Ambrosia Software Web Board: The Alraeican Tavern - part VI - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Alraeican Tavern - part VI

#126 User is offline   Big Joe 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:15 PM

When Nixus left the bar, a couple of the patrons within wanted to follow and convince her to come in out of the weather. But when they overheard her sad tune on her pipe, they felt that it would be best to leave her to her own thoughts. They regrouped at the fire and began idly chatting. During the conversation, Joe wound up telling the group his whole story about his titan ranch, and the attack, and the death of his fiance.
"And that's why I was so curious about Nixus's pendant, because that rotten scoundrel that killed my Charis and ruined my ranch wore a very similar pendant. Only his was dark and poisonous and treacherous, and hers was bright and wholesome."
"That's interesting," said Avatara. "I wonder what the man wanted with so many titans."
Just then, they heard the scuffle outside, and fearing Nixus was in trouble, ran to the door. They heard some shouted magic incantations, but they were in a tongue that none of them knew. This made them hesitate, because facing unknown magiks was nothing anyone was too keen on, even when rushing to help a new friend. But the noise was over as quickly as it began, and fearing the worst, they were inspired to again start running to the door. Joe was first to the door. In haste, he opened it and Nixus fell backwards right at his feet. "Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't know you were there. Let me help you up. So sorry about that." Nixus accepted his help, laughing at him just a little.
"It's not a problem, Joe. It's what happens when you lean against the main door to a place."

<edited for grammar>
------------------
I have run out of quotes for my signature. Please give me suggestions at bigjoe_512@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Big Joe (edited 04-19-2003).]
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

#127 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 19 April 2003 - 04:05 AM

Joe smiled warmly at Nixus, but there was slight worry in his expression. ‘Can I ask what was going on out here? There was a fair amount of noise coming from you and, I suppose someone who’s taken off. Are you alright?’
Nixus smiled also, but hers was quite obviously forced. ‘It was just some drunkard mumbling on about something in gibberish,’ she lied. ‘I am fine; it just gave me a little surprise. It is not all too easy to blend into a new environment…’ The young woman looked in the direction that Francis had disappeared into as she said this.
‘No,’ Joe said slowly, ‘it isn’t. Are you sure it was just some gibberish? Sounded something like “Tiarah pherwark”, or something of the sort, rather as though it was memorised or something.’
‘It was Tyar- I mean yeah, something gibberish like that,’ Nixus said, thinking to herself ‘I better not, just in case something happens, or someone catches on’.
Avatara eyed the young woman suspiciously. ‘I could have sworn I’ve heard-’
‘I said it was nothing,’ Nixus said in a rather demanding tone, a little stronger than she’d meant.

There was a short and awkward pause. Dusk managed to break the icy chill in the silence. ‘You’re all wet again; come inside before you catch a cold.’
‘I’m-’ Nixus began to protest, but Dusk cut her off.
‘No more of this, Nixus. It’s cold and dark out here; we don’t want for you any more trouble. If it is solitude you seek then we shall leave you be, but you must come inside. And by the fire, for that matter, not in that dark corner over there.’
‘Alright, I won’t argue any more.’

The small group walked back into the tavern and over to the fire; Nixus sat alone a little to the left of the fireplace, yet still in its glowing warmth, with her back against the hearth; the others sat in front of the fire, a little right to the centre. The small group by the fire talked softly in whispers, occasionally looking over in Nixus’ direction; Nixus wasn’t facing them and didn’t notice. Nor did she overhear their conversation.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ------ --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Many hours later, when the fire had burnt low again and the crowd in the tavern had begun to grow thin, Nixus rose from her position by the fire. Noticing that Avatar, Dusk, Joe, and Shi had parted and gone their ways, the young woman walked over in front of the hearth and leant against it, resting her head in her arms. She closed her eyes, listening to the soft crackling of the almost lifeless fire, feeling sleep beginning to take hold of her.

------------------
Uuma quena en'mani lle ume, ri'mani lle umaya. Uma ta ar'lava ta quena ten'irste'.
Do not talk about what you have done, or what you are going to do. Do it and let it speak for itself.

[This message has been edited by Nixus (edited 04-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Nixus (edited 04-20-2003).]

#128 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 01:38 PM

Door. Through- empty space. Drunkard- no, keep going. Empty tables; chairs. More drunkards. Sweeping across the Tavern with her mind, she frowned, concentrating hard.

Keep going, keep going. Something moving- cat? Why a cat? Blurry- must be just outside. There- by the fireplace. There she is, hysom pyr*. Found her. Her claws dug into the wood eagerly.

Must be her. Only one like that- like what? Not like human. Not elf, not Phaerie, not Rennai. Almost human. Magical- not magical. What -is- she?

Dheiva opened her eyes and blinked. "How curious," she murmured. Glancing around at the land spread out around her, she noted a considerable lack of anyone else. Good.

Pulling gently to release her claws from the peak of the roof, she turned and scampered lightly across the damp wood, then paused at the edge, muttering to herself. Did she really want to do this? "Well, Shi made friends with her. And she en't a human or an elf. She's something else. Something not like anyone else here..."

She made up her mind and leaped off the roof, landing noiselessly on all fours below. A rat squeaked from under a rubbish pile, but other than that, nothing stirred.

Even inside the Tavern, Dheiva could've left right again with no-one noticing. Talos was nowhere to be seen, the drunkards completely ignored her, and hysom pyr appeared to be asleep. But she'd decided that meeting this particular person would cause no harm, and thus was able to overcome her fears.

She walked quietly across the room and leaned against a table near the fire, or what was left of the fire. Good thing it had stopped raining, Dheiva thought, otherwise it'd be hard to get warm.

Pulling out a few blades of meadow grass from a pocket, Dheiva chewed on them absently and studied the girl. She looked quite normal; a cloak, dark hair, a longsword at her waist. One might even mistake her for a human, but Dheiva knew better. There was something peculiar about her.

A gust of wind howled outside, and the girl gave a start. She stood up, looked around, and spotted Dheiva nearby. "Oh, um, hello," she stammered. "I'm sorry- I didn't know you were there."

Dheiva nodded to the girl. "Hello. My name is Dheiva- I'm a friend of Shi. You have met her?"

The girl smiled. "Yes, I have. I'm Nixus. Pleased to meet you- I'm new around these parts."

"As am I, in relative terms," Dheiva murmured. She moved over to in front of the fire and cocked her head. "Do pardon my asking- as it may seem odd coming from me- but what race are you, pray tell?"

"Oh," Nixus said sadly, looking down. She quickly explained to Dheiva the story of her race. "And that's why I'm here," she finished. "What about you? I've never seen anyone like you before."

"I'm-" Dheiva hesitated, averting her eyes. "I'm a Rennai. The only one around here. Be glad you found the Tavern- further down the coast, the people can get nasty to other races."

Nixus nodded understandingly. "They have been very kind to me here."

"Do you plan on staying?"

"I don't know. Maybe. I guess I'll see how things turn out. Do you live near here?"

"Not really. I don't live in any one particular place- just the meadows. Shi was the one who brought me here originally." Dheiva idly ran a few claws through her hair. "How good she is at taking care of foreigners, it seems!"

"Very talkative and outgoing for one so small," Nixus laughed. She glanced out a window at the dark night and rubbed her eyes. "But if you don't mind, I think I'll go back to sleep. Any longer and I'll fall asleep in the middle of a sentence."

"Of course," Dheiva said courteously and drew back. "I shall be leaving too. Farewell."

She turned and padded swiftly across the room to the door. Once outside, she shivered and wrapped her arms about her middle. She'd said more than she normally did in a day! It'd been so long since she'd had a conversation with anyone, really, not including Shi.

It was comforting in a way to have someone else in the same situation, but Dheiva reminded herself to keep an eye on Nixus. Peculiar person. Magical, but not. Almost human, but not. New to Cythera, but seemingly comfortable there.

Dheiva slipped behind the Tavern and headed off in the direction of the meadows.

