Ambrosia Software Web Board: Slayer's Guide to Cythera - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Slayer's Guide to Cythera Now posted on the webboard!

#1 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Disclaimer:

This guide was originally created by Slayer: I am merely posting his material here for convenience. I did not write or create any of it. There have been a few a changes, mainly structural (as is mentioned below). I have tried to point such out when possible.

Thanks to all (especially The Wizard) who aided in this process of transference. Most especially, I would like to thank Slayer for the creation of this guide.

Note from Selax: At the moment, there are a few structural differences from Slayer's Guide, most notably in the Skills section. Rather than divide each skill into a separate post, I have combined all skills taught by one person into a single post to simplify matters.

Welcome to Slayer's guide to Cythera!

Warning! If you don't want spoilers, you've come to the wrong place. I take no responsibility if your game of Cythera isn't as enjoyable as it should have been.

23/9/02 As part of the celebration of our hundredth chronicle, I've created a table of statistics on all our chronicles and all our chronicle authors. These are linked from the Chronicle of the Month page.

Site Index:

Walk-thrus for missions
How to get skills
Maps of places in Cythera
A guide to weapons
A guide to armor
A guide to the unique items of Cythera
A guide to alchemy
Some tricks to make the game easier
A guide to all the spells you can learn
Where all the books are located
A guide to the people of Cythera
A guide to the creatures of Cythera
Links to other Cythera related sites
A list of frequently asked questions about Cythera
Chronicle of the Month winners

The information on this Cythera site is © 1999-2001 Benjamin Douglass. Cythera is made by Ambrosia Software.

Please note that this site is no longer maintained by Benjamin Douglass.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#2 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

Cythera mission walk-thrus

Cure Alaric
Negotiate Wine Contract
Retrieve Books of Wisdom (x/10)
Rescue kidnapped Ariadne
Learn Magic at Magisterium
Cure Plague in Catamarca
Interrogate Bandit
Show Crystal to Lindus
Take Crystal to Timon
Free Maayti
Find Son of Sabinate
Honor Jinrai
Ask Halos about Comana
Take Dryas to Berossus
Timeflux book to Charax
Kelp to Charax
Ask Thuria about Iron Mine
Investigate Iron Mine
Seek out Prusa
Take flour to Apis
Find Harpy Egg for Pheres
Find Eioneus
Get Gator Skin to Alastor
Learn of Alaric's Mother
Put flowers on Andra's grave
Find Thersites' Ring
Take net to Stentor
Find source of Kesh
Find Opheltius' murder weapon
Interview Stentor

Return to main page

Selax

#3 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Are you sure you want to do this?

This tells how to beat the game!

No. I can figure it out on my own.

Yes. I'm completely stuck.

Selax

#4 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Cure Alaric

Spoiler

Back to Missions

Selax

#5 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

Negotiate Wine Contract

How to get

Complete Take flour to Apis.

How to solve

I don't think that it's possible to complete this mission. If it were, these are probably the steps you would need to take to get it close to completed. Complete Timeflux book to Charax. Complete Kelp to Charax. Complete Free Maayti. Complete Find Opheltius' murder weapon. Get the fourth crolna shard (see number 10 of Retrieve Books of Wisdom (x/10) for help with this). Merge the crolna shards into one piece. Go talk to Sabinate. He will give you a mushroom. Take it to Charax. That's where I get stuck.

Back to Missions

Selax

#6 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Retrieve Books of Wisdom (x/10)

How to get

Go to Pnyx. Ask Selinus the librarian about "password."

