Ambrosia Software Web Board: Indefinite Hiatus from Chrons - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Indefinite Hiatus from Chrons

#1 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2002 - 12:43 PM

Members of the Cythera board, contributors to the Cythera Chrons:

As of today, I will no longer be writing Cythera Chrons, or participating in any other creative endeavor set in the Cytherian World, until further notice. This may or may not include my 'Beyond' series, I may end up finishing it, I may not. I know there is at least one last part still in the que, so there should be at least one more installment. (Judging from the number of comments, no one cares anyway, so I’ll move on...)
In any case, I believe I owe the members an explanation.

The Cytherian world is far too fragmented to continue to be enjoyable for me to write in. There are too many parallel continua here. Oh, fine, some of you say it doesn't matter if all the chrons conflict, and if there are three or four distinct ‘futures’ - cache and Kat with their Terran Cythera, my and Ody’s Confederation Cythera, tDD’s Imperial Cythera, and who knows what Glenn will come up with.

Since no-one can seize the opportunity to rectify the situation, I am removing myself from it. There, you have one less possible future to deal with. Since the ‘possible present’ including the Coastal Empire and Dwarven league seems to have been rejected as well, forget that too- I’m sorry I ever brought any of it up, or dared put anything new in the stories.

I intend to go carve out a niche in the Coldstone Chrons board, where I want to write something set in a World I can control. I’m not being a control freak, I’m just saying that someone has to have control, not nessiscarily me.

Once again, I apologize for contributing to the overall fragmentation of the Cythera chrons. I should have never installed that game, never got stuck trying to find the secret lever in Cademia, and Certainly never joined a TS.

I will be rather upset if someone trys to sell me the line that the above doesn’t matter - well, maybe not to you, but I think that continuity is rather central to creative work.

Cache22, you’ve been a good person to me, and your aid has been invaluable to my writing. I hope you make it as a professional writer someday.

IKaterei, you are a better writer than I am, and now that you seem to be ‘apprenticed’ to cache, I think you can only improve. Keep up your good work.

Mr. Somebody, someday you’ll probably win Chron-of-the-Month. I hope you do, you show potential, and I look at the way your writing has improved in such a short amount of time, I think you’ll be drifting into the top three pretty soon.

IdiotSavant, you’ve saved me from more absurd schemes I’ve had than I care to remember. Everyone probably has ‘ol Ody to thank for the fact that ‘Project Newbic Horde’ didn’t go through.

Ferazel, I came only a few inches from saying I wanted nothing to do with you once, but I’m glad cache talked me out of it. You (and Ody Posted Image ) had your moments, but my overall memory of you is favorable.

Moonshadow, You are yourself quite a writer, I am sad that you never pursued the Chrons except with cache - maybe you’ll decide to do so in the future.

Slayer, you gave me my first karma point and almost every one I have now. But what I like most about you is your ability to handle this forum with extreme competence and skill. May you have many more years of peaceful reign. However, I think the responsibility falls to you in many ways to resolve the present crisis. You decision on this matter, whether it be to sweep the issue under the rug or forcefully resolve it, will guide the future of Cythera.

Lastly, Avatara.
My feelings for you are somewhat mixed. For reasons of confidentiality, I can not speak further on the matter, but I nonetheless hope you too will have a good reign alongside Slayer. Peace be with you.

I hope that in the future you will get the universe back on track.
Best wishes,
- Bryce

------------------
In general, what exactly makes a game good isn't that easily
quantified - perhaps the absense of things that make it bad? - Words of Wisdom from Glenn Andreas

Where do you want to [url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm"]teleport[/url] today?
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#2 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 01:37 PM

It's sad to see you go, Bryce. I hope you'll decide to come back some time in the future. Good luck in all your endeavors.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#3 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 02:36 PM

I'm very sorry you feel that way, Bryce.

I think a person's view of the 'fragmentation' depends very much on their point of view. If you look upon the stories as a way to build and extend a cohesive and ever expanding universe, then it will certainly appear fragmented. It's inevitable with so many different writers, each holding a slightly different view of what that future should hold. I prefer to think of the Cythera board and the Cythera chronicles as being rooted in Glenn Andreas' vision, in the world laid out in the game. No other point of reference (including anything I myself might write) can be considered absolute, except internal consistency, and whatever the writers themselves declare about their characters in any collaborative works.

I appreciate your other comments, and agree with pretty much all you said about the other writers/members. One thing I would like to clear up, though, is the bit about Kat being my 'apprentice'. Our efforts for the 100th Chronicle were strictly collaborative, although the content of Kat's part did heavily influence my own. The original germ of the idea for the stories was mine, but what Kat produced from it was completely her own, other than a few minor things we discussed for the sake of continuity. I think she did extremely well; in fact, I like her part a bit better than mine.

