Because you aren't David Tennant.
You are what you are but you don't wanna be

#52 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

I can be if I want to be! tongue.gif
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#53 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

Is that what she said? tongue.gif

#54 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

So, I ended up throwing/giving away a good number of shoes in the big move up here to Colorado (I only took 18 pairs of shoes, five pairs of slippers, and a couple pairs of sandals up here with me) and haven't really had the money to purchase any since last summer to replace those that have gone along the wayside.

Well, I still don't have any money to purchase any, but I decided that my first year of law school is over and done with and it was time to celebrate with some new shoes! (I'm not sure if this makes me a girl or just gay, but I'm not too worried about either.)

The take: two pairs of leather ankle boots (one black, one brown) and a new pair of comfy black shoes for my summer internship with the Department of Justice (had to skimp somewhere - normally I'd purchase some $200 Johnston & Murphys, but I figured I better go with the lightweight Florsheims on clearance for $70).

New shoes, a bottle of sotol (I <3 sotol), a bottle of good tequila, a case of blood orange italian soda to mix the tequila with, a bottle of a variety of moscato d'asti I've never had before, and a couple new paisley ties from Nordstrom Rack, and I'm a happy Pufer.

Congrats on choosing Columbia, SA! smile.gif

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#55 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Pufer @ May 16 2009, 08:33 AM)
five pairs of slippers,

blink.gif I don't care what sexuality you are,that's ridiculous!

This post has been edited by undead_shadow: 16 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

#56 User is offline   Jeremiah 

• Dissonant
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Pufer @ May 16 2009, 08:33 AM)
a bottle of good tequila

-Pufer

Do you eat the worm?
Evility is Reality.

"There's only two types of music; Good and Bad."

Radio Paradise

#57 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

I need more slippers. I always wanted a pair of novelty ones that are shaped like a Homer Simpson's face, or Chewbacca or something of the like. But with the size of my feet, they look rather scary...

"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

#58 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Jeremiah @ May 16 2009, 07:10 AM)
Do you eat the worm?

Tequila is very strictly overseen with strict regulations on what can and cannot be inside of one (sort of a champagne thing - it has to be from a certain region and can only be made with blue agave plants of a certain maturity, and has to meet some level of purity). Worms are not allowed.

You're thinking mezcal, and, yes, I do eat the worm, although I generally prefer sotol to mezcal, and sotol doesn't have worms.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#59 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Pufer @ May 16 2009, 03:33 AM)
So, I ended up throwing/giving away a good number of shoes in the big move up here to Colorado (I only took 18 pairs of shoes, five pairs of slippers, and a couple pairs of sandals up here with me) and haven't really had the money to purchase any since last summer to replace those that have gone along the wayside.

Well, I still don't have any money to purchase any, but I decided that my first year of law school is over and done with and it was time to celebrate with some new shoes! (I'm not sure if this makes me a girl or just gay, but I'm not too worried about either.)

The take: two pairs of leather ankle boots (one black, one brown) and a new pair of comfy black shoes for my summer internship with the Department of Justice (had to skimp somewhere - normally I'd purchase some $200 Johnston & Murphys, but I figured I better go with the lightweight Florsheims on clearance for $70).

New shoes, a bottle of sotol (I <3 sotol), a bottle of good tequila, a case of blood orange italian soda to mix the tequila with, a bottle of a variety of moscato d'asti I've never had before, and a couple new paisley ties from Nordstrom Rack, and I'm a happy Pufer.

Congrats on choosing Columbia, SA! smile.gif

-Pufer

Dude.
What the hell.
Paisley ties?
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#60 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (Rickton @ May 16 2009, 09:40 PM)
Paisley ties?

I'm not allowed to wear a suit to work this summer - slacks (I'm ignoring that and am just going to wear khakis; I don't have that many pairs of true dress slacks and like 90% of the guys in the office when I toured were rocking the Dockers anyway), plain dress shirt, and tie. Not much originality in there except in shoes, socks, belt, watch, and tie. I got the nice watch, socks, and belt situation under control, but various cuddly females don't tend to compliment you on your watch while you're walking down the street. They might compliment your sharp boots and/or your tie, however.

The only reason why me buying paisley ties are a little bit strange is that I already have a hundred or so of them. However, I noted a lack of particularly bold paisleys with a blue base in the ol' collection, so I rectified the situation.

-Pufer

#61 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

If you want attention, and not caring how, just die all your hair/beard bright purple. That'll get attention...
-- Tom Sims

#62 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

I dyed my hair purple on a sudden inspiration (got my then girlfriend to actually dye it).

I actually quite liked it because it was purple in normal light, pink in the sun, blue under harsh light and then ginger while it was growing out. Plus I dont get "roots" (huh.gif) much to one of my friends annoyance.

#63 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Rickton @ May 17 2009, 04:40 AM)
Dude.
What the hell.
Paisley ties?

Nothing like a paisley tie to break up the geometric impact of wearing a striped shirt with a pinstriped suit. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a psychedelic 60s-style paisley (though I'd warrant Pufer uses a few of those). I received a beautiful paisley tie for Christmas that was a subtle combination of deep blue, dark maroon, and royal blue highlights.

