Ambrosia Software Web Board: What would the Ares universe be like 100 years after the game? - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would the Ares universe be like 100 years after the game?

#1 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2000 - 03:24 PM

What would the Ares universe be like 100 years after the game?

I'd have to say I think the humans would steal technology until they subjugated or killed all the races we know and love. I'm not too optimistic about human nature.

Either that or the Ishimans show their dark side and kill us all first.

------------------
*Error: target is violating the laws of physics*
*Error: target is locally exceeding c*
*Error: unable to determine if target exists or not*
*Error: target cannot be hit*
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#2 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 04:16 PM

The Ishiman have kept their peace for centuries. They are timid little furry animals with big brains. That's all.

The Cantharan Order would probably have collapsed by then, probably from a sacking by the combined fleets of Earth and Elejee (another enemy of Cantharis). Without the Order closely watching, several Planets will be infected with the Boodan-Virus-Saturated Asteroids and a new evil will rise when the Boodan Zealots reform.

Gaitor will be free and will rise quickly once again and become a dominant power in the Galaxy (It has done this in the past). They will be mostly peacfull but the Obish, being as dumb as they are, will probably go to war and lose against them.

Meanwhile the Salrilians and the Audemedons will just sit back in a corner and continue to be as enigmatic as ever. The overzealous Humans will try to invade them too but will be soundly defeated each time. Gateships will be a thing of the past as new jumpgate tech. comes to light, so fleets will be bigger and faster-moving.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Alduran Outlaw Rick Blazer
StarLance
[image removed]

#3 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 November 2000 - 05:03 PM

*deleted* (whoops, didn't read the other topic until it was too late)

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 11-22-2000).]
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#4 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 07:36 PM

Personally, I think the humans, being vengeful, will finish the gaitori well before they rise back to prominance. The Obish will probably help them.

As for the asteroids, they'd probably never hit planets quickly enough to make the Boondan Zealots come back.

And I'm sure the Salrilians will find new servants.

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

macgamer.net

#5 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 07:36 PM

I say the Cantharans, seething from their defeat at human hands and the loss of their gateship, build another gateship or borrow the Salrillian or Audemedon gateship, and send their entire fleet in to slag earth to the core. Then the races fight, and the Salrillians and Audemedon end up on top, due to excellent technology and excellent tactics. A few scattered human fleets will always remain, and they'll build mobile shipyards, but the humans will be very minor after earth is slagged, and will be constantly hunted by the Cantharans, which will begin to lose power in their zeal to finish of the humans. Meanwhile, a few boodan asteroids will hit their intended targets, and the boodan zealots will help the humans in their struggle, although they'll never get anywhere. The Ishiman will get dragged into another Obain vs. Gaitor war, and the Gaitori, quickly developing more technology and becoming one of the dominant powers, will beat both the Obish and the Ishiman, and will bring them both down. The Bazidaneze empire will die out, and the Bazidaneze will become independant traders. The Elejeetians will be fighting for their lives against the Salrillians and Audemedon, and the Grolk will attempt to regain control of the Audemedon, making themselves allies with th Elejeetians, although they'll never attack the Audemedon. Some Audemedon will join both sides, but most will remain with the Salrillians.

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

#6 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 07:41 PM

Uhh, I don't think the Sals/Auds have gateships. Also, by the time the Cantharans have built another one (if they're that easy to build, why not have 2 or more?), the humans, being the SOBs they are, will have stolen enough Ishiman, Cantharan, Gaitori, Obish, and maybe even Salrilian and Audemedon tech to hold off any attack.

------------------

macgamer.net

#7 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 08:25 PM

And how exactly are they going to steal the tech?

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

#8 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 09:28 PM

Human espionage technology and methods won't be worth a damn thing unless they steal them from the Sals, which is just next to impossible. Likely, the humans will be relatively weak due to centuries disorginization and infighting.

The Order will likely rearm themselves and declare official war on the Ishimans, who will fight well but still lose.

The Gaitori will likely break away from the order and expand again, leaning more towards trading and commerce. they will either enter into a close aliance with the Bazidanese, or get into a war with them.

Obain will remain stubborn and end up isolating themselves further. And I agree with Slug that they would start another war with the Gaitori and lose.

The Elejeetians may get into a war with the Cantharans, but I highyl doubt it due to their reluctance towards military action. If anything, they might assist the Ishimans.

The Audemedons will remain silent and menacing.

