• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Requiem (team story)

#1 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2001 - 06:46 PM

***OoC***
OK, this is the beginning, repeated from the tavern. The story is fairly open-ended, but the post of villain is currently filled - so don't go too overboard on that. I'll follow this post with one more, which will be the recruitment, and one more after the recruitment to set the initial direction. Apart from that, it's fair game - enjoy! (And I hope this works!) Posted Image
***BiC***

Contrary to his custom, Sideline made an unusually noticable entrance to the Alraeican Tavern. Bursting through the doors he suddenly stopped and looked around, as if searching for someone. Those that turned to look could see that he was extremely pale.

Seeing Hector still questioning patrons, Sideline walked quickly over and spoke to him. Hector looked up in surprise, and they both hurried back out of the tavern.

After a few moments Hector re-entered, his face was now just as pale as Sideline's had been. He walked hesitantly over to the table at which the Ronin were seated, and spoke in a low tone. "There's something outside I think you should see."

Puzzled, the six Ronin rose and followed hector out of the tavern; several patrons watched with expressions of curiosity, which waned as the moments crept by.

There came a sudden, almost inhuman shriek from outside. As if moved by a single impulse, everyone in the tavern ran for the door, to see what had happened.

Ouside, Sideline, Hector and the Ronin were standing around a wagon. It was apparently Leandra who'd screamed, and subsequently fainted; she was being supported between Wolmark and Ulf. All the Ronin wore shocked expressions, and Sasha was weeping openly.

On the bed of the wagon lay a body, face down; a dagger lying at its side had apparently been extracted from an ugly wound in its back.

Flynn was unquestionably dead.
There are three kinds of computer users: those that use Macintoshes, those that wish they used Macintoshes, and those that don't know any better.

#2 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2001 - 06:57 PM

Sasha's grief was short lived - it was driven out by the rage that quickly began to burn in her heart.

She turned to Sideline. "Take us to where you found the body!"

Sideline lead the growing crowd to the south of the city, about 2 hours walk. The skilled trackers among them began to examine the scene.

***OoC***
OK, this is the recruitment. Who wants to help me track down the murderer?
***BiC***

------------------
There are three kinds of computer users: those that use Macintoshes, those that wish they used Macintoshes, and those that don't know any better.

#3 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2001 - 07:01 PM

Talm looked at the secne. He hadn't met Flynn presonaly, but he felt the loss of the Ronin.
It was evening, and the sun had set.

*OoC*
Good start, cache. Depressing, but good.
I want to know more!

[This message has been edited by Talm (edited 11-08-2001).]
Ein weasel hat Sie Gehirn!

Those online traslators just don't live up to the hype.

#4 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2001 - 07:37 PM

A small man slides in stealthly. If not for his shocking red hair he would not be noticed. His face had a hard look on it, the look of someone who had seen it all and adapted.He gave off an air of a man who had gone down in the world and who was looking for the stairs back up. He had on him one weaopn, a sword that had seen better times, blood stains all over it. " I am called Brink.If you will have me, I will help." He spoke in a precise tone, seemingly of good education.

------------------
Your problem,idiotSavant, is that you go through life thinking everyone likes potatoes. Well,they don't. They like asparagus.
-friend
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#5 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 12:46 AM

"Well, if you're good at this, count yourself in." Katze told the man, a grim expression on her face. She had not known Flynn too well, but she had considered him a friend nevertheless. Anyone who killed a friend of her had to be punished, quickly and harshly. And from the way of the murder, as far as she had gathered, it was quite likely she would be of some use in this investigation. There were not so many people that used daggers for murdering. A cold smile crept up on her face as she followed the Ronin.

------------------
As l lay in my bed staring at the sky I asked myself:
Where the hell did the roof go?
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#6 User is offline   theKestrel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 02:55 AM

**OoC**
I promise nothing. Posted Image
**BiC**

At the same time the patrons of the tavern piled out to see the body of Flynn, a man far away rose from his position above the stream, water dripping from his face. The man moved slowly, for he was very tired. Having drunken from the stream, he immediately remounted his horse, and resumed his journey to Cademia.

•   •    •

Dust plumed outwards from the path of the straining horse. It had been a hard, long trip, and the wear was beginning to show on the light, yet powerful steed. The rider slowed the pace as a city came into site. The steed, Paith, was greatful for the break. Slowly, they made their way into the valley which Cademia rested in.

•   •    •

I rode into Cademia for the first time in nearly a year. It seemed newer, fresher somehow. It was a sight for my sore eyes. I recognized almost everything, though there were things which were new to me. It felt good to be back to one of my old haunts. After a quick ride around the perimeter, I made my way towards the tavern, hoping to see some old friends. As I neared the building, I saw an unusual amount of activity around the building, for this late at night. I came up, and dismounted. Casually, I looped the reins through the post. I stepped onto the boardwalk, and ducked into the bar. I was hoping one of my old mates would be there, to catch me up. It would be good to see them again...Rogan, Trundaylan, Talos, Theo Don Nonly...to name but a few. Best of all, I would get to sleep in a bed tonight, and ease my soul with the cheer of others.

------------------
Check out Aviary Productions' news and info.
You can find the latest version of Fortress of Die Nacht at:
[url="http://"http://www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html"]www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html[/url]
Growth through the Cross.