I'm sorry to see you go, Bryce, but I can't agree that a problem even exists to be rectified. I'll try to read anything you post over on Coldstone, but you might have to notify me to go look.

I wish you well.

- cache

------------------
The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail
Proudly powered by Mac OS X 10.2.1!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#4 User is offline   Aben Zin 

• Safety Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:50 PM

Originally posted by cache22:
One thing I would like to clear up, though, is the bit about Kat being my 'apprentice'.

How long, one wonders, before Kat uses the line: "Now I am the master..."?

Az

------------------
___
"Your superior intellect is no match for our primative weaponry!"
[url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/acomicaboutus"]Don't ask, just click.[/url]
___
This space to be left blank

#5 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Aben Zin:
How long, one wonders, before Kat uses the line: "Now I am the master..."?
Not long at all, I'd say Posted Image

------------------
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#6 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2002 - 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Bryce:
Lastly, Avatara.
My feelings for you are somewhat mixed...

Don't worry, I've gotten that enough to be used to it.

You do have great writing potential, but perhaps Cythera was not the place for you. Over at the Coldstone forums, it'll be easier to express a universe of your own design, rather than ideas from many different people conflicting and colliding. I wish you luck there.

------------------
"I hate that! Your answers are always short, precise, and utterly useless!"
"Yes."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#7 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 06:15 PM

It will be very different without you Bryce. I really enjoyed Collusion and was looking forward to seeing your Beyond series. As for the fragmentation, I think that it is actually the Cythera boards that are fragmenting, not the World of Cythera. That was why I created the What Evil is this? topic. And lastly, thank you for your faith in my chronicle writing career.

------------------
Finally powered by Mac OS X!
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#8 User is offline   Theo Nean Donly 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 07:44 PM

I think all of you who predicted the future were both good and bad. Bad, because, as Bryce pointed out, it puts a limit on the paths of other authors who want to make something believable. However, as those writers can write in, say, the past, this isn't such a bad thing, and it's also nice to have a sense of time in one's writing. My regrets for my chron was its purposefull vagueness in amounts of time, yet if I consider what might have happened if I hadn't done this...

Time isn't constant...anything has, is, or will happen.

I have been told that I am good at reading books, and better at reading people; and I don't mind your laughs, Ty :P Posted Image. Let me hope that my lack of any knowledge of this has mistaken my veiw of your reply Posted Image

Bryce, and so we all eventually float away. I just happened to get pulled back. Good luck. Remember these times, and perhaps we will meet again. For what it's worth, I liked your stories Posted Image

Blah blah blah. I almost sound as if I were leaving too...well, for the moment atleast Posted Image

------------------
"A loner by nature,
A fighter by need." -Theo
The One And Only:
~Theo Nean Donly~
"I don't need a plan, just a goal. The rest will follow on its own"
     - Magic: the Gathering, "Temper"

The One And Only
~Theo Nean Donly~

#9 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 08:59 PM

Bryce, I too am sad to see you leaving the world of Cythera. However, from what I know of Coldstone and its community, you'll easily settle in. Its the place I'd go if the Cythera boards ever ceased to exist. I'll talk to you later on AIM.
Odysseus

------------------
Siena College- Like Yale, only not!
"Anything is possible, except skiing through a revolving door."
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#10 User is offline   Celchu 

• thing
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 09:04 PM

"One man's loss is another's gain." - Someone wise.

Your audience here will miss you Bryce, but we at the Coldstone Chronicles welcome you with open arms. Good luck in your writing, for now and in the future.

------------------
Consider. If passion rules our reasoning, and we are ruled by logic, we are all simply unwitting slaves to emotion, pretending to be greater than what we truly are.
Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out. And then it was nice. - Forrest Gump

#11 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2002 - 10:10 PM

A thought just came to me! Any conflict between different peoples' versions of the Cytheran future(or past, for that matter), can be attributed to Kronos, the time elemental, drinking on the job. So you see, the world isn't really fragmented, Kronos is just blasted out of his skull on Northshore Red and messing everything up Posted Image

------------------
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#12 User is offline   andiyar 

• wordsmith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2002 - 10:33 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Slayer:
A thought just came to me! Any conflict between different peoples' versions of the Cytheran future(or past, for that matter), can be attributed to Kronos, the time elemental, drinking on the job. So you see, the world isn't really fragmented, Kronos is just blasted out of his skull on Northshore Red and messing everything up   Posted Image

And of course, welcome aboard Bryce. Should be fun to have you along. Posted Image

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again."

#13 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2002 - 03:45 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Slayer:
...Kronos is just blasted out of his skull on Northshore Red and messing everything up   Posted Image

------------------

#14 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2002 - 06:15 PM

Northshore Red? Northshore Red, Time, AH HA! So that's why the wine is sour!!!! Posted Image

------------------
Finally powered by Mac OS X!
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#15 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2002 - 07:25 PM

Oops, my secret's out Posted Image

------------------

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users