• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bright ideas post yours today!

#1 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

Ever thought of something that seems obvious, but would significantly improve the lives or experiences of other people? Perhaps you've thought of ice cubes made of the drink they're in, so it doesn't get watered-down.

Or maybe you've got an idea to resolve a problem in the world, like the Sponge Tom Industries Regional Climate Control!

This device is designed to stop global warming, one area at a time. It is a giant air conditioning unit, so huge and powerful, that it can take a country the size of Mexico back to it's natural temperature in just a few days! You may be wondering, "Where would the money come from?". Well that's easy! Where it always comes from! Or maybe you're wondering where the power comes from. Well, we have the answer: where everything else comes from. China!

A huge, human-driven dynamo generator sends the needed power to the AC unit via underground cables. We've made a simple sketch for you to study.

[attachment=6746:stopwarming.jpg]

We are also proud to present the ladder of the future! Between the two main...parts, is a belt, similar to those things at the Wal-Mart check-out booths you've always wanted to control. But this one is different. The belt contains specially designed footholds equipped with pressure-detecting sensors, so all you have to do is step on, and the ladder gets you where you need to go!

So post your bright ideas, so that others may claim them as their own and eat the fruit of your mind!
><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#2 User is offline   zurdo 

• Patriot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

I think they should make the whole airplane out of black-box material.
"I view it [The Columbia River] as the germ of a great, free and independent empire on that side of our continent, and that liberty and self-government spreading from that as well as this side, will ensure their complete establishment over the whole."

-Thomas Jefferson

#3 User is offline   daowei 

• the official non-human.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

everyone should have a solar powered water heater that can be used in the summer, when you don't need terribly hot showers (nearly every appartment building has them on the roof in the city i live in).

taxis connected to the electric bus lines would be pretty effective i think, as most people taking taxis are heading through the city.
弥勒真弥勒,化身千百亿,时时示时人,时人自不识。
-布袋

#4 User is offline   Jeremiah 

• Dissonant
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hot food that doesn't go cold before you've finished eating it.
Evility is Reality.

"There's only two types of music; Good and Bad."

Radio Paradise

#5 User is offline   Mispeled 

• *facepalm*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

View PostSponge Tom, on May 30 2008, 09:55 PM, said:

Perhaps you've thought of ice cubes made of the drink they're in, so it doesn't get watered-down.

Ice cubes are really quite overused. There's really no reason to put more than three or four in even a large drink if your liquid is properly cooled, and three or four shouldn't significantly water down the drink.
Pending News > VXI

#6 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:54 PM

I agree that ice cubes are overrated, but feel that any more than two can certainly substantially water down a drink. That said, if you have the presence of mind to make ice cubes out of your favorite beverage, why not just put your favorite beverage in the fridge?

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#7 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

I find that a single ice cube can have disastrous effects on a delicious beverage, so I tend to avoid them.

But when it comes to water, pile that ###### in baby!
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#8 User is offline   LNSU 

• Forum Pun-dit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

I generally stay away from ice cubes.

Also, that giant AC maching wouldn't work because AC units, at theoretical best, can't actually produce cold (remove heat), they can only move heat around (say, from inside to outside). Law of energy conservation. The AC unit would need to expel the heat to space, which wouldn't work so well as heat needs a medium to travel through, and space is pretty vacuum-y.

Modern AC units actually end up producing heat, but they just dump it outside.

This post has been edited by LNSU: 01 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

VXI

#9 User is offline   Mispeled 

• *facepalm*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

View PostRickton, on Jun 1 2008, 10:37 AM, said:

But when it comes to water, pile that ###### in baby!

I don't know, I don't like my water to be watered down.
Pending News > VXI

#10 User is offline   G-Spark 

• +5 to Fleeing and Evasion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

View PostLNSU, on Jun 1 2008, 10:08 AM, said:

I generally stay away from ice cubes.

Also, that giant AC maching wouldn't work because AC units, at theoretical best, can't actually produce cold (remove heat), they can only move heat around (say, from inside to outside). Law of energy conservation. The AC unit would need to expel the heat to space, which wouldn't work so well as heat needs a medium to travel through, and space is pretty vacuum-y.

Modern AC units actually end up producing heat, but they just dump it outside.
If I'm stopping at a fast food restraunt then I avoid ice cubes like they're the plague unless I decide to get a cup of them to chew on. I like chewing on things. But they just really fill up the cup and don't cool it down a whole lot especially since I don't mind drinking a can of room temperature pop. I'm rather annoyed when I stop at a drive through and my drink has more ice than pop in it.

And you could make something that takes heated air and pulls it through some sort of coolant then spits it back out.
Sanity brings Clarity. Clarity brings Understanding. Understanding makes everything boring as hell.

#11 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

View PostG-Spark, on Jun 1 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

I like chewing on things.

Oh I bet you do. Posted Image
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#12 User is offline   nfreader 

• Oh, it's you.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Location:The Aperture Science Computer Aided Enrichment Center

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

###### your ice cubes, refrigerator water filter FTW. Fresh and chilly!
Minecraftm.neffy.me:25580 (For support, email nick@nfreader.net | Twitter

#13 User is offline   LNSU 

• Forum Pun-dit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

@G-Spark:

And where would that coolant get cold from? why, from making other things hot! Unless you want to somehow transport that heated matter to space and eject it there, good luck. Also, ejecting large amounts of hot stuff into space isn't so great, because then you are ejecting bits of the earth into space, which will (if enough stuff is sent out) reduce the mass of the earth significantly enough to have some effect.
VXI

#14 User is offline   G-Spark 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

I don't really know. I wasn't paying much attention to what I typed. I'm not even sure what I was talking about. The idea was bringing air though some sort of gel that would cool the air. working or not it's definately not a bright idea. :P
Sanity brings Clarity. Clarity brings Understanding. Understanding makes everything boring as hell.

#15 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

View PostG-Spark, on Jun 1 2008, 10:15 PM, said:

I don't really know. I wasn't paying much attention to what I typed. I'm not even sure what I was talking about.

I'd rethink that plan.

#16 User is offline   Shlimazel 

• Enam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

I don't know, I don't like my water to be watered down.

I prefer a nice strong filtered river water myself. Ice cubes just weaken the flavor.

#17 User is offline   Jeremiah 

• Dissonant
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

At least we have water. Think of all the people in the countries who don't have water. What do they drink? Do they even have icecubes?

*Morality puke over*
Evility is Reality.

"There's only two types of music; Good and Bad."

Radio Paradise

#18 User is offline   Shlimazel 

• Enam
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

Of course they have icecubes. I mean, if they didn't have icecubes, it would be like they didn't have water or something.

Oh, wait....

#19 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

View PostJeremiah, on Jun 3 2008, 06:50 AM, said:

Think of all the people in the countries who don't have water. What do they drink?

Well in Australia's case they drink beer.

#20 Guest_Swithich_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

View PostLNSU, on Jun 1 2008, 06:58 PM, said:

@G-Spark:

And where would that coolant get cold from? why, from making other things hot! Unless you want to somehow transport that heated matter to space and eject it there, good luck. Also, ejecting large amounts of hot stuff into space isn't so great, because then you are ejecting bits of the earth into space, which will (if enough stuff is sent out) reduce the mass of the earth significantly enough to have some effect.

It could actually work if the coolant (say water or another gas) was forced into a cooler place. Say if this massive ac unit had a hole to drop condensation far into the Earth. Then the heat would be transfered from gas, to liquid, to solid, and since solids can take a large quantity of heat, without changing form you have a viable solution. There are of course other problems with is solution, primarily the power part, but I like the idea of solar powered ac units, that really is a good idea. The will run at full when you need it most. I prefer the three story house method, however, window open in the basement, two sets of stairs to the attic, and a window open in the attic. Good old transfer of thermal energy.

#21 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Am I too tired to know what's going on, or are you people taking my idea seriously?

Oh wait, I forgot I was in ATT.
><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#22 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

Wouldn't that lead you to believe that we would be taking your idea seriously?

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#23 User is offline   Sponge Tom 

• Brick s###house
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

View PostPufer, on Jul 10 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

Wouldn't that lead you to believe that we would be taking your idea seriously?

-Pufer

Of course it did. Me remembering that I was in ATT eliminated my doubt that people were taking my idea seriously.
><>

I shat a bottle of rope.

#24 User is offline   riddlemaster GX 

• Dua
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

A frequency laser(that is what I would call it) that sends a certain signal that instantly turns off any electric device (just in case of a robot uprising).

#25 User is offline   G-Spark 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

I should get one of those for my television.

It's really really old. Not really old like the ones with knobs and stuff that are really really really old but it's got to be at least 17-20 years old. I'm not real sure, but it's around there. I'll ask someone who knows.

Every once and a while it will refuse to shut off completely. I will still see picture and such, but channel changing as well as sound and access to other options such as tint and color are eliminated. It won't turn off until I:

1. Press the power button as hard as I can repeatedly which I now refuse to do. Both of the channel changing buttons have been pushed inside the panel and change is impossible without the remote.

2. Press the power button repeatedly. Also refuse to do for any period of time more than ten seconds.

3. Unplug the TV. This works best but may actually be the problem. The plug is a little messed up right now so even a little pressure will cause it to become unplugged.

In short: I need a new television.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users