Ambrosia Software Web Board: Hey look, it's JC and the BnB - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hey look, it's JC and the BnB

#1 User is offline   Mispeled 

• *facepalm*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

There has recently been a large number of evolution/creationism debate topics plagueing the BnB and Just Chat. As the other general discussion forum, what do we think? (not in terms of which we believe in (that would be far too serious for this forum), but what we think of the debate itself, if that makes sense. we can discuss the angry squirrel, though.)

In case you don't know what's going on, it started out with champion's thread about the creation museum. Then came the weird bible crap plagueing the BnB. Then we turn again to JC, with TwoADay bringing politics into the scene. Lobster has created a pledge to not discuss it further, and presently a squirrel has gone on a killing spree.
Pending News > VXI

#2 User is offline   Ashen-Shugar 

• Rescue Toaster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

I think it's best if we just stay out of it.

#3 User is offline   Anaxagoras 

• Fury of California
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

So... How 'bout them Jews?

#4 User is offline   Solid 

• I am a kitten =^.^= (formerly 3vil L337)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:That great American plain of funtionalist salvation

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

I feel like evolution vs. creation debates do little more than alienate spirituality and faith from science and rationality, thus making one seem in absolute opposition from the other.
[1:50] anti: " Don't forget the sunglasses, its like a gun on your face"
/Fiesta Grande\

#5 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

View Post3vil L337, on Jun 14 2007, 11:55 PM, said:

I feel like evolution vs. creation debates do little more than alienate spirituality and faith from science and rationality, thus making one seem in absolute opposition from the other.

Which, unfortunately, isn't true.
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#6 User is offline   The Apple Cøre 

• (----------)/
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

This can only end in tears unless it's taken off-topic in a good direction.

Soon.
You put what in my Power Mac?
Its like what happens when you cross a phoenix with a super black hole; it's powerful enough to destroy itself, only to be reborn in a vicious cycle of torment and pain. Or in this case, nonsense.
-Avatara, on the life cycle of ATT.
Dude, imagine Redline Trash Talk; the unholy spawn of B&B and ATT.
-ephrin
Will not get involved in a creation/evolution debate.
We're being overrun!

#7 User is offline   Solid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

Posted Image
/Fiesta Grande\

#8 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Pufer's here.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#9 User is offline   moonunit4eva 

• Dommy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:36 AM

View Post3vil L337, on Jun 14 2007, 07:55 PM, said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although, I do feel that they can coexist.
Whatever happens..happens.

#10 User is offline   The Apple Cøre 

• (----------)/
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

Sig'd.
Its like what happens when you cross a phoenix with a super black hole; it's powerful enough to destroy itself, only to be reborn in a vicious cycle of torment and pain. Or in this case, nonsense.
-ephrin
We're being overrun!

#11 User is offline   Solid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

View Postmoonunit4eva, on Jun 15 2007, 01:36 AM, said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although, I do feel that they can coexist.

They can, its just a shame that so many insist that they can't.
/Fiesta Grande\

#12 User is offline   TAC 

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

I think it's obvious that proponents of evolution are godless heathens who will eternally suffer for their foolish, scientifically-minded views in the afterlife.
You put what on my x86? An evil twin.

#13 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

But according to the theory of evolution there is no afterlife, all you get after you die is a hole in the ground.

#14 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

View Post3vil L337, on Jun 14 2007, 09:55 PM, said:

While I have nothing against the idea that spirituality/faith and science/rationality can and do coexist (I'm also of the opinion that a huge part of what is considered to be in the latter category is also located firmly in the first), the evolution vs. creation debates easily slip into areas where the two sides are actually opposed if strict doctrine is held to. For instance, scientific doctrine is absolutely opposed to the view that the Earth is 10,000 years old and Xian doctrine is absolutely opposed to the idea that it is any older. Both faith and rationality necessarily oppose the view that the Earth both is and is not exactly 10K years old.

