Ambrosia Software Web Board: What would the Ares universe be like 100 years after the game? - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would the Ares universe be like 100 years after the game?

#51 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 November 2000 - 08:05 PM

Guess you're right.

------------------
*Error: target is violating the laws of physics*
*Error: target is locally exceeding c*
*Error: unable to determine if target exists or not*
*Error: target cannot be hit*
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#52 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:11 AM

Posted by Darkk:
Oh, about the tech theft thing: the Obish and Cantharans use SALRILIAN stealth fields.

The Cantharans developed their own stealth/cloaking devices, the Obish had theirs donated during the most recent Gaitori Wars. At the time, Gaitor was at it's height (it had not been subjugated by the Cantharans yet). The Salrilians saw Gaitor would become a major threat, they also noted Gaitor was fighting a winning war with Obain. So instead of direct intervention, the Salrilians gave the Obish tech and let things sort it out for themselves.

It worked. Gaitor lost the war, was greatly weakened by the time the Cantharan Crusades began, and was taken over by Cantharis.

Posted by Darkk:
The humans have been around (and probably helped build on the planets) Ishiman ships.

They are military bases. They are most likely automated.

Posted by Darkk:
They've also flown Eleejeetian ships...

No, it says the Elejeetians donated their ships. Humans were not flying them. I quote:

Mission 18 text:
The Elejeetians have graciously donated three more of their cruisers to your cause. These cruisers are at your disposal.The humans have, against our wishes, also volunteered two cruisers. Unfortunately, these cruisers are woefully underpowered and will be of little use to you.

The humans are flying the human cruisers. It would be like learning how to throw paper airplanes and then being asked to pilot a Boeing 747. Just because it's on your side and controlled by AI doesn't mean it's piloted by humans!

Posted by Darkk:
The essential atomic elements are all known to humans

They had been enslaved for nearly 300 years! You expect there to still be scholars in those Cantharan Ore Mines?

Posted by Darkk:
any exotic construction could be figured out with a good dissasembly.

"With good dissasembly" is the key phrase there. The Ishiman and Elejeetians loaned those ships to the humans, not gave then to them to be dissected. During World War II, it took yearss to capture and figure out the Enigma Machine that the Germans used for coded transmissions, and by then the code had become obsolete.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Alduran Outlaw Rick Blazer
StarLance

[This message has been edited by Slug (edited 11-26-2000).]
[image removed]

#53 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:41 AM

I've stopped arguing.
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

macgamer.net

#54 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:14 PM

I hate doing this, debating with someone that was on the same side as myself.

But that won't stop me from doing it anyways. Posted Image

Originally posted by Slug:
The Cantharans developed their own stealth/cloaking devices, the Obish had theirs donated during the most recent Gaitori Wars. At the time, Gaitor was at it's height (it had not been subjugated by the Cantharans yet). The Salrilians saw Gaitor would become a major threat, they also noted Gaitor was fighting a winning war with Obain. So instead of direct intervention, the Salrilians gave the Obish tech and let things sort it out for themselves.

It worked. Gaitor lost the war, was greatly weakened by the time the Cantharan Crusades began, and was taken over by Cantharis.

[snip]

They are military bases. They are most likely automated.

Pardon me for asking, but how do you know all this? I certainly can't find them anywhere in the game. (Please note: If you want to say: "Nathan Lamont said this..." please read my last post in the thread titled "A New Argument (and in my case, Hope)" started by Fleet Admiral Darkk.)

No, it says the Elejeetians donated their ships. Humans were not flying them. I quote:

[snip]

The humans are flying the human cruisers. It would be like learning how to throw paper airplanes and then being asked to pilot a Boeing 747. Just because it's on your side and controlled by AI doesn't mean it's piloted by humans!

If you read the text you cited closely, you'll see that there was wide latitude in its meaning. It can be translated to mean virtually anything. It certainly doesn't rule out the possibility that humans may pilot those Elejeetian cruisers.

You're right to point out that humans may not be technologically sophistocated enough to pilot Elejeetian ships. On the other hand, there is also the possibility that the interface used by Elejeetian ships is so advanced that it is very easy to learn and adapt to.

They had been enslaved for nearly 300 years! You expect there to still be scholars in those Cantharan Ore Mines?

I know that the trip from home for Apollo took 150 years. But how do you know that the trip back is equally as long?

"With good dissasembly" is the key phrase there. The Ishiman and Elejeetians loaned those ships to the humans, not gave then to them to be dissected. During World War II, it took yearss to capture and figure out the Enigma Machine that the Germans used for coded transmissions, and by then the code had become obsolete.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the British cracked the code early during the war, thus giving the Allies a great advantage.

------------------
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"
"[T]o those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends. They encourage people of good will to remain silent in the face of evil."

