Ambrosia Software Web Board: Through the Looking Glass - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Through the Looking Glass OoC topic for Dark Mirror

#26 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Oops, looks like I forgot to put this in my OOC post, the italics are Radik's thoughts, which he shares with Wizard. It basically just looks to anyone in the party that he was tossing organs around for no reason, unless they carefully watched what he was doing.
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#27 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

I have a request for one of the reserved posts, although I'm not sure how feasible it is, or how it would be done. It would be nice to have a chart or something of which party members know each other/if they've been on quests together before or not. Jehezekel pointed out that most characters will know each other by reputation, but differing levels of familiarity between characters could create some interesting dynamics with trust and interactions.

#28 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

Like a diplomacy graph or a Facebook chart?
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#29 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

I don't know what you mean by either of those and I already said I didn't know how it would be done. tongue.gif But something like this might work, slot character names in where city names are, have some sort of ranking system (ie, these two characters have been on many quests/know each other well, these chars only know each other's names, these characters don't remotely trust each other.) But then it gets complex with people who know each other well and don't trust each other (Rapierian and everyone?)

If it's too complex or would take too much effort to create and maintain, we can bypass it, but it seems like it could be useful.

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 01 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

#30 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Most of the team knows and trusts one another I think. The notable exception is Rapierian, of course. I'd guess that not everybody knows Radik that well and may still be a little cautious around him. People probably trust Visitor's character because of his position as Enforcer, but I'm not sure how well everyone knows him on a personal level. Silverfish is a bit of a puzzle, but seems friendly enough and trustworthy. As long as this is becoming a list, I'll project my own interaction with these characters onto everyone else biggrin.gif, Yomu has kept some things from the group in the past (the Tree of Life, when he had his own objectives, iirc) but has shown that he can be trusted with important matters. Selax appears standoffish to most, but he is a nice elemental as elementals go. Think of Wizard as a doting old man who trusts everyone, unless there is a specific reason to be careful. Retsy is just a crazy little girl. Wizard doesn't know Katerei that well, and I think the same goes for most of the others traveling in the group. Hmm. . . I wonder if that's because Katerei has been in so few stories recently. . . tongue.gif That Avatara guy? Don't know him.

Oh and, Mack? I must have missed your post, I'm just not seeing it in the TS *poke* wink.gif

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 01 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

Wizard

#31 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

As I mentioned on IRC, you can break your question down into two parts - how well someone knows another person and how well they trust them (or their relationship with them), as Wizard mentioned.

The easy thing to map out would be all the stories in the current continuity (starting with Echoes of the Past) against all the characters in this story and mark off which stories each character has been in. That lets you know which adventures they had in common.

The relationship question varies with so many things its much more difficult. Each character has a different set of likes and dislikes (in theory) and different tolerances for certain personalities. So people like Retsy would trust the strange people with candy in the car, but others like Selax wouldn't trust anybody outside of their inner circle. It probably could be done, but would need input from pretty much every author.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#32 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

I think you're on the right track with limiting it to which stories each character has been in. It should be sufficient starting ground to do more in-depth research if needed (at least we'd know where to look) and reading the character info thread can probably also provide a reasonable idea of what one character will think of another. That's probably the best way to keep it simple and not require updating (well, at least until the next story.)

Mainly the barrier I've had to writing my next post is that I don't know who Katerei actually knows in the party, but I'm not inclined to go searching through every TS or Tavern she's ever been in just to find out who else was there. At least, I'm willing to do it once for the purposes of this chart, but not any more wink.gif

QUOTE (The Wizard @ Jun 1 2009, 07:40 PM)
Hmm. . . I wonder if that's because Katerei has been in so few stories recently. . . tongue.gif

Hey now, I've been writing with Katerei for seven and a half years now, you just didn't get here soon enough tongue.gif

This post has been edited by iKaterei: 02 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

#33 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:24 AM

I like the graph idea, though it seems it might become something bigger than expected.

Can I also suggest a map showing where the party currently is (and maybe has been)? There are some big maps in Slayer's Guide. Hey maybe someone could even pull up an image of the hand drawn map from Cythera? smile.gif

I think a sense of place and direction could help.

#34 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

For the record, Radik was trusting and helpful to the group during the Terminated TS, since he had nothing to lose, and found the party interesting. Now that's he is out of his element, he doesn't trust anyone. On a scale of 1 to 10, Wizard and Shan (short version of visitor's name) are at about a 3 or 4. Everyone else is at a 1.
old - new

iKaterei said:

#35 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

I also cannot seem to locate Illy's post. He must have invisibified it with his m@d-1337 moderator skillz!
I'll become even more undignified than this

#36 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Silver has little problem trusting anybody, as long as he has a couple escape routes handy. His tendency to hangout with mages in spite of their tendency to accidentally hurt him doesn't exactly give his friends reason to think that he's quite aware of what's good for him.