#7 User is offline   Desert Fox 

• Hypnotized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 04:44 AM

DesertFox hadn’t been in his right mind since he went into that portal. It was definitely the one Avatara had gone through, but Avatara had been prepared for it. DF had hopped right through it without any preparation. The images, sights, sounds, and other sensory information given to him drove him mad, wild. The many things facing him had forced him to use all of his known powers and beyond. His spells were precise and harsh. He attacked many legions of enemies as his dark powers started getting stronger. During his maddening quest through the realm, an evil presence kept terrorizing his mind. Then one day, it appeared in the form of a massive demon overlord. Its attacks were similar to that of an overlord, it was not the fastest on its physical attack but it complimented each of its attacks with magic strikes on DF. DF, to his credit, held off the evil beast for hours. His strikes were deadly but the beast seemed incapable of during and it responded with extremely brutal strikes of its own. DF attacked with all sorts of combos, each designed to take down any sort of opponent that he would come up against, but it quickly became apparent that this vile being could only be taken down with the holies of weapons and spells available. As DF began to get more frantic, his attacks got a bit faster but his guard started to slip and more slashes started to nick and injure DF. Eventually, the demonic being had DF flat out on the ground and unable to move. As it placed its blade on DF’s neck, it started to chant some unknown phrase. Then, something happened, deep within himself. A power he didn’t even know he had decided to make itself appear and DF blasted the demonic beast away from his body with a powerful lightning-dark combo spell. Then DF suddenly cast a spell that he did not know a few seconds earlier, and his shadow separated from him. It was a very interesting spell indeed. The shadow was an exact copy of his body and form. It then leapt at his adversary with a spark that DF had never seen before. It speed was blinding as its slashes and thrusts came quickly and overwhelmed the stunned overlord. DF’ had too little energy to assist his shadow in the fight so instead he used the remaining energy in his body to grab one of the few remaining vials that Avatara had given to him long ago.
As DF drank the vial down, he realized that this was the being that Avatara was hunting for. This being completely trashed DF because DF wasn’t the person able to defeat him, only Avatara had the power to do that. DF then looked at his shadow warrior and knew that it was doomed. This was starting to become apparent as the lightning fast attacks were no longer having any type of effect on the demon overlord. It made a last resort attack on the beast and summoned all of its shadowed power to attack, but the demon overlord easily blocked it and hit it with an attack so brutal, that it tore a hole in the dimensions. DF looked through the opening and he saw Cythera. He then looked down and saw the shadow on the ground, unmoving.

If that being gets through, there is no telling what will happen to Cythera, but how can I stop something like that DF thought as he moved toward the opening of the portal
Suddenly, Avatara appeared out of nowhere, his companions were nowhere to be seen.
“DF, get out of here and close the tear, you have done all you can, leave me to my battle” Avatara called out as he leapt at the overlord with his sword
DF quickly exited the devilish realm as Avatara was waging an epic battle against the vile demon. DF started chanting a spell which Avatara had taught him before DF went hermit. With his powers all concentrated on the closing of the portal, he was powerless to stop a shadowy being that jumped through the portal as it was closing.

“Good luck, Avatara. I hope you find your way back” DF said to himself.

DF quickly shook the vision of Avatara from his head. Avatara had used a spell of his to assist DF on getting out of there but DF knew that it was nothing more than a mere image. Avatara was smarter than attacking the beast on his own. That was more of a distraction for DF to get out and close off the door before the evil one could escape. DF realized that this could happen again and focused his power once again to reinforce the walls of the realm so that Avatara could poke through if he tried his damndest.

One hour later DF was searching his pockets and vial loops again for more potions. He found one and drank it down. This was one that survived the attack Moonshadow had sprung upon him before he entered the portal. He was instantly recharged and he looked back at his handiwork. The seal was completely closed. Even Avatara himself couldn’t have done a better job of sealing it. As DF turned, he noticed something. It was like a shadow. More sinister though. DF quickly drew his sword and readied himself as he drew closer to the forest's edge, hoping to get out before a battle would break out. DF hated fighting in the woods, tree limbs slowed down attacks. Too little too late. The presence was on him. It was human, or at least humanoid. The two weapons it held an initial advantage over DF. DF was no novice though, he called upon past knowledge of the sword to help him in this fight.

It came quick. High slash blocked with shield, low slash with sword. The sparks flew as the attacks came. Scissor attack blocked by shield, thrust counter-attack dodged by high jump-kick combo. . Its form was that of an expert fighter and its skill surpassed even that of Talos, who was considered by all to be the champion of swords. DF was fighting with his all but could not seem to get any ground on this adversary. Then he did a quick slash with his sword and then a high kick, which sent his assailant sprawling into the bushes at their feet. DF couldn’t press the advantage because before he knew it, his adversary was up on its feet and pressing its own attack. High attack, low kick, mid thrust, dual downslash. It was all DF could do to even keep up with this evil. He then started to use his magic to assist and soon after, he released a blast that sent the evil sprawling again into the brush. DF couldn't press this either because his enemy had leapt right back up as if nothing happened. DF was furious at this point but as soon as he cast his spells, his enemy cast counterspells, which nulled out his spells and then his adversary slashed and gashed at him. Spell after spell, no matter how strong, DF couldn’t connect with another dark attack or any other attack for that matter. DF kept his enemy on its toes for a good 5 hours before he was too tired to cast any more spells and too cut up to offer much resistance anymore. His enemy wasn’t looking much better. The nicks and cuts on the warrior were quite numerous and spoke of DF’s skill despite the unexpectedness of the attack. One of the swords that the warrior had started with had been shattered in the middle of the battle and a few of the larger shards were embedded in the warrior’s arm and a few were embedded into DF’s shoulder. This slight standoff gave the warrior enough time to make a final attack and he came in fast, feinting low, feinting high, and thrusting low and landing the attack. Its sword went right through DF’s left thigh, shocking DF but disarming the warrior as it had to jump away to avoid the counterslash DF made. It was apparent that the result of this battle was a draw. The shadowy warrior disappeared in the forest and DF passed out at the edge of the woods.

