Ambrosia Software Web Board: Some issues to be resolved - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some issues to be resolved

#26 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:31 PM

Hm...the current stories of the time perhaps. Quite a few years have passed since you joined, and the pre-set dates that were agreed upon have been long passed.

Another reason to make the stories unrealated is its quite difficult to figure out which one goes where. And if new characters join along the way, where are they in older stories? What happens to them, how can you explain it?

You say let the chronicles exist in their own timelines unless it specifically mentions being related to another chronicle or as such. You also say the team stories should all exist in one timeline. The problem lies in the merging of the two, if the team stories were entirely independant of chronicles that would work. However, you've tied in your chronicles with the team stories. That's nice for a continuing plotline, but the problem lies in other people tying their chronicles in with the stories, and then having contradictions between them. (they exist now, you just have to look for them)

Since a good portion of people have chosen to inter-relate the chronicles with the team stories, it would make more sense to have the team stories exist in their own indepenant timelines.

------------------
"I hate that! Your answers are always short, precise, and utterly useless!"
"Yes."

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-30-2002).]
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#27 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:50 PM

I don't get why you all bother with timelines, anyway. It makes life (and posting) so much more complicated, and I still don't really know which TS goes where. Sure, you can base one on another, but why is it necessary that they're all related and all fit together?
Frankly, it isn't. I don't get why a good idea should be disregarded just because "this TS explicitly states it can't happen."
Fine, let Bryce have his technological Cythera. Let me have my fantasy Cythera. It would be possible, if you just stopped worrying about timelines. You don't have to take part in a TS if you don't like the concept, but that doesn't mean you have to eliminate the possibility that this particular TS takes place.
Posting here is just not as fun as it used to be, because some people seem to think everything has to be clearly defined. Well, I don't. I didn't say anything, on the one hand because I didn't understand the fuss, on the other hand - and more importantly - because it didn't interfere with my personal fun. (Yes, fun. For goodness' sake, people, I thought that's what we're doing this for!!)

------------------
Wer denken kann, ist klar im Vorteil.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#28 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 06:13 PM

We have failed to derail the eminent schism. I wonder if Cythera Chrons are doomed... Posted Image

------------------
"Why do these candles say T-N-T?" - (famous last words 104)

Where do you want to [url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm"]teleport[/url] today?

"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#29 User is offline   Sephiroth 

Posted 30 July 2002 - 06:14 PM

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ok I had to get that out. Now can we all try this a little differently? For example the backround of Elves isn't a problom for me if people want I can post a history of all forms of Elves. Next will people please organize their thoughts into a list of reforms to be changed, added, removrd, etc. Then our moderators could decide what should be done about.... the world of Cythera. And finally the webboards will be peaceful again.

------------------
Mac is just perfect spelled wrong

#30 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Bryce:
We have failed to derail the eminent schism. I wonder if Cythera Chrons are doomed...   Posted Image

Its a months-old thorn, this just helped bring it to the surface. You're right, we need a decision once and for all.

------------------
"Yes."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#31 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Moonshadow:
I don't get why you all bother with timelines...
(Yes, fun. For goodness' sake, people, I thought that's what we're doing this for!!)
Point taken. Thank goodness one of us kept their sanity. Posted Image

I concede the point on TSs, and that's the last you'll hear from me on the matter. Live and let live, and for pity's sake, have fun doing it! Posted Image

------------------
The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#32 User is offline   Happy Dagger 

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:19 PM

go moonshadow and all and btw. this is sephiroth i will be Happy Dagger from now on but I will keep my people.

------------------
Aim, Shoot, Drink beer, Aim , Shoot...
Hunters Agenda

#33 User is offline   Talos 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:27 PM

My personal opinion is that chronicles, as they are (for the most part) written monolithically by single individuals, ought to have separate universes. Or, if they continue from a TS, should not affect any team stories. With team stories, they can be related however they want... however, people should wary from trying to connect them all. The TS legacy is far from a jigsaw puzzle: it is very convoluted, and if you try to splice it together you'll get a mess.

------------------
Bronze: the other gold metal.   | |   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...
Bacchus Publishing: [url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evo&category=guides&display=date&file=ChroniclesByJake101.sit.hqx"]Chronicles by Jake101: the unposted chapters[/url].
Bronze: the other gold metal.   ||   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...
Bacchus Publishing: [url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evo&category=guides&display=date&file=ChroniclesByJake101.sit.hqx"]Chronicles by Jake101: the unposted chapters[/url].

#34 User is offline   theKestrel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 08:37 PM

Damn...32 posts in one day...that has to be one of the highest scoring topics on this board. Posted Image

------------------
Legends fade and die.
-
Thinking for yourself is a wonderful thing.
Growth through the Cross.

#35 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 08:55 PM

OK, who's going to volunteer to start the next controversy? Posted Image

------------------
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#36 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 09:03 PM

Originally posted by cache22:
OK, who's going to volunteer to start the next controversy?   Posted Image

Aren't we still on the issue of the need for a unified story line?

------------------

Where do you want to [url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm"]teleport[/url] today?

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#37 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 10:09 PM

No, because everyone but you is fine with multiple storylines. (read up)

------------------
"Yes."

#38 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2002 - 10:10 PM

[quote]Originally posted by theKestrel:
Damn...32 posts in one day...that has to be one of the highest scoring topics on this board.    Posted Image

------------------
"Yes."

#39 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2002 - 05:56 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Bryce:
I wonder if Cythera Chrons are doomed...   Posted Image

Actually, probably the only reason I'd stop writing chronicles is if I wanted to concentrate on trying to do something longer, maybe book length - which I'd anticipate having to spend a couple of years on. But my current ideas are too much fun to put aside for that, just yet. Posted Image

------------------

#40 User is offline   Therru Flame 

Posted 31 July 2002 - 10:06 AM

Originally posted by cache22:
maybe book length

Now, I'm not saying that you should stop chronicles, but that would be very, very good. Posted Image

------------------
Which way will the
balance swing? To the
east or to the west?

#41 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2002 - 10:08 AM

Stupid account! Sneaking out like that! How do you keep that under control, Cache?

------------------
"To listen, one must be silent." -Ogion, A Wizard of Earthsea
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#42 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2002 - 12:10 PM

Wow, that makes three of you that posted under the wrong account.

------------------
"Yes."

#43 User is offline   gandreas 

Posted 31 July 2002 - 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Avatara:
And people wonder why I don't read very many chronicles...   Posted Image

And I don't read any of them (thankfully they are mostly clearly marked), for the exact same reason that J Micheal Straczynski doesn't want to come within 100 yards of "fan fiction".

Personally, I think whatever future "we" decide "Cythera" will have should take place far into the future.  I've been trying to time most of the Team Stories far enough ahead that it gives gandreas a significan gap to do what he wants to do with the Cythera world in the realm of sequels and such, and I'd recommend we keep that gap there.  A few decades, or a decent chunk of years (40-120) should be plenty sufficent.

Well, technically, nothing in the team stories is canon. Any future plot lines would be completely inconsistent with them (trust me on this one - my grand plan included some _major_ happenings - and no, I'm not telling).

My opinion - just keep individual storylines consistent, don't worry about making them all consistent with each other.

------------------
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know...

#44 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2002 - 03:06 PM

Okay, if Mr. Andreas says so, then it's fine by me.
But can you _please_ give me an email address for yourself, Mr. Andreas?

------------------

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users