Ambrosia Software Web Board: Cythera Youtube Playthrough - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Youtube Playthrough Note: I'm not much of a video editor.

#26 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 03 October 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Nonsense, I've fasted through the game plenty of times.

I seem to recall that Wizard experimented and determined that it affected the character's regeneration rate.

Which is exactly why saving the scrolls would've been a good choice for you.

Which is exactly why saving the scrolls would've been a good choice for you.

Except then I'd be carrying around a bunch of things that I don't need and won't use, when they have a productive use (being used for the grimoire).

You have a point, but it's irrelevant in this instance, and besides, how many off those spells are in the higher degree halls?

In this instance, perhaps so, but it backs up my argument of the intent of the scrolls. I see nothing wrong with using them for their intended purpose :P .

Yep, I thought the trees were too thick to pass through.

I think there are several ways through the trees. You'd have to look at Wizard's map.

Good thing you saved your Death Strike scroll! Oh wait...

I don't tend to use death strike in combat. It costs too much mana and (before you counter with the use of the scroll) the targets generally don't hold still, making the cast wasted in any case.

I thought it was the other way around o_O

I don't think so, although you might be right.. In any case, examination of future videos will reveal the answer.

Uh, yeah I have:
Have you heard of a word that will stop us going wrong? The time is now.
(Day 1, 7, etc. add:) Oil and wine do not readily mix, and will break apart unless bonded.
(First time she says that one, add:) I have something for you that might help your understanding.
(She hands you a book bound in a blue cover, and for a second, it seems as if the insanity fades.)
(Day 2, 8, etc. add:) Those that are not human do not have the values of humans.
(Day 3, 9, etc. add:) To a mighty oak, a single insect does not exist.
(Day 4, 10, etc. add:) To accept both that which is true and that which is false as equal, that is the greatest of gifts.
(Day 5, 11, etc. add:) Some struggles are eternal, but the cycle can be broken by those of great resolve and will.
(Day 6, 12, etc. add:) Truth is not absolute, for it, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Wait...

You mean that you've solved a long-running mystery in Cythera--indeed, a search of almost all topics on this subject seem to indicate Prusa's actions are random--a mystery worthy of an update to Slayer's Guide itself (!)...and the only person you told was Wizard :blink: ?

Sounds like a Chron idea! ^_^

It could be your summer chron submission!

Oh, wait...

I've learned at least three things about Cythera from your playthrough so far!
1) You can Death Strike magically locked doors
2) You can get to the iron mine through the trees, and probably bypass the ruffians
3) You can give Eudoxus' note to Halos
This is part of why I love your playthrough so much :D

Thank you :) , I've learned several things through your comments. (You also learned that Atyminus eats breakfast at House Attis, which may be something new to me as well actually.)

If you refuse to pay 50, he'll offer 40, then (grudgingly) 35.

Thanks, I'll have to try that in future.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#27 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

I seem to recall that Wizard experimented and determined that it affected the character's regeneration rate.

It does, but it's still quite possible to beat the game. (Admittedly, in my games I've gone back to Alaric for healing periodically. I haven't noticed you doing that, so I guess props to you for not wasting Alaric's last traces of magic.) I do usually eat, but I've gone through the game without eating before.

Except then I'd be carrying around a bunch of things that I don't need and won't use, when they have a productive use (being used for the grimoire).

Not very productive, since you could just as easily have learned those spells in Pnyx.

In this instance, perhaps so, but it backs up my argument of the intent of the scrolls.

What about Directed Nexus and any other scrolls that are available in the main Pnyx library?

I don't tend to use death strike in combat. It costs too much mana and (before you counter with the use of the scroll) the targets generally don't hold still, making the cast wasted in any case.

It doesn't cost any mana if you use the scroll :P
Casting the spell is expensive, but I think it's worthwhile when fighting demons. I always save before casting it (unless I'm cheating & have plenty of mana) in case the demon moves out-of-range, but I try to position myself so that's unlikely.

Wait...

You mean that you've solved a long-running mystery in Cythera--indeed, a search of almost all topics on this subject seem to indicate Prusa's actions are random--a mystery worthy of an update to Slayer's Guide itself (!)...and the only person you told was Wizard :blink: ?

