Ambrosia Software Web Board: Cythera Youtube Playthrough - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Youtube Playthrough Note: I'm not much of a video editor.

#51 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

The next part of the playthrough is up--here and here. In this portion, I dealt with Opheltius's murder. I also gave the harpy egg to Pheres (I didn't recall that he interrupted class to speak with you if you found him there). I then visited Kosha and entered the grotto. I retrieved the final crolna shard and analyzed the process of making kesh.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#52 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostSelax, on 16 October 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

In Ayrit? Do you mean Maayti? Some of us don't play the game often enough to memorize all routes :P .

Oops, yeah, Maayti. It's not so much that you don't have the route memorized, as you kept going back & forth, back & forth, stared at one of your followers going through the hidden path, went back and forth some more...

What? Do you mean you can raise the price you sell them at?

Don't ask me why, but the more you haggle down his prices, the higher he'll offer you for your gems. He'll still only offer you half of what he sells them for though, at best.

Considering the spear would just have stuck to the hydra and I still would have had to wait on the mana, I'd rather wait to recharge the mana. I don't consider the spear to be any more useful than the helmet.

I'm not into the spear either, I'm too lazy to pick it up after every throw; but in this case, I think it would have saved you time.
I'll become even more undignified than this

#53 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 16 October 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Don't ask me why, but the more you haggle down his prices, the higher he'll offer you for your gems. He'll still only offer you half of what he sells them for though, at best.

I'm not into the spear either, I'm too lazy to pick it up after every throw; but in this case, I think it would have saved you time.

For someone who complains about how I cheat people in the game, you sure seem to know a lot about how to do it :P .

I don't think the spear usually accomplishes any real damage before sticking to it target, so I'm inclined to doubt any time saving would be significant.

The next part of the playthrough is uploaded. In this segment, I completed an errand in Kosha (453 will probably find it most heinous). I spoke to Sacas at Odemia to complete the kesh quest before going to meet with Sabinate. After that, I went to Pnyx to get the quest to speak with Charax, but I couldn't remember the correct dialogue prompt ("wine" I recall now). Fortunately, I had the Timeflux book, so he spoke to my anyway. While waiting on him, I returned to LKH, finished training in defense, and then headed for the First Stronghold.

Selax

#54 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

The next part of the playthrough is up. In this section, I made my way through the first stronghold. I ended up having to refight one lich due to my followers tendency to wander further than they should. The battle with the daemon was somewhat tedious, but I did manage to kill it without losing any of my assistants.

Selax

#55 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

The next part of the playthrough is available--here and here. In this segment, I entered the second stronghold. Initially, things went fairly well, but the battle with the daemons proved most troublesome. Unfortunately, for some reason, my followers were far less effective in this combat than usual and were fonder of dying than they should have been. At the end of the video, I succeeded in killing three daemons. The last apparently froze, making it easy to kill him...and then the game froze, forcing me to try again in the next segment, which, incidentally, is also the last video in the playthrough.

Selax

#56 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Nooooo, it's almost over! ;_; Despair!

#57 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Well, the last part of the playthrough has been uploaded--here and here. In this segment, reverting the game produced a bug and placed me back in the forest, since I no longer had the ring on. I decided to make a quick trip to LKH for healing and returned to fight the last daemon…who promptly destroyed Timon from range and forced me to reload the game. However, since I was wearing the ring this time, the save functioned properly, and I (after losing Timon again) finally killed the daemon. I made a quick trip to LKH to recover and returned to deal with Tavara. After that, I spoke to Charax and purified the Crolna. I went to LKH and cured Alaric, ending the game.

Selax

#58 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostSelax, on 20 October 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

…who promptly destroyed Timon from range and forced me to reload the game.

I might note that killing Timon doesn't force you to revert to saved :P You could've used your Amulet or the Resurrection spell.

Anyway, watching (and complaining about) these videos was so much fun! Thank you Sely ^_^ It's so sad that the series is over!

#59 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 20 October 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I might note that killing Timon doesn't force you to revert to saved :P You could've used your Amulet or the Resurrection spell.

Anyway, watching (and complaining about) these videos was so much fun! Thank you Sely ^_^ It's so sad that the series is over!

I don't like using the Amulet. I guess I could try the Resurrection spell, although I generally don't need it.

I think the only reason you watched the videos was to complain :P , but you're welcome anyway.

Now, for my responses to 453's youtube comments:

Thanks for the video! 
I still wonder why sometimes the Comana brothers are standing in the kesh lab, and sometimes there's just puddles of blood :\
Cheers, ~453

Some kind of bug, I assume.