While the two camps can certainly coexist, there are issues upon which there is demonstrated the reason why there are, in fact, two camps and the evo v. creation debate is one area where the split is necessarily apparent.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#15 User is offline   Lobster 

• ???
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

Ooops!

This post has been edited by Lobster: 15 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

#16 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

View PostJacaByte, on Jun 15 2007, 11:27 AM, said:

But according to the theory of evolution there is no afterlife, all you get after you die is a hole in the ground.

Actually, evolution takes no stance whatsoever on the afterlife.

View PostPufer, on Jun 15 2007, 12:51 PM, said:

While I have nothing against the idea that spirituality/faith and science/rationality can and do coexist (I'm also of the opinion that a huge part of what is considered to be in the latter category is also located firmly in the first), the evolution vs. creation debates easily slip into areas where the two sides are actually opposed if strict doctrine is held to. For instance, scientific doctrine is absolutely opposed to the view that the Earth is 10,000 years old and Xian doctrine is absolutely opposed to the idea that it is any older. Both faith and rationality necessarily oppose the view that the Earth both is and is not exactly 10K years old.

While the two camps can certainly coexist, there are issues upon which there is demonstrated the reason why there are, in fact, two camps and the evo v. creation debate is one area where the split is necessarily apparent.

A day in heaven is different than a day on Earth, and the old testament is full of abstraction and enlightening stories. It's only the people who take it all literally (and in my opinion, miss out on a lot as a result) that have any issues with science. Blind faith is not good faith. You need to make it your own, challenge your beliefs, and religion will hold up to it... once you realize that the Bible isn't literal.

One thing I believe is that logic can always be relied on. So far my logic has allowed me a belief in the scientific principles (along with a healthy dose of skepticism) as well as a belief that a series of documents that has survived many thousands of years is based in actual events and divinely inspired. Logic tells me that if there was not truth to be found in the Bible it would not exist, and that if God were to tell early humans of their creation He would not explain it using incomprehensible quantum physics and genetics. I can reasonably suspect that the system of physical properties and constants in our universe today were the same ones used to create us, and I know that the Roman Catholic Church, despite some history of scientific rejection or ignorance, has largely supported science so that their followers know the difference between superstition and true belief. While heathens think that lightning was some divine act, we know better than to think every act of nature is a personal divine intervention.

Because I'm willing to see symbology, not a historical account, my faith is stronger. Because I question my beliefs on an daily basis, be it belief in religion or a belief in science, my beliefs are stronger. Science is about not accepting things on blind faith, investigation, and careful logical analysis and skepticism. Why should my religious beliefs not undergo the same treatment?
mrxak.com | twitter.com/mrxak
Super Moderator - EVDC | U | EV | D | R | DC | M
_/\__
In the light of morning the sun climbs upon the shoulder of the sky / I yearn for the tender darkness.

#17 User is offline   jrsh92 

• Party Animal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

I signed the pledge.
(Prog)metalhead and voidian

To change myself, I'd rather die
Though they will not understand
I won't make the greatest sacrifice
You can't predict where the outcome lies
You'll never take me alive
I'm alive

#18 User is offline   The Apple Cøre 

• (----------)/
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

This thread almost started the very thing it was meant to prevent.
-ephrin
We're being overrun!

#19 User is offline   moonunit4eva 

• Dommy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

I was gonna say something about someone being a Windows user, but I decided to keep my mouth shut :P
Whatever happens..happens.

#20 User is offline   Rickton 

• Organ Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

View PostJacaByte, on Jun 15 2007, 11:27 AM, said:

A hole in the ground that keeps getting more advanced as time goes on!
Currently making Possession 2, a game where you play as a ghost and possess your enemies.

#21 User is offline   Lobster 

• ???
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

View PostRickton, on Jun 15 2007, 10:33 PM, said:

A hole in the ground that keeps getting more advanced as time goes on!

Advanced?!