The Sals could do a couple of things. Either continue to back the Cantharans, or adopt a new protegé in secret. If it is the former, they would also sink their dendrites into other powers and continue to confuse us with the manipulations. If it is the latter, I could see them choosing either the Gaitori or Ishimans. If the Gaitori, the Obish will be completely vanquished and the Sals would have considerable influence on the galactic market. If the Ishimans, than the Cantharan Order will be crushed, and become to the Sals what the Gaitori are to the Order now: Completely dependant.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#9 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 10:49 PM

I could not agree with you more, Sargatanus, but I feel I must add:

The humans, gloating from their initial victory against the Order, will (as Nathan Lamont says "With all due arrogance") attack and start a war with the Cantharans before they're actually ready. The UNS fleet will delve deep into Cantharan Space, letting the initial victories go to their heads. However the Cantharans will close the gap and crush the fleet. The UNS will find itself on the losing side of a particularily nasty war. They must ready their defenses before the Cantharans rebuild the gateship, thus regaining the ability to invade.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#10 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 10:50 PM

And the Salrilians will be watching; laughing.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#11 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:15 AM

I think you're not giving the humans enough credit. We're evil and love nothing more than upseting the balence of power, and not following the normal rules.

macgamer.net

#12 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:19 AM

As for the tech theft, it's more along the lines of "let us keep the enhanced cruiser a few more days" and dissasemble it, learning how to build onas pulse guns, LRPK beams, etc. Then it's "lets trade" and use our evil to get the better of other races in tech swaps until we can mix & match to create superships. Then, well, circle the catharan carriers in CH 20 and you can take them all out with ease.

------------------

macgamer.net

#13 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:27 AM

Wow, it appears it's once again "Darkk vs the world".
I was hoping to find an issue someone would agree with me on.
Humans are just too evil and cunning to lose.

------------------

macgamer.net

#14 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
Wow, it appears it's once again "Darkk vs the world".
I was hoping to find an issue someone would agree with me on.
Humans are just too evil and cunning to lose.

There is nothing "evil" in looking out after yourself. Self-interest is inherent in every race.

------------------
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"
"[T]o those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends. They encourage people of good will to remain silent in the face of evil."

- Attorney General John Ashcroft, 12/7/2001, Senate Judiciary Committee

#15 User is offline   DeathVal 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 09:20 AM

This might help, thinkk Bablyon 5(did I spell that right?)

------------------
*insert famous line from either StarWars, Myth 2, Marathon Trilogy, Ares, StarCraft, Ultima Online, or from Ender's Quartet here*

#16 User is offline   Pyro 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 11:13 AM

Posted by slug:
Without the Order closely watching, several Planets will be infected with the Boodan-Virus-Saturated Asteroids and a new evil will rise when the Boodan Zealots reform.

ask yourself if they know what your talking about...

personally i think the humans will become more powerful as technology is lended to them by the elejeetians and other sources. They will then get pissed off and go smash into the catharan and gatori almost completely wiping them out.

------------------
"Who's next?"
-- Champion Maxwell Mokrev to an underling after leaping a fortress wall, killing 19 enemy SpaceMen, jumping into a tank, and crashing through all of the walls of the fortress, leaving nothing standing.
nickel count: 5

#17 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 11:21 AM

Wow. 2 people who sort of agree with me (I think).
The humans would dissasemble the modified HVC (and maybe some of the other ships the Ishimans loaned them), reverse engineer every last bit of it, replace their lasers with LRPKs (even on the turrets), their magnetos with onas or ishiman core pulses, and add some missles to every ship that can hold them. Then they'd disable other ships and mix and match until they were more powerful than even the Auds and Eleejeetians.

Those of you who can get Hera to work, play around with giving the humans that kind of tech. If 10 Cantharan carriers can survive 3 modified gunships, I'd be surprised.

OK, humans may not be evil, but we are adaptive, clever, and cut-throat. We're like the Borg. Resistance is futile Posted Image.

------------------

macgamer.net

#18 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:36 PM

Pyro: He knows what he's talking about. He's been working with Nathan Lamont.

Darkk: To reverse-engineer a ship, it must be similar enough to your own technology for you to understand it. Each race has it's own power system, it's own special minerals and metals to run the power system and weapons, etc.... The humans would have no idea of how the heck to completely reproduce the other technology. And, if it was that easy to steal each other's tech, why wouldn't all the other races be flying superships?