- Attorney General John Ashcroft, 12/7/2001, Senate Judiciary Committee

#55 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 03:06 PM

Originally posted by htjyang:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the British cracked the code early during the war, thus giving the Allies a great advantage.

I'm pretty sure the reason we still have elections and personal freedom is that the allies cracked the code. It gave them a huge advantage in the Atlantic. It was in the middle of the war, if I'm not mistaken (WW2 is my major historical interest).

Also, it says the Eleejeetians donated 3 cruisers. It makes no mention of wheather or not they loaned them crews. Their pacifist nature makes it likely that, like the Ishiamns, they just taught the humans how to fly it.

Oh, and it is only 150 years. It was ANTICIPATED to take 300. In the ending it says 150 years ago.
Direct quote: "The Earth you left over one hundred and fifty years ago is greatly changed."

As for scholars, the Apollo crew is "the best and brightest" of humanity. They also were proably trained to fix their ship en route.

Furthermore, most non-intelectual and non-skilled tasks could be more efficently done by the Cantharan's robots/other machinery. What would they use slaves for? Obviously, things that are impractical to do mechanicly. Put those facts together, and it's likely humans are in the same situation as the Yvetha in the Black Fleet Trilogy (Star Wars). Read that for a nice anaylsis of this whole situation.

[This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 11-26-2000).]

macgamer.net

#56 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 03:36 PM

Origionally posted by htjyang:
Pardon me for asking, but how do you know all this? I certainly can't find them anywhere in the game. (Please note: If you want to say: "Nathan Lamont said this..." please read my last post in the thread titled "A New Argument (and in my case, Hope)" started by Fleet Admiral Darkk.)

I am one of the people who is working on the Ares for EVO plugin project. We have had a lot of communication with Nathan Lamont via email, including theories, the ship meshes, and (of course) questions about the Ares universe.

I am an honest man. I only say something if I truly believe it to be true.

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
 I'm pretty sure the reason we still have elections and personal freedom is that the allies cracked the code. It gave them a huge advantage in the Atlantic. It was in the middle of the war, if I'm not mistaken (WW2 is my major historical interest).

Also, it says the Eleejeetians donated 3 cruisers. It makes no mention of wheather or not they loaned them crews. Their pacifist nature makes it likely that, like the Ishiamns, they just taught the humans how to fly it.

Oh, and it is only 150 years. It was ANTICIPATED to take 300. In the ending it says 150 years ago.
Direct quote: "The Earth you left over one hundred and fifty years ago is greatly changed."

As for scholars, the Apollo crew is "the best and brightest" of humanity. They also were proably trained to fix their ship en route.

You have me there. My mind must have been off-track when I said all that.

Origionally posted by Darkk
Furthermore, most non-intelectual and non-skilled tasks could be more efficently done by the Cantharan's robots/other machinery. What would they use slaves for? Obviously, things that are impractical to do mechanicly. Put those facts together, and it's likely humans are in the same situation as the Yvetha in the Black Fleet Trilogy (Star Wars). Read that for a nice anaylsis of this whole situation.

What if I were to tell you the Cantharans didn't have the crusades for slaves or even religeous reasons? "Unenlightened" was the excuse the Cantharans used to take over planets to protect themselves from a certain... threat...

Unless Nathan Lamont wishes me to, I won't spill the beans any further.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#57 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 08:00 PM

What if I were to tell you the Cantharans didn't have the crusades for slaves or even religeous reasons? "Unenlightened" was the excuse the Cantharans used to take over planets to protect themselves from a certain... threat...

Unless Nathan Lamont wishes me to, I won't spill the beans any further.

Are we ever going to find out about this? A sequal? In your plug?

In any case, that's irrelevent. The Ares crew would still have all the knowledge needed, because the odds of them not being trained to repair their ship are astronicly low. Besides, the Ishimans would probably be happy to donate any tiny bits of info we lost.

------------------

macgamer.net

#58 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 08:06 PM

I am one of the people who is working on the Ares for EVO plugin project. We have had a lot of communication with Nathan Lamont via email, including theories, the ship meshes, and (of course) questions about the Ares universe.

I am an honest man. I only say something if I truly believe it to be true.

Don't get me wrong. I have no reason to question your honesty. What I question is people's memories. People's memories are selective. We tend to think what we believe in is the canon truth. We tend to mix our beliefs with the facts. Given a little time, we may actually believe that.

------------------
"[T]o those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends. They encourage people of good will to remain silent in the face of evil."

#59 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2000 - 11:41 PM

Er, as to the earlier discussion. I personally (and objectively) believe that Obain wil again fight Gaitor, but will not lose. My personal opinion would be that immediately upon capture of Earth, Obain will launnch an attack upon Gaitor. With almost 2x the advantage in theory, and, as I have found in Hera, much greater in practice, Obain would have superior weaponry and as such conquer Gaitor.

