Ambrosia Software Web Board: Please Remain Calm! - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please Remain Calm! The hurricane only wants to be your friend!

#26 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

In the case of EV, it makes sense that users would gradually wander to EVO or EVN boards. I'm guessing that the EV community didn't 'die' so much as it moved on, probably still as a relatively unified group. However, there's no where for Cytherans to really move to; that's both an encouragement to stay (because there's no where to go) but a problem for those that don't (because there's nowhere to go with others.

#27 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

While we're all talking about "game forum death", can anyone rember the last game to have it's own forum section and die? If so what was the cause of death?

#28 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

I'm under the impression that the Ares, Coldstone, and Avara forums have all basically died out at this point (Ares Trash Talk is still alive and... well, but it's a completely different community). Mostly, the problem has been the inability of users to run the game anymore, as is the case with most classic games these days.

#29 User is offline   kickme 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

Darwinina and Uplink are also dead
Programming is the eternal struggle between coders, creating better, idiot-proof programs and the universe, creating better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning

LotGD Development Server

#30 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

I guess I was to vague. Has any forum "died" and had it's section taken off the ASW forums.

(Yay Ferazel wasn't on your list.) :P

#31 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

Avara. Dear Avara, I spent so many happy childhood hours with you... GETTING FRAGMENTED BY MY BROTHER!!!
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#32 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

Not to my knowledge. There are other Ambrosia games such as Apeiron, Bubble Trouble, Barrack, Chiral, etc. that don't have a community, but I don't believe they ever have. I don't anticipate that Ambrosia is likely to outright remove any old forums either, but they might well be relegated to a secondary level in the future (much as this board resides under the Cythera group, but the group would be a "dead forums" group). I think Cythera is safe from such a resolution, because it already is in a secondary level.

#33 User is offline   IT 000 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Most of the forums which are dead are dead because they don't need help a lot of help on them. I've played PoG and I loved it! But I've never been on the boards, why? Because I don't have a big problem to seek help.

Also maybe because the websites out there give away the entire game! Most of Cythera is about solving puzzles and quests. Whithout if you look on Slayer's guide to cythera for all the answers the game lasts less then ten minutes for the experienced player. So the sites which give away all the answers take bricks from the Cythera castle. Another factor is that most of us that have beat the game don't find the joy of doing it all over.
Experiments
--Viper Racing
Articles
--Asteroids and You

#34 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

I would venture to guess that much of the Cythera community is not so strongly affiliated with the game itself, actually. I started frequenting the forum prior to playing the game (though I since have), and I know there's at least one long-time member who's never played it :P

#35 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Avara makes me mad. So I don't play it. Damn crude 3D graphics and impossible missions!

I think that aside from no one being able to play classic games, everyone's completed them and most of them have creators who post on their forums so all their questions are asked and solved. No mysteries, hence nothing to talk about. New users don't come because they A. can't run them and B. notice the forum's dead.

Eh, who would that person be who's never played it?

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy: 28 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

#36 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

Not me. Also, I'm not exactly long-time. Oh well.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#37 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

I would hazard a guess that a large part of Cythera's problems are the lack of an editor and the lack of a sequel. There's a good community built around the current game, but there is nothing new to attract more people.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#38 User is offline   zamzx zik 

• Black man in the White house
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

View PostSelax, on Jul 30 2007, 08:09 PM, said:

I would hazard a guess that a large part of Cythera's problems are the lack of an editor and the lack of a sequel. There's a good community built around the current game, but there is nothing new to attract more people.

Exactly the same problem with Ferazel's fourms. The creator left Ambrosia without license to make another game. That really sucks for us, the consumers. Not to mention the lost $$$ for ambrosia.
Have I reached the stupid quota?

#39 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

I don't think Ambrosia would stand to gain anything in particular from having the license to make a new Cythera or Ferazel's Wand. They would still have to mobilize the talent to actually make the new game, and I don't anticipate sales of Cythera II or Ferazel's Wand 2 would be noticeably better than a wholly new game in either genre. Aside from which, it's generally agreed that Cythera II wouldn't really be as such if not under gandreas's jurisdiction.