How to solve

There are ten books. Order does not matter. This is how to get each one:
1. Alaric has one in his quarters, behind the locked door.
2. Go to the dorm room in the southwest corner of the top floor of Pnyx. The book is in the desk.
3. Go to the castle in Catamarca. In the room north of the court, there is a bed. Search it.
4. Go to Cademia. In the judge's castle there are some locked doors. The book is behind one of them. If you don't feel like bashing the doors down, the keys are in the dresser in the room east of the main hall.
5. In the slums of Cademia, there is a room filled with mushrooms. In the room northwest of that is a secret door. Behind the secret door is a ladder down to an area with many levers and gates. Use the magic map to see what gates go up and down when the levers are flipped. The book is in the room protected by the golem.
6. Go to Kosha. Sleep until sunset, then one more hour. Go to Itanos the judge's house. He should be in his study. Ask him about "sapphire."
7. Go to Abydos, the ruined city. It's far south on the west coast of Cythera. In a certain room with a windowed door, there is a secret door. Behind the secret door is a ladder down. The book is guarded by a demon, so forget about getting this book if your character isn't very powerful.
8. Get a shovel. A shovel can either be bought from the ratcatcher's guild(see Locks, or any other skill that involves joining the guild) or taken from the iron mine. If you get your shovel from the mine, make sure you take one that is actually inside the mine. Taking one from the camp is stealing. Along the east coast, north of Catamarca, there is some sand and loose dirt. Use the shovel to dig on the loose dirt.
9. Get the mission Free Maayti. In the cave with all the seldane, one has the book. Just ask him about "sapphire."
10. Complete Seek out Prusa. She will give you the book on Day 1, Day 7, Day 13, etc. of game time. You can keep track of the game day using your journal. She should give you the Book after you talk to her several times on one of the aforementioned days.

After getting each book you can go talk to Selinus again. Tell him "password" to give him the books. After getting two books, he will tell you a password to a hall. The password only works on the doors after turning in the books. In case you forgot the passwords, they are:

4: Pakana
5: Torake
6: Tiripo
7: Karuke
8: Koruto

Back to Missions

Selax

#7 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Rescue kidnapped Ariadne

How to get

Go to Odemia, the walled in city along the east coast, just to the southeast of LandKing Hall. Talk to the guard at the gate.

How to solve

Find the farm house in the forest to the southwest of Odemia. There is a path leading to it. Get ready for a fight, because there a LOT of ruffians. Go to the farmhouse. If you are at a low level, your best bet would probably be to let Hector do all the fighting. Once all the ruffians are killed, open the trapdoor in the house either by attacking the door, or using the key the ruffian blocking the door's house was carrying. Below the house, you will find Ariadne. Talk to her. She will join you. Go back to Odemia. Talk to the guard. Walk through the gate.

Back to Missions

Selax

#8 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

Learn Magic at Magisterium

How to get

It should be assigned to you at the very beginning.

How to solve

Go to Pnyx, the pyramid looking city on the west coast. Once inside, find Lindus, the head mage. Tell him "Train." He should be in the judge's room with a gavel in front of him most of the time during the day.

Back to Missions

Selax

#9 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

Cure Plague in Catamarca

How to get

Go to Catamarca and talk to the judge.

How to solve

Go into the judge's castle in Catamarca. In the judge's room, there is a closet. In the closet there is a secret door. Open the secret door. You will find a trapdoor. Break the lock by any means you feel necessary and get ready for a fight. Go down the trapdoor. Either kill or run past the polyps. In the north end of the cave is a green crystal shard. Take it. Go talk to the judge.

Back to Missions

Selax

#10 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

Interrogate Bandit

How to get

Complete Rescue kidnapped Ariadne. Talk to Sacas, the judge of Odemia. Tell her "immune."

How to solve

There are two ways to get the door to the prison open. Either break the door down or get the key from Thersites, the captain of the guard. If Thersites happens to be in the room when you get the mission, you will get the key immediately, otherwise you must seek him out. He's usually wandering around town. He looks just like Hector. When you find him, ask him about "key." The prison is in the southeast corner of Odemia, but you must enter the wall in the southwest corner to get to it. When you get into the prison ask the prisoner about "people." Go back to Sacas. Answer yes to her question.

Back to Missions

Selax

#11 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Show Crystal to Lindus

How to get

Complete Cure Plague in Catamarca

How to solve

Talk to Lindus, headmaster of the magisterium. Tell him "crystal." Not too tough.

Back to Missions

Selax

#12 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Take Crystal to Timon

How to get

Complete Show Crystal to Lindus.

How to solve

Follow the river north of Pnyx to its source. Go into the ruins. Timon the Mage is nearby. Talk to him.

Note: you can have Timon join your party by telling him "Join."

