• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ask About

#1 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

I decided to record the followers' responses to "ask about" questions. You can ask a follower about any prop (is that the right term?), but for the vast majority they only answer "Looks like (a) [whatever you clicked on]." (Hector/Meleager) or "I'd say it is (a) [whatever you clicked on]." (Timon). For example, if you ask Timon about the book that he wrote, he'll say "I'd say it is a book." You know it's terrible when even the author has no interest in it. Note that only Hector, Meleager, and Timon respond to "ask about"s; Aethon, Ariadne, and Dryas do not.

I've been looking for props that will get a unique response from Hector, Meleager, or Timon. I've found that Hector and Meleager respond to most weapons, shields, and armor (and in most cases, their responses are identical, though Meleager will tell you a little more about blunt weapons). Meleager also responds to rope and moss. Timon will respond to alchemy ingredients (telling you what potions they make), and also responds to several other magical items. Hector and Timon will both respond to the LandKing amulet. So far I've tried all the items, but you can ask about other props too, like beds, statues, altars, etc.; and I'm having trouble finding any that will give a unique response. So far the only ones I've found are Meleager's response to moss, and Timon's response to tomes. Can anyone find any others (or have suggestions for me to try)?

Here's all the responses I have so far:
Hector
Spoiler

Meleager:
Spoiler

Timon:
Spoiler

I'll become even more undignified than this

#2 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

Can you ask about people/corpses?

#3 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Yes, but I haven't found any unique responses this way. For example,
Meleager: Looks like Aethon.
Me: Oh okay, I thought his name was "punk."

Or,
Timon: I'd say it is a seldane.
Me: Ah, that seldane degree is really paying off, isn't it?

I also transcribed all the item descriptions I could find by examining items, and the little messages you get by certain actions, maybe eventually I'll get around to pasting those in here.

#4 User is offline   BryceSchroeder 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

Aethon has a bunch of ask-about dialogue that doesn't work due to a bug. You can view it with ReDelv; I don't remember what it was. (I think I also fixed it in the last patch, if anyone actually used it.)

#5 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

It's awesome to see you, Bryce! ^_^ I'm glad you haven't been devoured by medical school or your many other projects yet! I actually forgot that you fixed Aethon's dialogue, I'll have to go back and collect that too ^_^ I was being lazy and playing on my newer computer, which doesn't have the bugfix-patch because I can't install redelv for... some kind of technical reason... Wizzy explained it better than I am :\ But I still have access to redelv and the bugfix-patch on my other computer!

#6 User is offline   wizard1 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, the problem I'm having with Redelv is that it won't run on recent Macs because of the GTK version. Redelv uses GTK 2, and GTK 3 deprecated a lot of calls, but it's the only version I've been able to get installed on my machine. Not sure why it's been so problematic. I tried to port some of Redelv to GTK 3, but it proved more involved than I could get into at the time. Anyways, that was the same issue with your laptop, BW. The linux laptop can run Redelv, but you'd have to work in an HFS volume to preserve the resource fork.

Regarding "Ask About," it's a useful game mechanic. I suppose gandreas put it in thinking it could provide helpful tips to the player, but it was underutilized in Cythera. The potion and weapon info is a good reference; it's just too bad he didn't get more responses written. My favorite example is asking Timon about a Seldane to be told "It looks like a Seldane." Nothing gets past him!

#7 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:21 PM

Heehee, you rock Wizzy :D

Well, my attempt to boot up my Linux laptop failed :( Maybe it died, or maybe I'm being stupid and doing something wrong...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users