A bit later, the warrior DF had fought fell to the ground and gripped his skull. It tried and tried but it never seemed to escape whatever had been cursing its mind. It all of a sudden let out a terrible scream and its body dissipated from inside to the outside.

A couple days later, DF had managed to get up and bandage his wound. The final vial he had with him was broken but the remaining potion had been able to stop the bleeding in his leg and allow him to walk on it, as well as giving him the energy to walk around. He traveled by the edge of the woods for 3 days. Stopping only to get a drink at the small creeks and rivers that seemed to crisscross his path and eat the fruits that he found along his path. On the third day he finally came across a small town and he entered. Upon entering, he saw a small gathering outside of a tavern. As he approached, the crowd parted slightly due to his reputation.

"Oh...no...not....Flynn." DF managed to get out as he looked down at his former comrade’s dead body

"Who could have done such a thing?" asked one of the Ronin.

"It may have been what caught up with me in the forest” DF started out, visibly becoming more tired as he went “ but its weapons were completely different. This….is very strange. Please…..somebody….call…..me……a…medic." DF managed to get out as he passed out onto the ground

A few of the men around, including Kestral, scooped DF up and get him into bed as the medics came. The only thought DF could think now was of revenge, revenge for himself, revenge for his comrade, and revenge for Cythera, for if this evil was left unchecked for long, it could spell dire consequences for the future of this realm.

Elsewhere, in a secluded place, a person sat by himself. Quite satisfied with his deed, he started to laugh.
"It may have taken a lot of energy to create, but it was more than enough to handle this one" a dark voice said...

-----------
Gone for a time, but now back and better than ever. -DF

[This message has been edited by Desert Fox (edited 11-10-2001).]

--Just making your "Avatara" be more Avatara-like. Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 11-10-2001).]

--killed my escape with that vision thing, made it so I still escaped the realm (I entered last story)

[This message has been edited by Desert Fox (edited 11-12-2001).]
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!

#8 User is offline   Lochinvar 

Posted 09 November 2001 - 05:47 AM

A grey haired man, in his mid-forties, stepped forward. He had a scar running down his left cheek, and wore only a light, grey tunic, leather trousers, grey leather gauntletts, and boots; he had a haversack slung on his back. The only weapon he carried was a six-foot quarterstaff, bound about for its entire length with strips of leather.

"My name is Lochinvar. You don't know me; but I hate injustice, and I want to help you find the perpetrator of this crime."

------------------
"So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
There never was knight like the young Lochinvar."

[This message has been edited by Lochinvar (edited 11-09-2001).]

#9 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 09:49 AM

Moonshadow walked up and down in her quarters, trying to think of how to present her achievements on Fir'Dha to her friends, but she found it impossible to concentrate. A strange feeling of distress and loss blocked her. She ran a nervous hand through her silvery-white hair, and raised the other one to her face, feeling the touch of cold metal on her cheek. She moved her hand in front of her eyes, suddenly aware of the plain ring on her finger. As she watched it she recalled what Flynn had said about it. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized the implication of his words. Without further thought she reached for her staff, yet again using the teleportation spell.
Katze turned from DF to Lochinvar, looking him up and down. She nodded at the man, mustering a smile from somewhere. "We're greatful for any assistance." She said, her gaze returning to Desert Fox. "You don't happen to be able to heal him, do you?" She turned back to the man, waiting for a reply...
With another flash of light she appeared in the tavern. The remaining patrons refused to pay attention to her unexpected arrival, though somebody muttered something about forbiddin direct teleport to the tavern. She looked around quickly, but saw none of her friends anywhere. "No trace of Flynn..." she muttered. One of the patron's stirred, having heard her words. "I don't know bout Flynn, but those Ronin and a band of others left the tavern some hours ago, somewhere out of the city... I'm not sure, something seems to have -" he stopped suddenly, noticing that the pale woman was already gone. "Damn those mages..." he muttered under his breath.
It was not very hard to follow the humans' tracks on the soft ground outside the city, and Moonshadow kept up a good pace, trying to keep her mind away from whatever had caused the commotion.

------------------

#10 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 10:10 AM

Talm walks up to the Ronin.

"Could I be of assistance in any way?" Talm asked.

Then, more pointedly, Talm Continued.
"Would you like me to help find the murderer?"

------------------
flamer n.
[common] One who habitually flames. Said esp. of obnoxious webboard personalities.