*hysom pyr- the new person

------------------
Insignificantly Unforgettable
"The real world can wait, I'm not done with the virtual one yet." - idiotSavant

#129 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:22 PM

Nixus jumped and turned to see Avatara standing behind her. "Your room is ready, the door on the far left," he said simply and quietly as he handed her a key. He tossed another log on the fire, made a final delivery of drinks to the scattered patrons left before locking up most of the tavern - leaving the door open on the inside so people could exit as needed - and the storeroom and retiring upstairs for the morning.

The upper floor was added in recent times, and it showed in the quality of the polished wood flooring and stone walls. The stairs ended in a broad perpendicular corridor, with two rooms to each side perfectly lined up, doors facing the wall interrupted by the staircase. The rooms were designed for the average patron, not fit for the nobility, but yet a luxury for the street beggar.

Second to the right was Talos' room, due to its easy access to the stairs and the lower level. It was slightly wider than the rest and a bit more fancifully designed. Yet, at the moment, it was occupied only by his posessions, as Talos was on one of his bi-monthly journeys around the island, collecting rare supplies used and sold on occasion. He wouldn't return for at least several days. The room to the left of that had nobody currently claiming it. That was not a surprise, this place had been built to be a tavern, not a full-fledged inn - there were plenty of those in Cademia for anyone looking for a serious place to stay. For the most part, these rooms were used for those tending the tavern, or those that had nowhere else to go.

The room on the far right was currently his, but he had few personal posessions, which was handy in case he needed to quickly leave. The door was sturdy, and could block out most unwanted noises. Theft was rare, most valuables in the tavern, what few there were worth stealing (usually in the form of exotic drinks) were safely hidden and securely locked away. Theft of personal items was a bit more commen, as was to be expected in a big city, but the armaments most patrons carried usually served as a deterrent, for both.

Avatara lay stretched out on his cot, staring at the ceiling. There was something about that newcomer, Nixus, that he hadn't been able to place just yet. She was rather shy, and undoubtedly had brought some kind of trouble with her, but they all had at one point or another. There was something else about her that she was keeping secret, for now. But whatever it was, it could wait another day.

------------------
"What we do not know, we cannot begin to understand."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#130 User is offline   Big Joe 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:35 PM

Joe finished off the bottle of liquor he had ordered earlier. He had originaly come into the bar primarily for drinking away his woes, but now that he had made some new friends and shared his story with them, his pain no longer seemed quite so unbearable. He sat off to the side of the fireplace, watching people slowly leave the tavern as night approached. He noticed that a strange person with clawed hands was chatting with Nixus, and that Avatara, who had been running the tavern in the owner's absence, came by, gave her a key to a room and bid her good night. I'd better get off to bed myself, he thought. He hadn't been able to house his titans in town without paying an exorbitant amount, so he lodged them under the bridge just outside of Cademia. There they had plenty of water and he could take them out at any time and let them graze. Feeling it best to be with the titans through the night, Joe made his way to the bridge. He set up his bedroll under it on a dry patch of ground next to a support. Joe then made the rounds, checking the ropes and bedding places for each of his seven titans. These beasts are all I have left of my old life. I would hate to get rid of them, but how can I keep them? he asked himself. He went to sleep with this thought running through his head.

------------------
I have run out of quotes for my signature. Please give me suggestions at bigjoe_512@yahoo.com
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

#131 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:42 AM

Nixus looked down at the small key in her hand. It glinted in the yellow light of the ,now once again, roaring fire. She stood for a moment thinking of how short and blunt Avatara had been when he spoke to her. ‘I wonder what is the matter…Perhaps he was just tired, or something of the sort…This is all because of Francis!’

She shook her head, trying to forget the awful pain that she had felt when the mage had surprised her. Looking around, Nixus saw Joe leave the tavern. She waved, but Joe didn’t see. On her way to the staircase, the young woman passed, and bid goodnight to the phaerie Shi. She looked once more around the room and noticed that Dusk had still not left. ‘Sleep well, Dusk,’ she said, then turned and walked up the staircase and over to the room Avatara had sent her to.

Once unlocked Nixus began to open her door, but slammed it shut almost immediately. A sweat broke out across her forehead and she began to pant softly. ‘Stop it, Nixus,’ she thought to herself. ‘You are being far too paranoid!’ Cautiously, she opened the door again, but only enough to look through into the room, half expecting to find something waiting for her. Upon seeing that the room was empty (save a few items left by the tavern for patrons who wished to stay), Nixus sighed thankfully and walked into the dark room.

There was a low burnt candlestick across the room, and a box of matches sitting beside it. Nixus walked across the room, keeping herself ready for anything that may lie waiting in a corner, and picked up the tiny box. Upon slipping it open, she found that there were no matches inside, save a few that were already burnt. She sighed again, and held her hand toward the candle. ‘Koron en’ naur,’ she whispered, but nothing happened. ‘No, I didn’t think so…Guess I’ll just get to sleep.’

She lay down upon the small bed against the wall and closed her eyes. So many thoughts haunted her, yet strangely it was not long before she was in deep sleep.

------------------
Uuma quena en'mani lle ume, ri'mani lle umaya. Uma ta ar'lava ta quena ten'irste'.
Do not talk about what you have done, or what you are going to do. Do it and let it speak for itself.

[This message has been edited by Nixus (edited 04-22-2003).]

#132 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:44 AM

Dusk watched the new comers feet retreating up the staircase. He sighed at himself. Nixus seemed to have problems of her own, something troubled her. He could hear it in her voice, the way she walked and was always glancing cautiously around. What was she seeing when she looked though? Thought Dusk. Some people look to see, others look to remember; Dusk still coulnd't quite figure out which Nixus was doing, but decided it would be best left for time to tell. The ex-soldier gathered his helmet and coat, checking his sword was still firmly under his arm- the hilt was clamy to the touch and made him shudder.
The night air was cold, biting refreshingly in Dusks chest, the well worn stone path that led parralel to the tavern was reassuringly firm and solid.
He started at a quick pace around the outskirts of Cademia, just to clear his head. Broken stone walls blocked one side of Dusks vision, a relic from the Tyrants Reign. Dusk had learnt much in his short time in Cythera, having spent most his time either clearing Roughs Point or in the great library of Cademia, a now established and well looked after afare, run by mages from the west coast. The walls soon crumbled to bare earth, an overgrown stone sticking lopsidedly out of the ground hinting where it had once stood. The city was quite at this time of night, the occasional clucking of roosting fowl doing more to add to the serenity then to take it away. The Rat Catchers had retired roughly an hour ago, their working shifts around midnight; after all, thought Dusk, everyone needed sleep.
Dusk rounded the bottom end of Cademia near the richer estates, glossy grapes hanging ripely from vineyards, catching the moonlight eerily. The lone man now paced silently along the dirty coast. The waves were distant sounding and soft, soothing Dusks shaken nerves. As good as he was at keeping face, Dusk was still easily worried; worried for this perfect world. And in the moonlight, in silence, the city did seem that. A perfect existance, wishing the bestof luck to the two newcomers, Joe and Nixus- Dusk rolled his coat around him and promptly fell asleep atop Roughs Point. Once again Dusk lived as a soldier did, on the ground at with his instincts. But this time no death confronted him, only unrest.

[ooc]ok, bit of a stupid post, but I wanted to sort of tie in the end of the night. The morning holds new things, right? Posted Image [bic]

------------------
Yesterday we bent our necks to emperors and kings. Today, we kneel only to truth. -Kahil Gibran
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

#133 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:24 AM

The sun exploded over the horizon, breaking the cold night’s hold upon the world, and sending shafts of yellow-gold light into the windows of the little tavern, setting the rooms aflame. Morning had come once again to Cythera, and was quickly reaching its arms across the land, leaving very few traces of the storm that had raged the night before.

