Ambrosia Software Web Board: Superhero Costume? - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Superhero Costume? One-day Spirit thing at GPHS....

#1 User is offline   Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox 

• Knights of the Round
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

So, at my school, this week is spirit week. Tomorrow is Superhero day. I was thinking I was going to be a Ninja, kind of like that described in the Ask a Ninja video Thr33. But I don't have a Ninja outfit and don't have any money whatsoever, so my next thought was MacMan, but I don't know how I would manage that, either.

I kind of have to do this as well, because I wasn't participating the rest of this week, and (as a Freshman) I got a lot of crap from upper-classmen for not being "spirited".

Any ideas on what Superhero I should be, and how I could "Dress Up"? I do have a black cape, if that helps....
Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut
Und hat er nicht drei Ecken
Dann ist es nicht mein Hut

#2 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

s### hasn't changed that much in the decade since I was in your shoes. School spirit is still for suckers, pussies, and pawns of the establishment.

Tell the upperclassmen that you're "My Own Man," steadfastly not willing to suckle at the breast of conformity like the rest of the proles who mindlessly surge through the hallways like lemmings off a cliff. Tell them that they can continue dressing as superheroes, demanding conformity to Great White Father's ideal, building up Big Brother's invented facade of togetherness. You proudly stand apart from the crowd, shocked at the willingness with which your fellow man jumps on today's bandwagon, at how quick they are to condemn those outsiders - those "others" - who realize that they need not partake of the pleasures of a shared fantasy of unity to find fulfillment in life.

When they dress up as those pillars of individualism that are superheroes so that they are not singled out and identified as nonconforming "individuals," they bastardize the concept of what a superhero is. Embody the truth; remain your own man. Be "My Own Man."

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#3 User is offline   Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox 

• Knights of the Round
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

You know, that's actually a good idea. Superheros usually stand out from the crowd, so if I stood out as "Unspirited", I'd be something of a superhero.*

*Theoretically.
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut

#4 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:31 AM

View PostPufer, on Oct 23 2008, 03:33 AM, said:

s### hasn't changed that much in the decade since I was in your shoes. School spirit is still for suckers, pussies, and pawns of the establishment.

Tell the upperclassmen that you're "My Own Man," steadfastly not willing to suckle at the breast of conformity like the rest of the proles who mindlessly surge through the hallways like lemmings off a cliff. Tell them that they can continue dressing as superheroes, demanding conformity to Great White Father's ideal, building up Big Brother's invented facade of togetherness. You proudly stand apart from the crowd, shocked at the willingness with which your fellow man jumps on today's bandwagon, at how quick they are to condemn those outsiders - those "others" - who realize that they need not partake of the pleasures of a shared fantasy of unity to find fulfillment in life.

When they dress up as those pillars of individualism that are superheroes so that they are not singled out and identified as nonconforming "individuals," they bastardize the concept of what a superhero is. Embody the truth; remain your own man. Be "My Own Man."

-Pufer

The best thing is, once you've awoken from your coma, and have learnt to walk again after saying all that, spirit week will be over, as will all your problems!

So what the hell is spirit week? Another stupid American school bonding exercise?
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

#5 User is offline   undead_shadow 

• Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

View PostPufer, on Oct 22 2008, 09:33 PM, said:

<snip>

-Pufer

Once again the day is saved thanks to Pufer!

View PostLektor, on Oct 23 2008, 03:31 AM, said:

So what the hell is spirit week? Another stupid American school bonding exercise?

You are what you are but you don't wanna be

#6 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

View PostLektor, on Oct 23 2008, 04:31 AM, said:

Basically.
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#7 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Fair enough. It's amazing any of your children survive their schooling years, never mind doing so with enough brain cells to make any sort of impact on the world. At least your President has all his aforementioned cells...

Oh, wait a minute...

:P
"My friends tell me that I refuse to grow up, but I know they're just jealous because they don't have pajamas with feet."
-- Tom Sims

#8 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

View PostPufer, on Oct 22 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Tell the upperclassmen that "I'm My Own Man, steadfastly not willing to suckle at the breast of conformity like the rest of the proles who mindlessly surge through the hallways like lemmings off a cliff."