#11 User is offline   Desert Fox 

• Hypnotized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2001 - 04:53 PM

DF is finally rested enough to do the everyday things.
"You don't happen to be able to heal him, do you?" Katze asked as she glanced down at her feet
"I could patch the wound up a bit, but I know I don't have the skills necessary to revive him. Avatara could do it, but only with all of his energy intact and chanting it all. He would not make it here in time for him to revive our pal" DF said in a sad tone
"Oh" Katze replied, deeply saddened by the news
DF could do nothing to comfort her so he wandered out into a nearby field. His energy was growing but he longed to be outside more. The cool breeze seemed to be the medicine he needed as his spirits were immediately cheered by the change of scenary. It was at this point where he noticed his energy just spike up out of nowhere. He did his best to control it and eventually overcame the sudden surge of destructive energy within himself.
"What the..." DF said out loud after taking a long breath "I should not have to contend with the powers within me anymore, this char....!!"
DF frantically searched his wrist and found his charm, broken in half on his wrist
"Oh hell, this took forever to find in the first place, now I have to deal with this" DF said grumpily "well, I just gotta keep my powers in the green when around others until I find that wily old goat of a wizard"
DF, more in wonderment than anything else, tested out his dark powers as he was in the field. He used it to enhance everything he did, the dark power surrounded him almost like an aura would. His speed went 30x faster than ever, his technique was flawless, and his form was in perfect defense. He attacked air for what seemed like only a few seconds but was actually a half-hour. By this time Lochinvar had moved to the edge of the field and was watching DF train himself.
At this point, the training session was getting boring so DF decided to cast one of his darkest spells and summoned his shadow to fight him. His shadow seemed to have been enhanced as well from DF's sudden power-up and fought with DF in such a ferocity that it was tough to tell who was winning by the movement. The blocks and attacks and counterattacks melded so well together it was like watching poetry in fighting. The clash of the metal sword against the cold metal shields could be heard all around. The people back in town thought it was just an exercise in the meadow and went about their day. DF was only able to predict the movements of his shadow by the barest of moments to block. Block low, counterthrust high, block high/low, slash center, block counterslash, shield smash-high kick-slash combo, high sword butt-shield smash in middle to foot sweep combo, slash, parry, parry, slash, thrust, dodge, block, block thrust, shield bash-thrust-high kick and down. The shadow was sent sprawling across the ground and DF quickly made up the ground and stabbed right through the shadow's head, destroying it. DF was panting at this point and went back into a meditative state.
Lochinvar was astounded. He heard of fighting the darkness in oneself but this was a very interesting way to go about doing that. He studied the technique and noticed that DF's methods were very different than those of traditional Cytheran warriors and the many that had wandered into the stories told around the taverns in these parts. He had never heard of the shadow summoning and never saw it in action. Lochinvar then went about his day, thinking back to that training session and studying his moves in her mind. By the end of the day he had DF's form down and understood his fighting technique and its one weakness.
Later on that day DF came back to town to rest in the accomidations provided to him by the townsfolk as the group continued to gather, completely unaware that Lochinvar had seen his training.

------------------
DesertFox: Once they go down, they really suck later
a topic about cheetos

[This message has been edited by Desert Fox (edited 11-10-2001).]

#12 User is offline   Magpie 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 12:29 AM

The Dark lord looked out through the high tower upon Amon-Rauth.
The tower was a solid tower of rock. Carved from the tallest peak in all his dark land. Amon-Rauth was a solid fortress of rock. It too was carved from the tallest peak in all the dark land. From here the Dark lord could view all his land. And from here, with the help of the only Ungol-Mort left all the other lands as well. Right now his attention was focused upon Nectas.
"Has it been written?" The Dark lord questioned Nectas. He enjoyed watching them cringe at his cold mental voice.
"Yes my lord. Written in the blood from one of the last left"
The Dark lord was pleased and he could feel no lie in the voice of Nectas, still he questioned. Maybe just so they would cringe.
"How was it done, Nectas?" Nectas squirmed and uncomfortably answered
"A shadow ghoul, my lord" This was good news.
"Go and seek the rest. It must be written with all of the last ones blood"
Nectas bowed low "Yes, my lord"
--------
Back in Cademia the crowd was still around the body, murmering in ever more quiet whispers even though there was no reason to. A tallish gruff looking man approached the body. He was about 6'7 feet tall and had a ruff unshaven face.
He wore a grey cloak that was definatly too small for him. Upon his hand he wore two spiked metal guantlets that looked very nasty. On his feet were hard leather boots wiht spiked bottoms. This man was clearly a master of martial arts.
Katze looked up at the man with suprise. "And who might you be?" the man stared at her for a moment.
Katze looked away, his eyes almost hurt to look at. A voice, cold and loud, slammed into her mind
"I am called... Darken Rahl"

------------------
I have made a discovery! If I can stay up until 4 in the morning and still get over 13% for science, the human body does not need sleep. I intend to make use of my extra time conciouness.
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

#13 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 08:58 AM

The next morning, Talm was back in town, high in his balloon. The Ronin had given him permission to take the murder weapon back to his well-stocked lab for analysis. Katze stood near Talm, watching him examine the dagger with a large hand lens. The dagger sat in a padded vice, still sharp and lethal. Suddenly, Talm stoped moving then lens and backtracked. "What have we here?" he murmured almost inaudibly.

Talm pulled a tablet from his desk and started to sketch a depiction of what he found.
Talm sat back and looked at the drawing. "Asrasin guide?" Katze asked. "Seems so, I'd need a better lens to see letters better." Talm replied. "...Or more light!" Talm suddenly added. He leapt up and lifted one of the four lamps of there stands and put it in the hands of a surprised Katze. She held the lit lamp over the dagger and Talm peered through the lens. "Assassin's Guild!" He blurted out.