#40 User is offline   zamzx zik 

• Black man in the White house
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:36 AM

Well, perhaps not at this point, Pallas.
But if they had the license 5 or 6 years ago, there's a good chance we could have had a sequel.
Have I reached the stupid quota?

#41 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

How many Ambrosia games have had a sequel? Apeiron was carbonized and slightly updated, EV had two sequels (keep in mind this was Ambrosia's best-selling game), Bubble Trouble got carbonized and more demo-limited, Mars Rising had a sequel, and that's it. I think it's highly unlikely either game would ever have a sequel, and especially with the way Glenn gave up Cythera and Spees gave up Ambrosia.

#42 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

View PostBuzzzzy, on Aug 6 2007, 01:44 PM, said:

How many Ambrosia games have had a sequel? Apeiron was carbonized and slightly updated, EV had two sequels (keep in mind this was Ambrosia's best-selling game), Bubble Trouble got carbonized and more demo-limited, Mars Rising had a sequel, and that's it. I think it's highly unlikely either game would ever have a sequel, and especially with the way Glenn gave up Cythera and Spees gave up Ambrosia.

Which sucks because both games have great potential. I feel like PoG was soposed to be like an updated Cythera with an editor (Lots of potential there). They're both the same in game play really, except one lets you have parties. Now I feel like Aquaria is an updated Ferazel's Wand with a much better (supported) editor. This is not the case since I doubt that Beenox knew about Cythera nor that BlitBlot knew about Ferazel's Wand.

#43 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

PoG has potential but quite frankly is horrible. It seems too much like one of those typical newer RPGs that I hate.

Yes, both games have great potential, but lots of games do and don't have any sequels.

And in the case of EV, the sequels kept getting worse, so it might not have even turned out well.

#44 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

I think part of the point for the EV series is that it doesn't matter particularly how good the stock scenario is; you can count on new scenarios being made (and the old ones being ported). And since Nova restricts you to the stock scenario without registering, having the main scenario be worse is more incentive to register :P

#45 User is offline   ~vIsitor~ 

• rEsident gUest
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Unfortunately, the EVN engine is so hard to effectively master that there is a notable drought of significant plug-ins. Arpia 2 and Polycon are really the only reasons to register Nova at the present time (well, that and not getting blasted by Hector).

Cythera, obviously, was originally intended to have similar plug-in architecture, but that function was obviously disabled sometime during development. And, unfortunately, the only thing that would really revive the franchise would be new content, or a sequel. Neither of these things seem very likely at the present time.
"The art of war is about legs, not arms." - General Maurice de Saxe

#46 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

View Post~vIsitor~, on Aug 7 2007, 06:13 PM, said:

Cythera, obviously, was originally intended to have similar plug-in architecture, but that function was obviously disabled sometime during development.

Hmm, that's quite interesting...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Magpie's Pumpkin Patch was created?

Selax

#47 User is offline   TealSabre 

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

I still have a lot to read in the Cythera forums (all that REALLY old stuff) but I think there would be an explosion in activity if they were to carbonize, even if they never made a sequel. If they had enough reason to carbonize Apeiron (a game I was never particularly fond of anyway) I think there would be plenty of people that would support a Cythera X.

BTW... who says Nova wasn't better than EVC? EVO was kinda... not as good, but I loved Nova...

#48 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

Welcome to the Cythera Web Board, TealSabre :P .

Much as I would like a Carbon Cythera, it doesn't seem very likely that will end up happening. It would apparently require an almost complete rewrite of the code (I believe that gandreas discussed something similar to this problem with Bryce recently), which would take a lot of time and effort.

Selax

#49 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

How do you use Pumpkin Patch anyway, I never got it to work for me (yes I have Magpie the program, I'm not that dumb).

Slightly off-topic, Nova is better or worse than EVC depending on what you liked about EV. While EVC, EVN, and EVO clash, EVO and EVN don't because they focus on specific aspects on EVC instead of the whole game. Personally I don't care much for Nova at all but I like EVO, though EVC beats both by far.

#50 User is offline   IT 000 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

What is Magpie's Pumpkin Patch anyway?
Experiments
--Viper Racing
Articles
--Asteroids and You

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +