Ambrosia Software Web Board: Cythera Chronicles: Coastal Empire: The Nascency - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Chronicles: Coastal Empire: The Nascency

#1 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2002 - 03:21 PM

Part One: Rumors and Portents

In collaboration with cache22 productions
Edited by cache22 & ColdFusion

Brink sat at his desk, in Cademia. He carefully put his papers in order and
shot a glance over at Harper engrossed in some figures, mumbling to himself.
This was the best time to go, thought Brink.

"Harper?"

Harper didn't even look up. "Yes, Brink?"

Brink was halfway to the door. "I'm taking the rest of the month off. You’re in charge while I'm gone."

"That's nice, Brink," said Harper absently.

Brink walked to the door slowly, acting as he wasn’t in a rush. As he was about to open the door, Harper seemed to grasp what Brink had said.

"Brink, did you say that you were taking the rest of the month off?!"

Brink sighed mentally - he had almost avoided having this discussion. "Yes, Harper, I'm taking the rest of the month off."

"But Brink, you can't do that! We're expecting a wine shipment!"

A look of realization spread over Harper’s face. "You're going on one of those foolhardy quests, aren't you?"

Brink looked at him mildly. "I thought you had changed your mind about questing. Especially after you went on one yourself."

Harper looked a bit miffed. "I was simply performing the deed of gracing them with my abilities, Brink. Nothing more. It was not, per se, a quest..."

Brink grinned. "Word it how you want Harper. And yes, I'm going on a 'quest.' Actually, it's more of a trading expedition. I'm heading North, you see."

Harper nodded - this didn't sound too bad.

Then Brink tried to add stealthily, "...with Sideline."

Unfortunately, Harper's sharp ears heard. "With Sideline? Brink, you must have lost whatever business sense you had! The trade deal will have to be split 50-50! Sideline runs his own trading business!"

"Yeah, right down the middle. Harper, do you know how hard it is to get someone to go up North, after that little 'accident' that happened?"

"Yes, but Brink... 50-50!"

"Are you volunteering?"

"Still," Harper continued, hurriedly, "50% is a lot better than nothing, Brink! I think Sideline will be a fine business partner!"

Brink nodded in satisfaction. "And Harper?"

"Yeah?"

"When I come back, I don't want to see that you've been calculating pi on the wallpaper again."

"But I've narrowed it down to 3.141592653589..."

"Harper!"

"Oh, fine!"

Brink walked out, mentally patting himself on the back. He felt almost giddy with excitement, the sense of a new adventure opening up. Yes, one could see it just as another trading expedition, but to Brink, it was something special and if nothing else, an opportunity to enjoy another's company. Brink tightened the pack on his back, filled with provisions for the trip. He was also wearing his sword, new and never used. Its blade was sharp, and its metal clear, but it had yet to prove itself. Brink quickened his pace. As he neared the outskirts of Cademia, he saw a figure who was unmistakably Sideline

Brink looked dismayed. "I though we agreed to meet at seven."

Sideline nodded. "I just like being early."

"You’re looking well," said Brink, as he got nearer.

"Thanks," replied Sideline, "you’re looking pretty fit yourself." Sideline glanced at Brink's sword. "One of Milcom’s?" he asked.

Brink nodded, for Milcom’s work was famous throughout Cythera. "Shall we get going?" asked Brink.

However, Sideline was gazing at a bird in the distance, his face troubled. "Brink, take a look," he said, pointing.

Brink grunted. "Never seen that bird here before. Maybe is means something."

A smile twitched the side of Sideline’s mouth. "You still believe in omens, eh?"

Brink tried to look offended, but failed. "It’s my job to see these omens. I was once a mage..." His voice trailed off, as if he felt he had said too much.

"And it’s my job to deal with facts," replied Sideline

"Old habits die hard," said Brink quietly, still squinting at the strange bird.

"Come, lets get a move on."

It was a short walk to the dock, just around the corner. The dock looked well used, but at the moment, only one ship was in dock.

"That's it?" asked Brink, doubt in his voice.

"That's it," replied Sideline, with more enthusiasm then he felt.

Brink looked doubtfully at the beaten-up, smallish ship before going up the gangplank. The 'ship' sank a few more inches once Brink was aboard. Brink gave Sideline another look.

"This guy is the best," Sideline insisted, hoping he was right

Brink sighed, putting more trust in his own two legs then any rickety boat. Before Brink got more than a look around, the cabin door burst open. A young man came out, looking nervous.

"Captain Dread isn't here," he said, in a voice used to get rid of door-to-door salesmen.

Brink turned to Sideline. Sideline took charge. "Tell Dread it’s Sideline. Friend of Guybrush."

The young men went back into the cabin. A wild looking man came out. His hair
was black and curly. "Any friend of Guybrush is a friend of mine. Welcome to my home,
Sideline!"