Nixus wrinkled her nose and turned away from the window as the bright sunlight woke her. ‘It cannot already be that time once again,’ she groaned. ‘I feel as though I have only just fallen into sleep!’ Sitting up, she yawned deeply and stretched her arms out above herself. The light stung her eyes as she opened them and blinked several times, trying to adjust. Looking out across the land, Nixus noticed that morning in Cythera was quite different from that in her homeland. The sun gave the world warmth and the light it sent out was comforting to her, yet the mornings in Esper Salam were now always a combination of grey clouds and red light, and no comfort came from what the sun revealed; the pain and horrors of the war that had by now swept right throughout the land.

As she stood, Nixus realised that she still wore her clothes from the day before. They were not suited for sleeping in and had given her a rather uncomfortable night. Although dry once more, the garments were coated in mud from the storm in the night and not suitable for wearing. Nixus rummaged around in her few personal belongings for something else to wear. She thought of how odd she must look to the people of Cythera in her foreign clothes, but didn’t let it faze her.

After tying her long auburn hair back in a neat ponytail using a spare piece of cloth to hold the hair in place, she looked once again in the pockets of her cloak, finding a fair amount of nuts and berries. After downing the rations, Nixus jumped up from her bed and wandered over to the door, opening it as quietly as she could, and slipped out into the narrow hall. Walking silently, the young woman made her way down the old stairs and into the main room, half expecting everyone else to already be down there. But upon finding herself alone, she set herself down upon the windowsill and looked out at the empty street. Feeling that she was rather alone, and not just in the room, but in the world, she began to sing softly to herself. The wordless hymn filled her ears and seemed to shut her off from the outside world.

------------------

#134 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:36 AM

Dusk too, was woken by the morning light, his body clock kicking in for once at the right time, instead of the usual four hours too early. He paid little attention to his mud covered form, cold and sore from a night on the ground- these things Dusk was used to, and no longer bothered him. The pile of recently chopped firewoord prooved near impossible to light, stuttering only barely to warmth after at least twenty matches. Dusk locked the small cougher which he stored his measily bolongings in; now only one box of matches, the scroll King Alaric had given him, 240 obols (gold form) and several moldy flat breads. Dusk grinned at the last item and tossed it into the fire, hoping to make it at least slightly more hygenic before consumption.
He paced to the edge of Roughs Point, keeping cautiously away from the drop. Already Mother City was rising from it's slumber, shuffling voices near the market, Stentor in the fields below, tilling and raking endlessly, the chink and clank of hammer on anvil. The sky was dull grey all around, still ridding itself of sleep; promise of fine weather today.
A crackling reminded Dusk of his breakfast, fetching it out of the fire with a stick. He breathed deeply, stealing the delicious fragrance from the air and spreading it with some berries he had crushed mere moments ago.

Dusk heaved at the moss covered rock, attempting to shift it. He frowned. It wasn't particuarly big, no bigger then any of the others. Why was it so heavy?
He had been working for a good hour solid now, moving rocks up one end of the pedestal like land, but this particular rock simply refused to budge.
He shoved again, this time putting all his might into it yet still it woulnd not move an inch. "Stubborn thing." Dusk grumbled "It's was right in the middle!"
He sighed and sat heavily on the rock.
Out of no where a cold wind seemed to wip, playing in Dusks hair and chilling his hands. The fire stuttered and the sky darkened forebodingly. Alarmed, Dusk jumped off the rock to get a better look at the now eerily grey sky- but as soon as he moved the wind died down, the airial realm returning to normal. Odd. Dusk peeked a look at Stentor -he would notice something like that- but the tormented man seemed unaware, tilling tirelessly.
Dusk was puzzled, he sat testingly on the rock again. Sure enough a wind scowled coldly harsh. The world above was suddenly bleak and lifeless, the fire went out completly this time.
It's got something to do with the rock, pondered Dusk, but what?

Dusk knew of the magick that was prevelent in Cythera and many of it's joining worlds, but as far as he'd learnt it was always a practical use- lighting candles, unlocking doors, healing. Never had he seen such a disturbing display of power.
Dusk suddenly remembered Stentors tale, and the man who build the steps. Dusk shuddered shaking off the thought.
The rock seemed quite ordinary, a simple moss covered stone of Cythera. He scraped cautiously at the moss, not wanting to see again the rocks strange properties. Under the pleasent covering was revealed a sinister looking series of etchings, almost like writing. Dusk proceeded to clean the rock of all moss unvieling more and more of the strange carvings, sown into the flesh of the rock itself.
Dusk was puzzled, and thought he'd better find some one who could tell him about it. He soon was on his way to the Cademian Library.

[ooc] Ok, introducing the rock Posted Image. I wanted Stentors story to go somewhere, as I felt the whole "Roughs Point is cursed" idea sounded pretty neat. Not sure what the rock will do yet... Possibly the starting of a future TS though Posted Image. [bic]

------------------
Yesterday we bent our necks to emperors and kings. Today, we kneel only to truth. -Kahil Gibran
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

#135 User is offline   Pippin 3 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:13 AM

The grass was tasty compard to the sand in witch Pippin had been eating the last three days.
then she felt the pressens of a other person near by she turned but a littlle late, the clash of the strickes sword agasnsed the body armour of Pippin,pullrd her ow sword out and hit the attacker he fel to the ground, then Pippin relisd that it was Ramir_gall. "not you again why did you hit me?"
"well i thrught you were my target but your not" "who you hunting well im hunting a mage by the name of rendass" "hey im hunting him wanna join forces and help kill him" "ok".

------------------
Yummy! My moldy, crunchy, mouth-watering... *drools* frruuuiitt cakkeee...
The sands of time trickle slowly. slowly spirralling down and our lives are but a grain.

#136 User is offline   Big Joe 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:34 AM

[OOC] Hey, um, Pippin... Would your story be more successful in a separate Team Story rather than the Tavern? I think it will be interesting to see where your story goes, but as your character and Ramir_gall's character are not in or near the Tavern, you might want to start a Team Story instead. Just a thought. [url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum5/HTML/001403.html#"]Dusk had some very good things to say when I asked about Team Stories and how they related to the Tavern.[/url][/OOC]

Joe woke up just before dawn out of habit. He went into town, purchased several very long ropes, and tied each of his titans to a tree on the bank of the river, where they could reach grass and the water without needing to stretch or pull on the ropes. It was already 8 in the morning by the time he was done caring for the titans. Joe then realized he was hungry himself, and returned to the Tavern. Being a tavern, it wasn't the best place he could have gone for breakfast (the Denny's was closed for remodeling Posted Image) but the barkeep was able to whip up some eggs, sausage, and coffee, which was a better breakfast than Joe had eaten in a long time. He finished his breakfast, then stayed at his table and thought about yesterday's events. There were many friendly people who frequented this tavern, and he was glad he found this place. He knew that these people would be willing to help him stop the man who had killed his fiance, destroyed his ranch, and stolen his titan herd. But one thing made him wonder...who was this other newcomer, the girl Nixus? From what he had learned last night, she was a lone traveler from a war-torn land far away from Cythera. He also knew that though most of her race was gifted in magic, she lacked all but the most rudimentary magical skills. But what really puzzled Joe was the pendant that she wore. Her pendant was made of white and yellow gold, and enclosed a picture of her brother. It was a clover pattern, very beautiful, and exuded an aura of purity and hope. The thing that bothered Joe about the amulet was that he had seen one like it before -- worn by the man who destroyed him. His had been made of silver and a poison-green jade stone, and though it was almost exactly like Nixus's pendant in design, it gave out a sense of corruption and despair. Joe knew a little about magic, and had learned over time that there was always a good force that existed to combat an evil one, if human beings could just find it. Remembering this, Joe started thinking. What if she is the opposite "good" force to my "evil" attacker? That means she has an enemy here in Cythera. I wonder if she knows it? As long as she's in town, I'm going to keep an eye on her. I want to be around when the man who killed Charis makes his move. He then realized that Nixus was actually in the Tavern, quietly humming to herself over by the window. Should I warn her about this possible enemy? I don't even know for sure if they're connected, but it can't just be a coincidence, can it? I wonder what all that noise was last night while she was outside. She was hiding something, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who picked up on it.
Deciding it was best to at least talk to her, Joe approached her windowsill.
"Oh, Good morning Joe. I didn't notice you come in this morning," Nixus said.
"Well, I just got done with taking care of my titans, and I got hungry so I came in for some breakfast."
After idly chatting a few minutes, Joe got down to what he really wanted to ask her about. "You know, I've been meaning to ask you about what happened last night. I know I wasn't convinced that it was just a drunk wandering around out there, and I can imagine that not many of the others were convinced, either. What was going on out there? Or, if you feel you can't say, can you tell me why you can't say?"

