Ambrosia Software Web Board: Cythera Chronicles: Conspiracy of UrSlyph's Stolen Jade Book - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Chronicles: Conspiracy of UrSlyph's Stolen Jade Book

#1 Guest_Ping (Bryce's computer)_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

The sleet was pleasant.
What is more, it was also storming.
Urslyph saw Bellpheron with a powerful rare jade book.
But before that, a shape-changer spoke to UrSylph.
Then UrSylph conspired with a shape-changer.

Urslyph poked Bellpheron.
Urslyph whacked Bellpheron.

Alaric and Larisa conspired together to capture Urslyph with his own bucket of sour milk. Alaric prepared his strange goat.

Alaric saw Urslyph.
UrSylph was a pretty person.

Only a hair dryer or pliers could have pressed UrSylph.
Though it was thought that a shapechanger could do the same.

Urslyph whacked Alaric, but Alaric soon bonked him in retaliation.
Later, Urslyph tried to whack Alaric.

"Have you hugged your fat bucket of sour milk, or are you just afraid to really
use it?" Urslyph boldly questioned Alaric.

Urslyph tried to hug Alaric.
Magpie tried to bonk Urslyph.
Alaric blasted Urslyph.

Larisa impaled Urslyph.
Then a shapechanger zapped Larisa.

"I do not fear your sharp strange goat, for I have a powerful rare jade book of whacking!" Urslyph proclaimed. "Give up or I shall use my rare jade book!"

Then Alaric pummeled UrSylph.
Afterwards, Alaric zapped UrSylph.
But before that, UrSylph injured Alaric.

Urslyph conspired to eat Magpie with his bucket of sour milk.
Magpie was a robotic person.
Magpie stood with Meleager preparing boxer shorts for use.
They felt that Hector, though owning boxer shorts as well, would be no match for them.

After that, UrSylph hit Magpie.
Then Meleager zapped UrSylph.

Magpie then talked to Alaric's belly with a old battery.
Hector and Larisa then healed Alaric with a Hamster Mallet.
The End.

[This message has been edited by moderator (edited 07-14-2003).]

#2 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:57 PM

It's not exactly Shakespeare, but it's better than nothing, I suppose. Considering that this was written by an automated system, this story really isn't that bad.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#3 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:54 AM

Now what I need is a random comment generator...
Hmm. Sounds like a fun project...

------------------
"Programming is an art form that fights back."
- Unknown

"I do not fear your Powerful Racoon, for I have a Short Poker of Shooting!" - Random Story Creator IV

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#4 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:05 AM

That part will be easy, creating random numbers with corresponding pre-set comments. Unless you want actual feedback, but automated comments on that would be tough.

------------------
"What we do not know, we cannot begin to understand."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#5 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Avatara:
That part will be easy, creating random numbers with corresponding pre-set comments. Unless you want actual feedback, but automated comments on that would be tough.

I would have a certain number of preset sentence templates, as in the Random Story Generator, but rather than picking the characters and objects randomly the program would scan the chron's text for names and objects.
Granted, I would have no idea how to have it tell between a proper noun for a person and a place, so it might come out with something like:

"I would like to see more character development on Cythera. It seemes like you didn't give quite enough attention to that person in the story."

But whatever. An easier route might be to manualy scan the story and then enter the names of characters, places, things, &c into the program by hand.

------------------
- Unknown

"I do not fear your Powerful Racoon, for I have a Short Poker of Shooting!" - Random Story Creator IV

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#6 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2003 - 01:05 PM

Kind of like a Mad Lib. Posted Image

------------------
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#7 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:22 PM

Although the plot seriously lacked, the story itself was amusing. I say we make Ping a member and Karma slap it for its efforts! Posted Image

------------------
Would you like fries with that?
Ambrosia Beta Tester!
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#8 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Somebody:
Karma slap it for its efforts! Posted Image

Slap? In order to reward, one would give karma, not take it away.

------------------
- Unknown

#9 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2003 - 11:51 PM

It's effort, Bryce, is worth a slap.

------------------
Would you like fries with that?
Ambrosia Beta Tester!
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#10 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:11 PM

At least its putting forth an effort...unlike most people. Posted Image

(myself included Posted Image)

------------------

#11 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Somebody:
It's effort, Bryce, is worth a slap.

Care to recall some of your earliest fictional efforts? Your recent work is great, (In fact your writing has improved amazingly) but your own first chron was not all that much better than this computer-generated doggrel Posted Image (Perticularly, the computer uses much better formatting.)

------------------
- Unknown

#12 User is offline   Big Joe 

• PipPip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 01:15 PM

I need a strange goat and/or powerful buckets of sour milk! That was funny. /me laughed his head off at Bryce's computer's creative genius.
Actually, though, that's an impressive piece of programming you've done, Bryce. To make it come up with random stuff that actually is grammatically correct is very cool. Maybe you should have Ping crank one out once a month just so we actually have chronicles submitted every month. Of course, according to Slayer, they wouldn't be in the running for the Chron of the Month, but hey, it would still be fun to read them.

------------------
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Inventor of the "Analytical Engine", the first computer.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

#13 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Big Joe:

Actually, though, that's an impressive piece of programming you've done, Bryce.

It's not that complex once you figure out how, and even that's not so hard. I've been interesting in random fiction generation for a long time - this is the fourth Random Story Generator.
A fifth one, using the VTOS (Varible Text Output Script) technology that I'm developing, may actualy take the emerging fields of CAW (Computer Aided Writing) and CGF (Computer Generated Fiction) to a whole new level Posted Image

------------------
- Unknown

#14 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, it can download and add random pictures into the story as illustrations. Posted Image

I still like the AI idea where the story generator "learns" how to improve its writing by "reading" other peoples' works of fiction.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-30-2003).]

#15 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Avatara:

I still like the AI idea where the story generator "learns" how to improve its writing by "reading" other peoples' works of fiction.

A great idea, but beyond my skills. And besides, left unchecked it might become sentient or at least partly 'alive' and then it would be unethical to reset or delete it, and then what do you do with all the buggy neurel net files? Posted Image Do you think I want to use up all my computer HD space as a suspended-animation insane asylum for broken virtual life-forms?

------------------
- Unknown

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users