Dude, this Prusa stuff is old news. I'd pretty-much had her figured out before doing the dialogue collecting (and discussed it on the forum), but that's when I figured out her exact rotation of dialogues. I uploaded the dialogue files so anyone with an account could've downloaded & read them. And Wizzy posted them publicly on his Cythera site. Apparently, you were just too lazy to read them. *Shrug*

It could be your summer chron submission!

Oh, wait...

I don't think that would qualify with the Chron challenge requirements? Oh wait, you like ignoring the requirements.

(You also learned that Atyminus eats breakfast at House Attis, which may be something new to me as well actually.)

Oh yeah! I should keep a running list of everything I'm learning from this series ^_^ I think there was one other minor thing that I can't remember right now :\
I'll become even more undignified than this

#28 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 03 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Not very productive, since you could just as easily have learned those spells in Pnyx.

What about Directed Nexus and any other scrolls that are available in the main Pnyx library?

Why don't we just leave at this: you prefer to use the scrolls instead of mana and I don't like carrying them around.

It doesn't cost any mana if you use the scroll :P
Casting the spell is expensive, but I think it's worthwhile when fighting demons. I always save before casting it (unless I'm cheating & have plenty of mana) in case the demon moves out-of-range, but I try to position myself so that's unlikely.

In general, I find daemon fights to be either fairly easy or fairly hard, and I'm not sure what the determining factor is. Of late, they have not been hard, but, in this game, unfortunately, they were. In any case, controlling the character was somewhat difficult in this game.

Dude, this Prusa stuff is old news. I'd pretty-much had her figured out before doing the dialogue collecting (and discussed it on the forum), but that's when I figured out her exact rotation of dialogues. I uploaded the dialogue files so anyone with an account could've downloaded & read them. And Wizzy posted them publicly on his Cythera site. Apparently, you were just too lazy to read them. *Shrug*

I've only checked once, but I only found one mention about Prusa and that was concerning the first day. I'll look into it and probably adjust Slayer's Guide appropriately.

Why would I read all the dialogue online? I can still play the game :P .

I don't think that would qualify with the Chron challenge requirements? Oh wait, you like ignoring the requirements.

I don't actually recall ignoring the requirements. I generally don't bother to check if submissions match them exactly, but most people generally don't bother submitting anything.

Oh yeah! I should keep a running list of everything I'm learning from this series ^_^ I think there was one other minor thing that I can't remember right now :\

Is it that Eioneus leaves the forge at lunch? I didn't recall that.

The next part of the playthrough--here and here--is now available. In this portion, I talked to Prusa (again), raided the Tyrant's Tomb, and entered Ayrit. No doubt 453 will find the tomb raid appalling: I didn't remember to check the guide for the levers sequence and, in spite of my best efforts, my character seemed to think that walking on spike traps was fun. I did pause and consult the guide at one point (when ringing the bells).

Selax

#29 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

Why don't we just leave at this: you prefer to use the scrolls instead of mana and I don't like carrying them around.

Aww, you're done arguing about something pointless? :(

(For the record, I rarely use the scrolls either; but I certainly don't waste them on my grimoire. I just waste them my leaving them sitting in my pouch the whole game.)

In general, I find daemon fights to be either fairly easy or fairly hard, and I'm not sure what the determining factor is. Of late, they have not been hard, but, in this game, unfortunately, they were.

I look forward to watching to your demon-fight videos to see if I have any ideas on why they were harder than sometimes. Maybe because you never trained enough in defense & physical combat? :P Or maybe it has to do with your followers' attack strategies? It might be easier to kill a demon if it's running around chasing Aethon than if it's actively attacking you. Also did you get odd helmets and the Sword of Heroes before going after the demons?

In any case, controlling the character was somewhat difficult in this game.

Oh :( Do you know why?

I've only checked once, but I only found one mention about Prusa and that was concerning the first day. I'll look into it and probably adjust Slayer's Guide appropriately.

If you come across my old posts confidently explaining my previous theories about Prusa which I've since disproven, feel free to delete them ;)

Why would I read all the dialogue online? I can still play the game :P

Show-off :[ Although checking the dialogue collection might have saved you some time...

Is it that Eioneus leaves the forge at lunch? I didn't recall that.

No, I knew that... I've got a list on my computer now of things I learned from your playthrough, so if I think of anything else, I'll add it to the list.

