Ambrosia Software Web Board: Authorship of the Cypher Manuscript - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Authorship of the Cypher Manuscript

#1 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

Well, I'm going to attempt to foil 453's effort to derail the playthrough topic and discuss this issue separately.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 06 October 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

I like pointlessly derailing topics! I still think Magpie fits perfectly. He refers to the elements as though he's an outsider because he's not accepted as a seldane or an undine. He's the one who recommended Alaric summon Bellerophon to Cythera, so he was familiar with the possibility. Magpie may be twice as powerful as Alaric, since Alaric's half human; and besides I think it was only so hard for Alaric because he was already sick.

Magpie might not be accepted by either but that does not change his heritage. He is still one of the elementals, and the author speaks of the elementals as being separate entities. Also, he seems to treat them as a local phenomenon which makes me question whether or not he is actually native to Cythera at all, although it should be recalled at this point that the accuracy of the translation is dubious.

Actually, several texts and the conversations with Ignae suggest that humans are of the fifth element and actually have the potential to be stronger than those of the other four. This indication, along with Alaric's bond to the land, suggest that he is much stronger than Magpie. It was certainly harder to summon Bellerophon because of his illness, but he still speaks as if it took a lot of power. Summoning an entire fleet (complete with ships, supplies, etc.) still seems beyond the ability of someone like Magpie and possibly even of Alaric.

My personal suspicion is that the author was non-Cytheran.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#2 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:47 AM

This question has been settled. The Cypher Manuscript was written by Randy Pringle.

#3 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

Oh yes! How could I forget?
I'll become even more undignified than this

#4 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Speaking hypothetically, if Randy Pringle hadn't written the manuscript, what do you think of its probable origin?

Selax

#5 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

I think I always assumed that the Cipher Manuscript was written by a character not featured or even necessarily mentioned in the game. Although, if we were to attribute it to a character in the cast, Magpie is not a bad option. He very much considers himself an outsider and would have been around long before the humans' arrival. My main issue would be a question of power. I agree with Selax that Magpie does not seem any stronger than Alaric, and I doubt that he would have the strength to summon so many people casually, as the author of the manuscript does.

Of course, the Cipher Manuscript has its own other mysteries, like the peculiar reference to Theldrow and the beings called the Chimera. We probably can't know who wrote it until we know a bit more about the content. It's times like these that I wish gandreas were still around... and liked the game... and liked the fans... and didn't mind answering questions...
Wizard

#6 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on 19 June 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

It's times like these that I wish gandreas were still around... and liked the game... and liked the fans... and didn't mind answering questions...

Don't we all, man ;_;

It still strikes me as likely that the author of the Cipher Manuscript would be a character in the game, but then again, the chimera don't seem to appear in the game, so many the author doesn't either /:
I'll become even more undignified than this

#7 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 19 June 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

It still strikes me as likely that the author of the Cipher Manuscript would be a character in the game, but then again, the chimera don't seem to appear in the game, so many the author doesn't either /:

I think that having an outside character write it creates more potential story lines than a character in the game. It opens up the possibility to more interaction with other worlds and allows more growth for the universe. The fact that gandreas included the manuscript at all suggests to me that he intended to explore these possibilities further.

Selax

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users