And thanks for the congrats, Pufer. I may have to borrow some of your tips for 1L year, as I'd rather prefer to avoid falling below median in this economic climate.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#64 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

Eh, I dunno. I just don't like paisley much at all.
I guess I'm kinda conservative with my ties.
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#65 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (Sundered Angel @ Jun 5 2009, 04:27 PM)
And thanks for the congrats, Pufer. I may have to borrow some of your tips for 1L year, as I'd rather prefer to avoid falling below median in this economic climate.

I've been telling local 1Ls six things:

1. Figure out what works for you. It may take a while (maybe a long while; there are plenty of 3Ls who still don't know what they're doing), but don't panic. Come in with an initial plan of attack that you base on what you've heard, read, and know about yourself. The first day of class is when you stop listening to what anyone/everyone else tells you to do. It's on you now, and its your plan. If it isn't working, scrap it and don't look back. If you think it's working, don't second guess yourself based on what others are talking/thinking about.

2. It's still just school. You've effectively been going to school - and excelling at it - your entire life. There's no reason to think that you'll have to reinvent the wheel in terms of studying/preparation/whatever to do well at law school just because it's the next level up.

3. Law school etiquette: If you have a question and you haven't spoken in at least a week, by all means, ask it. If this is your fourth question this class period, shut the ###### up. If it's that goddamn confusing, someone else will ask the question. If nobody else asks it, then you should assume that you're the only one confused (even though that's probably not true) and you should be going to office hours or going up after class. You don't want to be that ###### ("the gunner") who is always talking in class, regardless of why you're talking.

(The exception to #3 is small-section, discussion-style classes where participation counts; in big socratic classes, all asking a question usually gets you is your question lobbed back at you: "Why does 2-207 apply to a contract to build a bridge in this case?" --> "I don't know, why don't you tell me Mr. SA" --> "Um... <flip, flip, flip> Well... Because it's not a suspension or other variety of immovable bridge?" --> "Yes, go on." --> "Um... Because you can't really move a suspension bridge, the contract would be for the service of building the bridge, but... But, because this bridge could theoretically be moved, the bridge is a good not a service?" --> "Good, now assuming arguendo that it was actually an immovable bridge, how would the battle of the forms analysis turn out on these facts?" --> And now you're on the hook for applying the facts of today's case on 2-207 to the rules you learned (which is to say, never fully understood to begin with and immediately forgot about) last Friday on the common law battle of the forms, all because you were stupid enough to raise your hand and ask a reasonable question. The rule: Never, ever ask a question of a socratic prof in class, default to shutting up with a different type of prof, and talk only when you have something intelligent to say in a discussion class.).

4. Law school is full of hyper-intelligent but entirely ridiculous individuals who are, as a rule, drunk and ######ing one another whenever they aren't surfing facebook and/or arguing in the hallways instead of studying. Law school is a lot of fun! If you aren't having fun, you're working too hard (either that, or you should've gone to CU instead wink.gif )

5. Ignore everyone else's philosophies, especially if they're 2Ls. That said, here's my philosophy: You can only do as much as you're going to do. You're only going to be as prepared as you're going to be. Don't fight it. Don't stress about it. There's no way you're not going to graduate if you survive. There's no way you're not going to get a job making well above national median if you want to.

6. The scariest thing about law school: grades are a total crapshoot because everyone is equally matched intellectually and because of the curve. Take heart, however, in the fact that everyone basically does the same at the end because of the aforementioned curve and similar IQs. If you actually put some effort into studying, you won't know how well prepared you are going into the final, you won't know how well you did after you get out, and you won't have any idea of how to do better next time. Any advice anyone gives you is either bullcrap because they didn't do worth a s### or it's merely advice based on self-fulfilling prophesy. The reason why everyone does as well as they have is because they are who they are and they did what they did. There is no value in hearing about what they did because you cannot replicate the first part of that - the being who they are. Which brings me full circle back to number one, supra.

tl;dr version: Figure out what works for you, ###### everyone else. Remember that it's just school, and you understand school, so shut the ###### up and have fun. Ignore advice and understand that, at the end of the day, how you do is largely out of your hands.

-Pufer

#66 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

There was only one bit in that post I didn't understand fully: tl;dr?

#67 User is offline   Mackilroy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

tl;dr means too long; didn't read.
At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

#68 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

What???? The lazy internet people have an abreviation of lazyness???

This to me is a new low.

#69 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

I think you mean "a new love."

-Pufer

#70 User is offline   Shlimazel 

• Enam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

I think you mean "penguin pajamas".

#71 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

I think you mean "purple beard and hair with psychedelic tie and bright red pants."

#72 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

Actually I don't think he meant any of those.

#73 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:23 AM

That would be because he meant nothing in his comment. It was meaningless chatter, as clutters every topic in ATT by the end.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#74 User is offline   Jeremiah 

• Dissonant
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE (Sundered Angel @ Jun 11 2009, 07:23 AM)
It was meaningless chatter, as clutters every topic in ATT by the end.

That's what i'm here for...
Evility is Reality.

"There's only two types of music; Good and Bad."

Radio Paradise

#75 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

I need a new suit. Also see post about my predictions about Pufer's future life. It was somewhere...

Bullet points, if I remember right:
Disenfranchisement
Divorce
Teaching
Hot sex with student
Remarrying with said sexy student
Dying sad and alone (or something)

mrxak.com | twitter.com/mrxak
Super Moderator - EVDC | U | EV | D | R | DC | M
_/\__
In the light of morning the sun climbs upon the shoulder of the sky / I yearn for the tender darkness.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users