#30 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 05 October 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I look forward to watching to your demon-fight videos to see if I have any ideas on why they were harder than sometimes. Maybe because you never trained enough in defense & physical combat? :P Or maybe it has to do with your followers' attack strategies? It might be easier to kill a demon if it's running around chasing Aethon than if it's actively attacking you. Also did you get odd helmets and the Sword of Heroes before going after the demons?

I would guess that my party members and I were not sufficiently leveled.

Oh :( Do you know why?

Indeed, I had not played the game in some time and rushed somewhat more than usual.

If you come across my old posts confidently explaining my previous theories about Prusa which I've since disproven, feel free to delete them ;)

Right, I'll pin them as soon as I find them :P .

Show-off :[ Although checking the dialogue collection might have saved you some time...

I generally forgot to check the guide and other reference material in advance. Once I started playing, I tried to avoid pausing to consult outside sources.

The next part of the playthrough is available. In this part, I visited Ayrit and talked to Sabinate and the other Seldane. I then stopped by LKH to improve my defense slightly. Finally, I returned to Cademia and began to explore the sewers. I also raided the stores for the Guild, which will, no doubt, horrify 453 :P .

Selax

#31 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

Maybe Selax needs to get a twitch stream so we can do #cythera plays Cythera.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#32 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

I don't know what a twitch stream is, but that sounds amazing! :D

#33 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

The next part of the playthrough has now been uploaded. In this portion, I finish the Cademian sewers and recover the Cloak of Hercules. I had to pause for one moment to look up the notes for the lyre. I completed the quest concerning Chrysothemis, talked to Thuria and Opheltius, and then spent the rest of the video trying to get the book from Prusa (again).

Selax

#34 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostAvatara, on 05 October 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Maybe Selax needs to get a twitch stream so we can do #cythera plays Cythera.

We need to consult the mushroom steak
space9

#35 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

I almost forgot: my replies to 453's youtube comments on parts 9 through 12.

Well, not much to say about this one except to tease you. It took you long enough to try using the available pre-set dialogue prompts for returning Stentor's net :P And you still can't find the buried treasure :P And then you spent OVER SEVEN MINUTES pestering Prusa!@_@ I'm not exaggerating! Seven minutes! The majority of this video! I mean, listening to Prusa is kind of fun, but you could've seen from the very first attempt that she wasn't going to give you the book today, & come back in two days. I've got to say, this video is the least interesting of this series yet :P

I didn't recall that the prompt (which I had already used in my previous conversation) changed after speaking to Itanos, and I do eventually find the treasure :P .

As for Prusa, so far as Slayer's Guide and old topics suggested, talking to her all the time as much as possible was the only way known to get the book. I'll have to examine your data and update Slayer's Guide.

Heehee, you're such a wimp, using Resist Fire so you could step on a single lava tile! :P Maybe Ignae was the one who brought the humans to Cythera, but he says he doesn't know how it happened because he's a trickster? ^_^ (I still think it was Magpie though) Thank you for posting! ~453

…would you step on the tile and get burned for no reason?

Honestly, my impression is still that the author of the Cyper Manuscript is not native to Cythera. First, the author mentions the elemental forces in Cythera as though he is not one of them. Secondly, only Alaric (albeit in a weakened state) has been seen to demonstrate the ability to summon people from Earth to Cythera, and it took him an extreme effort. To summon a whole (presumably small fleet) would take immense power. I'm not certain any single elemental (not even necessarily Ur-Sylph) possesses such strength. Thirdly, I think we may have discussed this before (only briefly it seems but still), so there's no point in derailing this topic :P .

Since you warned me ahead of time, I don't guess I'll complain about you stepping on every single spike trap and setting off the levers in entirely the wrong order. But you (accidentally?) attacking Timon instead of a spike trap was pretty amusing ^_^ I'm surprised none of your followers freaked out about it, was it because you missed him?
Also, what was the point of digging the hole to UrSlyph's prison, then walking away?
Cheers, ~453

Is there any harm in opening Ur-Sylph's prison? I was in the area but was not prepared to cross all that lava.

Thanks for the video! & guess what? I learned something else about Cythera - I didn't know dropping the coffer & picking it up a second time would re-open the portcullis ^_^ Seems like an error in tomb security, but cool trick!
I was amused when a rock fell on your head and you said "ouch!" at the same time, Hector was right next to you saying "tasty!" :D
Waiting for you to check the bell order was kinda boring :P Actually I thought you were doing that in the previous video when you stood still for several seconds at the end of the lever maze. Oh well, two bits for Wizzy to cut out later ^_~

Now you understand why--when I forget to consult the guide in advance--I simply continue on rather than pause frequently :P .

