• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sail: Chapter 19 a Cythera novel

#1 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

That moment when the meaning of the book title suddenly becomes clear. ;)

[scrubbed]

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 14 December 2015 - 06:40 AM

#2 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Wowev! It's really getting scary and sad now, which probably means we're getting closer to Dark Mirror.

Tiernan and Kako fighting is so sad! :(

Do Kako and Parr have no moral qualms about sending Suriel to the Void? Maybe only Tiernan understands that the Void will give Suriel access to terrorize other worlds, & that's why he refuses to help?

Kako's decision to send Suriel after Maika feels a bit abrupt. I think Tiernan emphasized in a previous chapter how important it was to stay under Suriel's radar, but now Kako seems to either not understand or not care how dangerous it is to draw Suriel's attention to Maika. I don't know if Tiernan will ever forgive her ;_; (But he has, in OoR... hasn't he?)
I'll become even more undignified than this

#3 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

I forgot to say when I commented an hour ago, but I love the wise farmer ^_^ Such insight. Is he anybody significant? (Maybe Ral from the Hand? I don't know if the Hand will be a part of this series.)

#4 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 15 December 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Do Kako and Parr have no moral qualms about sending Suriel to the Void? Maybe only Tiernan understands that the Void will give Suriel access to terrorize other worlds, & that's why he refuses to help?

As far as Kako and Parr know, they'd be letting Suriel into an empty plane devoid of life - and he'd still have to figure out a way to break through into another world, if that's what he wanted. They're gambling the odds.

Kako's decision to send Suriel after Maika feels a bit abrupt. I think Tiernan emphasized in a previous chapter how important it was to stay under Suriel's radar, but now Kako seems to either not understand or not care how dangerous it is to draw Suriel's attention to Maika.

Hmm, I don't know if that's a flaw in my writing or just a character flaw for Kako. She never really listened to Tiernan anyway because she thinks he's excessively paranoid (he doesn't trust Iannah or Parr even though they've never given Kako a reason to distrust them.) She doesn't expect Suriel to kill off one of the few people that could help him, especially since all Tiernan's written research is gone. Mostly she's just getting desperate.

Plus you have to pretend you don't already know Maika dies. :P

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 15 December 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

I forgot to say when I commented an hour ago, but I love the wise farmer ^_^ Such insight. Is he anybody significant? (Maybe Ral from the Hand? I don't know if the Hand will be a part of this series.)

It's Niall and his draft horse from my Dark Mirror screenplay. ;)

I don't have any plans to include the Hand. I'll probably need to write in some high-ranking captains of Suriel's army eventually, but not in this book, and they won't bear much similarity to the Hand.

#5 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostiKaterei, on 15 December 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

As far as Kako and Parr know, they'd be letting Suriel into an empty plane devoid of life - and he'd still have to figure out a way to break through into another world, if that's what he wanted. They're gambling the odds.

Okay, that makes sense. Maybe the Void could divert Suriel's attention for a thousand years!

Plus you have to pretend you don't already know Maika dies. :P

Too true! It'd probably be good to have alpha-readers who aren't familiar with Dark Mirror :x

It's Niall and his draft horse from my Dark Mirror screenplay. ;)

Ah, I need to re-read that! I didn't remember Niall at all @_@

#6 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm trying to make Kako more relatable than K in DM, anyway. My creative writing professor pointed out last year that it would be pretty hard to write a sympathetic protagonist who has one of her friends murdered. It was one thing in DM where the alt-world characters were meant to be morally ambiguous and where this was all in the past, but I want readers to actually side with Kako. :> So I tweaked the plot so she only draws attention to Maika instead of suggesting her murder, and following your comments, I also added something to the current chapter that makes her a little more sympathetic/noble.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 16 December 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Ah, I need to re-read that! I didn't remember Niall at all @_@

It's not terribly important to know who he is now; during the next book is when people are supposed to go "wait, is that the old guy from before…" Right now, he's just a wise farmer. :)

#7 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

Tiernan seems to know a bit more about Suriel than he has let on. At least, he seems to think the consequences of releasing him more dangerous than the consequences of remaining trapped with him. That said, I think he somewhat overestimates his ability to remain unnoticed.

Marijka's comments suggest that she has never asked Tiernan why he didn't build the bridge. Was she afraid of getting more involved than she was or afraid of his answer?
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#8 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostSelax, on 25 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Marijka's comments suggest that she has never asked Tiernan why he didn't build the bridge. Was she afraid of getting more involved than she was or afraid of his answer?

There's a third possibility - that she already knows the answer. Not that I'm saying which is true. :ph34r:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users