Ambrosia Software Web Board: The Alraeican Tavern, Part IV - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Alraeican Tavern, Part IV

#101 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2001 - 05:53 PM

Wolmark and Talm were discussing the compressor plans. "...and if we add a hand-pump here, if the compressor fails, I'll have a redundant system." Said Talm, gesturing to a crude drawing on the back of a scrap of paper.
"Nice, but what if it jams? Maybe we should have a bypass so the fluid can be diverted..." Wolmark pointed out. "What if the hand pump jams and the compressor fails?" Talm asked.
"Maybe you worry to much." added Katze. They both knew she was right, at least to a point.

------------------
flamer n.
[common] One who habitually flames. Said esp. of obnoxious webboard personalities.
Ein weasel hat Sie Gehirn!

Those online traslators just don't live up to the hype.

#102 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2001 - 06:45 PM

***OoC***
Well, this is it! I'll repost this at the start of the story thread, for those that don't read the 'tavern' thread first.

Here goes, and I hope this works out!
***BiC***

Contrary to his custom, Sideline made an unusually noticable entrance to the Alraeican Tavern. Bursting through the doors he suddenly stopped and looked around, as if searching for someone. Those that turned to look could see that he was extremely pale.

Seeing Hector still questioning patrons, Sideline walked quickly over and spoke to him. Hector looked up in surprise, and they both hurried back out of the tavern.

After a few moments Hector re-entered, his face was now just as pale as Sideline's had been. He walked hesitantly over to the table at which the Ronin were seated, and spoke in a low tone. "There's something outside I think you should see."

Puzzled, the six Ronin rose and followed hector out of the tavern; several patrons watched with expressions of curiosity, which waned as the moments crept by.

There came a sudden, almost inhuman shriek from outside. As if moved by a single impulse, everyone in the tavern ran for the door, to see what had happened.

Ouside, Sideline, Hector and the Ronin were standing around a wagon. It was apparently Leandra who'd screamed, and subsequently fainted; she was being supported between Wolmark and Ulf. All the Ronin wore shocked expressions, and Sasha was weeping openly.

On the bed of the wagon lay a body, face down; a dagger lying at its side had apparently been extracted from an ugly wound in its back.

Flynn was unquestionably dead.
There are three kinds of computer users: those that use Macintoshes, those that wish they used Macintoshes, and those that don't know any better.

#103 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 12:56 AM

Somewhere whithin LandKingHall, in a room beyong the throne room, a figure clad in white stepped out of the sparkling abyss in a flash of brilliant light. She took a quick but attentive look around, on the watch for anything out of the ordinary. Not that she suspected anything within LKH to be ordinary anymore... She took a few steps forward, so inaudibly that you wouldn't believe she was there if you did not see her. She raised the staff she held - almost as long as she was small, carved with ornate symbols and strange runes, and completely made from crystal - and a bright light flared at its top, only for a splint second.
Yet when the light faded, the woman was gone.

------------------
As l lay in my bed staring at the sky I asked myself:
Where the hell did the roof go?
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#104 User is offline   Lemenath 

Posted 14 November 2001 - 08:47 PM

A figure, clad in shiny armor emblazoned with a rune on the chest, walks in. His head is topped with a long braid of golden hair, supplementing the pointy ears and the pale face. The nose was slightly pointed and rested above a firm cheekbone. The elf walked over to an empty seat facing the door, and sat down at the table that Theo Nean Donly happened to be occupying.

"Its been ages since I've seen you! I've been looking for Hilken, seen him about recently?" Lemenath asked Theo.

"You just missed him." Theo replied, then added in an undertone "What did he do this time?"

------------------

#105 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2001 - 02:06 PM

The band of adventurers stepped out of the portal, into the Tavern. Several patrons began gumbling once more about banning direct teleportation, but most ignored their arrival.

Theo was still sitting at his usual table; the Ronin and several others walked over and joined him.

Theo looked up as they sat, noticed Flynn, and blinked. "I see your quest went better than planned!"

Sasha nodded, smiling broadly. "Yes; villains apprehended, and we got Flynn back. An excellent week's work!"

With a sigh of resignation, Flynn once more began his story.

------------------------------

With his active participation over, Sideline was content to resume his old habits. He found a dark corner of the tavern, and sat down to watch everything that happened.

He noticed one patron look up, and see Flynn for the first time. The man blinked - then stood up and hurried from the tavern. Sideline's eyes narrowed in suspicion; standing quietly, he made his way outside.