"Can I see the symbol?" Katze asked. "I don't see why not." Talm replied. He pulled back from the chair and let Katze examine the symbol while he took over the job of holding the lamp. Katze looked intently on the symbol on the dagger.

------------------
flamer n.
[common] One who habitually flames. Said esp. of obnoxious webboard personalities.

#14 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 12:06 PM

She recognized the symbol almost immediately, yet she sat silent, staring at it as the minutes passed by. Finally, Talm grew uncomfortable with the silence and asked: "well, what exactly does it mean?"
Katze looked up at him, surprised, as if she had forgotten he was there. "It doesn't really make sense..." she explained. "This symbol... only a small group within the guild uses it..." She fell silent again, looking at the dagger thoughtfully.
"So? What's wrong with that?" Talm inquired, sounding a little impatient.
Katze sighed heavily. "They're one of the few groups to leave their murder weapon behind and -"
"Wait!" Talm interrupted, only now having grasped the implication of Katze's former words. "You mean they're really orgainzed and subdivided and all? The Assasin's Guild, I mean."
Katze looked at him as if he was stupid. "Sure they are, what did you expect?" She frowned, shaking her head. "Anyways, as I was saying, members of this group are only rarely seen in action, and nobody likes meddling with them... and they don't just take any job..." Her voice trailed off, and Talm didn't ask any more questions.
Katze got up. "Thank you, Talm, for letting me in on a few of your examination methods" She smiled. "Now I have to talk to Sideline a little..." She turned to leave, but stopped at the ladder. "One more thing, though. I know Moonshadow's a specialist for analysis of all kinds. Maybe you cold get her to examine the dagger as well... she might be able to find out something about the backgrounds of this murder... maybe even the motive. Perhaps Leandra is able to do something as well... you should ask them to get here, I'm pretty sure they're in dire need of some distraction."
Talm nodded gravely. "I know, and I will ask them."
Katze nodded contently and left the balloon.
In the Ronin's barracks Flynn lay on one of the beds. Moonshadow was sitting on a chair at the table next to Trinias. Wolmark was out questioning townspeople, hoping to get some information on where Flynn had wanted to go, and Kwon was still out in the fields where Flynn had been found with a few others, all of them hoping to find some tracks in the surrounding area. The other Ronin had been more or less sent to bed, with a little support by some sleeping spells, since none of them seemed to be willing to go there out of their own free will. Moonshadow remembered the trouble she had had calming Ulf after her normal sleeping spell had failed to work on him, and how Trinias had evaded that treatment subsequently. She grimaced, and took a sip from her tea, noticing it was already cold. She grimaced again.
"Don't you want to go to bed, too?" Trinias asked, stifling a yawn.
Moonshadow shook her head. "Somebody has to be awake when the others come back, don't they?" She replied, and she surely had a point there. "And since I, as an elf, can stay awake for a long time without getting tired, if I don't strain myself too much, I'm the logical choice."
Trinias had to admit she was right, though he doubted that her reasons were strictly logical.
"But you should go to bed, Trinias." Moonshadow remarked.
Trinias wanted to contradict - he would not have felt well with leaving her alone - but an unexpected voice from the doorway supported the winter elf. "She's right, Trinias." Leandra said, coming from the adjacent room. She looked exhausted and her cheeks were tear-strained, but she tried to cover it up with a resolute expression. "I'll take over for the Ronin from here on." she added.
Trinias grimaced. Her offer didn't help the situation any, since he wasn't sure it would be that wise an idea to leave the two women alone in the same room. A quick glance towards Moonshadow revealed that she had obviously ignored Leandra's comment, and a second glance towards Leandra showed that she wouldn't tolerate any resistance on this topic. "Oh well..." he muttered under his breath and left for the men's dormitory.
Leandra walked over to the table, trying not to look at Flynn, and poured herself some tea.
"It's cold." Moonshadow said quietly. Noticing Leandra's confused expression she added, "the tea. It's cold." She looked down at the table sadly.
Leandra nodded, though she would not see it. "I'll make some more then." She tried to go about her daily work as normally as possible. "Do you want any?"
"If you don't mind..."
Leandra took that as an agreement and went to the kitchen. When she returned a few minutes later Moonshadow hadn't moved a bit. She poured them fresh tea into two other cups and placed one in front of Moonshadow. She took it, but didn't drink anything.
Leandra sat down where Trinias had sat before, drinking a little of her tea. "It will get cold if you don't drink..."
"I know."
The two women sat in silence, Leandra sipped some tea occasionally, Moonshadow didn't.

------------------

#15 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 02:21 PM

Talm sat in his lab in the balloon. He would have to talk to Moonshadow and Leandra, but he first made a note to do some reaserch on the Assassin Guild - Talm hated, of all things, a void of knowledge. He departed his balloon, a revised sketch of the symbol in his hands. One way or the other, Talm wanted answers. As he climbed down the rope ladder, Talm decided to make a quick stop at the Two-Tailed Rat and ask some questions to the town's more seedey elements.

OoC Sorry if that was a bit short, I'm busy on weekends.

------------------
flamer n.

[This message has been edited by Talm (edited 11-10-2001).]

