or TS should be assumed unless it's explicitly woven into the chronicle in question. I've chosen to link mine into several that preceded them, but I'll be ignoring others. It'll be entirely at my own whim.

TSs are a different matter. We should try to keep continuity there.

------------------

#24 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:07 PM

I disagree with that last statement. I think TSes should be the same way as chronicles. (if you want examples, I can find some) Unless explicitly written into the plot of the story, it should have no real relation to other stories.

------------------
"Yes."

Oh - if anyone wonders, I edited these two posts for language content.

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-30-2002).]

#25 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:15 PM

It was also made fairly clear (by the time I joined) that OA (and other stories) were set long after the current TSs. So, no conflict.

------------------

[This message has been edited by cache22 (edited 07-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-30-2002).]

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users