Yeah, I don't think haggling prices with Atreus is anywhere near as bad as stealing his special ring, stealing his rubies, causing his flowers, coffer, and stool to disappear, and selling him back HIS rubies :P
Why do you close the door when talking to Sacas about the kesh? Do you not want your followers to hear you?
Why did you leave Charax's house after giving him the timeflux book? You could've easily given him the kelp, mushroom, and purified the Crolna, instead of having to come back later. I guess the video series flows better if you beat the game immediately after purifying the Crolna?
And dude! What was with that sleeping marathon? I lost track of how long you slept @_@ Was there some purpose to that?
Thanks for the video! I really enjoy these :D ~453

It's not my fault he's a heavy sleeper :P .

Is there something wrong with closing the door?

I assumed Charax needed a couple of days; hence, I gave him a couple of days.

Overall, that went well ^_^ No deaths, no reverts, you got the booty, etc. But who in their right mind would go to sleep in a mansion full of zombies, liches, golems, and demons? o_O TWICE? 
It seems like your followers weren't very helpful in this video. I'm inclined to think it would have gone better if you just used a pre-set combat AI, but I might be wrong. The demon battle was tedious because you were fighting it with your sword instead of magic (too bad you wasted that Death Strike scroll), and you've barely trained in attack, so you missed it almost every time :P At least it didn't really hurt you though.
thanks for the video! ~453

Do you go through the strongholds without sleeping? It makes it a lot more survivable.

You might be correct about the pre-set AI. I've used such things before, but I don't usually find them to be necessary. In this particular game, my followers were nearly useless.

Well, not much accomplished in this video, but this is a good place for training up, so I guess I can't really complain. Thanks for uploading! ~453

Thanks…I think :P .

Dude, I wish I had counted how many times you reverted to saved, this video might rival the early one of you fighting ruffians :P Your followers didn't seem very helpful, and were content to stand around and watch Meleager get totally pulverized by a demon. Maybe most of the problem was that you didn't have time to tell everyone what to attack in the battle (pre-set combat AI might have helped), but the fact that Hector and Aethon had barely sharpened swords probably didn't help any either. I think you could have better prepared for this battle by sharpening their swords more (you do have plenty of stolen money :P), or maybe lending Hector your sword would've worked. Your sword should've worked well, but you're barely trained in physical combat. You got lucky in the end that so many reverts seemed to freeze the last demon :P I also think it would have been sensible to directed nexus and heal after killing one or two demons, though that would've meant killing more Scylla and Undead. Also, how many times did you try to kill a demon with a BOMB? o_O a DEMON with a BOMB... okay... You do realize demons can only be harmed by magic, right? 

I don't usually find sharpening the swords any further to be necessary. They usually work with one sharpening. As I said, my followers were far less useful than usual. My own character was also a worse aim than usual. I suspect I usually get one or two more levels before reaching this point, but I'm not certain.

Unlike you, some of us have not memorized every detail about the game, so, no, I didn't recall that about daemons in this case.

Dude, this battle is brutal. Your refusal to use single-use items is pretty annoying :P How easily could you have taken out that last demon if you can chugged a couple of potions and DeathStuck it? (Or better yet, saved your death strike scroll :P) Or how about lending Hector your nice sword and seeing how he does against it? Oh well, you finally got it in the end - but I'm not sure why you teleported out to heal after getting that demon? Maybe you still had the golems to take down, I don't remember (you killed them with fireballs multiple times but kept reverting; I've lost track). Well, I guess I'll go watch the last video now ;_; so sad!

I don't tend to use death strike as an offensive spell (although I suppose I might try it in the future), and I'm not getting drawn into another debate about the scrolls :P .

I teleported out because Aethon was almost dead and several others were wounded. It seemed prudent.

I cried slightly when your cured Alaric. What a great game! It's so sad that the playthrough is over, but thank you very much for making it and uploading it! It has brought me great enjoyment ^_^ I don't guess I'll complain about your gameplay this time, I'll just say that you rock!
Cheers, ~453

Thank you :) : I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed it…although it's hard to tell around the numerous complaints :P . I'm pleased that someone watched it anyway. Hopefully, someone else will do so at some point.

I might upload more videos in the future, such as hacking exploits or town massacres (just to horrify you).

Selax

#60 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSelax, on 22 October 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

I think the only reason you watched the videos was to complain :P/>

Surely I really enjoyed complaining :D I'd say half the fun was watching them and half the fun was complaining about them ^_^ I would've watched them even if for some reason I couldn't complain about them. In the end, it doesn't really matter that you didn't play the game the same way I would've - you beat the game and completed the side-quests. And I got to re-live the best computer game ever and learn several new things about it!