Fixed (you ended the quote too early and started it too late).
><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#9 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Uh, no not really, what he said was fine. "My Own Man" is the name of the superhero, then he went on to describe said hero.
And anyway correcting tiny things like that is pointless and annoying anyway.
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#10 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

I probably should've italicized it instead, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like typing in the code.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#11 User is offline   kingofvwcosmos 

• Tiga
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

@ Sponge Tom: Do you really not know that your verse is from Joshua 24:15? And "Lord" should be spelled "LORD".

On topic: Don't ridicule us for our awesome school bonding days, foreigners. It's just to make school less mind-numbingly mind-numbing. I just got back from homecoming after a week of dress-up days (80's day, nerd day, PJ's day, and school spirit day). It's been the best week of school so far.

EDIT: Since the "on topic" wasn't actually on topic...
Actually on topic: The Punisher would have been nice.

This post has been edited by kingofvwcosmos: 23 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

#12 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

The foreigners are right.

Homecoming week: A Pufervian history

Freshman year: Someone asked me if I was going to go see the powder puff football game. I said, and I believe I quote, "What the ###### is a power-puff football game?" Whomever I was speaking to didn't notice the fact that I said "power" not "powder," and responded, "Oh, you know. When all the football players dress like cheerleaders and the cheerleaders play football on the basketball court." I looked at them with a dumbfounded look on my face when, just then, the football team went flouncing on by in cheerleading outfits. I decided that this whole thing was stupid (and I stand by my decision of a decade ago) and went to the library. With the exception of that minute-long exchange, I was completely oblivious to all the homecoming happenings.

Sophomore year: Someone mentioned the results of the homecoming game to me about a week after the fact. I missed the event completely.

Junior year: I remember getting into a line at lunch thinking that it was the line for the burrito lady. Turned out that it was the line for homecoming dance tickets and I was ######ed out of a burrito because it took me too long to realize that fact and get into the correct line.

Senior year: I remember that one of my friends went to the dance because he figured that it was some sort of rite of passage. From what I understand, he showed up to the dance (held at a local museum) alone, dressed up like a Sikh. This was apparently a bit of a faux pas seeing as it wasn't fancy dress and he was just some jewish guy. That exhausts my knowledge of the happenings of that homecoming week.

Five years of undergrad at the University of New Mexico: I'm sure they had some sort of homecoming game or something every year, but I wasn't aware of it or any associated happenings.

This year at the University of Colorado School of Law: I was asked to attend some sort of alumni event to help pump them for money. While I was begging the task off, I learned that the event was somehow associated with Homecoming weekend. I believe that the Buffs were crushed by Texas that weekend in honor of the occasion.

I am all but certain that the entirety of the time I've spent not participating in homecoming events has been better spend doing other things, even if those things consisted of sitting someplace, staring off into space.

-Pufer

#13 User is offline   Lektor 

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:34 AM

See, this is my problem with university. Isn't the idea to go to learn? Not to get drunk, dressed up like god knows what and sleep with anything that moves whilst being so off your face you vomit on said 'anything that moves' on the way to the taxi.
-- Tom Sims

#14 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

View Postkingofvwcosmos, on Oct 24 2008, 12:20 AM, said:

@ Sponge Tom: Do you really not know that your verse is from Joshua 24:15? And "Lord" should be spelled "LORD".

Cut me some slack, I've only read through the whole Bible once.

And technically, I think it should look more like LORD, only smaller.

This post has been edited by Sponge Tom: 24 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#15 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

View PostLektor, on Oct 24 2008, 02:34 AM, said:

See, this is my problem with university. Isn't the idea to go to learn? Not to get drunk, dressed up like god knows what and sleep with anything that moves whilst being so off your face you vomit on said 'anything that moves' on the way to the taxi.

At best, I think the point is to get a piece of paper. Actually learning anything is clearly an ancillary goal, likely about even with getting sauced and screwed while wearing a toga.

