Ambrosia Software Web Board: Question on the Blazing Trails TS Timeline - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on the Blazing Trails TS Timeline Or TSs and Time Periods

#1 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Well, I'm probably going to go ahead and lock Rasmus soon, since it seems to be basically done; however, I am curious to hear opinions as to why this particular series was not very successful.

As I recall, the original goal of the Blazing Trails and Rasmus TS timelines was twofold: first, to experiment with TSs set in a different time and, second, to focus more on Cythera-related characters with weaker abilities and to have said characters develop their abilities and personalities as the stories continued. Unfortunately, it never seemed to attract as much interest as the main TS stories.

Was this due to the overall downturn in activity or to some other factor? How viable are TSs set in different time periods? Should another attempt at creating a different timeline for TSs be attempted in the future or is it not worth the effort?
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#2 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion that it wasn't successful. Inquiries was completed in far less time than other TSes (I mean, the villain was defeated, even if no one wrote a wrap-up post saying "and everyone went home and it was fine"). There hasn't been another one, but it's a little hard to do Rasmus & Co. without Two Jacks.

#3 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I agree that R&Co, like OoR, suffered from lack of Nezmy. Of course it's not just his fault, half the writers just disappeared. I guess I stopped contributing too.

I know at the beginning of Blazing Trails I was pushing for a "lighthearted" TS, and I feel bad that by the time a silly TS got started in earnest, I really wasn't in it. GM gave me an outlet for silly stories, and it's just way easier to steal other peoples' established characters than to work on building new ones. However, I really enjoyed the new characters in R&Co, especially Princess Danae and Pelli :D

In hindsight, I wonder if the BT series would have been more active if it was serious. (Looking at the activity level in OoR, maybe not...) In my mind, the original goal of BT was to be more game-based and more true to the game. The fact that everyone had different goals in mind might not have helped anything, but thats typical of TSes, isn't it?
I'll become even more undignified than this

#4 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

My reasons for classifying it as less than successful are the facts that it quickly diverged severely from the game (more so, in some ways, than the main TS timeline) and that it is unlikely to generate a sequel. This might be due to the general downturn in activity, but I'm curious what others think were the major causes of the difficulties encountered by this series and what they think (in general) of the viability of TSs in other timelines. (Also, I'm curious what recommendations others have for ending Rasmus.)

Selax

#5 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostSelax, on 17 July 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

My reasons for classifying it as less than successful are the facts that it quickly diverged severely from the game (more so, in some ways, than the main TS timeline) and that it is unlikely to generate a sequel. This might be due to the general downturn in activity, but I'm curious what others think were the major causes of the difficulties encountered by this series and what they think (in general) of the viability of TSs in other timelines. (Also, I'm curious what recommendations others have for ending Rasmus.)

Still sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. Why do you say that it diverged so severely, and why would that stop it from being successful? Right now, it seems unlikely that OoR will generate an an ending, let alone a sequel, so I don't think it's a fair point of comparison.

When you say "ending Rasmus", do you mean closing out R&C: Inquiries, or the entire timeline? If it's the former, then the aforementioned "and everyone went home and it was fine" works. If it's the latter, I don't see why it's important or even good to do.

#6 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Sely likes things to be complete. Long ago, when TSes were more frequent, it was fairly common for TSes to not have endings. Some of them just puttered out. Sely hates this. That's why, when it was obvious no one was interested in completing Witch Hunt, Sely summarized an ending rather than leave it incomplete.

R&Co was intended to be the "tavern" topic for this series, but we never bothered making a new topic for the current adventure. Maybe you should split all the posts from this adventure into a new topic, bring us back to home base, lock the new topic, & leave R&Co open in case anyone wants to use it again :D That would give you plenty of moderatory tasks, right?

This series did diverge a lot from the game, which I kind of expected when Valy joined (because I don't think he's ever played Cythera?), but actually, it mostly diverged after he left. I think our original idea was too boring, so we got more creative with it. I wouldn't say it diverged more than the main TS series. And as Fiery said, OoR also is unlikely to generate a sequel.

Anyway, I think we got two good TSes out of this series, and that's a good thing ^_^

#7 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

At this point, I'd say any story that gets completed is successful.

#8 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostPallas Athene, on 18 July 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

Still sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. Why do you say that it diverged so severely, and why would that stop it from being successful? Right now, it seems unlikely that OoR will generate an an ending, let alone a sequel, so I don't think it's a fair point of comparison.

When you say "ending Rasmus", do you mean closing out R&C: Inquiries, or the entire timeline? If it's the former, then the aforementioned "and everyone went home and it was fine" works. If it's the latter, I don't see why it's important or even good to do.

