Ambrosia Software Web Board: Maps of Everywhere Else - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maps of Everywhere Else In Cythera, that is...

#1 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

I couldn't just stop with one or two. I had to do them all! I've been working on this project for the past month in every moment of spare time I can afford. It is finally complete enough that I feel I can share it.

Go HERE

That links to maps for every single region in the game. . .

If you're curious what guidelines I used when making those maps, see the "Notes" section at the bottom of the page. The ordering isn't anything final, neither is the naming, necessarily. I also may add a couple more guides at some point, but they aren't desperately needed. And I still may make slight alterations to a couple of the maps. Nothing really noticeable. Also, special thanks to Selax for teleporting me into some unreachable areas that were needed to complete a few maps.

I found the hintbook very interesting when I got it, because I had already completed maps for most of the regions in the game. It was kind of funny to see that these have actually be available for a while, but not in a high-quality form. By comparison, all the maps on the above-linked page are full in-game resolution and quality. Enjoy! :D

P.S. I think those are all the regions in the game; if you know of a region that I've missed, please let me know.

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 05 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

Wizard

#2 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

View PostThe Wizard, on 03 February 2011 - 01:38 AM, said:

... found the hintbook very interesting when I got it, because I had already completed maps for most of the regions in the game. It was kind of funny to see that these have actually be available for a while, but not in a high-quality form. By comparison, all the maps on the above-linked page are full in-game resolution and quality. Enjoy! :D

:blink:
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#3 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:27 AM

I mean the highest quality we have available to us! :P
Wizard

#4 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

:blink: My god, that is truly amazing. It is a shame we don’t have very many new players, this would be the ultimate companion to Slayer’s Guide. However, it seems you forgot the polyp cave and the cave below it with the timeflux book. :P

EDIT: nevermind, they’re listed as Crab Cove B and Crab Cove C, still a bit confusing though imo. :P But I suppose it makes sense structurally. You actually did miss a useless secret passageway under Abydos though (there's a secret door across from the ladder).

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 03 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

#5 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

This is absolutely wonderful. Fantastic work on your part. I am so happy that there are people keeping the Cythera spirit alive.

Beautiful level design in this one. These areas are nothing but legendary.

#6 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Wizzy, thank you very much for this! This will be very helpful for research when writing TSs, etc. I've thought for a while that it needed done, but I've been too lazy to try to learn how to splice pictures together like that.

I'm particularly impressed with how you fit the fur cloak area into Cademia :)

I cannot think of any zones that you missed. However, I do disagree with your suggested route in the Tyrant's tomb. I think the route I always use is quicker :P
My route is: Blue, red, pink, red, the one you didn't circle (does that one not do anything?), blue, cyan, green, yellow, orange, purple. Less backtracking that way, you see, and one less lever to pull (two if the unmarked one is unneeded).
I'll become even more undignified than this

#7 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Quite impressive, this is practically enough to make a FLASH game with.

I also think Wizard deserves the Title of "Cythera Cartographer."

Can anyone make that official? Maybe "Official Cythera Cartographer"

#9 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

View PostiKaterei, on 03 February 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

I guess you were envisioning the near future when people decide to ask you to spice everything up... ;)
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#10 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

I tried not to think about it. I failed. I then realized that these maps are more helpful than anything I could make anyway, so no one has a reason to ask me for any :P

#11 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

But I must have plastic pink flamingos in front of the judge's house in Cademia!
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#12 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Shorty's right. Kat, it's your job to modify the maps to show us how they've changed in the 10-15 years since the game took place ^_~

I agree with Nezmy about the title for Wizzy.

#13 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Wait Katerei made maps?

#14 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:47 AM

Well done, Wizard :) . Thank you for all your effort in assembling these.

I plan to use these to update Slayer's Guide. Unless anyone else has a suggestion, I think they will have to be hosted remotely (due to their size), similar to the books and dialogue.

Still, I think Katerei should go through each map and see what she can do with them :P .
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#15 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostBuzzzzy, on 03 February 2011 - 04:17 AM, said:

You actually did miss a useless secret passageway under Abydos though (there's a secret door across from the ladder).

Thank you for pointing that out. I have changed "Under Abydos B" to include that secret passage. You may need to empty your browser's cache to see the current image.

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 03 February 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

I cannot think of any zones that you missed. However, I do disagree with your suggested route in the Tyrant's tomb. I think the route I always use is quicker :P
My route is: Blue, red, pink, red, the one you didn't circle (does that one not do anything?), blue, cyan, green, yellow, orange, purple. Less backtracking that way, you see, and one less lever to pull (two if the unmarked one is unneeded).

That hadn't even occurred to me to pull the red lever again before closing the passage. It does indeed make a much shorter route. I uploaded a new version of the key which uses your route. And yes, I tested the uncircled lever many, many times and checked all the passages and portcullis; as far as I could tell, it does absolutely nothing. I think it's there to throw the player off. Since it opens after flipping the pink lever, the player would naturally go to use that one. It adds a layer of complexity to have to go back and use the earlier levers.

