Ambrosia Software Web Board: Dividing food - Ambrosia Software Web Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dividing food Research and speculations…

#1 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Well I think we’ve all established that the dividing food process in Cythera is rather buggy, and can lead to the appearance of mushroom steaks and edible strange devices. I stumbled across something else odd with it, which led me to question exactly how it works. I opened up a game which had the mushroom steak isolated in my inventory and only Hector as a follower (with nothing in his inventory). I picked up two more food items (a flatbread (not homemade) and a meatpie) and divided food. I found that no matter how many times I divided food, it would never give Hector the bread, instead alternating between mushroom steak and meatpie. Moreover, the process would always start by giving Hector the steak, and when I divide again, it would swap the steak and the meatpie, and repeat each time I divide food. I tried giving Hector the bread, and it always gives me the bread and the steak and Hector the meatpie. This leads me to believe that the process is not as random as it seems, and due to 453’s ongoing quest to figure out the mushroom steak, I thought it might be worth researching further. Maybe. :P Anyway I thought I’d post that, and we’re a few topics away from a second page, so yeah.

#2 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

Just one minor off topic quick question: What is the point of hunger? I often just leave my characters hungry, and nothing seems to happen to them.

#3 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

I think they won’t heal or (for Timon) regain mana, but I’m not sure.

#4 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I think maybe this post would be more fitting here than on the odd items topic.. Or maybe it should go on the which class are you topic? @_@

View PostSeldane, on 06 February 2011 - 04:05 AM, said:

1. Started a new game, as rogue.
2. Did Omen's test and got the ring.
3. Talked to Emesa and said food four times.
4. Got Hector to join me.
5. Immediately after that, I split the food - once. I got the edible strange device right away.

Thanks for posting those details, Seldane! I tried it myself and got the edible strange device as well ^_^ I tried it again with an Explorer and then with a Swordsman, but no edible strange device. Starting as a Rogue seems to be the key. It makes me wonder if the mushroom steak is the same way, except I'm pretty sure I.M.Cheater is an explorer, right?
I'll become even more undignified than this

#5 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Well I was not really focusing on the mushroom steak and the edible strange device with this topic, more on the mechanics of divide food in general, but… :P

#6 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

View PostBreadWorldMercy453, on 10 February 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Thanks for posting those details, Seldane! I tried it myself and got the edible strange device as well ^_^ I tried it again with an Explorer and then with a Swordsman, but no edible strange device. Starting as a Rogue seems to be the key. It makes me wonder if the mushroom steak is the same way, except I'm pretty sure I.M.Cheater is an explorer, right?

That's really strange that only the Rogue seems to get the edible strange device. We should test the rest of the classes, too. It's obviously not random under the correct circumstances, but I wonder what those circumstances are. Maybe a character's skills affect this, or maybe the body/reflex/mind? Have you tried the Storyteller? They have the same starting stats as a Rogue.

View PostBuzzzzy, on 10 February 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Well I was not really focusing on the mushroom steak and the edible strange device with this topic, more on the mechanics of divide food in general, but… :P

Regarding divide food itself, I'm also really curious how it works. We know that most foods are listed towards the top of the inventory, but certain foods, such as hand-baked bread and the edible strange device, are grouped later in the inventory. Where does the mushroom steak appear in the inventory? Maybe each item has a byte that determines its importance, and thus, where the engine will place it in the inventory. Perhaps divide food starts with the earliest listed food item and works downward? There's also the added complexity of stacking foods. Some foods don't stack as I recall, but some do. I wonder how divide food deals with that.
Wizard

#7 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

View PostThe Wizard, on 12 February 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

That's really strange that only the Rogue seems to get the edible strange device. We should test the rest of the classes, too. It's obviously not random under the correct circumstances, but I wonder what those circumstances are. Maybe a character's skills affect this, or maybe the body/reflex/mind? Have you tried the Storyteller? They have the same starting stats as a Rogue.

It seems that it’s actually even simpler than Seldane’s instructions. If you play as a rogue, and have at least one follower, dividing food the first time (I think you need at least one food but I’m not sure) will immediately generate an edible strange device. This does not work on any other character type. :(

View PostThe Wizard, on 12 February 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

We know that most foods are listed towards the top of the inventory, but certain foods, such as hand-baked bread and the edible strange device, are grouped later in the inventory. Where does the mushroom steak appear in the inventory?

In the same place as hand-baked bread and the edible strange device, however both have individual behaviors ("Not very good" (steak) and not curing hunger (device)) and neither can be buttered (:P), so they are not treated as hand-baked bread in-game, just grouped with them.

#8 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

Does any other food item give the "not very good" message? I was thinking "strange meat" but that's in Avernum!

#9 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

It seems to be unique to the steak, which is strange since no other food in the game seems to have a unique response.

#10 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

I thought kelp had that response as well?

#11 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

The kelp isn't edible... wait, did you find another bug food item? :o
I'll become even more undignified than this

#12 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

I have eaten kelp, I'm positive.

Like, 90%.

This post has been edited by Two Jacks: 12 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

#13 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

I checked both kelps found in the game, and neither were edible. :\ I guess it was another food bug. Do you have any savefiles with edible kelp?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users