He shares an opposite with Jehezekel. His opposite is about 12ft tall, gaunt, wears thick leather armour, & prefers to fight with pole arms. However, he also has high Mana levels & can cast Mystic Arrow & Minor Embrightenment. When he's having fun he sometimes wears long black leather robes & carries a scythe. He's also fully able to develop other/opposite habits/abilities for plot purposes.
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#37 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Wizard's now unconscious. I think it's best if the next post picks up at around dawn, the end of Wizard's watch, with someone finding him bleeding. That way, the night will have been left open for whatever we want to have happen to move the plot forward. I don't think the group is supposed to catch anybody yet, but the events will continue to escalate.
Wizard

#38 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

Personally, I wouldn't like having to mark the location on the map. At least, I would find very restricting.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#39 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

But I'm not sure it would be good to have one person thinking we're down between the mountains & the swamp, & another thinking that we're up near the northern caves. It might work for awhile, but then when they try to bring in a location related plot point it could cause confusion at the least.

#40 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hasn't it worked fine for all the TSs?

Also, distances and such are exaggerated in TSs, and new places are created. A map could make this harder to do with any consistency.

(Note: this is just my own personal preference and opinion.)
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#41 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

Radik will be passed out till probably noon or mid-afternoon of that day. Reasoning for his poison is that: "Why not poison the light sleeper near the cave entrance to avoid interference with whatever happened to wizard?"

Selax brought this up in IRC, our party doesn't have a medic. Radik can bandage and treat exterior wounds, but anything beyond that gets really risky. Although I assume that most of the characters can bandage as well.

I may have misread this, but I think Kat might be able to heal? to some extent?

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

#42 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I meant to mention this in my previous post, but I was thinking a big general area circle might be better than an X.

We're somewhere near the mountains toward Kosha, right?

I believe Katerei has healing potions. Silver can mend torn/cut tissue for accelerated healing, but that's as far as his abilities go toward helping others. (he can also neutralize most poisons in himself.)

#43 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yomu has petrification potions. They work like a cast if a small amount is used, or suspended animation if the whole body is covered (like in Cyrus's case). Though, it might be dangerous to apply it to head injuries.

I don't want the map idea to be used as a set of rules, more of a reminder. I know the way it's been done in the past has worked, I'm just saying this could help open up new ideas in the writer's mind. Obviously it's up to the writer where who is, and the map could just be there for help.

At this point in the story it seems clear that the group should keep moving now that the hunter is gone, but with the state Radik and Wizard are in it seems unlikey. Perhaps an investigation while the others heal up is in order?

Oh and Dark Jet, it's Yomu not Yumo! tongue.gif

#44 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

Wizard doesn't use any healing spells, but he can mend bones and close most wounds with telekinesis. Generally, he only heals himself. I'll have him wake up in my next post, but I guess he'll be out of it for a short while now.
Wizard

#45 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (Two Jacks @ Jun 3 2009, 05:20 PM)
Oh and Dark Jet, it's Yomu not Yumo! tongue.gif

Fixed tongue.gif
old - new

iKaterei said:

#46 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:18 AM

Katerei knows some healing spells that can fix minor wounds, although she won't be bringing anyone back from the brink of death. She can occasionally pull off more complex spells, but only when her confidence is strong.

She also carries a pouch full of herbal pastes, tonics, etc. that she makes herself (courtesy of her knowledge of nature lore.)

#47 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

So what are those reserved posts for?

Edit: Heh, Katerei posted before I finished mine. Mainly re-introducing the Hermes Cloak (looks nothing like a cloak) qhich Yomu used in The Tree of Life quest.

The glint he saw I'm leaving open, could be anything.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 04 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

#48 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (iKaterei @ Jun 4 2009, 06:44 PM)
Katerei made a motion with her hand and a sheet of water appeared in the air in the shape of a square. She used this like a cloth to gently wash away the blood on Wizard's head, making subtle movements with her fingers to guide the liquid cloth.

Katerei's a water-bender! :o

QUOTE (The Wizard @ Jun 7 2009, 01:32 AM)
The was a flash of lightning and then a deafening roar of thunder. It started to rain. The cool bed of grass that he had been lying on turned to mud.

Wizzy, I think you've been living in the mid-west for too long.. :P
I'll become even more undignified than this

#49 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

If people have one-sentence descriptions they'd like to add on to their character name in the cast list (which is up now, by the way), please go ahead and post them. Something brief, doesn't have to explain everything, but something that makes them stand out from everybody else. The group is surprisingly small this time around so it might not seem like a big deal keeping who is who straight, but I wouldn't be surprised if the character list doubles in size by the end. Anything to help remember quickly "oh yeah, Yomu is the guy I was thinking of".

#50 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I suppose I can go through the Character Info topic and add links there for additional information, but I don't know if everyone has an entry and/or if it has been updated.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users