• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cythera Hintbook

#26 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

Nice to see you around again, Seldane. :)

My evil scheme to force you to log in seems to have worked!

One item of interest is that Anisa claims (in the game) that the First Tyrant exiled the Mages, while the hintbook states the Second did so.
Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#27 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

I took a few pictures of the hintbook a little bit ago. I put them in an album on Photobucket. The picture quality is really poor, and the lighting is bad, but I hope it at least gives you an idea of what it looks like. The first chapter is just a few pages, the actual "hint" part of the book is only three pages, and the spoilers section is the largest after the maps section, maps being most of the book. This is probably the best quality I can easily get short of scanning the book. I'm too afraid to do that, but I do think it would be nice if Ambrosia uploaded the original file this print was made from, if they still have it.
Wizard

#28 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

Nice pics wizard! I still want one! :P

#29 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

If you want one, you should email Ambrosia :P They might have more left. Wizzy was the only one who told me he wanted one before I emailed them!
I'll become even more undignified than this

#30 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thank you Wizard, those are awesome.

#31 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

I want one too, but I assume they don't ship internationally, considering it's not an item they officially sell any more. :unsure: I don't know why I came to this conclusion. Maybe I should ask them instead of make assumptions. Maybe I shouldn't even submit this post, as it serves no point.

Posting anyway. Sorry!

Also, just my luck. The pictures do not work for me. The first one does, but all the others just show up as black boxes. This is an error that I have never encountered before. Probably a bug in the Minefield browser that I'm using.

This post has been edited by Seldane: 07 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

#32 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

I suppose I could email them again if everyone else is too shy to do it...
I'll become even more undignified than this

#33 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Yes, and order 20 copies just in case. :P

#34 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, 453 never told me she was ordering them. :P I got left out.

#35 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Amazing. I asked them about it too (why didn't I try that years ago?) and they offered to send me one, even though I live on the other side of the world. :) So nice. So very, very nice. I even feel a bit guilty, maybe I should re-register Cythera to show my support! :)

#36 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

That's really amazing, Seldane, how much Ambrosia cares for their customers. I can't think of any other company that would do such a thing for such an old game.

On the topic of the hintbook, has it arrived yet? Despite my seemingly disparaging comments earlier, I've actually become pretty fond of the hintbook. It's like having a Cythera collector's item :P
Wizard

#37 User is offline   Seldane 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:18 AM

View PostThe Wizard, on 22 February 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

That's really amazing, Seldane, how much Ambrosia cares for their customers. I can't think of any other company that would do such a thing for such an old game.

On the topic of the hintbook, has it arrived yet? Despite my seemingly disparaging comments earlier, I've actually become pretty fond of the hintbook. It's like having a Cythera collector's item :P

Oh, sorry! I somehow forgot to report on the delivery. It arrived on friday! Definitely a very cool book! Thanks again, Ambrosia! :)

I love the book of course, and yes it is kind of like a Cythera collector's item. I will treasure this book forever. Maybe in the future, when the trilogy is complete and famous (hey, one can dream, right?), this book will be worth a fortune, hehe.

The only disappointment is that it is very straight to the point, with no real storyline explanations or info, but I suppose that is perfectly understandable, considering it wasn't Gandreas who wrote it (minus the intro by Anisa, most likely - considering this part was originally written on the Delver website before the game had been released). I don't think Gandreas ever got to proof read this book - and it probably stung a little to see all those incorrect statements in there. It really does call the Undine Seldane (and in part, Seldine). Judging from this book, it's like the Seldane was having a war with themselves. :)

#38 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

View PostSeldane, on 23 February 2011 - 02:18 AM, said:

The only disappointment is that it is very straight to the point, with no real storyline explanations or info, but I suppose that is perfectly understandable, considering it wasn't Gandreas who wrote it (minus the intro by Anisa, most likely - considering this part was originally written on the Delver website before the game had been released).

I agree, the hintbook doesn't give any more information about the game than is already available in the game itself, except for the history part at the beginning.

It's extremely interesting that the history foreword was taken directly from the old Delver site. I never realized this because, if you go to the waybackmachine's copy of the old Delver's history page (here is one such example), it does not show anything on the page. I can only assume that this is due to the way the page is written that it does not display on modern browsers or that the waybackmachine has a glitch that is not properly displaying all the contents of the page. The content is indeed there, however. If you view the page source, you can see all of the history information that is available in the hintbook. For some reason, it just doesn't display on the page.
Wizard

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users