[OOC]Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on your character, Nixus, but it seems that few others are actively participating in the bar right now, and I didn't want to interact with characters whose people aren't here[/OOC]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Big Joe (edited 04-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Big Joe (edited 04-28-2003).]

#137 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:15 AM

(ooc)lol, it's no problem, Joe. I understand what you mean Posted Image (bic)

Nixus sighed and bit her bottom lip. ‘You’d best not worry about last night; it is nothing that I can’t handle,’ she said slowly. ‘Besides, I shan’t be long here; I will not trouble you or your people for much longer. I should love to stay, but I cannot. Such is the life of a lost wanderer.’
‘Why must you leave? Do you have some home to be going to?’ Joe asked, wishing that Nixus would stop avoiding telling him anything.
‘I have no home,’ the young woman said flatly. ‘The closest thing I have to a home is a hammock in a tree; and in such a way I have chosen to live.’
‘But surely, if you have no one home, then it would not matter how long you stayed here with us? Is there someone waiting for you to return?’
‘I have no where to return to if anyone is waiting,’ Nixus said, turning back to the window and watching as the busy people hurried about beginning their days.
‘Then tell me why you can’t stay, please!’ Joe demanded.
Nixus slipped her feet from upon the windowsill and stood up, looking toward the door. ‘I will tell you when I am ready to speak out about it,’ she said softly. ‘But I am afraid that my company will have to come to an end; I have a few matters to attend to. Fare thee well.’
The young woman left the tavern, leaving Joe speechless and with nothing more than what he had started with.
‘Damn that girl!’ Joe cursed under his breath. ‘Just one straight answer is all I want. What could be so terrible that she cannot even speak of it?’

Keeping to the shadows, and making sure that her head was down so as to hopefully not draw too much attention to herself, Nixus walked briskly through the now crowded town. But no matter how much she tried to blend in, people all around her began to stare as she walked past. ‘Damn,’ she thought to herself. ‘I should have retrieved my cloak before coming out here. With this much attention Francis will be able to keep a very close eye on me. Damn that fiend and all of his kind!’

As she walked on through the whispering town, Nixus noticed a small flat area of land nearby, which was led to by a set of stairs. Looking up at what could be happening atop, she recognised someone up there to be Dusk, one of the people she’d met the night before in the tavern. Not meaning to be rude, but at the same time not wishing to engage in an incredible amount of conversation (Nixus had always been a mage of few words), she quickly looked down and tried not to let Dusk notice her. But considering the amount that she stood out from the rest of the town’s people, this was not easy. Dusk looked up from his work and spotted her easily.
‘Hey, is that you Nixus?’ he called down to her.
Nixus stopped and slowly tilted her head toward Dusk. ‘Nice to see you again, Dusk,’ she called back.
There was a short pause, and Nixus began to feel slightly uncomfortable.
‘So what do you think of our fair city so far?’ Dusk asked, smiling.
‘It’s…busy,’ Nixus said, smiling back, although not as forced as usual. ‘It’s a lot like many of the cities I’ve visited over my long travels.’ She seemed to trail off at the end.

(ooc)Sorry if none of that overly made sense, everyone. If there's something you want made a little clearer just ask Posted Image(bic)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nixus (edited 04-29-2003).]

#138 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:00 AM

Mavris sat cross legged, leaning forward. He prodded the rocks surface, then glanced over his shouldur, expecting to see something similar to what Dusk had explained. Dusk just shrugged, encouraging Mavris to poke about Roughs Point as much as he liked. Mavris shook his head once he had done so, saying confidently
"I can't place this rock, but I can't feel any magick Dusk, looks like you just sumbled upon some old art work perhaps."
"What about the clouds, and the wind and all that then?" Dusk questioned.
Mavris again, shook his head "I'm not sure what you saw, but whatever it is isn't around anymore."
Dusk nodded, dissapointed and also slightly relieved. He didn't want his only home now to be useless. Dusk thanked Mavris, who politly explained that he had to be on his way "Sorting and shelving, never ends.".
Mavris shook Dusks hand and bobbed his head slightly in the tradition West-Siders way. He looked once more over the island of jutting land, his vision fixed for a short moment on the runic carvings. The old mage shook his head of something, thanked Dusk again for bringing it to his attention and hopped carefully down the narrow staircase, shouting over his retreating shoulders "I'll do some research, who knows, maybe you have got something!" Dusk nodded and sat down on the ground defeatedly, pulling out his last packet of matches and scraping together the remains of his last fire.

Dusk noticed the new comers smallish form below, head titled slighly upwards "Hey, is that you Nixus?" he shouted downwards.
Nixus stopped in her tracks and rolled her head to one side, getting a bettr view of the man "Nice to see you again, Dusk," she called back.
Nixus stared up, pausng for a moment
"So what do you think of our fair city so far?" Dusk asked, trying as hard as he could to seem cheerful.
"It's... busy," Nixus said, grinning; Dusk noted the grn wasn't as forced as normal. "It's a lot like many of the cities I've visited over my long travels." Nixus seemed to drop off at the end, waving farewell and continuing her journey to where ever

Cademia no longer seemed quite as serene or peaceful, a disturbed and worried air hung like mist on a cold morning, blocking out truth and vision, blurring the world before all who cared to see. The fire was pitiful and insignifigant, it's feeble warmth lost completly before reaching Dusk, who glanced nervously. He listened carefully to the usually merry sounds of the city, hearing nothing. He stood up, peeking above the stubble of bushes atop Roughs Point, everyone was still there, tilling and bantering, fowl scraped at the dust and and chilren cried, tugging at their mothers arms, pointing excitedly at shops and brightly coloured necklaces. Yet, thought Dusk, the world seemed stragnely without any real sound, as if some one had come along and just turned down the volume of everything. The sea clashed ferocioulsy on the rocks a bit further of the coastline, but did not make a sound. Dusk strained his hearing further, enough to make out some noises. Dusk wished he hand't; for the only noise now was that of the wind, whistling and scraping hollowingly against the ex-soldiers form. Dusk shuddered convulsivly and decided then and there that he would sort these things out. he picked up purposefully his helmet, pulling his trench coat closer and drawing his sword. Dusk stamped out the fire and, breaking into a cold sweat, sat again upon the rock.