Back to Missions

Selax

#13 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Free Maayti

How to get

Complete Take Crystal to Timon. Use one piece of the crystal (hereby referred to as the crolna) on the other. Go beneath LandKing Hall either through the cave inside the Hall, just north of the entrance, or by using the crolna on the standing stone just north of Cademia. Find the forcewalls. Use the crolna on the forcewalls. Enter the hole that the forcewall had been blocking. Go north to where you find two black disks. Take both of them. Put one disk on the southern altar on the east side. Put the other disk on the altar two rooms up from that. Take the disk from the southern altar. Put it on the northern altar on the west side. Talk to the blue guy(Sabinate) to the north through the double stone doors that just opened. Tell him "help."

How to solve

Complete Honor Jinrai. Ask the seldane in the iron mine about "Bahoudin." Go to LandKing Hall. Ask Magpie about "Bahoudin." Alaric must not be present. If all works out, Magpie will give you the other half-disk. Go to the ruins in the swamp. You can get there in two ways. One: walk. Two: use the teleporter in the cave that has Sabinate in it. It is the southern teleporter. You must have Timon in your party if you walk there. Once in the ruins use the crolna on the standing stone. Go in the door. Put the left half-disk on the left altar and the right half-disk on the right altar. Cross the newly formed bridge. Once downstairs go east through the stone door. Play with the buttons on the wall until the patterns on the north wall match. Repeat for each room with patterns. Once you get through all those rooms you find a button that opens a western door. Tell the buttons, in order "fire," "sound," "water," "shadow," and "heart." Break the force walls in the main room with the crolna. Explore the cave to the north until you reach the third crolna shard. Take it.

Back to Missions

Selax

#14 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Find Son of Sabinate

How to get

Complete Take Crystal to Timon. Use one piece of the crystal (hereby referred to as the crolna) on the other. Go beneath LandKing Hall either through the cave inside the Hall, just north of the entrance, or by using the crolna on the standing stone just north of Cademia. Find the forcewalls. Use the crolna on the forcewalls. Enter the hole that the forcewall had been blocking. Go north to where you find two black disks. Take both of them. Put one disk on the southern altar on the east side. Put the other disk on the altar two rooms up from that. Take the disk from the southern altar. Put it on the northern alter on the west side. Talk to the blue guy(Sabinate) to the north through the double stone doors that just opened. Tell him "help."

How to solve

Go south of Pnyx until you find a path. Follow the path to the iron mine. Enter the mine. Explore the mine until you find another seldane. Ask him his "name."

Back to Missions

Selax

#15 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

Honor Jinrai

How to get

Ask the son of Sabinate(see Find Son of Sabinate) about "honor."

How to solve

Learn Cooking. Make some bread. This can be accomplished by taking some of the dough from the LandKing Hall kitchen and using it on a stove. There are other ways to do that as well, none of which are difficult to figure out. Get either a smith's friend potion or gator boots(see Get Gator Skin to Alastor). It would probably be a good idea to take more than one smith's friend potion along if you don't get the boots. Go to the volcano at the extreme southwest of Cythera. Search the volcano for a pedestal by a statue. You WILL have to cross a lot of lava. On your magic map, crossable lava appears yellow whereas uncrossable lava is grey. Once you find the pedestal, put the bread you baked on the pedestal. No one else's bread will work. Jinrai will appear to you. Return to the seldane in the iron mine. Talk to him. Tell him you honored Jinrai.

Back to Missions

Selax

#16 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

Ask Halos about Comana

How to get

Complete Rescue kidnapped Ariadne. After removing the crystal shard from beneath the judges house in Catamarca(see Cure Plague in Catamarca), seek out Propontis, the elder of House Strymon. Ask him about Comana.

How to solve

Go to Cademia. Find a bed where you can sleep until morning. Then, sleep two more hours. Leave and re-enter Cademia (a bug makes people disappear if you stay in town too long). Go to the Two-Tailed Rat inn. There is a guy that looks like Hector in the inn. He is Halos. Talk to him. Tell him "Propontis." It seems odd to me that you don't actually have to ask him about Comana, but I guess that's the way things go.

Back to Missions

Selax

#17 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

Take Dryas to Berossus

How to get

See Find Opheltius' murder weapon.

How to solve

Go talk to Berossus, the judge of Cademia. Just like the mission title says.

