Ambrosia Software Web Board: Cythera Chronicles: Dark Legacy - part I - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Chronicles: Dark Legacy - part I

#1 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2001 - 01:29 AM

Being the first tale of The Blade and the Dragon

by cache22 and Moonshadow

<< < [url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=52&forum=*Cythera+Chronicles&DaysPrune=25&article=000069&startpoint="]http://www.AmbrosiaS...069&startpoint=[/url]>

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Prologue

Flynn rode absentmindedly southward, his thoughts already ranging far ahead.

Three days earlier, Alaric had called a council to discuss a problem facing Cythera that even he couldn't solve alone. Along with many other representatives of the various groups in good standing, Flynn had been precipitously summoned to attend.

Such an event was almost unprecedented. Flynn had heard of only one other occasion on which Alaric had sought outside help, and that was in highly unusual circumstances; whatever events had prompted the formation of this council must be extraordinary indeed. It therefore seemed a little odd to be turned away at the gate to Landking Hall, and being told it was all just a big misunderstanding.

Flynn didn't mind that at all; he missed his family. He pictured his wife and daughter, remarkably identical in appearance, standing on the porch waiting to welcome him back. His face softened into a wistful smile.

It wouldn't be long now. Just another day, and he'd be home.

--------------------------------

A Family Affair

Jadia stood at the window of her room staring out at the courtyard. She was bored. The light was growing grey with the onset of early evening, so it was too late to go riding, or to do any of the other outdoor activities she enjoyed. She turned away from the window with a sigh, walking back through the room in search of something to occupy her time.

She was a striking young woman, sixteen years of age. She'd inherited her father's deep grey eyes, but the rest of her features - from the delicately pointed ears and long, silver-white hair, to the pale skin that never tanned - she inherited from her mother. Her temperament was a difficult amalgam of both of theirs: Flynn's overbearing sense of honour and justice, combined with Moonshadow's playful adventurousness. The combination didn't make for an easy childhood.

Realising very early that their daughter's free spirit shouldn't be stifled, Flynn and Moonshadow had chosen instead to train her in all the skills that they possessed. They had a great deal of assistance, since the rest of the Ronin - Flynn's 'extended family' - took a great interest in the girl, and added whatever knowledge they were capable of imparting. Katze, Ferazel and others, who'd come to be counted among their close friends, also contributed the odd bit of knowledge now and then.

Jadia wandered out onto the porch, still searching for something to do. At that moment, an armoured rider on a chestnut mare rode through the main gate; Jadia's face lit up, and she ran to greet the visitor. "Aunt Sasha!" she exclaimed, joyously.

Sasha dismounted in time to be caught in Jadia's embrace. "Hello, little one!" she laughed.

Jadia pouted briefly at the pet name, but she couldn't stay angry at Sasha for long. "I'm so glad you're here! I've been so bored! Will you take me riding later? Or do some sword training? Have you seen Dad? How is He?"

Sasha was still laughing - the girl was such a jewel! "Slow down, little one! Let me catch my breath! I need to see your mother, so you'll have to entertain yourself a little longer; after that - well, we'll see!"

Jadia's face fell. "Oh. Mother's in the dining hall, having a meeting with the other Ronin, except Aunt Leandra, and a bunch of other people. She wouldn't let me stay."

"I expect she has her reasons. Now, I really must join them." Sasha hugged Jadia affectionately, and stepped inside.

Jadia looked after her sadly for a moment, then grinned as an idea took her fancy. Glancing around to be sure she was unobserved, she quickly put it into practice.

As a half-elf she had a natural ability to move quietly when she wished, and she'd been taught by some of the best; she had no trouble creeping silently up to the dining hall door to eavesdrop.

"What do you mean, disappeared?" Jadia frowned; she'd never before heard such a note of urgency in her mother's voice.

"Just that," Slayer responded. "Flynn never arrived for Alaric's council, and Alaric himself couldn't sense his whereabouts. That in itself shows that his disappearance must be connected with the recent strange events that have plagued Cythera, about which the council was called."

"I don't care about any of that, I just want to find my husband!"

"Steady, Moonshadow," came the voice of Ferazel. "If it's really all connected, then to solve one we must solve the other."

"Agreed," said Kwon. "We must take care to consider our best plan of action."

"Besides," Trinias added, "I pity anyone that thinks they can hold Flynn for long. Unless..." His voice grew quiet, then trailed off.

"No! He's not dead! I'd know it if he was!" Jadia found herself nodding in agreement with her mother's emphatic declaration. The very thought was absurd!

"You've missed the point," Slayer continued. "If someone has taken Flynn, then they've already held him for several days. It may be that our foes are far more powerful than we've dared imagine."

Another idea bubbled to the surface of Jadia's mind. She chewed her lip uncertainly for a moment, then crept silently away.

Inside the room, Kwon suddenly looked up and stared at the door. Stepping quietly over to it, he quickly pulled it open; he looked in puzzlement at the empty corridor, then closed the door and returned to the meeting.

It was a measure of Moonshadow's distress that she thought nothing of this incident, until hours later; and by then, it was far too late.

Jadia dismounted at the edge of Wolmark and Leandra's estate, and tied the reins of her horse to a branch. Looking towards a specific upstairs window, she saw a light. "Good," she thought, "Kurt's awake."

Silently, she crept over to a convenient tree, and expertly began to climb. Drawing level with the lighted window she saw Kurt leaning over his desk, working on some kind of blueprint. He was a tall young man, about a year older than Jadia, whose predominantly brown hair had a slight tinge of red.

Jadia tapped gently on the glass. Kurt looked up in surprise, then hurried over to open the window. "What are you doing here?"

