Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So read me or suffer Avatara's wrath!

#1 User is offline   Mackilroy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Yes. With a topic title like that you're sure to be drawn in. No?

Anyhow, I promised Selax I'd write up a topic detailing a few ideas I had while he and I were chatting on IRC a few nights ago. Nothing big, and of course those of you who read this can throw it out if you choose. They're just thoughts. :P

From what I've seen and read, you're suffering from either lack of interest or lack of participation. So I got to thinking, "what could solve that?"

One possibility is that you could have someone play the role of a 'Game Master' or such. They set up the situations, they lead the party (but aren't actively playing) into and out of trouble, they basically are responsible for the story. Input can come from individuals who are playing along, but by and large the GM leads everyone. Those playing choose how to react to each situation.

Selax mentioned every one of you should create new characters. Why not? All new investment, you get the opportunity to creative, and you're not stuck in a rut. Along with that, don't create overpowered heroes that can just swat trouble away with a wave of your hand/wand/sword/pick your weapon. Try limiting your powers, or have no powers at all, so you have to solve puzzles creatively.

I don't know if you've ever done this (probably have) but do all the players travel together, or do groups occasionally separate to do more than one task? And do you all have multiple characters, or just one? I'd limit it to just one to avoid burnout, if you don't already work that way.

Next step: ???

Then: profit! er, no. Haha.

That's all I've got for now, feel free to fall upon it like rabid dogs.
At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

#2 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

I'm game.

It would probably most difficult for the GM, creative wise.

My character Yomu's is relatively new and only power comes from the many items in his pouch, there aren't too many, but a poor inncident at the tavern could lock all of the items up (except for his hat which has a mind of its own).

#3 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

I don't want to get caught writing a long post, but I did have a few comments.

I'm not too sure I like the idea of a Game Master; I would like to encourage people to be more creative and involved in the story rather than not. Unfortunately, it is difficulty to always be creating new scenarios, which would make it especially hard for one person to decide the events of the story.

Regarding new characters, I am very happy with my current character. Wizard is easy and enjoyable for me to write; my main problem is ever finding the time to devote to posting. There had been plans to launch a new Cythera TS-timeline, one in which we have all new, weaker heroes that would start by facing little challenges and working their way up, but that idea never seemed to get off of the ground. I'm still in favor of doing that. Several of the ideas you mentioned are the exact same issues that Pippin3 was hoping to address with a new type of Cythera TS's.

To answer a couple of the questions: Yes, the group usually travels together. While in the past, some people have had many, many characters, at the moment I think just about everyone has one character each. I don't think this is a problem if a person with multiple characters can stay on top of them. That's part of the reason that my other character is taking a vacation; I was having a hard time writing him.
Wizard

#4 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

Talryn / Tej and that whole group of characters got way overpowered, so they're locked away and thats why I never finished that chronicle about his past and his reintroduction to Cythera.

I'm enjoying the "frailty" of Radik, with his strong suit being drunk and having ale on him at all times.

To the GM thing- May or May not work... The situations and puzzles could be more interesting this way and how the group solves them, but it seems (at least to me), that it'd take away from the "Team story" part of it.

And I think we travel as a one group mainly because the lack of activity would make two or more groups stall the TS, especially if one group relied on the actions of the other.

Next step: ???

Then: Ground breaking Stories!

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#5 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

The GM make be a completely different type of story like Dark said, not really a TS. If the participants came to a puzzle or challenge they could not pass, they could say their character decides to sit out in frustration, or if everyone is stumped then the group heads back to the tavern (or one by one could head back). I think there's alot of creative ways this could be done. Kind of like in the game where you do all types of things with the Cythera enviroment to see what happens (Fetch and crates anyone?).

Edit: I know there's already some serious(?) ideas for the next TS, but I had some I thought sounded fun and different from the last couple so I'll share them here to see if anyone's interested.

They both run along the same idea: "The Search for Deep Water" It was a puzzle in the game, now the TS world is also plagued by this mystory.

1) Fisherman across Cythera have been reporting little to no fish in their nets. Experts in the field believe the cause is the shrinking source of deep water, the only nesting ground for the local species of the fishy variety. With growing concern a wealthy nobleman sends out an add (with legs) to search out those brave enough to seek out and remedy the problem of, Un-deep water.

2) A wealthy nobleman's only dream has been to fish. He's been to experts and purchased the finest equipment and still one hurdle remains that he cannot pass, deep water. Driven to extreme measures, he has now constructed a powerful ship to brave the tretchurous waters surrounding Cythera's shores. Now all he needs is a crew strong enough and mad/dull enough to tag along as he goes out to search for deep water.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 01 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

#6 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

We already almost have a GMish situation. At this point Selax is the one that ties everything together & leads us to our next point. In times past it appears to have been Avatara. Before that, I don't know.

I think that Rapierian interferes with character interaction. He is constantly hurting other characters, & yet is impossible to harm, or even inconvenience.

