• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drenched

#1 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

This story was originally written for BMW's birthday. She liked it enough that she transcribed it so you'd have a July chronicle.

---

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess named Retsy, who ruled over all Cademia. Okay, technically she was just a princess and her mom ruled over all Cademia, but still. She knew one day she would be Queen so she practiced doing princessy things. Your standard princess stuff like sliding down the banisters, stealing cookies from the kitchen, and splashing around in muddy puddles.

It was in the middle of splashing around after a rainstorm that Retsy discovered she had an audience. A mysterious blue-skinned girl was watching her, focusing intently on the soaking dress Retsy was dragging on the ground.

"That was totally awesome!" the mysterious girl said when Retsy walked over.

"It totally was!" Retsy replied with a big grin on her face. "Who are you? I've never seen you before."

The mysterious girl gave her a strange look. "I'm your sister!"

"I have a sister?"

"Of course, silly! Your parents were in my world for a while and... it's complicated."

"How is that possible?" Retsy exclaimed. "You don't even look like me!"

"I'll explain later," the girl replied shyly. "Maybe. Anyway, my name is Gwen. Do you want to build a snowman?"

"Sure!"

Snowmen were fun to make, and even more fun to push down a hill on a sled, sending them careening into the unsuspecting villagers below. There was just one teeny-tiny little problem. It was summer and there was no snow.

"Hmmm," Retsy mumbled as she sat down to think. She was thirsty too, so she waved her hand and conjured up some chocolate milk.

"How did you do that?" Gwen stared at Retsy, eyes wide in astonishment.

"Oh, this?" Retsy sprayed some chocolate milk on the ground. "I've always been able to summon chocolate milk with bare hands. I think it runs in the family."

"That's cool! Can I have some?"

"Sure!" Retsy pointed at Gwen, snapped her fingers, and chocolate milk burst from Gwen's nose.

"RETSATELLA!" a woman screamed from behind Retsy, startling her. It was her mother, and if she was using her full name, Retsy was in trouble.

"I warned you that you can't use your magic in front of other people! Now you've gone and hurt your sister!"

"But mooom! We were just having fun!"

"Your sister doesn't look like she is having fun!" It was true. Gwen was sitting in the mud crying, chocolate milk dripping from her nose.

"I'm sorry, Gwen," Retsy said.

"Sorry isn't good enough! You must learn to control your power! Now, go to your room and lock yourself inside until you can restrain yourself!"

Retsy's day had come to an end, and for the next twelve years, she never opened her door. Not even when her sister came by to see her. Try as she might, Retsy was unable to control her power. So, she stayed hidden and alone.

When Retsy turned eighteen, her parents decided to travel. They had always wanted to visit faraway places like Odemia and Catamarca, but they couldn't because traveling with children was a nuisance to other travelers. Now that Retsy was an adult, she could stay home and babysit her sister.

Unfortunately, since it was summer (again), all the roads were closed for road construction, so they decided to travel by canoe. Except, the dock assistant was too busy dreaming about how to ask the fruit vendor out that he wasn't watching and as soon as the King and Queen stepped into their canoe, it flipped over, drowning them in a tragic accident. Thus, Retsy was set to become Queen.

For the first time in ages, the castle doors were opened to the public. There was a grand feast and a ball. So many people around! Retsy wanted to hide, afraid they would discover her secret, but she had to be polite and pretend to laugh at a bunch of dumb jokes.

Her sister, on the other hand, was having a blast. Gwen had never seen so many people from strange distant places like the tavern, the tanner, or the house next door. And one particular guy had caught her fancy. She went over to meet him and they promptly fell in love.

Knowing her sister would want to hear the good news, the two of them rushed over to tell her.

"Hi, I'm Koi and I'm getting married," Koi said, extending his hand in greeting. Gwen clutched his other arm in anticipation.

"Congratulations," Retsy said, yawning. Being around so many people was tiring.

"I'm going to marry your sister," Koi continued.

"WHAT?" Retsy's screech brought all conversation to a halt. Everyone turned to stare at them. Furious, Retsy turned and stormed out of the hall. Or tried to.

Gwen grabbed Retsy's hand, sure that if she let her sister leave, Retsy would lock herself in her room for another twelve years. In the struggle, Retsy's glove fell off, and when she went to slap her sister, she ended up drenching all of the guests in a spray of chocolate milk.

"Oh no!" Retsy's worst fear had come true!

"Huh, this is kind of delicious," said an old man.

"It's kind of sticky," complained a lady.

"Would you like to stop by my farm? My cows stopped giving milk," a farmer asked.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Retsy screamed and fled in terror.

"Retsy, wait!" Gwen called out, but it was too late.

Retsy fled the castle and the town. She didn't stop running until she was all the way up in the mountains and out of breath. Looking around, she found herself all alone. Nobody to judge her. Nobody to be frightened or hurt by her cursed power. Here she didn't have to wear gloves. She could just let it go and be free.

Laughing, she burst out into song as she sprayed brilliant spirals of chocolate milk into the air. Caramel-colored milk drops rained from the sky, glittering like a thousand tiny stars in the sunlight. Finally, Retsy stopped to rest and looked around.

There was a giant sticky mess everywhere. Maybe that hadn't been such a good idea. Now, ants would be all over the place. Yuck!

Just as she turned to leave, a voice called out to her. "Retsy?" It was Gwen, riding up on a giant titan.

"Retsy! I've been looking all over for you!"

"Gwen! How the heck did you get that titan up the mountain?" Some of those passes had been quite narrow.

"It's complicated. Actually, it doesn't even matter. Retsy, I'm your sister. I love you and want you to come home."

Retsy thought for a moment. Maybe being around family wasn't so bad after all. "Okay," she agreed as she started to mount the titan.

"I'm still marrying Koi tomorrow."

Gwen sputtered from a sudden mouthful of chocolate milk.

THE END
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#2 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Reminds me of http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=499

#3 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hmm, well, I'm not certain what to comment on this one...maybe, I should just let it go ;) .
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#4 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yay Sely, I'm glad you've seen Frozen! ^_^ I thought you only watched boring movies like The Hobbit or Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (Actually come to think of it, that little red riding hood movie we watched together once was pretty good.)

I already raved about this story, so I'm not sure what else to say. I really enjoyed it! ^_^ Actually, I missed the Theano reference until I transcribed it - heehee, love it :D
I'll become even more undignified than this

#5 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

*applauds*

I'm going to assume Gwen is marrying an actual koi.

#6 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yay Sely, I'm glad you've seen Frozen! ^_^

I do have a niece and nephew, you know :P .

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

I thought you only watched boring movies like The Hobbit or Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (Actually come to think of it, that little red riding hood movie we watched together once was pretty good.)

Not true: I also watch "boring" movies like Gettysburg.

Indeed, Hoodwinked is a reasonably entertaining movie, although, sadly, it seems that the sequel wasn't particularly good.

View PostiKaterei, on 12 July 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

*applauds*

I'm going to assume Gwen is marrying an actual koi.

I'm going to assume that Gwen is marrying a sociopathic, power-hungry manipulator.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users