• You cannot reply to this topic

Pufer on suits

#1 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Pufer, on Jan 8 2009, 2:10 AM, said:

Up until the state of New York sued JAB a couple years back for misleading sales practices, it was literally impossible to ever pay full list for anything that JAB sold. Nowadays, they throw out these two and three for one promotions so they can at least occasionally sell something for what their ads claim that it's worth. The fact that you get three for that price is merely incidental.

That said, at their real sale prices, JAB suits are generally decent bargains, the problem is that it's hard to tell what the everyday super ultra mondo valued customer sale extravaganza price of something is compared to whatever it happens to be today unless you actually break down and track suit prices.

Signature Gold is probably worth $500, if not a little more (SigGold wouldn't be out of place as a lower-end line in a Brooks Brothers), a solid sale is when the price dips a fair bit under $400, a good sale is anything below $300 (happens maybe a couple times per year), but I've seen selected suit styles go as low as $197 upon occasion.

Signature is plausibly worth $350-400. It falls below $300 frequently enough that you don't want to pay any more than that ($266 and below is a good target, which makes this 3-for-1 sale a fairly decent sale if you actually needed three suits), and is a solid bargain under $200.

The Executive line is kinda' weird in that its quality can vary, but you don't want to be paying more than $200-250 for any of it under any circumstances.

I wouldn't touch anything lower than Executive unless you were merely looking for something "good enough" as Corsair said (and even Executive probably falls under that heading).

JAB's shirts, on the other hand, particularly the Travelers line when it's at least "half off," have a big following, even amongst the legit $1000 suit crowd. Also, their tie lines from the past couple years have really been quite good. So, if you need a shirt or a tie, or you can get a Signature or Signature Gold suit at a good sale price, JAB is a good place to shop. Just be sure to not fall for their latest gimmick sale.

Jones NY is one of the relabeled bulk suits out there. Some are decent, some are rubbish; none are great. $250 is a bit steep, especially as Alfani (same stuff, different label) can typically be found in the $150-200 range (Macy's right now for $200). Generic suits from the same shops can be found under $100 on eBay and elsewhere on the web.

I don't think that MW carries any actual Ralph Lauren, only Lauren. Lauren (by Ralph Lauren) has nothing at all to do with Ralph Lauren or his actual companies. Likely a decent suit, though (although I've been hearing rumors that the durability of their fabrics has slipped recently), and $250 is a decent deal on it (so long as you realize that price is a reflection of the Ralph Lauren association rather than the garment).

I generally shy away from MW for exactly this reason. Their "designer suits" usually consist of marked-up stuff with designer names applied to them. Jones New York is a noted design house for women's garments. They don't design men's suits, they license out their name to a Mexican company that stitches their name onto and resells (typically) Mexican and Korean generic garments at a great profit. Lauren at least used to be a Canadian reseller who would resell Chinese and other generic garments in the American market under a name licensed from Ralph Lauren. You won't typically find any suit that Ralph Lauren actually designed for less than around $900, and that's assuming a 50% cut in price there.

At the end of the day, JAB, to quote Coach Green, is who we thought they were - a self-promoting store that jacks up the perceived prestige and list prices of its own garments, while still basically selling a consistent, pretty decent bunch of clothing. Men's Warehouse sells stores full of identical generic suits from God only knows where that are differentiated in price only by whatever bullcrap name they've sewed into them.

-Pufer

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#2 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

Source?
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#3 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Is there such a thing as "just a suit" for middle class, high-school sophomores?

#4 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

View PostRickton, on Jan 11 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

Source?

Top-law-schools.com's forum for law students. SA is apparently stalking me.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#5 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostPufer, on Jan 11 2009, 09:29 PM, said:

Top-law-schools.com's forum for law students. SA is apparently stalking me.

-Pufer

Not as such; I'd been using TLS to hone my admissions strategy for some time before I noticed you were present. Though that does make me wonder how many other forums you're on, dispensing lengthy dissertations...
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#6 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Just here and there at this point, but you can likely come up with some other dissertations that I've written in the past elsewhere. You applying this cycle or next (or you been going to U Chicago all this year and been holding out on alluding to it)?

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#7 User is offline   Shlimazel 

• Enam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

To me, the concept of a lawyer forum sounds like it would be simultaneously both boring and intensely terrifying.

