Ambrosia Software Web Board: A TS Idea! - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A TS Idea! Something different!

Poll: TS Idea (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this a good idea, and should we do it?

1. Yes (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 User is offline   Pippin 3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

Selax sorry must have missed your question, We can create classes that would reasonable exist within cythera.. for example a mercenary
The sands of time trickle slowly. slowly spirralling down and our lives are but a grain.

#27 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

View PostPippin 3, on Dec 25 2007, 06:59 PM, said:

The idea was never to completely give up our old characters... but to run a few Ts's (2 or 3) in the past with new characters.
Or maybe just even 1. I have just been feeling of late that nothing can really stop the Ts group. we are a little to powerful. with skills that cover everything.
But no we would not be completely errasing the current timeline just more or less going backwards(A lot) To have a weaker group with little skills and has to really work together to get a goal complete.

I understand why you feel that way about our current characters, despite how well I like them :P

Well, I am much more open to this idea as something that takes place in the past without affecting our current timeline or affecting our current characters.
Wizard

#28 User is offline   SoItBegins 

• I Eat a Healthy Diet.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

I'm fine with it. In fact, I'm great with it.
When life gives you cannons, make cannonade.

#29 User is offline   Dark Jet 

• War Prince Son Goku
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:12 AM

Not that I could promise I'd jump in.. just in my opinion (if I might jump in..)

To make things simple you'd have to have a time line that does not correspond with the current one. Otherwise you'll run into possible issues of doing an action that would affect the future (or present time line)..

And Selax, would druids be considered reasonable? Not like Talryn (the way he's transformed), probably more like Tej, if you remember? Using the elements and such?

-Dark
old - new

iKaterei said:

i wish i could put ... in all caps

#30 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

It's an established fact in Cythera that mages use the power of Earth. You could build a character that used other elements (or all of them), but you would have to explain it in terms of Cythera, and it would almost certainly be a major character point. It's also likely that using air or fire would be out of the scope of the story, those having been rendered powerless before the arrival of humans in Cythera.

#31 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Dark Jet, I'm probably not the one to ask about druids. (On an unrelated note, I'm not of the opinion that air and fire are powerless: one is contained and the other is hiding.)

By the way, putting such TSs in a new continuity would remove the point of setting them in a different time period (which was at least party to keep continuity); I think setting them in a different time should work (I doubt most people will notice any inconsistencies.)
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#32 User is offline   TheMuseInYourHead 

• Satu
  • Pip

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

blah

I'm just going to re-state the fact that I'm all for this idea and agree pretty much wholeheartedly with pippin

on the other hand, I can see the other side of the "argument" even though I'm not on it

I really like the idea of keeping the TS as true as possible to the actual game...seeing as...well..it's based off the game
I was a little disappointed [for lack of better word -it wasn't really that bad :P -] at the fact that there were characters of different races than those mentioned in Cythera. Of course, you guys rock and I love your characters, I just felt it strayed from the game idea which is what I thought we were going for. Basically I just saw that the only thing that remained true to the game was the setting and the fact that Alaric is around [somewhere]

I'm trying my best to put this in the least offensive manner possible, because my intent is by no means to offend. You are all great and I'm extremely grateful to you all for accepting me and allowing me to participate in your TSs.

I know for certain that the main reason why I'm so easily accepting of this idea of Pippin's is because I'm new and haven't been RPing for a long long time with the same character I've taken so much time to work on and get everyone familiar with, as well as growing to know everyone else's characters

I can see how it could be hard to all of a sudden accept such a drastic change...so I'm really in the middle here

I think it's a great idea and I actually prefer the character confines to the freedom everyone has previously had with their characters

at the same time I don't want anyone to suffer having to drop their beloved characters they've grown so fond of....perhaps there could be a way to simply alter your characters rather than start from scratch?

Wizard's character for one, doesn't seem to need to change at all...not in my opinion at least...maybe the only issue is the character discussing past events

I don't know

*ramble mode off!*

you can tell I'm very lonely today ;)

I guess basically what I wanted to say in this post is that I'm on pippin's side but at the same time I understand where everyone else is coming from and I've got their backs too

so basically I'm useless B)

thank God this decision doesn't rely on me >.<

This post has been edited by TheMuseInYourHead: 02 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

#33 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

View PostSelax, on Jan 1 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

By the way, putting such TSs in a new continuity would remove the point of setting them in a different time period

Not true, time period also affects setting.

As for the druid thing, as Pallas said, you have to take care to not define your character as a druid (which I don't believe was a character class) but in terms of a class with abilities similar to your concept of a druid - otherwise you would be defeating the purpose of a "back to Cythera" type story.

As said before, nobody is saying lock your characters away forever. Its more as a "lets try this as a change of pace." If you really wanted to, you could run two stories in parallel, one in each little 'universe' (the current style and this style). That way, your active posters have something to do when one of the stories is waiting on Wizard to post.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#34 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 2 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

That way, your active posters have something to do when one of the stories is waiting on Wizard to post.

:P

I like the idea of these stories merely being set in the past and not in a separate continuity; something about that phrase "new continuity" makes me feel like I really am throwing away my old characters.
Wizard

#35 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

This sounds like an interesting mode to attempt, & indeed, part of the reason that I designed Jehezekel the way I did was so that he'd fit in a TS like this. I'd probably have to tone him back a little, but since he's still rather undeveloped (partly because he doesn't fit with the current TSs very well,) that shouldn't be too hard, especially with him reacting off of other Cytheran characters.

I think that 453's Retsy would also fit in with this sort of TS better.
As well as CCs Aster.
& there are probably more that I'm not immediately aware of.

Indeed, it might be possible to have a somewhat parallel TS, that follows the common-person & their adventures, while the 'heroes' are off saving the world. For instance, while our current set of heroes is off learning about the joys of cider, a small party of commoners on the Catamarcan Peninsula have banded together to rescue Glaucus's wine vats from nightly incursions by an anonymous thief, & when they find Aster having a wild party in the bandits' hideout with some of the other youth of the neighbourhood, what do they do to them? ^_~
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#36 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

Sorry, only way Aster would be having a wild party would be if he was completely drunk.
But hey, that could work. Maybe his friends pretended the wine was actually grape juice (well, it is sort of...).

Aster would really fit this. He doesn't exactly have much skill with weapons, and he's terminally shy, both major failings. It would be quite challenging to develop him a little.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#37 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 2 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

That way, your active posters have something to do when one of the stories is waiting on Wizard to post.

I tend to suspect that he'd manage to delay both TSs at the same time...

Selax

#38 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

I think the odds of his delays overlapping are less. Certainly its a reduced chance from the one-story scenario.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#39 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:42 AM

I am emotionally shattered by everyone's disbelief that I will post soon.

This post has been edited by The Wizard: 08 January 2008 - 01:44 AM

Wizard

#40 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well, unless you prove you're able to post soon, you may have to keep being emotionally shattered. Not that I can talk... Haven't posted for a very long time...
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#41 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

You just need to work out your priorities, Wizzy :P
I'll become even more undignified than this

#42 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:03 AM

I'll remember that. :P
Wizard

#43 User is offline   Pippin 3 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hey! I just realised that the topic is named... "Ann" ts idea.
Perhaps i should work on my typing skills

Anyway, The idea seems to have been liked, and it shall not be overriding the current Ts timeline.
After the current Ts has been finished I shall post a topic that will allow for some more discussion and finalisation of how we will run it.

Thanks people for all the input.
The sands of time trickle slowly. slowly spirralling down and our lives are but a grain.

#44 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

Actulay the topic was orignally, "An TS Idea". I think someone somehow changed it to "Ann" after I commented about it. :P

#45 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

View PostTwo Jacks, on Jan 11 2008, 03:33 AM, said:

Actulay the topic was orignally, "An TS Idea". I think someone somehow changed it to "Ann" after I commented about it. :P

Indeed, Avatara changed it sometime ago. (He also made an adjustment to the subtitle, which I did fix.) I didn't fix it for several reasons: one which was whether I should change it to "an" or "a" (the latter is my preference).

I'm curious: what time period would these TSs likely be set in? (It might be interesting to do a series of TSs set around the time that humans first came to Cythera, the rise of the Tyrant, the exile of the mages, etc. and then jump ahead.)

Selax

#46 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

I think for an idea like this, it'd probably be easiest to base it close to the actual game's time, since that's what most people are most familiar with.

I don't think there was an original subtitle, and "an" doesn't work with words starting with "t".

#47 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

View PostAvatara, on Jan 14 2008, 02:00 AM, said:

I don't think there was an original subtitle, and "an" doesn't work with words starting with "t".

Hence, my preference for "a."

Selax

#48 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

*Throws a life save to the topic*

Another TS I would like to do would be the other side, Ruffians. It would be interesting to create our own ruffian characters, be them unique or not, and we could even have a chronicle type thing where they would die at the end of every chapter (<-- not the best word I'm sure). Also ever ruffian TS could follow previous TSes to see what was going on on their side of the story.

Edit: Interesting my profile just broke 3k views.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 16 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

#49 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

By the way, the Tree of Life TS is over now, so feel free to forge ahead with this idea :P .

Selax

#50 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

I thought we were all waiting for Wizard to post. :P

(But seriously, are there ideas for the next story? Should we try running two in parallel?)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users