Hmm, I can't really think of anything to complain about in this episode :( You could've gained some experiences killing slugs and jellyfish, but meh, and I was waiting for you to get the fur cloak, but maybe you're about to do that in the next chapter. Thanks for uploading! ~453

Nothing to complain about :blink: ?

You should rest. You must not feel well.

Selax

#36 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostBuzzzzy, on 06 October 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

We need to consult the mushroom steak
space9

Oh man, my old mushroom steak/Prusa theory! That was bad :x Two faulty theories combined, it was quite deranged. No one seemed concerned, so I guess you're all used to insanity from me. Oh well, at least I understand Prusa now, though I still don't quite understand the mushroom steak. I've gotten it several times but can't tell you exactly why sometimes it came about one way and sometimes another way...

What does space9 mean?

View PostSelax, on 06 October 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

As for Prusa, so far as Slayer's Guide and old topics suggested, talking to her all the time as much as possible was the only way known to get the book. I'll have to examine your data and update Slayer's Guide.

Talking to her 50 times is ridiculous. I'm not sure why that ever became a method of getting the book of beauty. I'm confident that it's as simple as I wrote in the dialogue collection ^_^

…would you step on the tile and get burned for no reason?

Yeah, I guess I do. A tiny bit of HP or a considerable amount of mana... I'd pay the HP. I wonder how you'll handle Land's End? You'll probably just wait around for Alastor to finish the boots @_@

Honestly, my impression is still that the author of the Cyper Manuscript is not native to Cythera. First, the author mentions the elemental forces in Cythera as though he is not one of them. Secondly, only Alaric (albeit in a weakened state) has been seen to demonstrate the ability to summon people from Earth to Cythera, and it took him an extreme effort. To summon a whole (presumably small fleet) would take immense power. I'm not certain any single elemental (not even necessarily Ur-Sylph) possesses such strength. Thirdly, I think we may have discussed this before (only briefly it seems but still), so there's no point in derailing this topic :P/> .

I like pointlessly derailing topics! I still think Magpie fits perfectly. He refers to the elements as though he's an outsider because he's not accepted as a seldane or an undine. He's the one who recommended Alaric summon Bellerophon to Cythera, so he was familiar with the possibility. Magpie may be twice as powerful as Alaric, since Alaric's half human; and besides I think it was only so hard for Alaric because he was already sick.

This post has been edited by BreadWorldMercy453: 06 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

#37 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 06 October 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

Oh man, my old mushroom steak/Prusa theory! That was bad :x Two faulty theories combined, it was quite deranged. No one seemed concerned, so I guess you're all used to insanity from me. Oh well, at least I understand Prusa now, though I still don't quite understand the mushroom steak. I've gotten it several times but can't tell you exactly why sometimes it came about one way and sometimes another way...

That's not actually what I was referring to, but wasn't the steak connected to character classes or lockpicking or something?

What does space9 mean?

Well, Cythera doesn't have a start button…
http://gaming.stacke...tchplayspokemon
Also, http://en.wikipedia....ys_Pok%C3%A9mon

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 07 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

#38 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

So wait, if we do a Cythera twitch stream, we'd all control the player together? o_O That sounds crazy and really fun!

#39 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Talking to her 50 times is ridiculous. I'm not sure why that ever became a method of getting the book of beauty. I'm confident that it's as simple as I wrote in the dialogue collection ^_^

I think that I might examine it more closely myself. A couple of older topics have one or two posters speaking about getting the book on various different days, although I'm not certain if they're using game time or measuring time relative to their first conversation with Prusa. I'm pretty certain that you are correct though.

Yeah, I guess I do. A tiny bit of HP or a considerable amount of mana... I'd pay the HP. I wonder how you'll handle Land's End? You'll probably just wait around for Alastor to finish the boots @_@

I prefer (generally) to avoid pointless injuries. As for the volcano, that would seem the reasonable course of action, although I suppose you'd prefer to see my character burn to death :P .

Oh, and I started a separate topic on the Cypher Manuscript to hinder your efforts to derail this one :P .