Also, I made a slight rearrangement of the webpage. I moved the map index into the map directory, so the ending is no longer "/maps.html" but simply "/maps/". The link in the original post has been corrected to reflect this change.

Thank you everyone for all the comments. :D

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 05 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Wizard

#16 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

For anyone interested, I also added a complete Minimaps portion to the site, laid out exactly the same as the full maps page. Most of these minimaps were taken using the farsight spell, so certain features, such as stalagmites, doors, force walls, and solid objects like pedestals do not show. They're just meant to be a small guide to the general shape of a region.
Wizard

#17 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Triple post!

I went ahead and updated the Maps page with the remaining keys that I hadn't finished. Specifically, this includes the key to the black discs that operate Sabinate's area in Ayrit, the first floor of Pnyx (admittedly, this is only three steps, so it was hardly worth including, but I did it for completion's sake), and Maayti (probably the most expansive key I had to do). Also, I renamed the Seldane City as Ayrit, since most people seem to be able to remember it's name, although, I usually can't :P

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 22 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Wizard

#18 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on 22 March 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Triple post!

I went ahead and updated the Maps page with the remaining keys that I hadn't finished. Specifically, this includes the key to the black discs that operate Sabinate's area in Ayrit, the first floor of Pnyx (admittedly, this is only three steps, so it was hardly worth including, but I did it for completion's sake), and Maayti (probably the most expansive key I had to do). Also, I renamed the Seldane City as Ayrit, since most people seem to be able to remember it's name, although, I usually can't :P

Actually, I understood that Ayrit is the Seldane name for LKH, which includes the underground portion that you see as the Seldane city. :P

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 22 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

#19 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

i'm not really sure what all Ayrit applies to. The Headwater Ruins also used to link to the underground Seldane city, so I would guess that they would have a different name for each place, the Headwater Ruins, LandKing Hall, and the underground city. But, we're not really given any other names than Ayrit and Maayti. That brings up another question: I'd always thought of the Swamp Ruins as their own city and Maayti being the place underneath. Could it be that the Swamp Ruins are actually Maayti and the place beneath is a part of Maayti referred to as the Hall of Truth? This may be common knowledge among most Cytherans, so pardon my ignorance but I'm quite uncertain.
Wizard

#20 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

View PostThe Wizard, on 22 March 2011 - 11:52 PM, said:

i'm not really sure what all Ayrit applies to. The Headwater Ruins also used to link to the underground Seldane city, so I would guess that they would have a different name for each place, the Headwater Ruins, LandKing Hall, and the underground city. But, we're not really given any other names than Ayrit and Maayti. That brings up another question: I'd always thought of the Swamp Ruins as their own city and Maayti being the place underneath. Could it be that the Swamp Ruins are actually Maayti and the place beneath is a part of Maayti referred to as the Hall of Truth? This may be common knowledge among most Cytherans, so pardon my ignorance but I'm quite uncertain.

Yeah, Sabinate said that iirc. Maayti is the city of truth, versus the hall of truth, which explains the ruins. The underground linkage you mentioned brings up an interesting possible explanation for the lack of a name for the Headwater Ruins. Maybe it’s all part of Ayrit, and the ruins are merely an extension of LKH?

#21 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

I can't remember anything in the game referring to LKH as Ayrit. I actually thought Ayrit was just the Seldane word for "home" or something like that. They say "here is our Ayrit," that was just the impression I got. I think it's the underground city that's called Ayrit, for sure.

Also I venture that the Hall of Truth is just part of the City of Truth - I think it's all Maayti. Though I've also wondered where the word Khalkis came from?

#22 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 23 March 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I can't remember anything in the game referring to LKH as Ayrit. I actually thought Ayrit was just the Seldane word for "home" or something like that. They say "here is our Ayrit," that was just the impression I got. I think it's the underground city that's called Ayrit, for sure.

I'm not sure, I got the distinct impression for some reason that Ayrit's meaning was broader, I think it was based on talking with not just the seldane but also Magpie, but I can't find anything in the dialogue to suggest that. I don't know.

Also I venture that the Hall of Truth is just part of the City of Truth - I think it's all Maayti.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The Hall of Truth is just part of the city, which is now ruined.

#23 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Also I venture that the Hall of Truth is just part of the City of Truth - I think it's all Maayti. Though I've also wondered where the word Khalkis came from?

Khalkis looks Greek to me: Χαλκίς. A bit of checking confirms that there's a city by that name on the island of Euboea, in Greece (it's transliterated "Chalcis" but the Greek spelling is the same).

#24 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think that Ayrit refers only to the underground city. The Seldane seem to use it to describe their place of refuge, and, given that the Underground City is walled off by a force shield, it seems more likely to be a place of hiding than LKH does.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users