The man was in a hurry to get somewhere, Sideline observed; he began to trail him.

------------------------------

Talm looked very nervous. "Uh, I have a little adventure of my own in mind..."

*** OoC ***

Right, participants in Bryce's adventure, please adjourn to the thread [url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum5/HTML/000990.html"]'The Air-Castle (TS)'[/url].

*** BiC ***

------------------
There are three kinds of computer users: those that use Macintoshes, those that wish they used Macintoshes, and those that don't know any better.

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 11-23-2001).]

#106 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2001 - 04:19 AM

Katze, who had left the tavern with Moonshadow once they had returned, re-entered the tavern about two hours later. She looked around quickly, surprised that the tavern was so empty. She walked over to a table in the corner, and sat down there, waiting for a special person to come.

------------------

#107 User is offline   Lemenath 

Posted 24 November 2001 - 11:44 PM

Lemenath watched all from the shadows, having been ignored since these strange people appeared using their barbaric magic, it had been easy to slip away. He had listened intently, hoping for some sign of where in Orn he was. At least he had been able to get somewhat of an idea where he was.

"If I'm right, then that would completely change the rules of the game. Damn Hergat, I should never have gotten caught up in this!" Lemenath muttered to himself, before slipping a hood over his pointy ears and sulking out of the door.

------------------

#108 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2001 - 03:17 AM

Sasha, Kwon and Ulf were just entering the tavern as the hooded stranger was leaving. Deep in thought, and not really watching where she was going, Sasha bumped into the elf.

"Oh, excuse me!" She looked after the departing figure. He'd barely even looked at her through the whole encounter, let alone acknowledged her apology. She shrugged, and the three entered the tavern.

Scanning the room, they quickly spied Katze in the corner. Sasha smiled and began to walk in her direction, but the dark woman waved them away with an unobtrusive gesture.

Sasha was puzzled, but thought it better to comply with Katze's wishes. She and Ulf sat at a nearby table, while Kwon fetched some drinks - a wine for Sasha, two beers for Ulf, and a glass of water for himself.

------------------

#109 User is offline   Trundaylan 

Posted 25 November 2001 - 10:32 PM

Trundaylan frowned, he had re-read the prophecy several times yet still it didn't make sense. All he recognized was the ending part "dirsta irli, Requiem" yet that only hinted that it had started. Also, to add to the effect, a few nights ago parts of the wording had started glowing red, and now continued to shine, having gained a few more phrases. He assumed that it was parts being fulfilled. Of course, prophecys usually were just a crazy man's speculation, but Trundaylan had a sense of dread over this one.

The last phrase, and one in the middle aroused his interest. Something about 'raising dead' nonsense, but there was that ever-forboding feeling. And it was getting worse...

------------------

#110 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2001 - 03:34 PM

A man that had not been seen in the tavern before walked in. "Humph", was the frirst word he said, looking distainfully down the rim of his glasses at the drunken lyng on the floor. The man appeared to be a scholar, the sort that you read about in books. He was going bald, jus having a few wisp of white hair left. He wore glasses with thick lens. He wore no armor or weapons. The strange man walked over the Sasha, Ulf , and Kwon. "I wish to join your quest" he said in a soft tone, as if ashamed "I know at my age, I shouldn't go adventuring but I can be of help. I have much knowledge, if not brute strength. My name is Harper."With saying that he sat down in a chair by them, but first cleaning the chair off.

------------------
How do men that have beards play the flute?
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#111 User is offline   Sasha 

Posted 26 November 2001 - 03:46 PM

Sasha looked at him in surprise. "Our quest? I'm afraid you're a little late for that, we just completed it. But you're welcome to join us on our next expedition - whenever and whatever that might be. In the meantime, would you settle for some conversation?"

------------------
Two wrongs are just the beginning.
Two wrongs are just the beginning.

#112 User is offline   Sideline 

Posted 27 November 2001 - 02:01 PM

Several hours later, Sideline made his usual unobtrusive entrance to the tavern. Without seeming to look around, he veered toward Katze's table, at the rear of the room; she tried to wave him away, like she did for the Ronin, but he ignored it.

He sat down at her table, in spite of the scowl she sent in his direction. "Do you mind?" she hissed, "I'm waiting for someone, and you'll scare them off!"

"Doesn't matter, you've got bigger problems," he replied tersely. "The guild is annoyed with you."

"I know that, the person I'm waiting for should help me out with that little problem."