#16 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 02:57 PM

***OoC***
OK, it's gotten a bit further than I'd intended by this point, so I guess I'd better get moving; if anyone wants to contribute but hasn't joined yet, feel free to write yourselves in.

<edit> Whoops, Bryce posted while I was composing. I'll have to adjust some things to coincide with his post. </edit>
***BiC***

Trinias lay on his bunk, staring at the ceiling. No-one had used any sleep spells on him, and he was so wrought up that he couldn't fall asleep naturally. Over and over in his mind, he kept re-examining the scene where the body - he couldn't bring himself to even think Flynn's name - had been found.

Suddenly the picture became clear, and he almost slapped himself for missing it; but he'd been very distracted, afterall. Dressing hurriedly, he dashed out of the barracks and back to the scene of the crime. The two women watched him go with surprise.

-----------------------

Without a word, Trinias joined Kwon and the others. He looked about quickly, determining that his memory hadn't been playing tricks; he drew Kwon's attention to what he saw.

"Look; there's where we found the Ruby Fang lying. Now look over there: see that spot? That's where whoever tried to pick it up landed. I guess they took his other weapons. Now see there, there's the trail: they went West, toward Pnyx."

Kwon followed his friend's explanation, but couldn't see the minute traces himself. He new Trinas' skill, though - he hoped it wasn't just wishful thinking.

"It will be dusk in an hour," Kwon replied. "Even you cannot hope to follow a trail in the dark. We will organise an expedition in the morning."

Trinias nodded, and the pair returned to the barracks. This time, Trinias fell asleep almost instantly.

-----------------------

Katze was talking to Sideline at the rear of the Alraeican Tavern. "This is a drawing of the symbol we found."

Sideline glanced at it briefly. "Chakh-Reth? But why? I mean, Flynn sounds like a nice guy and all, but nowhere near important enough to attract a contract of that level! I would've thought Chakh-Nerakh; or Chakh-Berok at best!"

"I know," Katze replied. "It doesn't make sense to me either."

Sideline examined the drawing more closely; he paused, his attention drawn to one particular spot.

"What is it?" Katze asked, seeing him become motionless.

"I'm not sure; maybe nothing," he replied. "It could just be a mistake in the drawing. Could you get me in to see the actual dagger?"

"I don't see why not."

They caught Talm just as he was leaving the balloon.

-----------------------

Sideline looked up from the lens. "It was no mistake. This thing's a fake!"

"A fake? Then it's useless!" Talm exclaimed, then shook his head in confusion. "This is making less and less sense all the time. Now what do we do?"

"Not useless, no," Katze murmured, a faraway look in her eye. "Even a fake can be useful - if used properly."

"You have an idea?" Sideline queried.

"Nothing definite - just a glimmering."

"Well," Talm added, "we don't have much else right now. We might as well go and tell them what we've found."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 11-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 11-21-2001).]

#17 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 03:37 PM

Katze nodded. "Right, we don't have much time..." She took the dagger. "Yet I have to make an important visit beforehand... have you had one of the magesses examine this yet, Talm?"
"No, I didn't get the chance... when I went to the Ronin's barracks they were both asleep... on their chairs!"
Katze raised a questioning eyebrow, and Sideline hid a grin.
"Don't ask me!" Talm felt the strange need to defend himself.
Sideline patted his shoulder. "Never mind, friend."
"Right," Katze nodded. "Now, if you'd excuse me?"
Both men nodded, and Katze left the tavern, heading for some place unknown to them.
Dusk was nearing, but she didn't feel insecure or uncomfortable in the narrow passages of the Cademian slums. They were her home, after all. Unnoticed, she slipped through secret doors that not even a schooled eye would have suspected to be there, making her way deeper into the heart of the Assasin's Guild. She did not really try to hide herself, though, knowing that this would be taken as offense and threat.
"Oi, Katze!" she heard a low call.
She looked up and saw a girl, maybe 12 years of age, sitting on the low roof of one of the buildings to the left.
"Hi, Shaya! Is Lacan at home?" she queried.
The girl disappeared from the rooftop without saying a word, but a few minutes later the part of the wall she'd been standing in front of slid open soundlessly. Shaya winked, letting her in. "You may proceed!" she announced with a bow, mocking the dignified demeanor of the city's oh so honest and well respected House Elders.
Katze grinned, knowing it was not meant an insult - at least not towards her - and entered the building.
About an hour passed until Katze returned to the tavern, a broad grin on her face. Sideline looked up as she approached. "Where'd you buy the good mood?" he asked.
"Lacan." Katze replied, as if that word held all the answers. She sat down at the table.
Sideline looked impressed.
Talm looked confused.
"He promised to help us." Katze proceeded to explain. "He's furious about this." She reached down and patted her right boot, where she had hid the dagger.
"I understand that... faking his trademark sign like that." Sideline nodded.
"What, you mean the-?"
"Yes, the trader we bought it from." Katze quickly interrupted Talm, and Sideline glanced around inconspiciously, noticing with satisfaction that nobody seemed to have heard.
Talm suppressed the reflex to cover his mouth as he realized his mistake. "Well, that should help us considerably." he remarked.
Katze nodded. "Exactly." She leaned back, being quite pleased with herself.
Sideline, on the contrary, got up and motioned for the others to follow his example.
Katze groaned.
"Time to get some work done, lazybone." Sideline scolded her jokingly.
Katze groaned again, but got up and followed the other two out of the tavern and to the Ronin's barracks nonetheless.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moonshadow (edited 11-10-2001).]