--------------
Stentor tugged at his hoe and looked up just in time to notice a lone figure atop Roughs Point. Stentor shielded his eyes from the sun and stared. The man he knew as Dusk flickered, his form loosing all colour then jumping back. Stentor shut his eyes and forced the memories out, the memories of Pelagon, the memories of the men who built the stairs. The man drew in breath sharply, the crisp air cleaning his mind.
--------------

For Dusk, Cythera had just become unbearably cold, everything one despairing shade of grey or another. The wind sped up, it's noise now blocking all thought from Dusks mind, penetrating and poisening. Dusk tried as hard as he could to keep his eyes open to the rush of wind, smelling of fresh blood and corpses, smoke and tears. With this wind, he knew, came the scent of death, repugnant, repulsive.
Through his eyes that now watered Dusk noticed a flicker near the steps of Roughs Point. He focused his vision now on the steps, turning his head out of the wind; but the wind followed, forcing him to continue a painfully cold squint. Another flicker followed alongside the first, rushing almost invisbly to the steps and back into the city. It was now Dusk noiced the trees and sea, both moving mind bogglingly fast, the tide swept in and out, trees jerking in the bitter wind. A third series of flashes near the steps, and the top step seemed to transform itself into a roughly hewn lump, from that into teh solid rock face; then the one below it. Dusk worked out the routine: one flicker, a series of them, then the step would fade into the rock face. The City too, changed and warped, bits of roofing being mended seeminlgy by themselves, blurry lines filling the streets and squares.
All the steps had dissapeared replaced now by a single rope and a dozen flashes.
The wind become harsher, it's noise now unbearbly loud. Dusk was pushed off the rock and tumbled-

Cythera snapped back. Colours returned instantly along with sounds and clear air. Dusk gasped for breath and lay stunned, facing the sky. He watched the clouds pass with the time f ages, so slowly, a feather down lining for the heavens. He looked at the steps of Roughs Point, they were all still intact and just as they had been before he had sat on the rock. Dusk patted the ground and gripped a tuft of grass reassuringly. Nothing was changed, he reminded himself, it was all back to normal. Dusk picked up his helmet from where it had landed in his fall off the rock. There was something strange at work here, something ominous and foreboding. Dusk felt a tinge of memories flow from his past life, of a great wind smelling like the rocks wind did... A wind smelling of death.
Dusk made his way to the tavern now, ordering a shot of whiskey when he arrived, settling in at the bar he gripped the shot glass with whitened knuckles. After his second glass the dirty looking man calmed down somewhat. Dusk noticed with interest that both Joe sat in one corner. He decided to leave him for the moment, as he did not feel much in the mood for talkng quite yet.

[ooc] ok, got a bit further with the rock this time. I think it's fairly evident what it's doing, but I'm not sure of it's purpose yet... Posted Image, I shall figure that one out in a post or two I suppose. BTW: Thanks Big Joe Posted Image, I'd hoped I was of at least a bit of help. [bic]

[edit] I seemed to have posted at exactly the same time as Nixus...but it's all fixed up now... I hope [/edit]

------------------

[This message has been edited by dusk (edited 04-29-2003).]

#139 User is offline   Pippin 3 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:17 AM

Shillawn move through the land looking from side to side and psyco chicken looked aswell.
Then he spotted the young elf Pippin and a man walking towards the small hut in the east.
"hello what you doing" said Pipppin "well im been higherd by a assasin to track and kill a man named randess"
they bothe sighed and said "we are too" join our party "ok".

------------------
Yummy! My moldy, crunchy, mouth-watering... *drools* frruuuiitt cakkeee...

[This message has been edited by Pippin 3 (edited 04-29-2003).]
The sands of time trickle slowly. slowly spirralling down and our lives are but a grain.

#140 User is offline   Fanatic72802 

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:13 PM

OOC: I'm going to start a new character, and retire my old character as a Non-Playable Character. Also, it's good to be back.
BIC:
Pyrus laid himself back on the roof of his trainer's cottage on the outskirts of Kosha and idly watched the clouds. A boy of no more than seventeen, he had been apprenticed to this swordsman for...how long was it? Five years? Six? Pyrus dared not attempt to count. He was clothed in his usual training clothes, slightly baggy pants colored tan, and a shirt with short sleeves that were torn in a few places along the edges.
Pyrus had neglected to cut his thick, dark brown hair in the last two years or so, and as a result, it hung down to the middle of his back in a crude ponytail. He started to daydream about what it would be like to go on a real adventure, like the ones his trainer had told him stories about.

"Ah, there you are, Pyrus," his trainer's voice spoke softly from behind him, "I thought you would be up here. Been neglecting our training, have we?" The trainer's voice became a bit more stern with those last words.
"Oh...I-I-I've been...ah...meditating!" Pyrus said in an attempt to excuse himself. However, from the look on his trainer's face, it didn't seem like he would be let off so easily.
"Come with me, I have something I wish to tell you," the trainer said.
Pyrus, amazed that he hadn't immediately recieved some tedious task in punishment, followed his master down from the roof.

"You daydream frequently, I've noticed," his triner said when they had entered the cottage. "What seemes to be troubling you?"
"Well, Master," said Pyrus, "All my life I had wanted to go on a real adventure, like the ones you told tales of to my family."
"Adventures..." his master spoke softly, not seeing anything in the hut, but seeming to see beyond wood and straw and earth and time, obviously recollecting some of his own adventures. It struck Pyrus that his master seemed old beyond his years. A man of almost thirty, his master had been on adventures not too long ago, but some of those adventures must have taken a toll on him mentally, for when his master looked at him, Pyrus saw not the still-a-bit-boyish look of a man, but the look of a wizened old man.
"Do you know that today was to be your final day of training?" asked the trainer.
"No, sir."
"Indeed, But I have one final test for you,” his master said. “I have long been aware of your dreams of becoming an adventurer, a hero. Therefore, I came up with a corresponding task.
“I have decided to send you to some people who know what a real adventure is like, and that go on them regularly.” Real adventure? Pyrus wondered what his master was talking about. “You are free for the rest of the day. Have a good night’s rest, and I will prepare for your journey. Meet me tomorrow at the foot of this hill that this house stands on.
“But…where am I to go?” Pyrus asked.
“Rest, for now. I shall tell you in the morning.”

Pyrus awoke to the same late-spring sun shining through his window. Putting on his training clothes, for they were the only clothes he had, he took for himself a bread roll from the pantry, and set out towards the foot of the hill. His master greeted him there.
“Are you ready?” asked his master.
“As I’ll ever be,” said Pyrus through a mouth half full of bread.
“Very well, then. You are to travel north, staying in sight of the shoreline, but not going near it. After a few days’ travel, you should see Cademia, a fairly largish city, in which you shall look for a tavern. Not just any tavern, but the Alraecian Tavern. There you will meet a few of my friends, Slayer, Avatara, and the bartender Talos. Treat them with respect.”
“But sir, am I to travel with just what I have on?”
“No, Pyrus, here is your pack. You will find provisions for four days, as well as fifty Obloi to buy more. Also included are a Traveller’s Cloak, and a short sword. Unless you have forgotten your past years of training, it will be used well.”
Pyrus, still amazed that his master would let him go this easily, could not wait to meet these people his master had mentioned, and go on adventures. Saying their goodbyes, Pyrus set out north, shouldering his pack, towards Cademia and the Alraecian Tavern.

------------------
It's been almost 3 years. Gosh, what an ignorant little prick I was back then. I don't know why I came back, perhaps because I was replaying Pillars of Garendall, or perhaps just to reminisce on old times, but...GameFanatic is back. A cookie to those who remember me.

#141 User is offline   Rogan 

• Lurker supreme
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:52 AM

[ooc]
Welcome back, Fanatic! And yes, I remember you Posted Image *grabs a cookie* I trust you remember the Undine Stronghold?
[bic]

Rogan lit his pipe before he continued walking. He stuffed the matchbook away and enjoyed the soothing taste of mixed herbs. "The finest blend I have ever smoked," he said with a smile, smoke oozing out of his mouth.
"Too bad you have to travel all the way to Caladon to get your hands on it," Lukyan responded. He was also enjoying his pipe.
The two men strolled along the path on their way to Cademia, like they had been doing for the past couple of days. The time was about noon, and the heat was overwhelming. Rogan wiped the sweat off his forehead. The two friends had been on a trip to Caladon for the past month, and longed to get back to their homes in Cademia.
"I don't understand why no one in Cademia cares to sell it" Rogan continued.
"We should really concider speaking to the local merchants on behalf of this wonderful herb" Lykuan answered.
"It's not one single herb," Rogan corrected him, "it's a mix of several types, only to be found on the Southern..."
Lukyan interrupted, "I know, I know... forgive me, mr. perfectionist!" he joked, "that must be the sixth time on this very trip that you have started going on about the herbs."