"No, not that guild; the trade guild," he replied. His eyes shifted rapidly, checking they were unobserved, then he sketched a symbol on the table with his finger.

Katze's eyes widened a little. "Why? What'd I do to offend them?"

Sideline hunched closer, and lowered his voice. "You told them someone killed Flynn, and tried to lay the blame on them. Now they've seen that Flynn's alive; they think you played them for fools!"

Katze sat there in stunned silence.

------------------
My signature? You want to see my signature? Now why would I go revealing all my secrets to a total stranger, huh?
My signature? You want to see my signature? Now why would I go revealing all my secrets to a total stranger, huh?

#113 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2001 - 05:29 PM

After a few seconds, she shook her head. "That can't be... I clearly told Lacan somebody had *faked* his trademark sign... not that I was blaming them..."
Sideline shrugged. "Somebody seems to have taken it that way, though."
"Well then..." Katze got up, a determined expression on her face. "I guess we'll have to pay them a visit."
"Right." Sideline nodded, grinning. Whoever was responsible - he was happy he wasn't in that guy's skin. Then something about Katze's wording caught his attention. "Hold on a sec - what do you mean, we?"
"You and I." Katze looked around the tavern. "Or do you see anybody else I could possibly have adressed?"
Sideline gulped, shaking his head.
"See?" Katze smiled brightly, taking his arm. "Don't worry, they won't harm you."
Sideline looked at her doubtfully as he was being dragged out of the tavern.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moonshadow (edited 11-27-2001).]

#114 User is offline   Sideline 

Posted 28 November 2001 - 11:12 PM

In spite of Katze's assurances, Sideline wasn't sure. It was well known that he'd turned his back on the Thieve's Guild, and that meant everyone who was a member of the Cytheran underworld viewed him as a traitor - except Katze, and she had specific reasons. Besides, she operated almost as far from ideals of the guild as he did.

The Assassin's Guild was even worse. Following his natural bent towards inquisitiveness and analytical thinking, he'd gained something of a reputation as someone who was good at solving crimes - particularly murder. Several members of the lower orders of the Assassin's Guild, currently domiciled in Cytheran prisons, had cause to regret underestimating his abilities; it was from several of these that he'd learned what he had of the guild, its methods of identification and its structure.

The guild was not pleased.

Nevertheless, Katze was a good friend, and she needed his help; so he found himself allowing her to drag him along into one of the places in Cythera that he was the least welcome - even though there was every chance that he wouldn't come out alive.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sideline (edited 11-28-2001).]

#115 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• lift your skinny fists like antennas in germany
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2001 - 10:38 AM

Ferazel walks in to the bar. "Ouch!" he says and walks into the tavern. Inside, he asks what's going on and orders some Northshore.

------------------
If I'm not new here, and I'm not old here, what am I?
------------
Get on [url="http://"http://ircle.com"]IRC[/url]! My channels: #ferazel. Join in to #levo and #cythera too!
And we're never gonna tour again.

#116 User is offline   Lemenath 

Posted 29 November 2001 - 05:58 PM

A human from the back corner in the shadows smiled and stroked the stubble of his shaved black beard. His hair, supposively in dis-array, hung about his shoulders. His face was carved impassively, with a slight tan, slightly pointed nose, and black eyebrows to support the whole ensemble. He was dressed in a white tunic and leather trousers. The blue eyes were piercing into everyone, seemingly knowing everything and looking innocent at the same time.

At the mention of "guild", Hergat leaned on his elbows and inconspicuously blotted out all other conversations besides the one that cought his attention, between a male and a female, who thought only the other was hearing, trying to determine what this "guild" in fact was. The two dropped their voice even lower, making it difficult for Hergat to latch onto the conversation. One of them drew a symbol on the table and the other frowned a whispered a reply, something about it being safe.

Hergat sat up and leaned back, considering something. Perhaps it was true what they said, the Brotherhood extended to other places as well... Perhaps...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 11-29-2001).]

#117 User is offline   Katerei 

Posted 29 November 2001 - 07:49 PM

The door to the bar creaked open. A tall figure stood sillhouetted against against the moon. The person stepped into a patch of moonlight, and the patrons could see that it was a female. She had long, pale blue hair and wore an ankle-length violet dress. Kwon looked up. She seemed to be at least seven feet tall, but Kwon figured his mind was just playing tricks on him.
The woman silently walked towards the table. Ferazel stood up as she approached. "Katerei?" he said in a hushed voice. 'But- how? I thought you died..."
The woman shook her head. "No. I survived somehow. But my parents were not so lucky...oh, they...oh..." She paused to choke back a sob. "He killed them, Ferazel! He killed them! they're dead!" she fell into ferazel's arms, weeping.
Ferazel held her tightly. "Don't worry," he whispered. "You're here now."