The next part of the playthrough is available--here and here. In this portion, I spoke with Prusa (again), acquired the alligator boots from Alastor, and finally located the buried treasure chest. I then talked to Prusa again and finally got the Sapphire Book. Afterward, I visited Ur-Sylph. I stopped by Pnyx but, since I had all but one book, decided to wait until I could turn in all six at once (just for the fun of it). Then, I met with Charax, but I forgot to speak with Palaestra first and so could not speak with him. Finally, I went to the Temple of the Cult of Scylla, although the game froze before I finished it. Thus, that segment is completed in the next video.

Selax

#40 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

The next part of the playthrough is now up--here and here. In this segment, I finished exploring the temple and returned to Pnyx. After some additional training in mana and casting, I entered the catacombs and visited Elder Diones' workshop. I tried to activate the wishing fountain, but it seems that I don't remember how to do so. At the end of this portion, I returned to the Iron Mine.

Selax

#41 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

First, my response to 453's youtube comments:

I've got two minutes of the video to go, but you're just pestering pestering pestering Prusa, so hopefully I'm not missing anything by scrolling down to the comment section. I don't know what's more boring, watching you go through the same monologues with Prusa over & over, or waiting for you to look up the PMG code :P
I can't remember, does that fountain below the sewers have any effect? Does it cure poisoning or anything?
You've proven my unguent theory wrong by curing Aethon's poisoning before his HP was full. I didn't quite believe you until I saw it :P I guess I should add that to the Things I Learned list!
Thanks for uploading! ~453

I don't know if the fountain has any additional effects. I seldom visit that area. I didn't know it existed until I mapped the zones.

Yay, more Cythera playthrough! ^_^ Every day, I look forward to the new Cythera Playthrough episode :D
Might I point out that this episode supports my Prusa data. You talked to her at 9pm on day 6, went back to Odemia and slept in Omen's bed, came back in the morning and received the book the VERY FIRST TIME YOU SPOKE TO HER ON DAY 7 :P Every other time you talked to her in this game was pointless.
Congrats on finally getting the gator boots, the buried treasure (hope that was worth the trouble for 140-some oboloi :P), and the book of beauty!

Actually, I think you're the only person watching the videos… :(

I think you are probably correct, but I always like to check things, especially before updating the guide.

Thank you, and I think finding the chest was worth the trouble :P .

Wowev, so many comments on this one:
You went right up to the ruffian encampment, I thought you were going to raid it, but then you checked you skill list and kept going o_O I was like, what? Then you went around the mountains and back up to Pnyx. I guess you just wanted to take the scenic route to Pnyx... except you didn't even really go into Pnyx.
I notice that you keep Meleager's hands empty - does this improve his ability in combat? I know he doesn't like weapons, but I usually give him a shield or two until I get the gauntlets. Do the shields inhibit him, do you know?
On Charax refusing to speak to you: I would too if you just barged into my house and stole my grapes :P
When the polyps attacked you outside of Charax' house, did you tell Hector to attack himself? o_O And HE OBEYED? Everything was going kind of fast so I wasn't certain that's what happened, but that's what it looked like...
I thought it was funny that you were meticulously searching every skeleton in the scylla temple, and completely ignored the pouch (with oboloi!) on one of them :P
You, your followers, and the polyps all seemed to be walking through the statues @_@ Weird.
I could tell you were bummed that there was no food in the centuries-abandoned temple. You totally would've taken it if there was :P
Cheers, ~453

I suppose it might have been shorter to head through the mountain pass from Ur-Sylph's prison, but I suspect I was still debating my destination at the time. I also don't see the harm in leveling somewhat before going after the ruffians and I didn't have the equipment I wanted either.

I stopped by Pnyx to reunify my followers in case I had to deal with polyps before reaching Charax's house.

I haven't really experimented with Meleager and other weapons. I just tend to leave him weaponless since I'm going to give him the gauntlets at some point anyway.

I honestly didn't notice the pouch (even though I was searching for it), but I did remember to go back through and get it in the next video.

Yay, thanks for another video! :D
What was the pause in this video for? o_O
Nice job killing all three titans! ^_^
Out of curiosity, is it easier to make your followers attack targets during combat? It looks like a nuisance @_@

Most probably, I was called away from the computer to attend to some other task.

Thank you :) , although I'm surprised you aren't complaining that I'm killing native wildlife.

I have experimented with other AI settings (although not recently). Sometimes they're more effective and sometimes they're not. I just tend to stick with targeted attack because it seems to work well enough.

