• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sail: Chapter 10 a Cythera novel

#1 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

This chapter was a lot of fun to write, so I hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I did. :D

[scrubbed]

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 14 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

#2 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Very fun chapter, I enjoyed that a lot ^_^ That festival sounded awesome! (except for the riot, of course)

I also enjoyed the musical accompaniment, though I had trouble listening and reading at the same time. I kept toggling back to the video to watch the band dance :D I especially liked that crazy drummer who was all over the place. He was awesome! I imagine Airedain is exactly like him except with short hair and blue skin.

Marijka goes to Sverbian church - I wonder what they worship?

I'm a little confused about the various languages in this world. There's Sverbian and Argacian, and do the Ferish have their own language? And what language do the Viirelei speak?
I'll become even more undignified than this

#3 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 02 November 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

I especially liked that crazy drummer who was all over the place. He was awesome! I imagine Airedain is exactly like him except with short hair and blue skin.

Exactly like that. :D I started researching 18th century European music but it all seemed boring. I somehow got onto Scottish music instead and was like 'OH MY GOODNESS YES.' The Sverbians have fiddles instead of bagpipes, but I wanted the music to have the same feeling and energy.

Marijka goes to Sverbian church - I wonder what they worship?

Various pagan gods in the vein of Norse mythology. The Ferish worship a single god (the Nen Divinus cathedral is Ferish.)

I'm a little confused about the various languages in this world. There's Sverbian and Argacian, and do the Ferish have their own language? And what language do the Viirelei speak?

Yeah, the Ferish have their own language. The viirelei language doesn't have a single name - each jouyen has their own dialect named after the jouyen. The Rin and Iyo have strong cultural ties so they understand each other easily.

Argacian is a pidgin language combining all the languages of the area. The Sverbians settled there first and taught words to the viirelei and vice versa, which is why most place names are Sverbian or viirelei. After the Ferish arrived, they adapted the Ferish alphabet to write Argacian.

#4 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

Another excellent chapter :) . It seems that the Council will be fortunate to avoid a revolution if things don't change.

You do a very good job of creating a full culture. I commend you on your research and attention to detail.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the refrain "“Ikken naeja” reminds me of the "Ee ja nai ka" protests that took place in Japan in the late 1860s.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#5 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostSelax, on 06 November 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

You do a very good job of creating a full culture. I commend you on your research and attention to detail.

Thanks. :) I'm loosely following Tolkien's approach, though inventing whole languages is way too much work. Mostly I want it to feel familiar so I've been drawing on common traditions like celebrating the new year.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the refrain "“Ikken naeja” reminds me of the "Ee ja nai ka" protests that took place in Japan in the late 1860s.

I've never heard of that, but it's oddly fitting. I actually derived the phrase from the Norwegian word ikke 'not' and Finnish nolla 'zero' (I guess double negatives are still negative in Sverbian, like in Russian.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users