It would probably help if we all spent more time hammering out the TS in the IRC channel. We did that once & the TS ended in about a week with 100 more posts than the one that just ended. 'course the one right after that stalled a bit, school having started up again for many people.

2) A wealthy nobleman's only dream has been to fish. He's been to experts and purchased the finest equipment and still one hurdle remains that he cannot pass, deep water. Driven to extreme measures, he has now constructed a powerful ship to brave the tretchurous waters surrounding Cythera's shores. Now all he needs is a crew strong enough and mad/dull enough to tag along as he goes out to search for deep water.

I find this idea to be highly appealing. ^_^
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#7 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

View PostTwo Jacks, on Dec 1 2008, 01:21 AM, said:

I forgot to comment on this idea earlier. I agree with Jehezekel that it sounds like a very good idea. While this particular plot may not be the best way to do it, I do like the idea of limiting the entire story or at least most of it to taking place on a boat. I think this would be a way of forcing creativity, and, hopefully, make the story interesting to read and write.
Wizard

#8 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

View PostJehezekel, on Dec 1 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

We already almost have a GMish situation. At this point Selax is the one that ties everything together & leads us to our next point. In times past it appears to have been Avatara. Before that, I don't know.

Well, that's not quite the same thing. Think of that more like a publisher putting on a book cover to wrap things up nicely*. And the "leading to the next point" can really be done by anyone, it just usually falls to the people that post all the time because they're the only ones posting and they want to get moving somewhere.

*I have no idea how the book publishing process works, so pretend this analogy made sense. Maybe I should have said "like a moderator moderating a discussion" which is closer to what we try to do in terms of starting/closing those topics (though during the duration, we try to be like everyone else, which differs from a GM-centric mechanism).
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#9 User is offline   Pippin 3 

• Pip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

I like the deep water idea. Sounds interesting. Shipboard life and all. Although not very cytheran... I think. Did they have boats?
The sands of time trickle slowly. slowly spirralling down and our lives are but a grain.

#10 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

Wanted to write this idea down before I forgot again, and I'm glad you all liked my earlier idea. :P

The Phynx Investigation and Zombification: Little word has come as of late from the lands of the West of Cythera, and now there is talk of terrible creatures controling the area. The mother city Cademia sends a search party to investigate, but of all the brave men who went only one returns. Limping back with only three limbs left, his skin crawls but he will not stop untill he makes it back. He steps through the gates and colapses infront of the startled gaurds, "Inside!" he gasps, then dies. "Mage, fetch a mage!" A guard cries to an onlooker, but before the passerby can run for help he stunned by the sight of the man with arm pulling him self off the ground, his skin somehow, moving. Like a whip a tentacle lashes out at the guard tearing into his arm. The terrifying man quickly starts to tug his prey to him, but is met with a second and final death as a heavy club grinds his head with a bone-chrunching sound. Now Cademia rest uneasy, in wait of what next might fall upon their doorstep. Word reaches Alaric and a mark is sent out for those brave enough to rid the darkness that has consumed Phynx before it spreds further.

Zombies! Woooo! ;)

The idea was that someone or something caused some polyps to mutate or evolve into parasite form. Infecting the waters of phynx they quickly take over their hosts, and grow. This being the basic idea, there's room for changes.

#11 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

View PostPippin 3, on Dec 13 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

I like the deep water idea. Sounds interesting. Shipboard life and all. Although not very cytheran... I think. Did they have boats?

No they didn't have boats, the waters were too dangerous. That's the appeal of it, some rich dude is so crazy over the idea of fishing that he's actually willing to risk everything to pull it off.

What? Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night... in... Scylla-infested waters...

#12 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

In the next couple of days or so, I hope to start a topic specifically about ideas for next TS, although someone else may feel free to do so in the interim. All of the ideas proposed so far sounding interesting.

This leads me to another thought. As long as TSs are being discussed, I might as well mention it here.

Changes to Canon Cythera: should they be done (some have already been)? If so, how often or how big should they be? If they are done, should a topic be started to keep track of them (for convenience and to help new TSers)?

The idea of a GM is interesting, but I think it might apply more to a specific kind of TS than to all TSs.

I agree with Wizard that Pippin's idea might address some of these difficulties.

Regarding characters:
All of my characters tend to be overpowered (as I'm sure others here can attest). Rapierian is actually my most toned-down, and I fear that he might be starting to get out of hand. (Indeed, I might start a topic about this.)

I'm sad to hear the negative comments about him and not sure what to do about him. Personally, I usually enjoy the character a great deal, although he's been in a rut lately. I think he's gotten a bit too cynical perhaps lately. However, he keeps wanting to veer into the sadistic (which would I hope be temporary and get him out of his rut). I suppose that I shall have to think of something (if anyone has any feedback on this, feel free to PM me).

Finally, I must not be doing a good job of being a tyrant...no one's afraid of my wrath :P .
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#13 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

We :P you Sely! ;)

B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users