Ambrosia Software Web Board: We need something to argue about! - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We need something to argue about!

#1 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2000 - 09:17 PM

It's too boring without one. I thought of some more arguments for Ares vs Star Wars, but they're not going to change anybody's position (although they reinforce mine).

Can anyone remember any good arguments that actually have fair sides (me vs you all wasn't very fair, except for the fact I had a really good argument at first glance)?

------------------
*Error: target is violating the laws of physics*
*Error: target is locally exceeding c*
*Error: unable to determine if target exists or not*
*Error: target cannot be hit*
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#2 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2000 - 11:09 PM

Maybe we should invite OctoberFost back then

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
-Alduran Outlaw Rick Blazer
StarLance
[image removed]

#3 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2000 - 11:30 PM

If Ares were to continue for 100 years, what would the universe be like?

I think that'd make for a pretty good argument. What do you guys say?

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

#4 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2000 - 11:44 PM

I'd say humans steal tech and kill all who don't bow to them. Who's with me?

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

macgamer.net

#5 User is offline   Troben-Kyen 

Posted 22 November 2000 - 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
I'd say humans steal tech and kill all who don't bow to them. Who's with me?

Definitely, what else would humans do, help enlighten all other races and live peacefully. HA! That would be the day.

------------------
"Life is pain your Highness, any one who says differently is selling some thing"-Dread Pirate Roberts - The Princess Bride
"Somtimes I think the surest sign that there's intellegent life out there is that it hasn't tried to contact us"-Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

#6 User is offline   DeathVal 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
It's too boring without one. I thought of some more arguments for Ares vs Star Wars, but they're not going to change anybody's position (although they reinforce mine).

Can anyone remember any good arguments that actually have fair sides (me vs you all wasn't very fair, except for the fact I had a really good argument at first glance)?

What are you talking about, I beat you with my Force arguement, Star Destroyer 72 fighters, 120 wepaons, arguements, and ion cannon areguements, just wish I could speel so that everyone would be abel to understand my arguements

------------------
*insert famous line from either StarWars, Myth 2, Marathon Trilogy, Ares, StarCraft, Ultima Online, or from Ender's Quartet here*

#7 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2000 - 11:25 PM

Originally posted by DeathVal:
What are you talking about, I beat you with my Force arguement, Star Destroyer 72 fighters, 120 wepaons, arguements, and ion cannon areguements, just wish I could speel so that everyone would be abel to understand my arguements

Shields. My shield argument has new support. However, I'm not posting it as noone will concede.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 11-22-2000).]

macgamer.net

#8 User is offline   DeathVal 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 09:21 AM

If it has anything to do with astroids then its not new support.

------------------
*insert famous line from either StarWars, Myth 2, Marathon Trilogy, Ares, StarCraft, Ultima Online, or from Ender's Quartet here*

#9 User is offline   Pyro 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 11:08 AM

i can post a topic that might wake up the boards but i have to talk it over with the mods(slug knows what im talking about). I dont think ill do it though

------------------
"Who's next?"
-- Champion Maxwell Mokrev to an underling after leaping a fortress wall, killing 19 enemy SpaceMen, jumping into a tank, and crashing through all of the walls of the fortress, leaving nothing standing.
nickel count: 5

#10 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 11:13 AM

It does and it is. I blow your "disproof" of my asteroid argument out of the water. I can still prove that they have weaker shields than fighters, even though the shields were down at the time, because an SD's shields are about 2x its armor.

In Ares measurements, that would be 30 or less total. For refrence, Ishiman fighters have 100, and many heavy ships can do 100 damage in one shot. Even if the ion cannons you rave about worked right through shields, they'd never have the chance to use them while Ishiman fighters with photokinetic beams doing 30 damage would be picking them off with ONE SHOT.

However, I don't think the ion cannons work. Star Wars ships need major repairs after ion cannon attacks, but Ares ships recover almost as soon as they stop being tracked/hit by the jamming weapons.

No Star Wars weapon present during that time (the period spanned by the first trilogy) except the superlaser could take out a fighter in one shot, let alone a carrier or gunship, because no Star Wars weapon present during that time (the period spanned by the first trilogy) except the superlaser could take out a star destroyer with one shot.

These are irrefutable facts. Bow to my mad reasoning skilz Posted Image

------------------

macgamer.net

#11 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 12:40 PM

I would make a big paragraph and disprove all of your arguments there (seriously), but I'm tired, 'cause I just got up, and I'd never get anywhere, and so it really wouldn't do any good. I say somebody locks the topic before we get all out of hand with this. We've already got an argument going, we don't need to continue on one that nobody will change their minds on.

------------------
"You can get much further with kind words and a loaded gun than you can with kind words alone."
- Al Capone

#12 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2000 - 01:26 PM

There is no way to disprove my argument. None of these facts are in dispute:
[list=1]
[*] The asteroid totally demolishes the SD's command tower.
[*] Asteroids in Ares (except green) do 10 damage
[*] Eyeball estimates of the relative sizes of x-wings, the Millineum Falcon, SD bridges, asteroids in the Hoth belt, cantharan fighters and Ares asteroids indicate Ares asteroids aren't smaller and may even be bigger. The composition is likely the same: almost all asteroids are either carbonacious or nickle-iron, and the masses wouldn't be very much different.
[*] Star Destroyers have shields twice as strong as their armor. This can be proved by the "table of how much firepower is needed to kill stuff" from the TIE fighter offical strategy guide. To destroy a Imperial-class Star Destroyer, it takes 48 proton torpedos to bring down the shields, and another 24 to breach the hull. The ratios for all other munitions is about the same.
[*] Star Destroyers have <=10 armor in Ares units, and thus <=20 shields, for a total of <=30.
[*] Ishiman fighters have 100 shields. Photokinetic beams do 30 damage.
[/list=a]

The conclusion is obvious: the Empire has zip chance.

[Stupid board, it's not letting me use greater-than-or-equals characters.]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 11-23-2000).]

macgamer.net

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users