Ambrosia Software Web Board: A New Argument (and in my case, Hope) - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A New Argument (and in my case, Hope)

#1 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2000 - 12:03 AM

I'm sick and tired of "Darkk vs the World" arguments, so here's one I think people can agree with me on.

How do transports capture entire planets so fast?

My answer is they don't. The major population centers are unaffected, but the spaceport/shipyard is invaded and taken over by a combination of ground troops and hacking.

------------------
*Error: target is violating the laws of physics*
*Error: target is locally exceeding c*
*Error: unable to determine if target exists or not*
*Error: target cannot be hit*
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#2 User is offline   Cotton Mouse 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Imported Banned Users

Posted 26 November 2000 - 12:24 AM

I aggree entirely.

------------------
"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice."
--Charlie Fulton

#3 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 12:25 AM

*agrees*

------------------
"Oi, oi, oi, me got a hurt n here
Oi, oi, oi, me smell a ting is near
Me gonna bosh and me gonna nosh
An da hurt'll dissapear"

#4 User is offline   Pyro 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 01:22 AM

orringinally posted by darkk
I'm sick and tired of "Darkk vs the World" arguments, so here's one I think people can agree with me on.

but those are the best kinds Posted Image

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.
nickel count: 5

#5 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
The major population centers are unaffected, but the spaceport/shipyard is invaded and taken over by a combination of ground troops and hacking.

Um, all there is on those planets is a military base. Nowhere in Ares do you have to take a planet where there is a population center. Lamont says so and it's apparent in the game. What about Earth? The only major planet with population centers needed a lot of Transports and a lot of time to capture.

I do agree on the troopers thing. Those military bases are small, mostly shipyards, and a transport filled with hundreds of troops would easily capture it.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Alduran Outlaw Rick Blazer
StarLance
[image removed]

#6 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:02 AM

That's my point.
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

macgamer.net

#7 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 November 2000 - 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Slug:
What about Earth?  The only major planet with population centers needed a lot of Transports and a lot of time to capture.

Heh heh, not really. It took the normal amount of time for me, and only one transport. The others mysteriously crashed into a green belt of asteroids floating all around.... Odd...

------------------
With war there is great amounts of death. Men and women make themselves known, doing dangerous feats in their attempt to become heroes.
Some succeed, some don't...
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#8 User is offline   htjyang 

• Stirrer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Slug:
Um, all there is on those planets is a military base. Nowhere in Ares do you have to take a planet where there is a population center. Lamont says so and it's apparent in the game. What about Earth?  The only major planet with population centers needed a lot of Transports and a lot of time to capture.

I do agree on the troopers thing. Those military bases are small, mostly shipyards, and a transport filled with hundreds of troops would easily capture it.

Personally, I agree with you.

However, for the sake of getting everyone to think of more possibilities, I need to ask you this question: What makes you think that most of the inhabitants of Earth are still there in level 20? After all, the Cantharans invaded Earth quite some time ago. Isn't it plausible that the inhabitants of Earth were sold into slavery throughout the entire Cantharan Order? Isn't it possible that the Cantharans scattered the humans throughout their domain in order to weaken their will to resist and make controlling the planet easier? We know that at least some humans remained (thanks to the epilogue). But we don't know how many.

And finally, a word to everyone: In case some of you haven't noticed, I'm very much the skeptic. Whenever people start saying things like: "Lamont says..." I get nervous. Personally, I don't believe such things unless people can actually cite certain posts Nathan Lamont made on these boards and provide me with a link to that statement. However, if I start requesting such links, other people will see me as being petty and some people will take it personally. Nothing can be further from the truth. I'm just being thorough.

I would like to suggest that we stick to what the game itself offers. (The game offers far fewer details than you might think.) It is something everyone of us have. Citing an easily verifiable source will make all of our lives that mcuh easier. Posted Image

------------------
"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"
"[T]o those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends. They encourage people of good will to remain silent in the face of evil."

- Attorney General John Ashcroft, 12/7/2001, Senate Judiciary Committee

#9 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:21 PM

Come to think of it, that might be what's the deal with all those transport: humans freed from the Canthrarans returning home.

The humans on Earth could probably fight back rather well with a good suppy of arms and some aerial support from 4 carriers, gunships, fighters, and that enhanced cruiser.

macgamer.net

#10 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2000 - 02:38 PM

Also, there is one other situation in which multiple transports are needed: CH 18.
There's a surface battle going on, ie a major military action, not just a fight for the spaceport.
Either that or the colonists aren't up to the standards of real troops.

macgamer.net

#11 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2000 - 02:34 AM

The problem with linking to conversations with Nathan Lamont is that most of them occur via AIM, email, or GameRanger. Occasionally I'll sace a dialouge but I tend to forget. And a large problem with copying dialouges is that the Ares universe is supposed to have a good deal of mystery and uncertainty; it would get awfully boring if we all knew the real reasons for Cantharan expansion, or the true story of the Audemedons, or what actually happened on Earth during occupation.

The story is incomplete and thus our minds tend to fill in the blanks with imagination and intuition, which has had some interesting results. If I had known the things about the Ares universe I do now when I started the RPG, it would have developed in a much different direction. This isn't to say I'm completely dissatisfied with it- indeed it has opened up many new realms of possibility of it's own- only that with different minute facts it may have been radically different.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#12 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2000 - 10:42 AM

I think we should know more details, though. Right now, we don't really know much, except the info in Ares, of which there isn't much.

------------------
"Oi, oi, oi, me got a hurt n here
Oi, oi, oi, me smell a ting is near
Me gonna bosh and me gonna nosh
An da hurt'll dissapear"

#13 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2000 - 02:34 PM

Lets only use the info in Ares, then. I'm only using:
[list=1]
[*]stuff from Ares
[*]examples from history/real life/real theories on stuff related to Ares like the military
[*]extrapolation from the above
[*]and any other relevant, documentable sources
[/list=a]
in all my arguments and no "Nathan Lamont sez".

------------------
*Error: target is violating the laws of physics*
*Error: target is locally exceeding c*
*Error: unable to determine if target exists or not*
*Error: target cannot be hit*

[This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 11-27-2000).]

macgamer.net

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users