• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sail: Chapter 1 a Cythera novel

#1 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi everyone! First I want to apologize for more or less abandoning the TS. That doesn't mean I forgot about you all, though. I've been working on a secret project for a few months, and it's finally time to share it with you. :)

I'm currently taking a novel writing class, so my semester project seemed obvious - adapt a TS. The novel is a loose adaptation of the events in alt-Cythera before Dark Mirror. But this is Cythera like you've never seen it. New characters, creatures, maps, storylines. Yes, it's a lot of retconning, so basically forget everything you've ever read about my characters.

I've thrown in a few special things just for you guys though. For example, I renamed the humans 'itherans' because nobody can actually agree on whether it's Sithera or Kithera, so I just cut off the problematic letter. :P

This is just the opening scene so far, with the first ever in-depth look at Katerei's (K's) people and culture. I have a lot more written (15 000+ words and counting) but it needs editing still. So, I hope you enjoy it, and I'll try to post more as it gets finished!

[content now here]

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 14 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

#2 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to comment here, but I enjoyed reading it and I'm eager to read more ^_^ I love the imagery and I think you did a good job making it foreign-but-not-too-foreign :) The idea of a real published novel that is somewhat related to Cythera is really exciting!
I'll become even more undignified than this

#3 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Very interesting and well-written. I'm curious as to what will happen next.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#4 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

[nothing to see here]

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 14 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

#5 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Nice addition! I enjoyed reading it & am looking forward to reading chapter 2 tomorrow ^_^ I am curious what the words 'rin' and 'jouyen' mean? Maybe I'm supposed to figure that out as it goes along. I don't fully understand why K is so vehemently opposed to killing the wolflizards (maybe she feels related to them because she can turn into a wolf? :D), but it implies to me how much she values life and I wonder how she's going to make the transition from this to working with Selax.

Thanks for posting ^_^

#6 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 06 December 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I am curious what the words 'rin' and 'jouyen' mean?

A jouyen is basically a clan or tribe, and the Rin is Katerei's tribe.

I don't fully understand why K is so vehemently opposed to killing the wolflizards…

Because fighting them puts her jouyen in unnecessary danger, only a few years after a war wiped most of them out. As she sees it, the elders are sacrificing lives to defend something that's not really important.

I was having trouble with that section in particular, but keep in mind that whatever I post here is essentially a draft for the final novel, so I'll take note of anything you're confused by and try to clarify during editing. :) I think the first few chapters will need heavy revision later on, but I'm going to try plowing ahead for awhile and see where that gets me.

but it implies to me how much she values life and I wonder how she's going to make the transition from this to working with Selax.

It is a mystery Posted Image

#7 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think it is wise for you to keep plowing through the novel before worrying about revisions ^_^ You wouldn't want to spend four years revising chapter one!

I see now why she disagreed with the killing-wolflizards decision so strongly. I'm not sure if the war had been mentioned in chapter one, but if it was I missed it (though now that I've read the second chapter, the comment about their tribe consisting mainly of children and old people makes sense). Maybe a little more emphasis on the danger of the wolflizards would've cleared it up for me? Then again, I'm probably a lousy alpha-reader, since I'm way more easily confused than your average reader :x Also I'm used to playing Cythera and quickly developing an overpowered character who doesn't consider any native fauna a threat...

This post has been edited by BreadWorldMercy453: 11 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

#8 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 07 December 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Also I'm used to playing Cythera and quickly developing an overpowered character who doesn't consider any native fauna a threat...

Haha, I hadn't thought of it in terms of a game, but I like that concept. The protagonist starts out worried about wildlife, and gets stronger and more experienced and learns to confront scarier things (at risk of giving away spoilers :) )

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users