They walked until they reached an open plain, where they sat down. Lukyan opened his sack and found a bottle of fresh spring water and a couple of traveller's bread with butter and cheese. He handed one to Rogan.
"You're my saviour, Lukyan" he said while chewing on the bread. He swallowed and continued, "this Caladon cheese also tastes divine!"
"You must be hungry," Lukyan chuckled, "I've never seen anyone finish a traveller's bread that fast before."
Rogan was about to say something humorous about his food habits, but the sound of someone walking on the path behind them caught his attention.
They turned around and eyed the young boy. He couldn't be more than seventeen years of age, but his over-sized traveller's cloak made him appear much bigger than he really was. His long hair, even longer than Rogan's, also contributed to a more manly appearance. He appeared tired, as well as warm. When he noticed the two men, he greeted them. "Good day, fellow travellers" he said.
"A fine day it is," Rogan answered.
"But you're going to melt if you don't take off that large cloak of yours" Lukyan continued.
"Yes, you are right about that!" The boy took off his sack and placed it on the ground. He then followed Lukyan's advice and took the cloak off. The two men noticed the sword and sheath strapped to his belt; Seemed like the young boy was smart enough to equip himself before roaming around on his own.
"Are you headed to Cademia?" he asked.
"That's right," Rogan answered, "we've been in Caladon for some time." "We both live in Cademia" Lukyan added.
"I'm on my way to Cademia as well," the boy said, "I came all the way from Kosha."
"You must be a fast walker, kid," Lukyan answered, "having caught up with us."
Rogan got up, brushed some dirt from his cloak and pants and handed the bottle of water to the boy. "You appear thirsty."
"Thank you," the boy said, "my name is Pyrus, by the way."
Rogan and Lukyan also introduced themselves, and Rogan continued; "travelling alone over such distances is not recommendable. You are welcome to join with us, if you want to."

------------------
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room.

#142 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:18 AM

[ooc] Welcome back Rogan! I was missing your posts here! [bic]

Dusk decided to leave the rock alone for some time now, his past experiences still clouding his thoughts. The day was back to normal, the foul wind and dark, scurrying clouds gone.
Returning to Roughs Point, Dusk set about busily chopping more trees out of the way for his house. He often dreamt of his home, upon the miniture platau overlooking the greatest Cytherian City of all times. Cademia was like that, it was not built or planned or looked after, it was a creature in its own right, living and growing, every part of it a functioning gear in the clanky machine of civilisation.
Chopping wood was relaxing for Dusk, it gave him something to concentrate on, and he worked methodically and effeciently. By the time he had effectivly cleared another metre or so of bush, Dusk passed a glance upwards trying at the same time to ignore the runic rock. In the distance appearing as three tiny specks he could make out some travelers, heading upwards from Kosha. They would be here be nightfall, thought Dusk, and set again to work, forcing himself to shut the rock out of his mind.

------------------

#143 User is offline   Big Joe 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:34 PM

Joe stood dumbfounded at the door. Though it was still morning, Joe felt he needed a drink to calm himself. He sat at the bar and thought about his rattling conversation with Nixus. Why won't she talk about anything? It doesn't make any sense! Well, I did learn one thing from our conversation -- she does know she has an enemy here on Cythera. And that she feels that she is the only one who can combat this enemy. Well, she may be right, but that still doesn't mean she won't need helpful friends. He put down his drink and headed toward the door. Maybe I can catch her, or find someone else to talk to about this situation. Joe had no idea which direction she went and, this being his first real visit to any place larger than his ranch, he got lost fairly quickly.
Joe walked around for quite some time before walking past Rough's Point. Remembering that Dusk was beginning construction on a house at the top, Joe headed for the stairs to say hello. But as he got to the first step, a wizened little man stopped him. "Don't you know where you're going?! This hill is cursed. I just witnessed your friend be attacked by the ghosts of this place! Those who go up there are asking for their doom!"
Joe turned and faced the old doomsayer. "Look, little man, I don't know who you are or why you're here, but I don't believe in ghosts and you shouldn't either. I'll only be up there a minute to talk to my new friend, and then I will be right back down. And if Dusk is being attacked, I should be up there to help him out."
"You won't come down unaffected. The hill is doom!"
Joe turned and continued up the stairs, leaving Stentor rattling on about doom and ghosts at the bottom. He reached the crest of the hill, where he met Dusk. "Hi Dusk. Have you seen Nixus?"
"Yeah, she passed by here about an hour ago. Why do you ask?"
"Well, I was wanting to keep an eye on her and ask her some questions, but if it's been an hour, I won't catch up." Joe then proceded to tell Dusk about his conversation with Nixus and his worries of possible danger. "Oh, well. If she really wants to be alone, I'll let her. Anyway, how is the construction coming along?"
"Oh, fine. Right now, I'm still clearing trees and stones out of the way, but it should go more quickly after that."
"Well, this big stone over here looks like it needs to be moved. Let me help."
Joe walked over to the big rock in the middle and leaned against it with all of his weight. "No, wait Joe!" Dusk shouted, but Joe had already faded into the Shadows.
Joe experienced the same wind and cold and sense deprivation that Dusk had experienced earlier. He also noted the accelerated passage of time. But unlike Dusk, Joe was determined to move the rock, even while in the Shadows. He pushed and shoved, but the more he moved against it, the more the rock fought back. It got heavier and colder and the wind grew stronger until it finally forced Joe off. He faded back into the physical world. "What was that?" Joe asked. "I've never experienced anything like that before! Quite nerveracking."

------------------
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Inventor of the "Analytical Engine", the first computer.

[This message has been edited by Big Joe (edited 04-30-2003).]

#144 User is offline   Fanatic72802 

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:03 PM

OOC: Rogan, I most certainly do remember. How could I forget? =P That was my very first Team Story.
BIC:
Pyrus, in the meantime, had spent the night at the southern foot of the same hill with his companions. While he had wished to keep going, his new friends agreed that they should stop and make camp, for Pyrus' fatigue was plain on his face. It was decided, therefore, that they should make for the Alraecian Tavern in the morning.

When the first rays of light shone over the horizon, Pyrus immediately snapped awake. It seemed Rogan and Lukyan were already up, and working on breakfast.
"Here," Rogan said as he noticed Pyrus had awoken, and put a slice of sausage in his hands. "It isn't much, but it'll hold you over until we get to the Tavern."
Pyrus thanked Rogan, and began happily chewing on the sausage.

It soon came time to depart their camp. Pyrus shouldered his pack, and wondered for a second at the extra weight until he remembered stowing his cloak away in there. The three companions trudged toward the top of the rise. It was at this point, he had been told last night, that they could see Cademia.

Upon reaching the top, Pyrus immediately rushed to the north side. There, in plain view, was Cademia, in which he would find the Alraecian Tavern.
"Amazing...I never knew it was so big!" Pyrus exclaimed.
"Of course," said an unfamiliar voice, "It was the first city, the Mother City, so why shouldn't it be the biggest?"
Pyrus was startled out of his wits, for he had failed to notice the two other people standing on the rise, who had, at the time, been studying a strange looking boulder.

------------------
It's been almost 3 years. GameFanatic is back. A cookie to those who remember me.

[This message has been edited by Fanatic72802 (edited 05-01-2003).]