#18 User is offline   Magpie 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 05:52 PM

As the three entered the barracks, there was a clink of well-made armour. Darken Rahl was staring at Moonshadow who, despite herself had fallen asleep. Darken Rahl turned to face the visitors, his spiked and jagged helmet hiding most of his face. Sideline stepped cuatiously up to Rahl, wary of the blades and spikes that protuded from every of his armour. "Who might you be, and what is your business here?" Sideline stared into his eyes, but quickly turned away. They hurt to look at.

"I am Darken Rahl" he stepped forward and nodded in the direction of Talm, a nod that made his armour chink as blades clashed "What is he doing here?" before Talm could answer Katze interupted "He's doing what ever he damn wants here" she glared at Darken Rahl challenging him "And I suggest you get moving along or explain yourself" Katze finished by loosening one of her daggers from its strap.
"Don't try it, Katze" Sideline still stared questioningly.
"Alright" Darken Rahl puased surveying the scence "I am here to help. I am a martial arts expert and i do know several magick spells. I can track people and hunt monsters. My hands and feet are more then a match for almost any swordsman"
Katze nodded still wielding her dagger "Come to teh scence of the murder. We set off at dawn"

------------------
I'm a dinosuar!
RRRAAA
GRRR
'n' stuff
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

#19 User is offline   Ronin 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 06:23 PM

***OoC***
I think I listed everybody so far, but if I forgot you let me know.
***BiC***

Sasha awoke early the next morning. She felt very refreshed, although the rage still burned deep within. As she sat up, she saw a note on the dresser.

Her eyes opened wide as she read it; she rushed from the room out into the main living area. Moonshadow made as if to speak, but Sasha just waved in her direction and went to rouse the other Ronin. When they were all awake, she took them into another room, and locked the door.

Moonshadow looked at the door in curiosity, but wasn't given much time to speculate; the door opened a few minutes later, and the Ronin exited. Moonshadow noted that the expressions on their faces were very determined. She stood up and joined them as they exited the barracks.

Ouside, they found Katze, Sideline and Talm waiting; quickly and quietly, Katze informed them of their findings with the dagger.

Sasha nodded, and the group proceeded to the scene of the crime to wait. Eventually, all the others who'd offered to help began to arrive: Brink, Desert Fox, Lochinvar and Darken Rahl, all well supplied for a long journey.

Trinias told them all of the signs he'd read; the group set out along the trail to Pnyx.

------------------

#20 User is offline   Talm 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2001 - 09:33 PM

"Amazing, that dagger being fake..." Talm babbeled, as he'd been doing for the last
half-hour. "Such a minute detail - and it makes all the diffrence in the world!" He continued. "Say, Wolmark, the compressor you made for the Zephlin, how is it powered?" He asked. Wolmark began a detailed explanation of the compressor's workings. "Great, now both of them are going..." muttered one of the group's members, almost inaudibly.

------------------
flamer n.

#21 User is offline   Magpie 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2001 - 12:40 AM

The crowd had trudged wearily along the well worn path for about 5 hours. The scent of flowers in full blossum filled the air and bees hummed noisly about.

At a sign from Sasha -who seemed to be leading- the company haulted in the narrow mountain path. Desertfox sat down next to Darken Rahl and took out a wing of chicken from his bag.
"So" Desertfox spoke. He was not quite sure of what to say. "So" he said again, still uneasy in Rahls presence "So, what brought you to Cademia?" Darken Rahl pulled of one of his guantlets and sat it besides him on the rock.
DF noticed that upon Darkens left hand he wore a plain gold ring. Darken Rahl streched a hand over his back and from a small metal backpack, smelted to his armour, he pulled a hunk of bread. As DF waited for his reply Rahl munched hungrily.
When he had finished, Darken placed his guantlets back on and answered DFs question: "I come from a land" he paused unsure of how to finish "I come from a land to the east of here" DF nodded.
"Does this land have a name?" DF glanced around the rest of the crowd. Katze and Moonshadow sat on the grass chating to Talm. Sasha and the rest of the Ronin who had joined the quest huddled together talking in low voices.
"It does" Darken Rahl looked up, the mountain tops were still snow capped "But it is not a name you would know"
DF didn't like that. He was widely traveled and had visited many lands others had not. How could this spiked rat lizard mock him like this?
"Humour me"
"Mordour" Darken Rahl had spoken the for his old guild, but this minor hero would not realise the trick.
Although DF didn't want to admit it, Darken Rahl was right. He hadn't heard of Mordour. Df had formed a good smart reply in his mind and was about to launch the verbal death strike when a harsh peircing cry burst over the clearing.
All eyes turned upwards as a gloomy shadow envoloped the company.

A huge dark bird. Its feathers stuck out at ungainly angles and the sharp raptor like beak open. It cried a harsh horrible cry that resounded through the small valley. The Ronin scrambled for cover and every one else blocked their ears.
The bird, or maybe it was reptile, let out another cry of death and left.
Sasha spoke meakely, "I think we had better get moving"

------------------
I'm a dinosuar!
RRRAAA
GRRR
'n' stuff

#22 User is offline   Lochinvar 

Posted 11 November 2001 - 01:30 AM

Lochinvar stood leaning on his quarterstaff, watching the flying creature disappear into the distance.