------------------
Hah! I have a new name, but I'm still insane so you still have to put up with me. >:P
Follow in everybody's else's tracks- and blend into the crowd.
But make your own path- and your footsteps will be recognized forever.

#118 User is offline   Lemenath 

Posted 29 November 2001 - 08:10 PM

The human sitting next to Hergat nudged him in the ribs.

"You know its not polite to listen in on conversations." He said with a smile. Phinral was a well-built male with a clean-shaven white face complemented by bushy eyebrows and brown chestnut hair. He was wearing a shirt with the sleves cut back and a pair of leather trousers, like his two companions.

The other human at the table grinned, showing a neat row of teeth. He had dark brown hair on top of a tanned-skin face and a short black beard and moustache. He, like his fellows, was well-built and had rippling muscles to suppliment his handsome face.

Hergat made a small smile, though it was forced. The part about the "guild" kept bothering him, causing him to ask questions, though he had enough sense to know that to do so would cause trouble. Instead he looked at his companions, Phinral and Xenar, suddenly striking up an inconspicous conversation while he quickly checked his sheathed dagger.

------------------

#119 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2001 - 08:12 PM

*OoC*
Welcome, Kat!
*BiC*

Again, Ferazel said, "You're here now." He walked out of the tavern, leaving Katerei puzzled. He walked back in a few hours later, and tossed her a small key. "I hope you like Catamarca, because I bought you a house there." he said, smiling. He then sat down at a table and ordered another glass of Northshore Red.

------------------
------------
Get on [url="http://"http://ircle.com"]IRC[/url]! My channels: #ferazel. Join in to #levo and #cythera too!

#120 User is offline   Katerei 

Posted 29 November 2001 - 08:44 PM

Katerei looked down at the small key in her hand. "Thank you, Ferazel," she whispered, and swept out of the tavern.
Outside the tavern, Katerei opened a portal and clambered inside. When she came out, she was standing in a beautiful seaside town. Following the small map that Ferazel had given her, she came to a small house located on the edge of town.
Katerei unlocked the door and stepped inside. It was chilly in there, as the fireplace was not lit, but she did not notice. she placed her haversack on the table and opened it. Inside was a black travelling cloak, a small bag of food, and a dagger in a small leather sheath. She pulled out the dagger and attached the sheath to a leather band around her upper leg, then pulled on the cloak. Katerei stepped out of the house, locking the door behind her.
The sun rose as Katerei walked to the the other side of the town. Her experiences had made her very wary of all people, so she wanted to find out what kind of a place this was. Luckily, most people were still asleep, so she was not disturbed by anyone.
Satisfied, Katerei returned to the house. She walked around to the back and looked out at the ocean. It was a familiar sight to her, even thought it was in an entirely different land. She sighed, turned around, and opened a portal back to Cademia.

------------------
Hah! I have a new name, but I'm still insane so you still have to put up with me. >:P
Follow in everybody's else's tracks- and blend into the crowd.
But make your own path- and your footsteps will be recognized forever.

#121 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2001 - 02:12 AM

Kwon looked over at Ferazel, his face expressionless (as always). "Excuse me, but didn't you go on Talm's quest?"

Sasha shook her head in disbelief. "Don't tell me you sent a simulacrum!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 11-30-2001).]

#122 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2001 - 07:48 AM

Ferazel grinned, and instead of popping away in blue smoke, stayed and drank some more.