While Sideline and Captain Dread exchanged pleasantries, Brink looked ready to jump ship in case it suddenly sunk. Sideline tried to ignored to the look of betrayal on Brink’s face and introduced Dread to Brink.

"Brink, Dread. Dread, Brink."

Brink and Dread shook hands, and it appeared to Sideline that they were trying
to crush each other’s hands. Brink must have won, for Dread removed his hand
quickly.

"So," Brink queried, "can this ‘thing’ really sail?"

The three sat in the cabin as Dread assured Brink of the seaworthiness of the boat. "It sure is shipshape!" he boasted.

Brink glanced around critically.

Sideline, always the peacemaker, said, "Dread’s a great navigator. He's gone this way many times and always came out unharmed." Brink could not grasp what an accomplishment this was until after the journey on which they were about to embark.

The boat lurched as it set off from dock. Brink grasped the handles of his chair very tightly and his knuckles turned white. Sideline, seeing it would be best for Brink to keep his mouth shut, started talking to Dread. However, a bit later, when more sure of himself, Brink motioned for Sideline to come out on deck.

"Yes, Brink?" asked Sideline.

"You’re sure that this thing is safe?" asked Brink.

"Dread hasn't lost a passenger yet," replied Sideline.

Brink nodded.

"You look a bit green around the gills," commented Sideline.

Brink rushed to the side of the boat. Sideline sighed. It was going to be a long trip.

"Well, Captain, it’s been a pleasure. I thought we were goners for a bit back there but you pulled us through. You'll meet us back here in a week?"

Dread nodded. Brink had a puzzled look over his face.

"Dread, if sailing is such a great job, why were there no ships at the dock?"

A look of worry spread over Dread's face. "Sideline knows the story... and I must go. Good-bye."

With that, Captain Dread pushed off, leaving a puzzled Brink.

"What was that all about?"

"Long story - I’ll save it for the road," answered Sideline

"You see, it started about 5 years ago. Cythera was doing well, trade was up, peace spread throughout the island. People could walk anywhere where without fear, for the bandits were all but gone. Times were good. However, the old overseer of Trade and Transportation died and Alaric appointed a new one."

Brink interrupted. "I can guess what happened. The new overseer was evil and shut down the boating trade."

"No, the new overseer was great, better then the first, but for reasons no one could explain, boats began disappearing, when out at sea. Alaric grew angry, for people stopped going out of dock and trade died. Thing got worse and worse. Soon Cythera was in debt and Alaric sat helplessly on his throne. The Houses of Cythera grew unhappy and fought among themselves, the bandits came back and Alaric could afford no army. Finally, left with no choice, Alaric fired and exiled the overseer. Oddly enough, the boats stopped disappearing. However, matters did not improve much. And the ferries and traders murmured among themselves... if the king would fire and exile his own nephew, what would he do to them? Talk of rebellion started as Cythera continued its downward spiral. Finally, the traders and Boatmen formed a weak guild, held together only by greed and they sent a messenger telling the king to agree to their demands or they would run their own dock, with their own overseer and not pay taxes. Alaric refused, for there was no way he could accept this. The guild did as they threatened, and moved to an unknown location. Alaric grew desperate, Cythera was dying. He borrowed some more, bought his own fleet and hired them out. Things got some better, then one day, none of his fleet came back. Everyone knew it was the Trader’s and Boatmen’s Guild. And that's where we are now."

"I should have given Captain Dread more credit," said Brink with a little regret.

"Aye, once he refused to join the guild, they made sure he couldn't get new parts for his boat, thus it is what you saw. It was once his pride and joy. Now it's falling apart..."

"Ahhh, what touching story!" said a sneering voice behind them.

So engrossed in the story were they that they hadn't noticed they were being followed.

"A bandit!" cried Brink, pulling out his sword. Sideline did likewise.

"Well, well now... looks like these people are trying for a foolish last stand. Go get ’em, boys!" With that, Sideline and Brink found themselves surrounded by brigands.

"I think we're in trouble..."

(to be continued)

[This message has been edited by moderator (edited 03-11-2002).]
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#2 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2002 - 11:47 PM

That was a pretty good story, you guys. Keep up the good work.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#3 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2002 - 04:23 PM

While I did discuss some of the basic ideas with him, this chapter was written almost entirely by idiotSavant. Considering it's his first chronicle, I think it's great! Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#4 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2002 - 06:56 PM

Wow, that was great! Good detail, particularly. Congrats, Ody. Posted Image

------------------
Fee, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of an Englishmuffin.

#5 User is offline   TheDarkDragon 

• Came up with this name when I was 12, don't hold it against
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2002 - 08:03 AM

A good start, look forward to reading more of it.

(700 posts! YAY!)

------------------
-TheDarkDragon
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."-Jebadiah Springfield
"The goal is to accelerate the release process incrementally until we actually tear the fabric of space-time. Each final candidate will precede the one that came before it, and eventually EV Nova will be released sometime in 1937."
-mcb 3-10-02 (release of Nova fc3)
Reality has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users