Here's my completed (unless I forgot something) list of Things I Learned About Cythera From Watching Sely's Playthrough:
  • You can Death Strike magically locked doors to destroy them.
  • You can apparently sleep in an NPC's bed all night by closing their door before going to sleep.
  • Atymnius has breakfast with House Attis.
  • You can get to the iron mine through the trees and probably bypass the ruffians.
  • You can give Eudoxus's kidnapping note to Halos by telling him "note."
  • In the second Tyrant's tomb, you can steal the coffer (which will drop the portcullis), drop it, and steal it again to open the portcullis.
  • It is possible (though unlikely) to cure poisoning with an unguent even if the person on whom it is used is not at full HP.
  • There is a secret passage to a small, empty room under Abydos in the passageway to the demon-guarded Book of Wisdom.
  • Larisa will leave while the player is still in the Khalkis swamp, presumably as soon as she's out of Omen's-map-range.
  • Characters/monsters will often seem to be halfway between two tiles when the preferences are set to "better quality" (or half/half) instead of "better performance."

It's not my fault he's a heavy sleeper :P/> .

So that's justification for burglarizing and vandalizing his home?

Is there something wrong with closing the door?

No, just wondering if there was some reason I was unaware of.

I assumed Charax needed a couple of days; hence, I gave him a couple of days.

Oh. I'm pretty sure I've given him the book, kelp, & mushroom all in the same visit before.

Do you go through the strongholds without sleeping? It makes it a lot more survivable.

I don't typically sleep at all, though I'm a lot quicker than you are to Directed Nexus and get Alaric to heal me, if things aren't going my way.

You might be correct about the pre-set AI. I've used such things before, but I don't usually find them to be necessary. In this particular game, my followers were nearly useless.

I thought followers were supposed to be useless, which is why I dedicate more of my training to my own Attack.

I don't usually find sharpening the swords any further to be necessary. They usually work with one sharpening.

That's good to know, I don't know if I ever bothered sharpening a sword just once.

I teleported out because Aethon was almost dead and several others were wounded. It seemed prudent.

I might be wrong, but at that point, it didn't seem like you'd have any trouble finishing off the stronghold. All you had left were the two golems (not much of a challenge), and Tavara, who doesn't fight back.

Thank you :)/> : I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed it…although it's hard to tell around the numerous complaints :P/> . I'm pleased that someone watched it anyway. Hopefully, someone else will do so at some point.

Of course I enjoyed, I'd've gotten bored of complaining about it if I didn't enjoy it! :D Also, your videos seem to have several "views" and at least one "like" besides mine, so I must not be the only one who's watched them? I don't know how much trouble this would be, but I think it would be cool if you could put all the Cythera Playthrough videos in a "playlist" so that if someone wants to watch the series, YouTube will automatically take them to the next video at the end of each video. Maybe that's not worth the trouble.

I might upload more videos in the future, such as hacking exploits or town massacres (just to horrify you).

That would be so awesome!! I'm totally down for any Cythera videos! :D

#61 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 22 October 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I don't know how much trouble this would be, but I think it would be cool if you could put all the Cythera Playthrough videos in a "playlist" so that if someone wants to watch the series, YouTube will automatically take them to the next video at the end of each video.

I second this suggestion. Playlists are handy.

#62 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Here's my completed (unless I forgot something) list of Things I Learned About Cythera From Watching Sely's Playthrough:
  • You can Death Strike magically locked doors to destroy them.
  • You can apparently sleep in an NPC's bed all night by closing their door before going to sleep.
  • Atymnius has breakfast with House Attis.
  • You can get to the iron mine through the trees and probably bypass the ruffians.
  • You can give Eudoxus's kidnapping note to Halos by telling him "note."
  • In the second Tyrant's tomb, you can steal the coffer (which will drop the portcullis), drop it, and steal it again to open the portcullis.
  • It is possible (though unlikely) to cure poisoning with an unguent even if the person on whom it is used is not at full HP.
  • There is a secret passage to a small, empty room under Abydos in the passageway to the demon-guarded Book of Wisdom.
  • Larisa will leave while the player is still in the Khalkis swamp, presumably as soon as she's out of Omen's-map-range.
  • Characters/monsters will often seem to be halfway between two tiles when the preferences are set to "better quality" (or half/half) instead of "better performance."

Ironically, my major use for Death Strike has long been destroying doors, and I'm prone to forgetting its an offensive spell.

I'm not certain about NPCs and closing doors. I think I just found an abandoned house.

I think my settings are midway between better quality and better performance.

So that's justification for burglarizing and vandalizing his home?

Well, he's also clearly a phony: he couldn't tell I was selling him his own rubies. Thus, he can't be a real jeweler.

I don't typically sleep at all, though I'm a lot quicker than you are to Directed Nexus and get Alaric to heal me, if things aren't going my way.

So, you badger Alaric at all hours of the day and night?

And you call my actions "despicable" :P !

I might be wrong, but at that point, it didn't seem like you'd have any trouble finishing off the stronghold. All you had left were the two golems (not much of a challenge), and Tavara, who doesn't fight back.