WHOA, awesome demon takedown! I totally thought you were going to have trouble with it, after you went on about the demons being hard this playthrough :P When you asked Meleager to attack the demon with his bare hands, I was like What! And Timon physically attacking it! And NO ONE wearing odd helms (seriously, why didn't you raid that ruffian encampment in the last episode?)! But obviously your crazy strategy worked. Maybe it was Timon's magical staff? ^_^
I still thinking training that far in Casting isn't worthwhile, I think you've wasted about 7 training points on it :P
Why did you go to sleep before exploring the tunnels? Just to regenerate Timon's mana? o_O
If I remember correctly, the fountain offers you a wish after you "use" it several times. Maybe you just didn't "use" it enough?
Cheers ~453

Thank you, but the next daemon fight in Abydos didn't go particularly well.

I don't think I usually use odd helms against the daemons in Pnyx or Abydos. Daemons don't seem to use fear and such as often as liches do, although the one in Abydos did cast fear on Aethon.

I prefer to not have to worry about spells malfunctioning :P .

Yes, I preferred to have Timon ready to heal if necessary.

The next part of the playthrough is up. In this segment, I spoke with Jhiaxus and went to Abydos. My first attempt to kill the daemon didn't go as well as I wanted (Meleager being far less effective than some other times), so I reverted the game (unfortunately not having saved as recently as I would have liked) and tried again. The second attempt was satisfactory. After recovering the last Sapphire Book, I headed for Land's End Volcano.

Selax

#42 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostSelax, on 09 October 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I don't know if the fountain has any additional effects. I seldom visit that area. I didn't know it existed until I mapped the zones.

You mapped the zones? I thought Wizzy did all that :x

Actually, I think you're the only person watching the videos… :(

Really? Come on guys, you don't know what you're missing out on! This is the most fun I've had on this board since Grapper's Return returned! :D

I also don't see the harm in leveling somewhat before going after the ruffians and I didn't have the equipment I wanted either.

Your logic frustrates me :P You're basically saying you fought polyps and demons to train up for fighting ruffians? Okay...

I don't think I usually use odd helms against the daemons in Pnyx or Abydos. Daemons don't seem to use fear and such as often as liches do, although the one in Abydos did cast fear on Aethon

Odd helmets protect against all kinds of magically-induced status problems, not just fear, right? I've always considered odd helmets to be as helpful against demons as they are against liches.

I prefer to not have to worry about spells malfunctioning :P .

I'm pretty sure there's still a chance of spell failure at 15 casting, though maybe I'm remembering wrong. I'm not convinced the risk of spell failure at 15 casting is significantly less than the risk of spell failure at 8 casting. I wish I could play Cythera and experiment with it!

#43 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 09 October 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

You mapped the zones? I thought Wizzy did all that :x

I'm referring to the mapping described in this post.

Your logic frustrates me :P You're basically saying you fought polyps and demons to train up for fighting ruffians? Okay...

I'm saying that if I used the advanced equipment to fight a few polyps and daemons (actually, I only fought one of these without the more advanced weapons, two without the helmets) I'd miss out on the fun of getting to it on multiple ruffians :P .

Odd helmets protect against all kinds of magically-induced status problems, not just fear, right? I've always considered odd helmets to be as helpful against demons as they are against liches.

I believe they protect from paralysis and confusion, yes, but daemons don't seem to use those as wildly as the liches do.

The next part of the playthrough is available--here and here. In this segment, I visited Land's End Volcano and completed the quest concerning Jinrai. I then returned to the mine and spoke to Jhiaxus again. I visited Pnyx, dropped off the Sapphire Books (although the quest didn't get marked as completed), and went to the last three Halls. Finally, I returned to LKH and talked to Magpie.

Selax

#44 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:22 AM

Well, I actually uploaded this earlier, but it's been a bit of easy day.

Anyway, in this portion, I visited Cademia and finished the Iron Mine quest. Then, I obtained the mystic helmet and spoke to Sabinate. Finally, I went to the swamp and talked to Larisa.

Selax

#45 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

In response to 453's youtube comments:

I still think the easiest way to kill a demon is with death strike :P/> Odd helmets help too!
I didn't know (or forgot) about that little secret room in the passage leading to the Book of Wisdom. Another thing to add to my list! ^_^ Thanks for uploading! ~453

I don't really use death strike for much due to its mana cost. (No, I'm not interested in discussing the potential uses of scrolls :P .)

