Ambrosia Software Web Board: To boldy go where no Cytheran has gone before. . . - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To boldy go where no Cytheran has gone before. . . Title based upon a topic by Bryce

#51 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

:P Sadly... I got the same error message. These files must've been created on an OSX computer, because I can't get them to work on my OS9 one. Do I have to change their format and try again?

#52 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

I'm not sure. I created the files on an OS X computer, but I tested unstuffing them (also in OS X), transferring them back into SheepShaver, and they worked for me.

Maybe you have an old version of stuffit expander?
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#53 User is offline   TheMuseInYourHead 

• Satu
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

I googled ResCompare and downloaded it

I googled Hexedit but there's a bunch of different versions

which one should I download?

These are my choices:

Hexprobe Hex Editor 3.51
A professional hex editor for manipulating binary files, disk drives, and system processes, particularly helpful in the areas of hex-byte editing, byte-pattern analysis, for example: IT security.

Cygnus Hex Editor 2.50
This is the fastest and easiest hex editor available anywhere! Tabbed MDI interface, multi-level undo & redo, extensive drag & drop support, blazing search/search & replace, file comparison, delete and insert characters like a word processor, more.

Hex Editor 3.12
Hex Editor Software - Binary and Hex file editing tool for Windows with Multi-Window, Multi-Document Interface, Text Viewer, Advanced Search and Replace features. Edit your Exe Code, Hex Dump, Avi, Mpeg, Jpeg and other files with HHD HexEditor.

EditPad Pro 6.3.2
EditPad Pro is a powerful and versatile text editor or word processor, designed to make text editing as convenient as possible. Write and edit all your text files such as source code, scripts, web sites, logs, letters, memos, reports, articles, etc.

TotalEdit 3.80
Make editing simple with TotalEdit the professional code editor for Windows. Edit PHP, C/C++, Java, HTML, ASP, JSP, CSS, Javascript and SQL. Features include code folding, code compare, hex editor, unicode support, word wrap, find in files, more..

ZTreeWin 1.61
A 32-bit console-mode file manager for Win95/98/ME/NT,2000,XP & Vista. The program is designed to look and function in a manner similar to the XTreeGold program, offering a wide range of disk & file management features in a familiar form.

010 Editor 2.1.3
010 Editor is a professional hex editor designed to edit any binary file, drive, or process on your machine. Use our unique Binary Templates technology to understand any binary format. Includes a whole range of powerful analysis and editing tools.

EF Commander 6.15
File manager, easy to use, full customized, tabbed interface, fast FTP client, multirenamer, internal packers, internal viewers, burn on CD/DVD, internal text and HEX editors, synchronize function, SFV, MD5 and SHA1, multilingual, and much more...

HexCmp 2.33
HexCmp is a program, which combines together the features of a binary file comparison application and a convenient hex editor. The program will help you to compare files in binary format, at the same time serving as a hex editor that will edit files.

I was just walking around Landking Hall and suddenly I saw that hallway from the white room on the other side of the wall in the secret passage. I had wondered how you guys found any of those places, but now I guess I understand the whole teleporting thing.
So I really want to try this now :P

#54 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:43 AM

I'm sorry. Looking back at my initial post, I didn't make the link to Bryce's tutorial prominent enough. Nor did I link to the other essential tools. So. . . for those of you wishing to try some hacking, I will post links to what tools Selax and I used.

Here is the link to Bryce's Guide That will explain pretty much everything you need to know about how to use the following tools to alter your position in the game.

Link to ResCompare download.

Link to HexEdit 2.00 download. This app will run anywhere from Mac Classic OS to OS 10.4. You can use it to alter the data in Sheepshaver, which is what we did, or in Mac OS X if you're running Cythera in Classic. * See below for a note about running it in OS X.

After getting those two tools and reading through Bryce's Guide, you should be able to play with hacking saved games. Just play with it until it works; it takes some Trial and Error. If you still have any questions at all that aren't answered by this post, please ask and I'll try to answer them.

I do want to note, if you choose to run HexEdit under Mac OS X, I have read that it will try to take over the mounting of Disk Images (.dmg files). I don't know if this is true or not, but if it does happen to you, don't worry about it. All you have to do is select a Disk Image > Get Info > Open with > DiskImage Mounter. Make sure to set Apple's DiskImage Mounter as the default application to open .dmg files. You can disregard this entirely if you don't have any problems. If you do and this doesn't answer it, again, please ask.
Wizard

#55 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

You might also want to keep a backup of the save file that you choose to work on; they can occasionally get corrupted.

Selax

#56 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hmm, I haven't done much with this lately, but I wanted to bump this before it disappears (so I don't have to worry about bumping it later). To be honest, I can't seem to get items to sticky, which greatly puzzles me.

Selax

#57 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:29 AM

I'm bumping this, too. I was feeling slightly alarmed over the lack of topics on the front page. . .
Wizard

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users