Ambrosia Software Web Board: On Cythera Savefile Hacking - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

On Cythera Savefile Hacking Its limits

#26 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Two Jacks @ Apr 7 2009, 07:50 PM)
Bryce, you mentioned you working on a team and that you all are working on making an open-source RPG engine. So when you in your short answer that you'll probably Change the engine, I'm assuming it's after your team is done with the current project. So will you be doing it alone or will you have help?

I don't know when I'd do it in relation to finishing the other project, but it's sort of immaterial since I don't have the authorization or code I need to proceed at this time, and I don't know when, if ever, that situation will change. I don't know if I will need additional programmers, but I don't think so. One of the other people working on Ostendi is the programmer you know here as ferazel_09, so I'm sure he'd be willing to provide assistance on a Cythera port if I needed it. If it goes the open-source route, the more the merrier.

From what I can tell, and from what I've seen, all it takes is someone like you to give that initial push and then all the pieces will fall into place.
With Xsera all it took was RedSteven to convine Nathan Lamont to give out some code and programmers joined together.

We'll see how things go. I'm cautiously optimistic.
"Programming is an art form that fights back."

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#27 User is offline   Buzzzzy 

• ¯\ô_°/¯
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Glancing over the frog stuff, I was wondering for a moment if this was an April Fools joke…then I read the rest of the topic and saw that it was real. blink.gif

Frankly, while I love Cythera, I can’t find myself getting enormously interested in an editor, but I guess that’s just me. A sequel, maybe, but if it isn’t Glenn doing it, it probably wouldn’t be the same.

#28 User is offline   Selax 

• Lord Rapierian of the Sith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:47 AM

(I'm afraid that I don't have much time for an extensive reply to this. I shall try to write more in a day or two.)

I sincerely hope that this topic and the proposed idea of a new engine for Cythera have not died already. The idea has potential, I think.

Perhaps, it might be wise to assemble a team of people willing to work on the project and then ask gandreas for the data?

Long Live Cythera! Long Live the Cythera Web Board!

I now run a TS Character Killing Service.

Selax

#29 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I think that Bryce (and others previously) has expressed that GAndreas has proven unwilling to supply such data, but that if we were to have the engine already established, perhaps he would see fit to bestow such data upon us.

So lets assemble a team to work on this project by all means, but let us not ask for the data before we can prove to GAndreas that we are making good progress.
My Cythera Boards characters:
Silverfish: 1.52ft/46.3cm Tall
Mitsos/Pirro: Canonically statted
Don't forget to write Cythera Chronicles!

#30 User is offline   The Wizard 

• Not a Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Anyone here (other than Bryce, of course) have much programming experience?
Wizard

#31 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

My apologies to my extremely belated response to this topic. I have been extremely busy of late and have not quite reached the end yet (two finals still to go).

That said, I have only a few things to say at this point.

I have indeed long been aware of the limited utility of hacking and the fact that Delver seems quite, quite dead at this point. I have continued largely to see how much I can do with this method.

The idea of an open source engine for Cythera had occurred to me before, but I had not in the past considered this a likely option, due to lack of a team and lack of the data.

However, this topic has encouraged me somewhat about the possibility of such a project. I was looking forward to speaking with Bryce about this subject, but I'm not certain if he's still around (at the moment) or how to contact him.

The only way, I suppose, to see whether or not the idea is plausible is to go ahead and at least make an attempt.

Thus, next week, when I get out of school, I'm going to make an effort to assemble a team and at least make some sort of start on this project.

I admit that my own coding experience is essentially limited to one C++ course and thus is basically nil. I do have my files on save hacking, although I'm not sure what use they might be. There is also a program that was pointed out to me that seems as if it might decrypt the data, but I haven't the experience to tell.

In any case, I think that gandreas' permission for the data is essential for such a project to survive.

I'm not entirely sure how to start a project like this or what sort of skills are required, so I'm not who I'll be looking for. (I would suggest that the most qualified coder take charge of the coding efforts.) Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

If enough momentum can be built up here, I'll probably start trying to see if there are those on other boards with desire and ability to join in as well.

I plan to make a concerted effort on this next week (since I might not have time to post again before then), but you may feel free to join in now, if you wish. I must caution you that such a project may be quite difficult and I cannot say what the odds of success are.

Selax

#32 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Good to hear from you, Selax.
You can contact me via email, bryce.schroeder@gmail.com

gandreas' permission is definitely essential if Cythera is to be recreated with a new engine, for legal reasons and because a unilateral attempt would require the unpleasant and laborious capture of all the game data, or else hacking the data file encryption/compression.

The project is indeed unlikely to get off the ground without any data, though, which poses an unfortunate problem if one buys into the theory that Glenn would give us the data, if only we had an engine.

Next week is "dead week" for me, but this Summer I'm open to working on this project. Selax, check out the Python programming language. Learning a second programming language is much easier than learning your first one, and Python is in many respects a much better language for applications programming (including games.)

This post has been edited by Bryce: 08 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

www.magnatune.com - Magnatune: Internet record label. Wide selection of music in MP3, flac, ogg: no DRM. Legal. Artists get 50% of your money.

#33 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

Is there a better way to learn Python than the online Tutorial? I'm in the 3rd Chapter & it isn't making sense to me. (Admittedly, it doesn't help that my {delete} key won't work & I have to use ^/ instead)

#34 User is offline   Bryce 

• Open-Source Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Jehezekel @ May 8 2009, 07:38 PM)
Is there a better way to learn Python than the online Tutorial? I'm in the 3rd Chapter & it isn't making sense to me. (Admittedly, it doesn't help that my {delete} key won't work & I have to use ^/ instead)

The tutorial is targeted at people who can already program, I think, although there are others online. O'Reilly has two python books, one of which, "Learning Python," is targeted at beginners. I don't have it, but I've had uniformly positive experiences with their books in the past.

- Bryce

#35 User is offline   Jehezekel 

• Butterfly Dragon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

Thanks, I'll have to look that up! ^_^

#36 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:35 AM

Thanks, Bryce. I'll probably try to email you sometime this weekend.

Also, I'll be posting a topic tomorrow attempting to recruit a team for the aforementioned project and to clarify some specifics.

Selax

#37 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

I wouldn't just make a sign up sheet. I'd link some turitorials and all other current info regarding data restrictions, means to creat, ect.

I might traffic the topic link around as well.

#38 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

I do intend to give some other information, Two Jacks, but many specifics remain to be resolved (which will be part of the purpose of the other topic).

My apologies for not getting around to posting said topic. I've been a bit busier than I've expected (that and I am still thinking of what exactly to say). I expect to have something up this weekend.

Selax

#39 User is offline   Two Jacks 

• internet poet
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:21 AM

Didn't mean to sound snooty. heythere.gif

#40 User is offline   Selax 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

My apologies if I sounded irritated; I did not intend to.

Selax

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users