-Pufer

#16 User is offline   Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox 

• Knights of the Round
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hey, togas are awesome! I've just never worn one. :P

You foreigners are right. How do we survive school with all this "Spirit" crap going on? Today, someone brought up why spirit totally sucks, and I agree 25%. (The other 75%, I just hate Spirit.) He said that all the staff and everyone is trying to get people spirited about school so they'll go home, spend the time they should've been doing homework on a costume, and then enjoy school while getting low test scores along with low homework grades and everything.

Somehow, I actually managed to memorize that whole thing the first time through. When I went to school yesterday (as "My Own Man") I explained the whole thing, how, theoretically, I was more "super" than everyone else. By the end of the day, I had said that entire thing at least 5 times and had over twice the number of friends as I did originally.
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut

#17 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

View PostCaptain Zaphod Beeblebrox, on Oct 24 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

Somehow, I actually managed to memorize that whole thing the first time through. When I went to school yesterday (as "My Own Man") I explained the whole thing, how, theoretically, I was more "super" than everyone else. By the end of the day, I had said that entire thing at least 5 times and had over twice the number of friends as I did originally.

0 x 2 = 0.

This post has been edited by Sponge Tom: 24 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#18 User is offline   Gray Shirt Ninja 

• devoured by incandescence
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

View PostSponge Tom, on Oct 24 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

0 x 2 = 0.

2 / 0 OH SHI-! *vanishes in a puff of logic*
Why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is
my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a
shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

#19 User is offline   Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox 

• Knights of the Round
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

View PostSponge Tom, on Oct 24 2008, 06:48 PM, said:

0 x 2 = 0.

Jerkwad. :P
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut

#20 User is offline   Veritus Dartarion 

• pugnacious
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

Actually, the correct thing to do is to completely reject school spirit in high school and then embrace it in college. In high school, you are supposed to be rebelling against any authority or arbitrary structures hoisted upon you by the administration. Obviously, Homecoming falls under that. By college, on the other hand, you are supposed to be sufficiently self-confident and assured in your own maturity that you are willing to get involved with things like school spirit that you would have shunned as not cool before. This will let you look like an independent, self-possessed person while doing the same thing as lots of other people, which is the key to social success.

This post has been edited by Veritus Dartarion: 25 October 2008 - 01:31 AM

INTELLECT: By convention there is sweetness, by convention bitterness, by convention color, in reality only atoms and the void.

SENSES: Foolish intellect! Do you seek to overthrow us, while it is from us that you take your evidence?

#21 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

No, in college you're supposed to be a wild-eyed idealist that rebels against every part of the system way more than any high schooler could ever hope.
And smokes pot. Lots of pot.

#22 User is offline   Veritus Dartarion 

• pugnacious
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

View PostRickton, on Oct 24 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

No, in college you're supposed to be a wild-eyed idealist that rebels against every part of the system way more than any high schooler could ever hope.

Dude, it's not the sixties anymore.

The pot's okay though.
INTELLECT: By convention there is sweetness, by convention bitterness, by convention color, in reality only atoms and the void.

SENSES: Foolish intellect! Do you seek to overthrow us, while it is from us that you take your evidence?

#23 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostRickton, on Oct 25 2008, 02:55 AM, said:

Ever wonder if the pot and wild-eyed idealist rebellion against the system are somehow connected?
><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#24 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

View PostVeritus Dartarion, on Oct 25 2008, 04:49 AM, said:

Dude, it's not the sixties anymore.

Unfortunately!

View PostSponge Tom, on Oct 25 2008, 11:20 AM, said:

Ever wonder if the pot and wild-eyed idealist rebellion against the system are somehow connected?

Actually, based on my one experience with pot, I totally understand why the hippies were such tree-huggers.

That said, you ever been around anyone who's smoked pot? It tends to make them docile and sluggish. Not very rebellious at all.

#25 User is offline   Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox 

• Knights of the Round
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

View PostRickton, on Oct 24 2008, 10:55 PM, said:

Say, I don't want to be a hippy.
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic