• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A new topic! Long-winded story included free of charge

#1 User is offline   Zortrium 

• Crazed primate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

I know, I already contributed my post to ATT this month, but I'm posting again to go above and beyond the call of duty. I also like the idea of posting a long-winded story where it's least likely to be read. My story may not be as interesting or involve as many threats of bodily harm as Pufer's tend to, but hopefully it will be worthwhile nonetheless.

I purchased a top of the line 24" iMac about a year and a half ago to replace an out-of-warranty 17" iMac that was suffering from a fried logic board and possibly power supply. The new iMac served me well up until a month ago when the display decided to turn off in the middle of a game of Warcraft. The computer itself seemed to be functional, as iTunes was still playing in the background, but nothing would make the screen turn back on (which, on the upside, meant that I avoided the messages of "omg u noob! move ur units idiot or ill ban you" etc). The display came on about a half hour later while I wasn't even using the computer, but must've misinterpreted the 'once you go black' expression, because as soon as I came back over it shut off again and wouldn't come back on.

The next day I packaged it up and brought it over to my local Apple store, which unfortunately involved schlepping the 40 pound box through the mall and waiting several minutes for the elevator due to the large contingent of people who apparently needed to use the elevator rather than the stairs to go down one level to the food court and thought that the guy with the big-ass computer box should wait...but I digress. After arriving at the Apple store and waiting for some guy with an amazingly somewhat functional PowerBook G3 (huh.gif) to get done at the Genius bar (I think he left disappointed), they diagnosed me with a dead video card. Luckily I'd purchased AppleCare, so I figured I'd just pick up the machine in a few days and all would be well.

A few days later I came to pick up my machine, hauled it back through the mall, drove the 45 minutes back home, hauled it up the stairs to my apartment, set it up on my desk, and started using it. A few minutes later it occurred to me that I probably should've tested it in the store. You see, the technicians at the Apple store had apparently replaced the video card with one that instead of shutting off induced Flash-o'-Death syndrome. My computer would now usually stay on for about one to five minutes before the screen would brightly flash once and the computer would completely freeze, display and all. In addition, the screen would occasionally exhibit rainbow-colored static across the bottom part of the screen that looked pretty cool but signaled the impending death of whatever I was trying to do at the time. So the next day I packaged it up again, drove back to the mall, hauled it to the Apple store, and detailed my story, complete with low-quality videos shot from my laptop's webcam of my iMac crashing and burning. The genius didn't seem to have any great ideas as to what the problem was other than possibly the logic board, but told me that since I'd already brought my computer in they'd bump it to the front of the repair queue and get back to me in a few days. He looked at me weird when I told him that I'd changed my randomly generated 11-digit admin password from last time, but took down my new one after checking that I hadn't also changed the login name.

Close to a week later after making several phone calls trying to get information, all I found out what that they'd replaced the logic board and it hadn't fixed the problems. Doing all my work on a 13" laptop in the meantime was getting pretty old, so I took this as a cue to hope that they'd fail to fix the problem and offer me a shiny replacement instead. To my disappointment, they phoned me a day later to tell me that they'd replaced 1) the logic board, 2) the power supply, and 3) the graphics card (again) and that the computer was now working just fine. So I made the 4th trip to the mall, brought my computer back, and started using it. Apart from the annoyance that they'd changed my admin password and reset my open firmware password (maybe the genius took down my second password wrong?), the computer itself seemed to be functional again.

All was well for about two weeks. Until a few days ago, when I decided to try out Warcraft again and my display remembered what that was a cue for and turned itself off. A few minutes later the computer froze. After rebooting, it lasted about 15 minutes before deciding that opening a PDF was too much strain and froze again. At that point I'd had enough of computer surgeries (and the top of my box was starting to wear out from being used so much) so I called AppleCare for the third time and told the guy I wanted a replacement. He told me that it was standard policy to only offer a replacement after 3 repairs, though I pointed out that each repair had apparently failed to fix the underlying problem. He went and talked to his supervisor before coming back and repeating the same thing back to me ("go wait for an unknown period of time to have it repaired again, then call us if there are any further problems"). I told him to connect me to customer relations, which got me on the phone with a friendly woman who told me she'd go talk to somebody and see if an exception could be made. A few minutes later, she came back on and told me that they'd like me to have it 'repaired' again. I was pretty close to giving up at that point, but stayed on the phone for a bit to protest, note how poorly my AppleCare support experience was going, and so forth. After a while she agreed to go talk to another unknown party and see if anything could be done. And finally, after a 5th time on hold, she came back and told me they could offer me a shiny new 27" iMac as a replacement. She even let me pay a little money to upgrade to the quad-core version and threw in the Core i7 upgrade for free.

So that's pretty much my story. I'm waiting for my vastly superior new machine to arrive in the mail, at which point I'll be able to fedex off my old box and not have to haul it around anymore. Obviously I consider my AppleCare a $120 well-spent (ooh, a moral! buy your AppleCare, kids) and am now quite satisfied with my support experience.

Of course, a topic isn't really a topic unless more than one person has something to post about, so I invite you all to regale us with tales of all things received for free. Especially those which involve blood, sweat, and tears to receive.
It's all fun and games until a rampaging mod destroys half your account.
Commander of the AAS and Supreme Ruler of ZAP.

"Bad Avatara."
-- from the topic closings of Sundered Angel, Official Lektorian and founder of SONAH.

#2 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

I do believe that the last items I received for free were several DiSaronno T-shirts with which to cushion the very considerable amount of glassware I was carrying out of the premises of a licensed purveyor of spiritous beverages.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#3 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:30 AM

I got some free steel mixing bowls for buying a cooking pot set.

When I had the black screen problem on my iBook, they just replaced the entire display and that seemed to fix it.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#4 User is offline   TheLoser 

• Digging for fire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

I had to pull ivy for about 4 months to get my G5, this was about 5 years ago now. It sucked balls, there was definitely blood and sweat. Also I dreamed the ivy came to life in sort of a humanoid shape. Had to chop through a root the width of my arm with a rusty hatchet, can't remember if that was a dream or not. Seemed pretty real, lost the hatchet though. The reward was oh so sweet though, still have that beast of a desktop.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
"Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things"

#5 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (TheLoser @ Feb 17 2010, 11:11 PM)
It sucked balls, there was definitely blood and sweat.

Hmm...

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#6 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Pufer just got a new fantasy for free.
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#7 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

I would not want to be in Pufer's head when he's thinking of his fantasies.

That guy aint right...
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#8 User is offline   GutlessWonder 

• Guilty Light
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

They're not fantasies if you try them out, and really, if the opportunity came up, why not? As long as the free-will of someone else isn't violated, and it brings you pleasure, there shouldn't be any other limits. Make the world your playground, and you'll always have something to play with.
"This world is set to break me"
@-/--
{A broken life is not a broken soul}

#9 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

That sounds like something you've said to yourself to convince yourself that whatever you did/want to do is ok.

What sort of sick, twisted fantasy do you have?!?! wink.gif
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

#10 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

So, the question comes up: If you were trapped in a room with your clone -- which was guaranteed to die after an hour -- would you fight it or ###### it?
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#11 User is offline   GutlessWonder 

• Guilty Light
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

I just can't make myself feel attracted to other men, and my own body I do not really find all that appealing even in a non-gay fashion. But the chance to sit down and talk to myself in a way that would help me judge myself the way that other people see me? That would be priceless.
@-/--

#12 User is offline   oryhara 

• aayyyyyy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Rickton @ Feb 25 2010, 09:14 PM)
So, the question comes up: If you were trapped in a room with your clone -- which was guaranteed to die after an hour -- would you fight it or ###### it?

... How long would my clone last before I entered the room? Does he live only for an hour? I ain't ######in' no babies...

If he could talk, I would have a lengthy conversation with him. If he couldn't talk, I would leave him alone.
Bella: "Wait... You say you heard what they were thinking? So what you.. you read minds.."
Edward: "I can read every mind in this room, apart from yours. Money, sex, money, sex, cat.. and then you, nothing."

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

#13 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

So I tried to kill myself the other day, but he got away.

#14 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Rickton @ Feb 25 2010, 07:14 PM)

Given that my clone is getting a pretty raw deal in this, I think I'd at least give him a blowjob. I can't imagine why I'd decide to fight him.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#15 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

That's awfully sporting of you.

If you could reach your own genitals, would you give yourself a blow job?
-- Tom Sims

#16 User is offline   GutlessWonder 

• Guilty Light
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Lektor @ Feb 26 2010, 03:12 PM)
That's awfully sporting of you.

Of course. Then again, if this is related the clone question, probably not, but it all depends on how the evening develops.
@-/--

#17 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Lektor @ Feb 26 2010, 02:12 PM)

###### yeah.

-Pufer

#18 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure I could go through with it.

I wouldn't be able to look at myself the same way ever again...
-- Tom Sims

#19 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Talk to yourself? A man can do that for free.
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#20 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

It's the only way I get any decent conversation.
-- Tom Sims

#21 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Now I know how the devastating Clone Rebellion will be triggered.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#22 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

It'll be brutal but short lived, especially if they only live for a few hours...
-- Tom Sims

#23 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Lately I've been having some issues with my laptop speakers. Popping noises, and even a few feedback-like high pitched blasts of sound. It's under AppleCare, still, but what a pain.
mrxak.com | twitter.com/mrxak
Super Moderator - EVDC | U | EV | D | R | DC | M
_/\__
In the light of morning the sun climbs upon the shoulder of the sky / I yearn for the tender darkness.

#24 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

View Postmrxak, on 18 August 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

Lately I've been having some issues with my laptop speakers. Popping noises, and even a few feedback-like high pitched blasts of sound. It's under AppleCare, still, but what a pain.

Cool story, bro.
-- Tom Sims

#25 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

So, the question comes up: If you were trapped in a room with some dying laptop speakers -- which were guaranteed to die after an hour -- would you fight them or ###### them?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users