I'm counting the inclusion of non-Cytheran technologies and such as divergent from the game. (I confess to being as guilty as anyone of using these elements in Rasmus.) If adherence to the game was one of the goals of the TS, it was not successful in this area.

I don't plan to close out the entire timeline, just to lock Rasmus in the next week or two. Frankly, I hope it does generate a sequel, but I'm not optimistic about its chances of doing so.

As for OoR, I still have hopes of a sequel (since I fear the boards will not long survive the death of the TSs). Both storylines are (to the best of my knowledge) generally mapped out, although I'm not certain how certain either is to be completed any time soon.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 18 July 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

R&Co was intended to be the "tavern" topic for this series, but we never bothered making a new topic for the current adventure. Maybe you should split all the posts from this adventure into a new topic, bring us back to home base, lock the new topic, & leave R&Co open in case anyone wants to use it again :D That would give you plenty of moderatory tasks, right?

Hmm, maybe, but I'm inclined to suspect that simply starting another TS would have a higher chance of generating renewed interest (albeit only temporarily in all probability). I would leave Rasmus, but I don't think it's likely to generate any more activity than it already has.

Selax

#9 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'd say there's not enough interest to start a new TS, but maybe that's just me being pessimistic. If Nezmy was around, I'd feel more hopeful...

#10 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

You could always start a new TS and find out :P .

In any case, I'm still curious what caused people to lose interest in the Blazing Trails timeline. Was it the general downturn in activity or were there other factors involved?

Selax

#11 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Valy- Disappeared, from the board & both TS timelines
Wizzy- Disappeared, from the board & both TS timelines
Shorty- Disappeared, from the board & both TS timelines
Nezmy- Disappeared, from the board & both TS timelines
Kat- Told us she was more invested in DM & didn't have time for both
Fiery- Has never stuck around to the end of a TS, I don't think
Me- I don't think I've ever stuck around to the end of a TS either
Tyry- Not sure.

It doesn't seem to be anything personal to the timeline, in my opinion.

#12 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

I liked the original idea behind it, but when it quickly became apparent that it was going to be some random silly story, I decided against joining. (I think there was some post early on where a mob of ruffians was wiped out, and it became more ridiculous than the "overpowered hero" TS threads. I don't remember specifically though, just that it wasn't turning out to be a chance at starting a more in-world story.)
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#13 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostAvatara, on 23 July 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

I think there was some post early on where a mob of ruffians was wiped out, and it became more ridiculous than the "overpowered hero" TS threads.

That was probably my fault, I'm pretty sure I remember my character regularly killing ruffians in his backstory. (Maybe I could edit that to be him making up stuff to look cool, I dunno. Sely probably locked it anyway) I really had a different idea of what the intentions of the story were; I knew our characters were supposed to be weaker than the main-timeline characters, but that doesn't say much. I was focusing on keeping the story true-to-the-game, where it's not too hard to take on a group of ruffians even at level 1 or 2. In hindsight, I should have had the ruffians be scary and challenging.

#14 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I was going to have a farmer with absolutely no combat experience , but after that I just couldn't fit him in.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#15 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

We could try having the next story be less silly and less overpowered? (Hoping no one complains about inconsistencies...)

#16 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm up for trying again if anyone else wishes to do so.

If we do start another TS, who would be willing to participate?

Selax

#17 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

I'm game. Probably won't be Danaë again, though.

#18 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Oh no! She was so much fun! :despair:

#19 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, but claiming to be a princess was only going to work for so long, and she's not exactly the "come out of it a better person" type.

#20 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wait a minute, Princess Danaë is not really a princess?? :o

You may think it can only work for so long, but that's probably several years in real-time. I thought Retsy would only think she was a magess until the end of Yesterday's Dawn, but...

#21 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 27 July 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Wait a minute, Princess Danaë is not really a princess?? :o

I didn't say that! But the evidence is not forthcoming, so there's only so long that saying she's a princess can work.

#22 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Oh, but you must keep her! In the next TS, we can discover that she's really Alaric's daughter!

(it can still be unsilly....)

#23 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, I have gone ahead and closed Rasmus for now (unless there's a huge press to re-open it).

I have at least two people (myself and Sfiera) willing to join the next TS in this timeline, but I'd prefer to have at least three before starting another story. Any eager volunteers (or, at least, people who can be coerced into joining)?

Also, I'm open to suggestions on a storyline for the next story.

Selax

#24 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I feel like it would be disingenuous for me to join another story when I can't even keep up with one.

#25 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Well, I suppose I could borrow Wizard's account and post from it, but I don't think that would count as three people posting...

Selax

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users