"Never in my life have I seen such a beast," he drawled in his deep, slow voice. "Does anyone know what it was, or where it might have come from?"

------------------

#23 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2001 - 09:35 AM

"I have only heard of such a thing in myths." replied Brink "I think we can take this a a omen, though of what I know not. However, I'm sure that creature is not of the land of Cythera". Brink looks oddly at the sky and murmurs to himself "ålea iacta est"

------------------
Your problem,idiotSavant, is that you go through life thinking everyone likes potatoes. Well,they don't. They like asparagus.
-friend

[This message has been edited by idiotSavant (edited 11-11-2001).]
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#24 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2001 - 10:16 AM

Later, as the travelers continued through the mountain passage in route to Pnyx, they heard a sound. then, a single rock rolled off the side of the cliff, and slid to a rest in front of Sasha. Everyone, even Talm and Wolmark, stopped talking. Those with weapons drew them.
They waited for one minute, then two.

In an instant, dozens of large, barrel-shapped creatures poured over the cliff side, tentacles failing in the air. "Polyps!" Someone screamed. There were easily forty of them, all hungry for food - in this case, the intrepid travelers. But these polyps were different - rather that the usual green, they were flaming orange.

Trinias Fired an arrow into the core of the a creature, drawing first blood. Talm, no stranger to confrontation but by no means truly adjusted to it, plunged his short sword into a unhappy, passing Polyp. It turned a ruddy tendril to strike, but the offending tentacle was cut off by Sasha. With a quick second blow, the creature quivered and fell.
"You owe me one!" she said, jokingly, to Talm. She turned and rejoined the fray.

So far, the polyps had taken no one, but they had inflicted some nasty injures that would need treating later. Rahl stood, fighting three of the plant-monsters at once, leafy tendrals flying through the air. Talm meanwhile, saw a chance to repay his 'debt' to Sasha much quicker than he had expected. Seeing her surrounded by the polyps, Talm removed a flask from his pack, and through it at the plops. With a crash of glass, the plops we're showered in green liquid. With a horrible hiss, the outer, armor skins of the plops liquefied. Sasha sliced the distracted, vulnerable polyps. "Were even!" shouted Talm. Sasha half-smiled and returned to the growing battle.

In the aftermath, the passage was pilled high with Polyp pieces stacked high. At least the plant-based creatures didn't smell. Talm, his left hand bandaged, stood examining a plop corpse. "I've never seen one this big before!" He exclaimed, breaking the peace of the evening. Rhal stood watch at the entrance to the passage, as the sun was at last falling over the horizon.
The others sat around the campfire, tending there fairly insubstantial injuries.

The battle was over, and won.

------------------
I'll just put a random number at 0008EC and see what happens.
(Famous Last Words #-32767)

Where do you want to teleport today?

[This message has been edited by Bryce (edited 11-11-2001).]
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#25 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2001 - 02:26 PM

The Ronin sat around the campfire. Trinias reached into his pocket and pulled out a peace of slightly-worn parchment. He carefully unfolded it, and looked at the words. "Wolmark" he asked, "What do make of this?" Trinias handed the paper to the scientist. Wolmark quite weary from the battle. Slowly turned to Trinias and picked up the paper. He started to read it. Suddenly, his eyes lit up, and he began rereading the text aloud.

" Five Crystals there are
One of fire, one of water
one of earth, one of sky
in the fifth crystal
total power lies "

Wolmark looked at the paper a good five minutes after he first read the last line, rereading it again and again.

Wolmark raised his head.
"Where did you find this?" He asked.

"It's a apparently a translation this" Trinias said, pointing the sketch of the disc on the paper. "We found the disc uh..." Trinias turned to make sure that Talm was out of earshot. he lowered his voice. "We found it in a secret compartment, on Talm's balloon... "
"What?" Blurted out Wolmark. then, lowering his voice, he continued. " Why were you snooping around? And where was Talm? For that matter, where was I when this happened?"

"You, Katze, and Talm were tinkering with the crystal... the compartment was hidden in a book in the library. I wouldn't think he'd mind us using his books..." Trinias continued.

"No, I don't suppose he would have been upset... " Wolmark digressed.

"The disk itself was silver colored, with the runes on it engraved. They were painted with blue dye, too." Sasha told Wolmark.

Wolmark looked at the paper again.
"Fire... Water... Earth... Sky... The four material Elements." Wolmark muttered.

"Material?" Asked Leandra.
"Uh.. nothing..." Wolmark replied, nervously.

"It seems that the disc refers to five elemental crystals... The Fire, or Ignae, Crystal, must be the Solar Shard Talm uses... The others must also be empowered with the force they represent." Wolmark concluded.

"What of the fifth crystal?" Leandra asked.
Wolmark replied : "I don't know that this is the time* to say... perhaps.. Just trust me when I say that there are five elements..."

"But if there is a fifth element, then It would have no counterbalance... it's impossible." Leandra stated plainly.

Hard as she tried, she couldn't get Wolmark to elaborate.
She would have to go to the source. Talm was asleep in his tent already, she would have to wait.

*Pun intended Posted Image

------------------
I'll just put a random number at 0008EC and see what happens.
(Famous Last Words #-32767)

Where do you want to teleport today?
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users