It's been so long since I've explored the side-passages in Land's End, I forgot what they looked like! ^_^

I thought I remembered having an issue with Aethon refusing to "wait"? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, you didn't seem to have any trouble with him.

I have had issues with "wait" before, but I don't think there related specifically to Aethon. In general, I find the command safe to use.

Do you usually just let your assistances burn when you enter the volcano or tell them to "leave"?

Wowev, you don't use your journal much, just for Magisterium passwords!

Someday I'd like to experiment with all the spells in the game and try to figure out which ones even work, & to what extent. I had started doing that once but the computer stopped working :\

Thanks for the video! ~453

…is there another reason to use the journal?

You're welcome :) .

Thanks for the video! I get nostalgic while you wander around LKH doing nothing ^_^
One random attack training - you really don't plan to be attacking physically much, do you? I remember you trained in sword once earlier, what do you think is better, training in attack, or training in sword? (assuming you'll be using a sword)
Do you always sleep so much, or only in this playthrough, so that we viewers don't have to deal with the darkness of night?
Kinda creepy with the mystic helmet - when you unlocked the door, you pressed the strange device buttons in the same order that I would have o_O That's maybe the first time that's happened in this series, you doing something the same way I do it... (I don't even know if it's the quickest way to unlock the door, I've never counted or thought it through) You also put the Mystic Helmet on Aethon (as I do), which surprised me because you usually take everything for yourself, but I suppose you were expecting to get the odd helms soon. 
I thought that Larisa left Khalkis as soon as the player leaves the zone, I didn't know she might leave while you're still in the zone. Something new to add to my list! ^_^ Cheers, ~453

I'm not certain what the nature of the difference between "sword" and "attack" is. I would probably train higher in "attack" depending on how my character levels, but I don't think that I had much occasion to do so in this game.

I tend to sleep when I want my character to regenerate or time to pass, although I do seem to recall that--because there isn't so much that one can do in a city during the night--I tend to have the character sleep at night somewhat regularly.

…you memorize the sequence of buttons you use to activate the strange device? I think that I stuck it on Aethon because he didn't have a better helmet and I don't consider it very useful, since it offers none of the protections given by the odd helmets.

I think that I knew that about Larisa but had forgotten it.

The next portion of the playthrough is available--here and here. In this segment, I visited Maayti. 453 will probably find it appalling, since I tend to just press button at random to get the doors to open. Once I collected the third Crolna shard, I returned to Ayrit and spoke to Sabinate.

Selax

#46 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostSelax, on 12 October 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Do you usually just let your assistances burn when you enter the volcano or tell them to "leave"?

I let them burn if they're stupid enough to step on hot lava, which they only do if I happen to step on the same lava tile on that turn. Otherwise they avoid the lava, even if it means they can't follow me all the way in. (If I remember correctly, they won't avoid lava if I use Resist Fire on them, but it seems a waste of mana)

…is there another reason to use the journal?

When I was a Cythera newbie, I wrote everything in the journal ^_^ That would eventually glitch up the journal :( Apparently the journal isn't designed to contain every single game dialogue. So then I started only using the journal for stuff that seemed useful, the pnyx passwords, the code for the Kosha grotto, Demodocus' comments about Neoptolemus, etc. I don't remember what all. Now I pretty much don't use the journal at all unless I want to know what day it is. Is there an easier way to figure out what day it is than to record something in the journal & check the journal for the timestamp?

I'm not certain what the nature of the difference between "sword" and "attack" is. I would probably train higher in "attack" depending on how my character levels, but I don't think that I had much occasion to do so in this game.

According to the Cythera Documentation:
"Attack(R) - This skill is used to determine the base chance of hitting during combat."
"Sword(R) - This skill determines how well you can use a sword in combat. It adjusts not only your chance to hit, but also the amount of damage you do (since, when trained properly, you can use the weapon more effectively). This includes swords (all sizes and shapes), daggers, and spears."
That implies that while Attack is more versatile, Sword is better to train in if you've chosen to use a sword. But, the accuracy of the Cythera Documentation is questionable, and even it's right, I don't know if Attack might increase the chance of hitting more than Sword does. It's something I've always been curious about @_@
(Edit: I didn't mean to put registered trademarks on Attack and Sword when I was quoting the documentation, I hope it's not illegal to accidentally put a registered trademark on something. I'll see if I can fix it by adding an empty code.)