There were also still undead on the perimeter, I think.

Of course I enjoyed, I'd've gotten bored of complaining about it if I didn't enjoy it! :D Also, your videos seem to have several "views" and at least one "like" besides mine, so I must not be the only one who's watched them? I don't know how much trouble this would be, but I think it would be cool if you could put all the Cythera Playthrough videos in a "playlist" so that if someone wants to watch the series, YouTube will automatically take them to the next video at the end of each video. Maybe that's not worth the trouble.

Some of those views are mine checking for comments (usually yours) and/or making certain that the video uploaded correctly.

Here is the playthrough organized as a playlist. It's longer than I thought.

That would be so awesome!! I'm totally down for any Cythera videos! :D

That sounds a lot like your approval regarding massacring the NPCs :) .

Selax

#63 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostSelax, on 23 October 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

I'm not certain about NPCs and closing doors. I think I just found an abandoned house.

I checked it out when I was experimenting with the skills in the game. The house belonged to someone, I forget whom - maybe Periphas?

I think my settings are midway between better quality and better performance.

Yeah, I keep mine on Better Performance, because I'm impatient. (I even have the Menu Patch on Miss Shinjy and have speeded up the Better Performance to the maximum.) When playing it this way, single-tile sprites never appear to be on more than one tile.

Well, he's also clearly a phony: he couldn't tell I was selling him his own rubies. Thus, he can't be a real jeweler.

Well, there is that...

So, you badger Alaric at all hours of the day and night?

I think you're making it sound worse than it is... I don't seek his help that often :\ (Unless I'm replicating something)

Here is the playthrough organized as a playlist. It's longer than I thought.

Yay, thanks! ^_^

That sounds a lot like your approval regarding massacring the NPCs :) .

I don't mean to approve of that exactly, but I'd watch any Cythera video you post.

#64 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 23 October 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

I checked it out when I was experimenting with the skills in the game. The house belonged to someone, I forget whom - maybe Periphas?

Did you check what happens at other houses? I think I've been kicked out of beds even with the doors closed.

I think you're making it sound worse than it is... I don't seek his help that often :\ (Unless I'm replicating something)

Actually, I think I'm making it sound better. After all, I didn't point out that you're forcing Alaric to use his waning powers, just so you can avoid sleeping :P .

Yay, thanks! ^_^

You're welcome :) .

I don't mean to approve of that exactly, but I'd watch any Cythera video you post.

That sounds just like complete approval to me!

So, which town do you want to see have its NPCs massacred :P ?

Selax

#65 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostSelax, on 26 October 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Did you check what happens at other houses? I think I've been kicked out of beds even with the doors closed.

No, I haven't experimented with it - but I did try sleeping in Periphas' bed with the door open, and wasn't kicked out. So perhaps this is unique to Periphas, or maybe it's unique to characters who wake up at 5am or get less than a certain amount of sleep?

Actually, I think I'm making it sound better. After all, I didn't point out that you're forcing Alaric to use his waning powers, just so you can avoid sleeping :P .

Hey, at least I get him cured way faster my way :P He had to wait around for weeks in your playthrough! (Though I did appreciate that you avoided wandering around when it was dark out, since it was a little harder to follow what was going on when it was dark.)

That sounds just like complete approval to me!

So, which town do you want to see have its NPCs massacred :P ?

Hmm... How about Abydos?

#66 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 27 October 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

No, I haven't experimented with it - but I did try sleeping in Periphas' bed with the door open, and wasn't kicked out. So perhaps this is unique to Periphas, or maybe it's unique to characters who wake up at 5am or get less than a certain amount of sleep?

It might also just be unique to this character. Does he go to bed at nights?

Hey, at least I get him cured way faster my way :P He had to wait around for weeks in your playthrough! (Though I did appreciate that you avoided wandering around when it was dark out, since it was a little harder to follow what was going on when it was dark.)

At least, I didn't almost kill him by needlessly forcing him to drain his powers :P .

Hmm... How about Abydos?

So, you want every town to become like Abydos? You must hate all of the NPCs!

Selax

#67 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostSelax, on 27 October 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

It might also just be unique to this character. Does he go to bed at nights?

He does. My notes are upstairs, so I don't remember what time, but I'm pretty sure he gets up at 5am to start his dough. Few characters in the game get up that early.

So, you want every town to become like Abydos? You must hate all of the NPCs!

No, I want to see if you can (with cheating, if necessary) kill the Abydos ghosts :P

#68 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 27 October 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

No, I want to see if you can (with cheating, if necessary) kill the Abydos ghosts :P

Well, I should be able to set their status to dead in hexedit, but I don't know how that will affect the game.

Unfortunately, I'm a little too busy just now to experiment with this, although I'll make an effort to get around to it.

Selax

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users