She quickly informed him of her father's disappearance. "Everyone's just sitting around, talking, so I decided to go and find him," she concluded.

Kurt slowly shook his head, frowning. "Just like that? All by yourself?"

"Not by myself," Jadia replied in annoyance. "I'm here, aren't I? Are you coming, or not?"

Kurt sighed. "Someone's got to keep you out of trouble."

"Good, hurry up!" Jadia urged, as she climbed nimbly back down the tree.

"I just know I'm going to regret this," Kurt muttered, as he climbed out the window.

As the evening wore on, the cook entered the dining hall to consult with Moonshadow on the meal. "I haven't been able to find Jadia," she commented, almost as an afterthought. "Will she be dining with the rest of you in here?"

Moonshadow froze, her eyes wide; the memory of Kwon at the door flashed through her mind. Standing abruptly, she turned to the Ronin. "Check the grounds!"

Sasha, Trinias and Moonshadow swiftly left the room, Moonshadow to search the house, while the others went outside. In a few minutes they returned.

"She's not inside," Moonshadow began.

"Her practice armour and weapons are missing from the armoury," Sasha added.

"And her horse is also missing," Trinias completed.

"She's her father's daughter, curse it!" As harsh as the words sounded, Moonshadow's tone of voice, her gentle smile and a softness in her eyes robbed them of any offence.

Kwon pondered briefly, wearing an enigmatic smile. "What has been the single common factor, whenever something like this has happened before?" Moonshadow's and Wolmark's eyes met, as Kwon's words triggered the same thought in each of their minds.

"Kurt!" they exclaimed, in unison.

Wolmark quickly cast 'Open Nexus', opening a portal back to his home, and the five Ronin stepped through. At the threshold, Moonshadow turned back to address Slayer. "I'm sorry, but we'll be preoccupied for some time, I expect. My apologies to Alaric, but right now we can't offer any assistance with the current troubles."

"I understand," Slayer replied. "I wish you success in solving your own problems."

Moonshadow nodded and stepped through the shining disk, which abruptly vanished behind her. Slayer turned to those still present: Trundaylan, Avatara, Ferazel, Rogan and Lindus. "Without their assistance, we're severely weakened," he began. "Summon all the forces you can - all the adventurers, warriors, and the mages of Pnyx; we'll need all their help to get to the bottom of the troubles facing us. Gather at the castle in Cademia, in three days time."

With that, and several packets of sandwiches from the cook, the small group departed to their separate destinations.

Leandra looked up from her book, as Wolmark hurried inside and up the stairs. "Wolmark? What are you doing back?" She was even more surprised when Moonshadow walked in and sat down beside her.

"Jadia's gone missing," Moonshadow said, sounding annoyed.

Leandra's eyes went wide. "Kurt!" she exclaimed.

"He's not in his room," Wolmark sighed, walking back down the stairs, "and his window's open."

Leandra's eyes flashed. "I knew we should have cut down that tree!"

Sasha entered from outside, followed by the remaining Ronin. "I found Jadia's horse, tied up at the edge of the compound," she said.

"There was no sign of either Jadia or Kurt anywhere on the grounds," Kwon added. Ulf grasped the friendsooth amulet, and shook his head.

"There wouldn't be," Trinias sighed. "The zeppelin is gone."

Some distance away, the zeppelin was slowly cruising through the dark night sky. Jadia was looking ahead, impatiently. Kurt had insisted on packing several sundry items, as well as two long, cloth-wrapped tubes which were now tied to the sides of the basket; Jadia was highly annoyed by the delay.

Just after they had lifted off, Kurt had turned to her and asked: "Where did you plan on starting the search?" The question brought Jadia to an abrupt halt; she hadn't thought that far ahead.

Seeing her hesitate, Kurt had smiled smugly. "Well, we should probably start by finding out who has your father. The best source of that kind of information would come from the, shall we say, less savoury element of the population; and who do we know who moves freely in those circles?"

"Of course!" Jadia exclaimed, regaining her smile. "Katze!"

"Cademia it is, then," Kurt replied with the same smile as before. Slowly, the zeppelin began to change course.

(to be continued)

<< < [url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=52&forum=*Cythera+Chronicles&DaysPrune=25&article=000069&startpoint="]http://www.AmbrosiaS...069&startpoint=[/url]>

[This message has been edited by Slayer (edited 02-06-2002).]
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#2 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2001 - 12:43 AM

Excellent job on the chronicle! It's nice to see people teaming up on chronicles. I can't wait for the next parts.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#3 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2001 - 01:17 PM

Very nice, cache22 and MoonShadow.
Looking forward to the next part.
BTW, I'm still working on my cron...

------------------
I'll just put a random number at 0008EC and see what happens.
(Famous Last Words #-32767)

Where do you want to teleport today?
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#4 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• lift your skinny fists like antennas in germany
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2001 - 12:54 AM

Very nice work. What would you do without me in a chronicle? Posted Image

Anyway, progress on aCNiK has been going slowly, due to me being continually grounded from the computer, as well as having our network shut off and moving. Anyway, we're just about to move into a new house, so I regret saying this, but I'll be off the 'net for about a week. Sorry everyone!

------------------
Those who know the truth are not up to those who love it; those who love the truth are not up to those who delight in it.
-- Confucius (a.k.a. Kong Fuzi)
------------------
Battle.Net Screen Name: ev3-ferazel The Game: StarCraft
And we're never gonna tour again.

#5 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2001 - 09:31 PM

Ooh, very nice, you guys. Looking forward to the next part. Posted Image

Ferazel, you better post your chronicle soon!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users