#8 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostShlimazel, on Jan 11 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

To me, the concept of a lawyer forum sounds like it would be simultaneously both boring and intensely terrifying.

This. I declare this topic complete.

#9 User is offline   Sniper Kitty 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostJacaByte, on Jan 11 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

This. I declare this topic complete.

Overruled. :P

This post has been edited by Sniper Kitty: 11 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Words are cheap; so I'm just giving mine away.

"Search for invisible traps pookie!" -ufr

#10 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I keep reading the title as "Pufer on stilts."
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#11 User is offline   GutlessWonder 

• Guilty Light
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

View PostRickton, on Jan 11 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

I keep reading the title as "Pufer on stilts."

I'm now craving this.
"This world is set to break me"
@-/--
{A broken life is not a broken soul}

#12 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

My refusal to use the stilts led in part to my no longer being welcome with the cub scouts.

-Pufer

#13 User is offline   The Journalist 

• earstwhile
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

That sounds like it's time for a PuferStory!
Hyperbole is the best thing ever!

#14 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

View PostPufer, on Jan 12 2009, 12:33 AM, said:

Just here and there at this point, but you can likely come up with some other dissertations that I've written in the past elsewhere. You applying this cycle or next (or you been going to U Chicago all this year and been holding out on alluding to it)?

-Pufer

I've applied for this cycle. No word back yet, but I have an LSN Account which I'll be updating as events unfurl.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#15 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

View PostThe Journalist, on Jan 12 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

That sounds like it's time for a PuferStory!

Not really one of the more interesting ones. I ended up finishing Webelos before anyone else in my troop really even got started, I refused to add more weight to my pinewood derby car to make it more competitive (I could've easily won - I nearly did even at like two-thirds weight - but I didn't want to go to state), and then I refused to walk around on a pair of stilts hastily invented out of a couple two-by-fours that the troop leader had floating around (they didn't look safe to me at all, even by stilt standards).

They decided that I wasn't a team player and suggested that I not come any more, which was okay with me. The only part of it that still bugs me is that I was never credited with finishing Webelos. I mean, they gave me the book and I did all the required s### - it takes like a week to do damn near all of the activity badges if you do all the stupid time charts and stuff simultaneously, which I did - and I was ready to lead a flag ceremony and tell my troop leader all about the history of the flag, how to treat shock, how I had a deep heart-to-heart with the local Catholic Priest, and all the other ridiculous bullcrap you're supposed to do.

Looking back on it, I can sorta' see their point. It's supposed to take three years or something to do everything I did in three months, but I still ######ing did it. Why give out the book if you don't want people to do the stuff contained therein?

View PostSundered Angel, on Jan 12 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

I've applied for this cycle. No word back yet, but I have an LSN Account which I'll be updating as events unfurl.

I certainly hope that you listed "Charming accent" as an additional bit of information on your resume, at least to UCLA.

-Pufer

#16 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:40 AM

I also stalk Pufer. I just haven't revealed myself to him yet.

Yes, like that.
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#17 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

I sure hope it happens soon.

-Pufer

#18 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Good things come to those who wait :P
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#19 User is offline   dude3 

• Ehhhhh...no?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Anything less than bespoke isn't fit for dogs.

EDIT: And I mean "fit" as in "appropriate to class", not "tailored".

This post has been edited by dude3: 21 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

"For a writing to be a writing it must continue to 'act' and to be readable even when what is called the author of the writing no longer answers for what he has written..."

Jacques Derrida, "Signature Event Context"

#20 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

I was about to say. I imagine that that when it comes to suits, only bespoke tailoring would fit a dog.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#21 User is offline   daowei 

• the official non-human.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

i know something has gone seriously wrong with my life when there are far too many beers on my table, it's 5:00 in the morning, and i have just read all the content in an ATT thread.
弥勒真弥勒,化身千百亿,时时示时人,时人自不识。
-布袋

#22 User is offline   moonunit4eva 

• Dommy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Actually.. that makes you my new hero :P
Whatever happens..happens.

#23 User is offline   Shlimazel 

• Enam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'm thinking that 'far too many beers on my table' is a euphemism.

#24 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Back on topic - I just picked up a new suit. Brooks Brothers, navy, Madison cut on the shoulders, but retailored to a Regent cut for the chest and waist. Not a bad price, either, considering how marked down their stock is right now.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#25 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

Pics or it doesn't exist.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users