• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let's Play Cythera Let's make one

#26 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:32 AM

Given the size of the recorded data files (at least in the experiments that Wizard ran), I'm not sure that reading all the dialogue would be very efficient. Perhaps, the dialogue could be shown so that people could pause the video to read it? This might be a bit inefficient in regards to the time of the viewer, but it would enable one to make the video size smaller

Also, I agree that Mack should narrate this :P .
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#27 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:46 AM

I was intending to upload to youtube, instead of say, hosting the files.

#28 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, the scope of Cythera would make for files way too big to host anyway, so I think it's best to go ahead and read the dialogue.

#29 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

[useless information]
For the record, I think Selax is referring to the number of parts of a video walkthrough that includes dialogue. Youtube wouldn't have a problem hosting a bunch of huge files, I just don't know how efficient it would be. I don't remember any of the actual sizes of the videos I tried recording so I'll make up a bunch of numbers, but as an example, if you were to create 10 minute videos following one part from another, you might have a 75 megabyte file per part. Without reading dialogue, but leaving it up for a few frames so users can pause and read it if they like, you could probably get through Omen's Test, get Hector to join you, and get outside and exploring around in the first ten minutes. If you were to add dialogue, in the first ten minutes you might reach Omen's Test. Remember that Alaric is very talkative in the beginning and Omen likes to give long speeches as well. By the time you finished the game, you might have 3 or 4 times as many parts with dialogue than without. That would be a lot of videos to download for nearly the same content. That's my way of thinking, I may just be lazy :P but I think summarizing the dialogue and clicking through it slowly enough for users to pause and read it would be the best route.
[/useless information]

Mind you, I have absolutely no problem if someone wants to read funny dialogue for the game; it would be quite fun :lol:
Wizard

#30 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:33 AM

I'm expecting the length of the let's play to be in the hours. :P

#31 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

While I know that reading the dialogue will make the Let's Play a LOT longer, I still vote for reading. Remember, it's not a merely a video walkthrough :)

However, if the narrator (hopefully Nezmy :D) doesn't want to go to all the extra trouble, I'd understand that too. It would make the project take a lot longer to record and to upload, plus you might get a sore throat from all that reading!
I'll become even more undignified than this

#32 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

Honestly I'm not worried about the dialog, that'll be easy (except for maybe making a bunch of different voices, maybe only unique ones for important characters?) more time will likely be spent on actual commentary and explanation.

#33 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

This would be a good example of the voice changing I'd be doing:

And this would be a better example of how the actual let''s play would take place:

#34 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

I really like those examples, Two Jacks. If you don't mind doing the narration and commentary, I think it's a great idea!
Wizard

#35 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

Of course I don't mind!

Just need the set-up first!

#36 User is offline   adam_0 

• Bi-winning
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:09 AM

My two cents on doing a Let's Play for Cythera:

First, reading all of the dialogue, while fun and entertaining and awesome, would make the Let's Play take absolutely FOREVER. The point of a Let's Play is not only to show off the game, but to allow the viewer to play through the game quickly (I stress, quickly) without them owning a copy of the game. I hate to be a downer but I just don't think it's realistic. Having the narrator summarize conversations would be a much more efficient use of time - it is a YouTube video after all, the users can pause the video at any time!

Secondly, since Cythera seems to be based around quests, perhaps each section of the Let's Play should be organized by quest. That way a viewer could explore the many different ways that Cythera could be played by playing out the quests in a manner of their choosing (provided that they are told what prerequisites the quests have and whatnot). The only thing about that idea is that if the viewer skips around, then events would happen out of order - people would be in the party at one point, but not at another, and this could lead to confusion.

I have more ideas but it's 2 am and I am quite tired. Just thought I'd throw in a couple ideas while I noticed the topic...
... my other ride is an Ishiman Heavy Cruiser.

(x)enos. Awesome in a can. Without the can, though.

#37 User is offline   TheMuseInYourHead 

• Satu
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

I'm for the dialog

voice changes are a must
just remember not to make them all British!
I hate it when people do that

except for Alaric, I think his voice should sound like Sean Connery

#38 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostTheMuseInYourHead, on 16 March 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

I'm for the dialog

voice changes are a must
just remember not to make them all British!
I hate it when people do that

except for Alaric, I think his voice should sound like Sean Connery

Haha! Me too!

Actually if people want to put together lists of what they think certain characters sound like, that would be helpful. Also I still have no idea how female voices are going to go over, either because I'm too embarassed to make my voice that high pitched or I just don't possess the ability (it's sound terrible regardless :P).

#39 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Dialogue would definitely be freaking awesome, but adam's prolly right. Maybe reading key dialogues, but not every single one.

#40 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

How are you doing with this, Two Jacks? Is Snapz Pro what you plan to use for the screen recording, or did you find another option?
Wizard

#41 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have the new hard drive and power cords. I'm really just waiting or my parents to get me my OS 9 installer disc and cables to hook up the external drive. I haven't even gotten to the apps stage of this yet.

#42 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Update?

#43 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

So I ran into some problems with my external drive. For some reason it needs software on the computer to access it. However the software doesn't run on my version of OS 9 from the installer disc. I need 9.2. I tried downloading and transferring over the updates from another computer but the 9.2.2 update would never work right. Anyways there's other small things. I don't know if a fresh install has everything needed to run games. I get errors when trying to lay some ASW games.

After everything there seemed to be problems in the computer from the updates or whatever. I had to start over, and according to adam the best course of action would be to install from the disc and then give the computer life support internet to (via an Ethernet cable) so it's own automatic update can do it's thing.

I moved recently so I actually have unreliable internet I may be able to use, the main thing is just getting the time to actually do it.

I know I personally always hated this excuse when I heard it, but right now things are rough for me. Hopefully because of this move (and significantly cheaper rent) things will finally start getting easier and clearer. At the moment though I still have a ways to go.

My OS9 tower and monitor are boxed at the moment, just waiting for me to give it another go, and I will.. eventually. Sorry to crush hopes of something coming out of this soon, but this is how it's going to be.

I think it's clear that if could I'd be doing it right now, but all this building for it is just too much right now. Heh, living on your own is tough.

#44 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Aww, poor Nezmy. I knew the news wouldn't be good or I'd've heard it already. I hope you don't feel obligated to do the Let's Play - it's not like anyone else has put any work into it yet, and I also hope everything is going well for you now ^_^

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users