…you memorize the sequence of buttons you use to activate the strange device?

No, just while I was watching the video I thought to myself "I'd click that button, now I'd click that one," etc., and was surprised that you were actually doing the same thing ^_^ (Now the buttons below Maayti I actually memorized because I often used a guide, so I used the same sequence every time. But I don't think I have them memorized anymore. The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are: First room, 21,21,211, & last room, 123,123,321 :D)

This post has been edited by BreadWorldMercy453: 12 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

#47 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 12 October 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

I let them burn if they're stupid enough to step on hot lava, which they only do if I happen to step on the same lava tile on that turn. Otherwise they avoid the lava, even if it means they can't follow me all the way in. (If I remember correctly, they won't avoid lava if I use Resist Fire on them, but it seems a waste of mana)

I seem to recall having difficulty with them trying to cross lava if the distances involved are large (e.g. Land's End Volcano as compared to the much smaller Ur-Sylph's prison). Thus, I generally just tell them to wait.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 12 October 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

No, just while I was watching the video I thought to myself "I'd click that button, now I'd click that one," etc., and was surprised that you were actually doing the same thing ^_^ (Now the buttons below Maayti I actually memorized because I often used a guide, so I used the same sequence every time. But I don't think I have them memorized anymore. The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are: First room, 21,21,211, & last room, 123,123,321 :D)

I find it easier just to click the buttons at random, rather than attempt to remember (or figure out) something I rarely use. Alternatively, I could try creating a scroll of fetch with a few dozen uses.

Selax

#48 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

The next part of the playthrough is up--here and here. In this portion, I visited Kosha to sell gems (453 will probably accuse me of being excessively greedy for doing so) and then went to the crab cove to recover the Timeflux book.

Selax

#49 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

The next part of the playthrough is available. After a brief stop at Kosha, I raided the ruffian encampment and then headed for the harpies' den.

Selax

#50 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

In response to 453's youtube comments:

So this is how an engineering physicist solves logic problems? :P I admit, it's cool that you actually solved them instead of just cheating and using a guide, but your method of random clicking wasn't terribly interesting :P Thank you for uploading! ~453

Actually, we tend to use assumptions, simplifications, simulations, etc.

Dude, did you get lost in Ayrit? That was a lot of back&forth ^_^ I remember the time I played through the game with your Rocky the Flying Chicken savefile, my favourite part was freeing Maayti. I flew right over the water, picked up the Crolna, & was like "well, that was easy." :D Cheers! ~453

In Ayrit? Do you mean Maayti? Some of us don't play the game often enough to memorize all routes :P .

Nah, you weren't too greedy with selling the rubies: You didn't even take Atreus for all he's worth :P
Well, this time I would've done the strange device buttons differently, so I guess last time was a coincidence. Cheers, ~453

What? Do you mean you can raise the price you sell them at?

Were you just standing around waiting for your mana to regenerate for the final hydra? -_- That's kind of boring. You could've at least tried the Mystic Spear, or something...
Thanks for the video! ^_^ ~453

Considering the spear would just have stuck to the hydra and I still would have had to wait on the mana, I'd rather wait to recharge the mana. I don't consider the spear to be any more useful than the helmet.

Yay, thanks for another video! ^_^
Don't you think it's cruel to force Timon to steal his sister's boots? :( Also, why do you move everything twice before stealing it? I'm pretty sure there's no reason to move things more than once (and dropping out of a dresser/crate/etc counts as moving). 
Finally, the ruffian encampment! :) Watching you pick over all the corpses was rather boring, but it made me happy when you rang the bell ^_^ I like to ring the bell too.
Why did you steal a full helm for Meleager and then immediately replace it with an odd helm? o_O

Are you saying Timon's sister wouldn't want him to have dry feet?

I wasn't certain if dropping things counted. Hence, I move them twice to err on the caution.

I try to update their equipment as I find it. I noticed he needed a new helm, got him one, found the odd helms, and got him one.

Well, I actually uploaded this yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post here. In this segment, I visited the harpy cave and recovered the mystic armor. I then went to Odemia and learned of Opheltius's murder. I also spoke to Thersites (who managed to appear to be in two places at once) twice about Antiphus and examined the jail cell. Finally, I headed to Cademia to investigate the murder.

Selax

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users