#145 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:14 AM

[ooc] Roughs Point was meant to be a small table of land surrounded by cliffs, save a small staircase carved into one side. People are treating it very much like a hill, I suppose this is becasue I havn't mentioned recently that it is surrounded by cliffs, so I guess it's my fault. [bic]

Dusks eyes roved over the sprawling city, taking it all in. Once you've lived in Cademia no other place can be home in quite the same way. Pyrus looked onto the same view, but with younger, untainted eyes, virgin to the world of men. He was awestruck, having lived in the small (but growing) town of Kosha his whole life, Cademia was somewhat daunting. Dusk grabbed Rogans hand wamrly and shook it, grinning. This was the first bit of good news he'd had in quite some time, the rock was hanging over him, a menacing threat to this crystal world. But now that Rogan was here, it lit the way. Rogan and Dusk got along like life long friends, and Dusk was nothing but admiration and praise for the man who had been his first true aquaintance and friend in Cythera.
"I take it your trip was good Rogan?"
Rogan nodded and held out his arm, saying in a regal tone "This, Dusk, is my friend Lukyan. Lukyan, this is Dusk, he's fairly newly arrived to Cythera, being of about two or three moons by now." Lukyan gave Dusks outstretched arm a single, firm shake and nodded. He then surveyed Roughs Point and gave a low whistle:
"Not too bad for a few months."
Dusk smiled, explaining that Rogan had been behind the land they now stood upon.
Joe introduced himself politetly the the travelers, giving a short, grim descirption of his life the past few years. Dusk told Rogan of Nixus aswell, but she was no where to be seen.
"What's wrong Dusk, you look rather shaken?" Rogan quireid.
Dusk nodded and indicated the strange rock, runic carvings etched in a ghostly thin hand all over it's muddy surface. Rogan knew his way around magick, but he didn't recognise the runes.
"Looks... sort of Cytherian Dusk, maybe an old dialect." Rogan sniffed and gazed with interest at the stone.
Dusk explained to Rogan what it was doing, which brought more then just interest to the faces gathered. A worried expression passed Lukyan's face, hovering for a moment on his bold features then sweeping away as he listened. Joe remained still, not seeming too drawn into the whole affair, he was oddly unaffected by the rock, perhaps he simply did not grasp what magick could do, thought Dusk, or perhaps he knew more...
Rogan cleared his throat and, trying to put on as calm a face as possible said "I think for your own safety Dusk you shouldn't go too near that rock. Magick can be deadly, it's best we speak with Lindus."
Dusk nodded, he had heard of Lindus through Mavris and the other mages at the library.
"Sounds like a sound idea to me... I'll pack tommorow."

------------------

#146 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:42 AM

A light breeze picked up and blew gently through the long auburn hair of a lone girl who wandered slowly through the streets of Cademia. Her head was tilted downward and she wasn’t watching closely where she was going, but after half an hours wanderings after returning from “out of town”, she eventually found her way back to Roughs Point, from where she could find her way back to the tavern.

When she was a few meters away, she picked up on the familiar voices of Dusk and Joe, but when she looked up they weren’t the only people she saw. Smiling weakly as she approached, Nixus greeted the two she knew. ‘Um, hello again, Joe, Dusk’ she said quietly, but not knowing what to say next, she just stood back and looked around at the newly found city.
Joe smiled. ‘Hello Nixus. Are you alright? You were gone quite a while.’
‘I’m fine.’ Nixus said shortly, still smiling.
Dusk introduced Nixus to his other three companions, Rogan, Lukyan and a young man who looked around Nixus’ age, Pyrus.
‘Nice to meet you all,’ Nixus said shyly, shaking hands with each of them. ‘You look as though you have just come home from a long travel.’ Although she was trying to strike up human conversation, Nixus thought that what she had said sounded rather rude, and started to turn a light shade of garnet.
Rogan smiled. ‘Yes, we’ve just returned from Caladon.’
‘And I have just journeyed here from Kosha,’ Pyrus said.
‘Are Caladon and Kosha very far from here?’ Nixus asked.
Rogan looked at the girl oddly. ‘That’s right, you’re not from around here, are you?’

‘No, I am not,’ Nixus answered.
‘From where do you hail, Nixus?’ Lukyan asked politely.
A serious look passed over Nixus’ face, and she could almost picture the land that she had once loved, as it was before the war. ‘I was born in the kingdom of Junninon, in the land Esper Salam. But, it is not anywhere near Cythera.’
‘So, you must have travelled a long way to arrive here?’ Pyrus asked.
Nixus stared blankly into the sky, trying to remember the faithful evening that she took her first steps from Esper Salam and into a neighbouring land. ‘When I was seven, I left Junninon and travelled all around Esper Salam,’ she said as the cold Winter days came slowly back to her. ‘I have travelled five years since I left Esper Salam, so I must have been thirteen when I began my long journey here, accompanied by the elf man Zail.’
‘You’re an elf then?’ Lukyan asked, immediately looking to Nixus’ ears (which were the same as any human’s ears).

It was now that Joe and Dusk first noticed a strange, silver earring hanging from Nixus’ left ear. The earring hung on a short golden cord; barely a centimetre or so long, and was shaped a little like a crescent moon laying on its back, with a small white circle where the moon concaved. There was no matching earring in her right ear.
‘Although I wish I could say otherwise,’ Nixus answered, ‘no I am not. There are no elves in Junninon, and now probably none at all in any remote corner of my land.’ Feeling not in the mood to speak of it, and thinking that, without meaning to, she may be making herself out to be more of a helpless neglect than she really was, Nixus went silent.

(ooc) whoa! Lol, how long has it been since I last posted? There are so many others since then! Posted Image

Oh and I don’t believe we’ve met, Rogan and Fanatic. I look forward to posting with you both Posted Image(bic)

------------------

#147 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:41 AM

[ooc] sorry for moving people along like this, I feel things are just going round in circles at the moment, and I want to get going to the Phynx anyways. [bic]

The gathering atop Roughs Point had twindled to two, as Rogan and Pyrus, Lukyan and Joe had all left for the tavern in search of some light refreshment and sleeping quarters for others.
Dusk stood for a moment looking at Nixus, she was pretty, by anyone's standards. Her long hair was flowing, but showed signs of wear, as is always present for those who travel. She was not overly tall, a good head below Dusk and she was not one of unproportional bust or hips, but a compact, well shaped figure.
Dusk became concious of his stare and shifted his gaze to the city over Nixus's shoulder, suddenly finding the scenary amazingly interesting. Nixus too, turned slightly red.
"Where are you going to go Dusk? I only caught the last few words..."

"Where are you going to go?" The man said. He was gaunt and more like a dried corpse, head hanging bloodily in the wind, then a person.
The man he was talking to indicated the end of the trench, the end of a corridor of suffering and pain; for when he stepped out, little was left. A moment of de-conception.
The corpse man looked into the despairing soldiers eyes for the last time. Grey eyes, eyes that had forgotten how to see. He saluted, taking the soldiers tags gently from around his nick. The man sniffed, and left his sword behind also. "No point wasting supplies."
There was a cold shot in the still, windless air. A thud. The man who wore the corporals eppilette fell silent now, and the skeletal man knew it was over.
He played with the swords hilt. Only officers carried them, and now he had one. He ran his fingers testingly over the plain, slightly warm metal. He pressed into the redish patch and smiled. The sword spoke clearly into his mind. It's cold, tempting whisper seductive and repulsive at the same time. "Dusk." it whispered. The dirty figure pondered this, holding more tightly now. "Dusk." is chanted again, saying it's name over and over again, urging the almost dead man to reply. "I am Dusk." it said, urging him to respond, he smiled again and a tear fell from his cut face, giving in, he whsipered back: "Dusk." springing the blade to a life time of death.

"Dusk?!" Nixus stoof next to him now, worried. "Dusk are you alright?"
Dusk suddenly realised he wasn't breathing, inhaling deeply. "I'm sorry. Where was I?"
"You were just standing there like there was something horrible happening, are you ok?"
Dusk nodded and smiled weakly at Nixus's concern "I'm fine, thank you."
Nixus nodded skecptically, Dusk didn't look fine...
"I'm going to the head mage, Lindus, to ask him about this rock. It was Rogans idea."
"Ah. When are you leaving?"
Dusk glanced at his meager possessions, deciding there was little or nothing to pack, "Now, I suppose." The ex-soldier unlocked his coffer , taking out the last two bits of moldy flat bread and the one remaining box of tinder and flint. He snapped the flat breads into quarters and shoved them quickly in his coat pocket, stowing the tinder box in an inner pocket so as to prevent them from reciving the cold Cytherian mornings.
Nixus watched on in silence, not quite sure what to say or do. Dusk locked the coffer again, hiding the fact he carried now a hundred obols.
The horizon was fading to a light pink colour, Dusk smiled at Nixus and began walking down the steps, prepared for his journey.
Nixus ran after him, stopping as he turned around.
"Can I come too?"

------------------

[This message has been edited by dusk (edited 05-03-2003).]