Back to Missions

Selax

#18 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

Timeflux book to Charax

How to get

Go to Northshore Vineyard. It's inside the triangle formed by the paths leading among Odemia, Cademia, and Catamarca. Talk in depth to Glaucus, the vineyard owner. Go to Pnyx. Talk to Palaestra, the alchemy instructor about "wine," then "Charax." Train on alchemy if you have not already done so. Go north of Pnyx, past the river and into the forest until you find Charax's house. Talk to Charax. Ask him about "wine."

How to solve

Go to Kosha. Ask Itanos the judge about "Idomeneus." Go south to the cave along the shore. You will need some sort of ranged attack. Bow and arrows will work fine, as will the spell "mystic arrow." Enter the cave. Go to lower floor. Explore until part of the cave collapses. Go down through the new hole. Find and kill the hydra(this is where you need the ranged attack). Once you can get through, find the skeleton. Search the skeleton. Take the book you find back to Charax.

Back to Missions

Selax

#19 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

Kelp to Charax

How to get

Complete Timeflux book to Charax. I think you might also have to complete Find Opheltius' murder weapon, but I am not certain. Give Charax a little bit of time after giving him the Timeflux book. Return to him and talk to him.

How to solve

Go to Northshore Vineyard. Search the vats. You will find kelp (unless you screwed up like I did the first time around. I found the kelp before the mission and didn't keep it.) It has also come to my attention that there is kelp in the bed of the prisoner after you complete the mission Interrogate Bandit. Thanks to ChaoticKaren for that information. Take the kelp to Charax.

Back to Missions

Selax

#20 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

Ask Thuria about Iron Mine

How to get

Find Demodocus. The second time you talk to him, he should say strange things are afoot in the land. When he says that, ask him about "strange." Don't worry if you can't find Demodocus because this mission is not important.

How to solve

Go to House Attis in southeast Cademia. Thuria is in there. Ask her about "rumors." Agree to investigate.

Back to Missions

Selax

#21 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

Investigate Iron Mine

How to get

Complete Ask Thuria about Iron Mine.

How to solve

I don't remember how to finish the mission, but these things probably must be done. Go to the Two-Tailed Rat Inn in Cademia. Most of the time, a workman is there. Ask him about his "story." Go to the iron mine camp. Ask the foreman about the troubles they're having. Do something else. Go talk to Thuria.

Back to Missions

Selax

#22 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Seek out Prusa

How to get

Talk to Itanos, the judge in Kosha. Ask him about "Prusa."

How to solve

Go to the river west of Kosha. Follow the river north to its source. Prusa should be there. Talk to her.

Back to Missions

Selax

#23 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

Take flour to Apis

How to get

Talk to Apis, the inn-keeper at the Two-Tailed Rat in Cademia. It's in the southwest corner of the map.

How to solve

Go to the commons in Cademia. It's the big grassy area near the center of the map with a pool in it. Talk to the guy who is yelling about bread. He will give you flour. Take it back to Apis.

Back to Missions

Selax

#24 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

Find Harpy Egg for Pheres

How to get

Go to Pnyx. Talk to Pheres, the healing instructor.

How to solve

Go to Cademia. In a room just to the northwest of the Two-Tailed Rat inn, there is rope. Take it. Go to the west side of the mountains. A long way south of Pnyx, in seemingly the middle of nowhere, there is a hole in the ground. Go into it. Find a tile along the north edge of the abyss that is called "Rocky outcrop." Use the rope on it. Climb down the rope. Avoid the harpies. Find and take an egg. Get out of there by any means necessary. Go back to Pheres. Talk to him.

Alternatively, a harpy egg can be found through the mission Find Source of Kesh. This, of course, must also be taken to Pheres.

Back to Missions

Selax

#25 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

Find Eioneus

How to get

Complete Rescue kidnapped Ariadne. Talk to Milcom the smith in Odemia. Ask him his "name," then say "bye." He will tell you about Eioneus.

How to solve

Along the eastern edge of the mountains, by the river Styx, is a cave. Go into the cave. Once in the cave, go north. You will find a rope leading down into the abyss. Go down it. Eioneus is down there. Talk to him.

Back to Missions

Selax

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users