------------------
- Al Capone

#19 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:44 PM

Wow. 2 people who sort of agree with me (I think).
The humans would dissasemble the modified HVC (and maybe some of the other ships the Ishimans loaned them), reverse engineer every last bit of it...

What if they can't make sense of the technology? The Elejeetians are way more advanced than those piddling UNS beaurocrats.

replace their lasers with LRPKs (even on the turrets), their magnetos with onas or ishiman core pulses, and add some missles to every ship that can hold them.

The Humans at this point don't have the resources to pursue any of that. They've just been liberated from the Cantharans and already your expecting them to build super ships???

Then they'd disable other ships and mix and match until they were more powerful than even the Auds and Eleejeetians.

Trust me, you don't want to mess with the stronger guys. Humanity needs all the allies it can get at this point.

Those of you who can get Hera to work, play around with giving the humans that kind of tech. If 10 Cantharan carriers can survive 3 modified gunships, I'd be surprised.

Posted Image

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#20 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 01:09 PM

Personally, I think the UNS would grab all the resources it needs to make superships rathar quickly. They'd be well motivated by desire for revenge, territory, etc.
Those have proven VERY STRONG motivations in history. Also, remeber, our technology expands exponentially. Exposure to Ishiman tech would give them ideas. Remeber WW2, where the US started out with the worst everything, and a a little after the war had the best everything (until the Soviets caught up). The humans are too adaptive and psycho to just stay unimportant.

By the time 100 years is up, they'd have conquered at least the Gaitori, using Obish help. The Cantharans would be next.

As for the reason nobody else steals tech, they do, man! Ishimans and Cantharans both use PK beams. The reason they don't fly superships is they're not creative and determined enough. The Ish are too cowardly, the cantharans are too arrogant, the gatori are too opressed, and the Sals, Auds, and Eleejeetians already do.

------------------

macgamer.net

#21 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 01:49 PM

Darkk, forgive me for sounding harsh, but you are talking out of your ass here. As far as evilness, resourcefulness, etc. of a species goes, we only have ourselves to compare to. Thus we don't really know what would happen. But there are a few things we would have to consider:

1) The humans aren't going to get orginized any time soon. Nathan Lamont says so, and it has been proven throughout history countless times that we simply cannot agree on how to govern ourselves.

2) Technology gaps. The humans were behind to begin with, and the invasion from the Cantharans set them back about 20 years a kept them there as long as they were under occupation.

3) Paranoia among the species will drastically limit what types of technologies are traded. I can't see the Ishimans providing anymore as a precaution against military action that could occur later on. The Elejeetians wouldn't go for it either, since their military reluctance would make them think they've helped enough.

4) Human space is very small, and Cantharan space is very large. The humans will learn the hard way that numbers do make a difference even when your enemy has lost their primary method of transportation.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#22 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 02:24 PM

Guess you're right.

------------------

macgamer.net

#23 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 03:50 PM

As for the reason nobody else steals tech, they do, man! Ishimans and Cantharans both use PK beams.

You can see they all developed PhotoKinetics independantly, or else their PK beams would all the same. You can see the many design variations in PK beams:
The Gaitori are experimenting with it. They have developed the Kinetic Laser which is equipped on their fighters.
Cantharan PK Beams focus more on the Infrared End of the Spectrum. They are easier to mass produce and design but they have pathetic range (high dissipation rate).
Ishiman PK beams use a higher frequency, thus they have longer range but take longer to produce.
Salrilian (LR)PK beams are very advanced. They have great range and improved damage as well as a terrific recharge rate.

...the Sals, Auds, and Eleejeetians already do [fly super ships].

Have you ever seen one? Can you tell me what it looked like because I haven't.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#24 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Slug:
Have you ever seen one? Can you tell me what it looked like because I haven't.

Uhh, the sal ones are vaugely large, round, and black. The audemedon ones are blocky and orange, and the Eleejeetian ones are yellow, small, and brick-shaped.

The Sal carrier, aud gunship, and Eleejeetian cruiser fit what I said for the humans. They have the best of their weapons, and are the best of their class (the Eleejeetian crusier is tied with the aud one).

I have, however, conceded.

------------------

macgamer.net

#25 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 04:08 PM

Oh, and the Ish/Cantharan PK beams ARE identical. Read the specs. The gatori use only lasers, like the humans. They're just kinetic lasers, they're not really PK beams. They do less damage.

------------------

macgamer.net

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users