------------------
-Pallas Athene, {M}ilitia Aeriane and Dysian Beta representative to the Obish Consensus
ThinkFish, and good things will come.
[This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).]

#60 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2000 - 02:11 AM

Why would Obain do that and break the truce? It would be dishonorable, suicidal, and would make it a lot of enemies.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#61 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2000 - 04:56 AM

Why would Obain do that and break the truce?

It certainly won't be the first time someone breaks truce.

It would be dishonorable,

Honor means little when compared to tangible spoils of victory.

suicidal,

That remains to be seen. The bottomline is, we don't know who is stronger overall.

and would make it a lot of enemies.

Who might they be? They were already enemies of Cantharis (level 10) and by extension Salril and the Audemedons. I doubt the Ishimans, the Elejeetians, or the humans would shed a tear over it. I also don't see any reason why the Bazidanese might be displeased about it.

------------------

#62 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2000 - 02:54 PM

Never mind. I'm not going to bother explaining.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#63 User is offline   Idiot_box 

• conspirator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2000 - 07:56 PM

I don't plan to actually takes sides in the debate(I may not look into this thread again, in fact...), but I do think that I'll add a few things to it.

First, WWII. The Axis had no hope, even if the Allies had never figured out the code the enigma machine used. All that did was bring a swifter end to the war. As John Barnes says in his afterword to Patton's Spaceship (a very good sci-fi novel):

One of Napoleon's better generals observed that God is generally on the side of the big battalions; nowhere is this truer than in World War II. The fact was that Germany, Italy, and Japan faced not just one nation with greater resources than their own, but three (if one counts the British Empire as a unit). By D Day, American factories and training camps were turning out enough men and matériel to completely replace every ship, gun, man, tank, plane, and round of ammunition expended in that invasion within six months. In late 1944, the US government canceled more battleships and cruisers than the Axis ever had.... And the Americans were merely the largest force in the mixture....

In short, all the enigma machine ever did was minimize the losses of Allied convoys from the U-boat. According to PBS's Nova special on the U-boat found off the coast of Massachusets (that shouldn't have been there, according to records), German U-boat production had gone down signifigantly, and the number of U-boats had not been as high as the German Admiral in charge had wanted them to be at the start of the war (Hitler ordered the attack on Poland without consulting his Generals and Admirals...).

Second, although speculation is often a good thing, remember that one cannont accurately speculate as to the future motives and actions of hypothetical alien species. The simple reason behind this is twofold: first that we one is not a member of the hypothetical alien species (despite Slug's claims to the contrary Posted Image ), and second that, as evidenced by humans, assuming that a species will act logically is not always correct. This in mind, know that all the speculations posted to this point (and all future speculations) could, in fact, be correct. Or they could be wrong. We really won't know unless, in this case, an Ares sequel is released or Mr. Lamont comes into the debate, and as creator of the hypothetical alien species, tells us what they would do and why.

*leaves, mumbling something about neoclassical economists....*

------------------
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
--Douglas Adams
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." --Theodore Roosevelt
+++++++++++++++++
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

#64 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2000 - 11:17 PM

A sequel would rule. I want to find out more about this sort of thing. Even Marathon had 3 games, even if they never told us more than we needed to know to do our jobs. From this a huge story emerges.

I *DEMAND* an official sequel. I'd pay $25 for it, if it had the same # or more levels. I want to do more. I want to fight the secret evil the Cantharans were working against. I want to fly Eleejeetian and Obish Carriers against it. Maybe sack Gaitor while I'm at it.

This would be really kewl, and you (If you're reading this NL) could get money for it (I hope you're listening Mr. Lamont).

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

Who's with me?

[somewhat maniacal but heartfelt]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 12-02-2000).]

macgamer.net

#65 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 02:36 AM

You do realize that Hera is out there and many people have already made scenarios?

Why don't you translate your own ideas into a few scenarios and release them so everybody will know about your ideas?

Is it really important to have something that is "canon?" If you don't believe that it is "canon," then to you, it isn't.

The best way to get "canonical" schenarios is to create them yourself.

------------------

#66 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 04:00 PM

Why would Obain do that and break the truce? It would be dishonorable, suicidal, and would make it a lot of enemies.

What is The Iron Fist based around?

------------------
-Pallas Athene, {M}ilitia Aeriane and Dysian Beta representative to the Obish Consensus
[This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).]

#67 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 04:55 PM

Why don't you translate your own ideas into a few scenarios and release them so everybody will know about your ideas?

Offhand, I'd say it's because I'm not very good with it. In time, I might do just that.