#148 User is offline   Rogan 

• Lurker supreme
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:41 PM

[ooc]
Thank you, Dusk! I missed posting here as well... I just haven't had enough time recently, but I will try to become more active! And Fanatic, the Undine stronghold was my very first team story as well... in fact, what really got me into these discussion boards! Greetings and welcome to Nixus as well, I'm looking forward posting with you =)
[bic]

"That girl sure was pretty" Rogan said, almost whispering, with a smile on his mouth, trying to remember her in every single detail. Her eyes had been the first thing he had noticed about her, before his own eyes had examined her pretty face. She also seemed rather shy, something Rogan found to be very cute.
"She must have been half your age, man!" Lukyan looked at his friend with a worried expression. Nothing he wasn't used to, though.
"I just said she was pretty, not that I was going to ask for her hand in marriage" Rogan blushed slightly and looked away, also trying to change the subject of conversation; "It's getting dark. We are almost there now."

They had just passed through the more sleazier parts of Cademia. The old pawn shop they just walked by kind of marked the end of the "shanty town", and they were headed into the middle-class corner of town.
The conversation was of the light type as they walked, and no one felt any kind of stress to get to the tavern - with the possible exception of Pyrus who was very eager to meet the people his master had told about. He hadn't really found the right time to ask his newfound friends about the affair, and the idle banter among them prevented him again.
"...and then a dwarf walks up to her with a suitcase..." they laughed as they strolled down the street. Joe didn't say much - mainly because he was thinking of the problem he had concerning the titans, but also because he had just met the three men he was accompanied by and didn't know them well. Sure, he laughed along and wasn't completely silent, he looked forward to get to know the three men better. They would probably get to know each other better over a mug of ale in the tavern.

"So, Pyrus..." Rogan started, looking at the young man.
"Yes?" Pyrus' face lit up, maybe the time had come to ask some questions?
"Pray tell, what is it you're looking for in the Alraeican tavern?"
Pyrus smiled, realising that the time had come. "My master told me to venture to the tavern and meet up with some old friends of his. Avatara, Slayer and the bartender Talos." he paused for a second before he continued, "perhaps you know them?"

"Know them?" Rogan chuckled and smiled. For a split second, his thoughts wandered into old times, reminiscing.
"I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my first adventure accompanied by others. I ventured to an Undine stronghold together with Slayer, Avatara, Kestrel, Eldargon and a youngster named Fanatic. Slayer even saved my life once. These men are of my best friends here in Cademia, I often sit in the tavern, burning the midnight oil together with those fellas."
Rogan proceeded to tell Pyrus about their quest to the Undine stronghold, with some levels of exaggeration - a vice compulsory to any true adventurer. Pyrus, along with the others, listened for some time.

"That's an interesting story, Rogan," Pyrus answered, "did you say the name Fanatic?"

------------------
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room.

#149 User is offline   Nixus 

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:22 AM

Dusk looked in slight wonder and surprise into Nixus’ hopeful face at her request. It took a moment for him to come around and speak. ‘Um, but you’ve only just arrived in Cademia, and you already wish to leave? Why?’
Nixus looked past Dusk at the outskirts of Cademia where she’d entered the fair city only the night before. ‘I am never in one place all too long,’ she explained. ‘Such is the way I must live. Also, although I do not know much about Cythera and its ways, I do know that it is never safe to travel alone.’
The young woman felt a knife being driven into her stomach as she said this, knowing that her company would bring more trouble to the journey, rather than to help fend it off.
Dusk could see the pain in Nixus’ eyes, but chose to dismiss it, knowing that all Nixus would say if he asked was “It’s nothing, I’m fine”.
‘I suppose it would be nice to have someone to talk with along the way,’ Dusk said.
A sudden happiness flushed over Nixus’ face. She rushed forward and flung her arms around Dusk, but jumped back after a moment. ‘Um, sorry, I just-’ Nixus stammered, feeling herself turning slightly crimson. ‘I’ll go and get my things from the tavern,’ she said and looked away from Dusk, who had a rather surprised smile upon his face.
‘Well we best hurry, the night will be upon us soon,’ he said, turning and beginning to walk down the stairs again.
Nixus paused for a moment, then followed Dusk to the tavern.

Upon arriving in the tavern, Dusk noticed the group of men who’d earlier been at roughs point. Nixus hurried up the staircase and to her room while Dusk made his way over and spoke shortly with them.
Nixus had just closed the door to her room and was about to head back downstairs when she ran into Avatara. ‘Oh, I’m so sorry,’ she said, regaining her balance.
Avatara looked at the cloak, realising that that was all Nixus had brought in with her the night before. ‘You are leaving?’ he asked, not sure whether to be surprised or not.
‘Um, yes I am,’ Nixus said nervously. ‘Dusk and I are going to, I think he called it Phynx.’ She rummaged around in one of the inner pockets of her cloak and drew out a few golden coins. They were foreign to Cythera and completely worthless. ‘I know that it isn’t your money, but you can melt it down and sell it.’
Avatara waved his hand. ‘Never mind, it’s too much trouble for one night here.’
‘No, take it please.’ Nixus forced the coins into Avatara’s hand and hurried down the staircase back to where Dusk waited.

(ooc)Okay, so it's not exactly as long as I'd have liked it to be. Sorry Dusk Sweety! But I had to hurry and get off. @-*-- Hope you don't mind.(bic)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nixus (edited 05-06-2003).]

#150 User is offline   Fanatic72802 

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:00 AM

"But..." Pyrus said, "Fanatic was my trainer! He taught me all I know about swordfighting."
"Then he must not have been teaching very long." Rogan said. "I remember adventuring with him not four years ago..."
"Indeed, he told me once that I was his first student," Pyrus said, "I was thirteen when he took me as an apprentice of the sword, and have not seen any person except him and the occasional peddler...We lived far on the outskirts of Kosha, on a high hill to the north, from which I could see the town. It wasn't near as big as this one, though..."
"Then I guess that such a large city could be quite intimidating..."
"I'm not scared!" Pyrus exclaimed indignantly. "At least...not much," he added, remembering his master's teachings of honesty.

Pyrus, Rogan and Lukyan talked long into the night of his trainer, Fanatic. Rogan got a room reserved for Pyrus, ("Wow, my very own room!") who hadn't a clue how to do so. As then talked, the torches grew dim, having exhausted most of their fuel for the night, and Pyrus started dozing off. He finally made his way back to his room. Before blowing out his candle, he resolved to do something about his shabby appearance the next day. His hair was a mess, and now that he thought about it, he looked ridiculous in that oversized cape and training clothes. He blew the candle out, and fell asleep...

Pyrus was standing in a wide, wide field, stars studding the night sky above him.
"Pyrus..." His master's voice echoed through the corridors of his memory. "Pyrus, the first task I give you as your trainer will not be easy. In fact, it may be easy and simple at times, but on occasion, it will be the most difficult task I ever give you. I will not tell you what this task is, nor shall it ever end until the day you die, and ever shall you struggle to keep it from ending, if you are wise." These were the words his master had spoken to him on the first day of his apprenticeship. He was still baffled as to what his master had meant.
Just as his master's voice faded away, he became aware of a nameless black fear, slowly approaching from all directions, yet still far off on the horizon. He was aware of trying to accomplish something before the blackness he feared closed in on him. Days and years passed, and he wandered far and wide, still trying to accomplish that something. Sometimes he traveled with close friends, other times he traveled alone, but the black fear still crept closer...

Just as it drew near, Pyrus awoke with a start, sitting up in his bed. He had overslept, he noted, as his saw the rays of a late morning sun shining through his window. He gathered his sack, and trudged downstairs to where, hopefully, they were still serving breakfast, and also hopefully, he would finally meet these people he had been sent to find, Slayer, Avatara, and Talos.

------------------
--Fanatic72802 (GameFanatic)
Will the real God please stand up?

[This message has been edited by Fanatic72802 (edited 05-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Fanatic72802 (edited 05-07-2003).]

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users