Posted Image

------------------
------------

#123 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2001 - 10:11 AM

In the room behind the throne room in LandKing Hall the abyss sparked again. The door slid open soundlessly, and somebody carefully peeked into the deserted room. A few long strands of silvery-white hair fell out from under the white cloak of the stranger as she tilted her head this way and that. Then she stepped forward, out of the shadows, looking at a small object in her hand. She nodded contently, and set out again, walking right through the illusory wall to the left as if she hadn't even noticed it.
Once outside LKH, the stranger stopped dead, looking around in awe. Wind rustled through the leaves, and birds sang cheerfully. It was almost too much to take. She could have stayed there for an eternity, just taking in all the sights and trying to place all the sounds, but the object in her hand reminded her that she had more pressing business to do. "Valva´sa mandra ya´dha fey." She muttered. From afar, she thought she heard the familiar whinny of the cold-immune, magical steeds her race had learned to summon for quicker travel, and only seconds later, a white mare was standing next to her.
Kwon looked up as he heard the whinny of a horse outside. Sure enough, he could see it standing outside the tavern through the window. There was something distinctly odd about it, apart from the fact that it was neither saddled nor bridled, but it took him a few seconds to place just what it was: he had not felt it coming. Now that it was there its life-force was clearly perceptible, yet he could have sworn it had not been there just a few seconds ago. He had not heard the sounds of hooves, either. His thoughts were interrupted, however, as a figure in a white, hooded cloak entered the room. For some reason, he was sure that she was the rider. She tilted her head in a familiar way as she looked around the tavern. Their eyes locked for a second, and Kwon felt as if she looked right into his soul. Then the stranger looked away, over to the other Ronin, then Ferazel, Katerei, Hergat, Xenar and Phinral, then the other patrons. She remained in the doorway for some more moments, insecure and a little afraid, then she headed straight for the Ronin's table. Absent-mindedly, she drew back the hood. Sasha gasped. On first sight, the stranger looked very much like Moonshadow. The same long, silvery-white hair like spun moonlight, the same high cheekbones, the same light-footedness as her feet barely seemed to touch the ground as she walked. She stopped in front of the Ronin's table. It was only then that Kwon noticed how young she was, certainly no more than sixteen years... or at least that's what he would have assumed had the girl been human. The next thing he noticed was that her eyes were icy-blue, unlike Moonshadow's, and though she was undoubtedly younger, her features, at that moment, seemed harder and held more resolution. He could sense a distinct reluctance about her, as if she didn't feel comfortable around them, and something else...
She bowed her head and raised her right hand to her temple. Then she looked up again, and, with a clear, melodic voice, began to speak. "Sanya bha, tuel’bian t’ama. Fey'dha ranari aytann'lyriamalwaar dy fey’sala dy nanda. Man’dalati miri’uûna o fey’salanur madaya lyr’uûna’tâ valha. Fea sanya fey ray’bha. Fey’laha?" The words sounded more sung than spoken, just like Moonshadow's incantations, and the last part had apparently been a question, but that was about all any of them could tell. The girl stood, with raised eyebrows, an expression of impatience showing on her face.

------------------

#124 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2001 - 01:17 PM

As the word 'madaya' passed the girl's lips, a fleeting image of the moon flashed through Kwon's mind. "I believe she is seeking Moonshadow," he said; given the similarities in their appearances, that seemed a safe bet.

The girl stared at him, impatience giving way to consternation as she realised that no-one understood her, nor she them - she hadn't expected that.

Sasha clicked her fingers. "Kwon, what was that trick the Seldane used to give us their language?"

"Ah, yes," Kwon replied. He turned and stared at the girl for a moment, making a small gesture with his hand, then spoke again.

"Can you understand me now?"

------------------

#125 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2001 - 03:58 PM

The girl frowned, examining all the new, strange words and the foreign grammatical structures she suddenly knew. So the strange green, growing... things out there were called 'trees' and 'plants' and 'flowers'. There was 'grass' and 'leaves' and many other new, interesting things to explore. A smile crept up on her face. She nodded at the small man in front of her, wondering about his strange appearance. On her way from the mountains to this strange agglomeration ofbuildings she had already noticed that humans looked alltogether strange, but this one was even weirder. Well, at least he seemed to have some sense, which was more than she had expected of those short-lived, clumsy, ungraceful beings. She sighed as she mentally tried to translate her words into their tongue. Insufficient. That was probably the best way to describe what they arrogantly called a language. It was lacking melody and accentuation, and - most of all - vocabulary. Those humans seemed to undifferentiatedly use the same word where any sensible being would have sensed lots of differences in the context. She noticed that the black-haired woman was beginning to to get impatient, and sighed yet again. Their language would have to do for her purpose. "Greetings to you, friends and strangers." Kwon hid a frown. It was obvious, at least to him, that she didn't really mean the friends part. It seemed to him it was a polite phrase and direct translation from her language, an assumption that was supported by her unsure use of words. "I am called Ranari Aytann'Lyriamalwaar of the Unicorn Clan. I have come through the sparkling darkness to save a member of our tribe, Madaya Lyr’Uûna’Tâ. I read from your minds that you know her. Where is she?"

------------------

[Edit: I made a translation mistake there Posted Image]

[This message has been edited by Moonshadow (edited 12-02-2001).]

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users