Is it really important to have something that is "canon?"  If you don't believe that it is "canon," then to you, it isn't.

That made no sense. Anything Nathan says is canon, unless it directly contradicts the game (his clarification once that is pointed out does become canon). Anything WE say is speculation and/or guessing.

Besides, I thought Ares was way better than most scenario packs. The only one that comes close is Iron Fist. Sequels also sometimes have new and improved engines, or multiplayer (4 player multi anyone?).

------------------

macgamer.net

#68 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:

What is The Iron Fist based around?

Gaitor Breaking the truce.

------------------
StarLance

[This message has been edited by Slug (edited 12-03-2000).]
[image removed]

#69 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 07:19 PM

Then the Gaitor would attack the Obish and lose (or win).
It's about the same, no matter who starts it.
They both want to kill each other real bad.
The Obish weapons do seem to do a very good job of killing Gaitori.

macgamer.net

#70 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 08:29 PM

And Gaitori weapons are real good at killing obish ships. Plus there are more of them.

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#71 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2000 - 11:52 PM

Suggest you review chapters 1 and 2. The Gaitori always suck in the game, the only hard data we have. "Nathan Lamont says" and "Nathan Lamont told me" is NOT the same as something we see in the game or a post from AG himself.

The Cantharans put the Gaitori under their boot heel only slightly more gently than they did Earth. Only slightly, for they still left them enough military to patrol the boarder. They aren't that advanced at all, Slug. Their shields SUCK, their weapons have squat range, their carriers are total wastes of resources, their HVDs are OK, and the gunships are OK except against the Obish in any kind of mass situation. The gunships do much better (in my experience) against the enemy in 1 on 1 than in big fleet actions.

Add to that that they have no gateship (they have nothing good except 3 guns, don't give me that bs) while the Obish either use the Ishiman one or have one of their own, and the kewl Obish battleship from Make way being used more, and it becomes a rather close contest even WITH the Gaitori having numerical superiority (I doubt they even have AS MANY ships, being defeated by the Obish, then crushed by the Cantharans while the Obish prepaired to fight the Cantharans).

The help given to the Obish was mainly technological, and thus PERMINANT. Intelectual property cannot be withdrawn. The Obish have a tech lead and no serious numerical problems after they, the Cantharans, and the Human/Ishiman cooperative finished beating on the Gaitori.

I'm sure the humans would be willing to cooperate, and a tech exchange could result in some seriously dangerous ships being used by both sides. This refers back to my point about a human gunship firing protopulses instead of magnetopulses at the same rate...

------------------

macgamer.net

#72 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2000 - 01:27 AM

You win Posted Image

------------------
StarLance
[image removed]

#73 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2000 - 08:24 PM

Which means, by virtue of the fact that I'm as much an Obiard as you are Salrillian, that I win. Posted Image

------------------
-Pallas Athene of Dysian Beta, Obish Consensus Representative
-Nieru Dast, {M}ilitia Aeriane
-Danae Vernius

#74 User is offline   Admiral Slathkill II 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2000 - 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
Remeber WW2, where the US started out with the worst everything, and a a little after the war had the best everything (until the Soviets caught up).

In and after WWII the US did not have the best of everything. There was one incedent where US and British carriers were cruising off Japan and were caught in a typhoon. the British carrier only lost two lifeboats while the US one lost its entire deck.

[Now we return you to your regularly scheduled post]

I think the Ares universe will stop having hure fleets and use fast, heavily armed ships (about cruiser or gunship size) in one or two ship battles. Look at pre WWI. Armies lined up facing each other and attacked together. Who won was often decided by numerical superiority. Less than 100 years later look at Vietnam where there was no definitive frontline. Carriers may be kept but only as mobile bases / constuction facilities.

------------------
Grand Fleet Admiral Slathkill, Supreme Commander I.M.A. Fleet

#75 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2000 - 04:55 PM

I think the Ares universe will stop having hure fleets and use fast, heavily armed ships (about cruiser or gunship size) in one or two ship battles. Look at pre WWI. Armies lined up facing each other and attacked together. Who won was often decided by numerical superiority. Less than 100 years later look at Vietnam where there was no definitive frontline. Carriers may be kept but only as mobile bases / constuction facilities.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Um, no. Cruisers and gunships would be too small to move independantly for long periods of time. Further, space is more like the water than the land. Naval fleets have not gone away, but now engage each other across vast distances with weapons that kill in single hits. On land, cover and dense terain can allow Vietnams. Vietnam in space wouldn't happen. There's no real cover except the rare asteroid.

Air forces might be better metaphors: they now have small groups (squadrons) of craft that kill each other in single hits from long distances and where raw tech often determines who wins.

------------------

macgamer.net

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users