#22 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

View Postmrxak, on Jun 15 2007, 12:20 PM, said:

A day in heaven is different than a day on Earth, and the old testament is full of abstraction and enlightening stories. It's only the people who take it all literally (and in my opinion, miss out on a lot as a result) that have any issues with science. Blind faith is not good faith. You need to make it your own, challenge your beliefs, and religion will hold up to it... once you realize that the Bible isn't literal.

One thing I believe is that logic can always be relied on. So far my logic has allowed me a belief in the scientific principles (along with a healthy dose of skepticism) as well as a belief that a series of documents that has survived many thousands of years is based in actual events and divinely inspired. Logic tells me that if there was not truth to be found in the Bible it would not exist, and that if God were to tell early humans of their creation He would not explain it using incomprehensible quantum physics and genetics. I can reasonably suspect that the system of physical properties and constants in our universe today were the same ones used to create us, and I know that the Roman Catholic Church, despite some history of scientific rejection or ignorance, has largely supported science so that their followers know the difference between superstition and true belief. While heathens think that lightning was some divine act, we know better than to think every act of nature is a personal divine intervention.

Because I'm willing to see symbology, not a historical account, my faith is stronger. Because I question my beliefs on an daily basis, be it belief in religion or a belief in science, my beliefs are stronger. Science is about not accepting things on blind faith, investigation, and careful logical analysis and skepticism. Why should my religious beliefs not undergo the same treatment?

I think that's absolutely a fine way of looking at it. However, almost by definition, the folks involved in the evolution vs creation debate are not undertaking such a critical attitude towards their beliefs. Those who stick to the straight company line on church doctrine, taking either what they read in the Bible as being unquestionably true as written or blindly accepting whatever their religious leader is telling them, and the absolute rejection of a middle ground by the pure science crowd are not going to budge on their beliefs and, thus, create the issue.

Personally, I too believe in the power of logic, however I won't go quite as far as saying that it can always be relied on. Insofar as science can say anything about the world as-it-is, I logically hold its perception of the world to be accurate, however imperfect and/or unrepresentative of the real world it may be. I cannot, however, logically justify a belief that any religious text contains any more validity than any other, or, indeed, that any of them hold any particular truth about the current state of affairs at all. Whatever can be used to justify any particular text's validity can be demonstrated to be true of any number of other texts, thus I cannot logically hold that any one gives truth. Now none of this is to say that I flatly reject that any particular text could contain a true description of things as they are, but only that I cannot know if any of them do. As such, I do not ascribe to the rules in any text as it is not possible to know enough to satisfy the conditions for overcoming skepticism about all of them.

Coming from this position, I generally act as a foil on both sides of the aisle, pointing out how strict doctrine holders aren't actually strictly holding to their respective doctrines whether they be religious or scientific (basically making the case for critical thought). My whole bit on Satan in the Book of Job in the B&B religion topic could easily be countered by making the (correct) claim that the Hebrew Bible has always clearly stated that it is not "Satan" who is talking to God, but rather that it is "the satan" (not a proper name) which is better translated as "the accuser/prosecutor." However this is not the line held my any major Christian sect as far as I know and, thus, while any level of critical thought could certainly get you around my objection, someone who is sticking to the straight company line on it cannot have a valid counterpoint without also calling all other doctrine into question. Essentially, critical thought is good, blind obedience is not.

-Pufer

#23 User is offline   Anaxagoras 

• Fury of California
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:26 AM

View PostLobster, on Jun 15 2007, 11:19 PM, said:

Advanced?!

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

View PostLobster, on Jun 15 2007, 09:19 PM, said:

Advanced?!

Alright smarty pants, how's complex?

#25 User is offline   Lobster 

• ???
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

View PostJacaByte, on Jun 16 2007, 12:01 PM, said:

Alright smarty pants, how's complex?

That's not necessarily true either, as not all species evolve to higher complexity. It's a somewhat human-centric, and perhaps animalia-centric, way of looking at evolution. Evolution isn't a teleology; it does not work for complexity or "advancement," it's a phenomenon that results from natural selection in a population, and selection pressures do not force a particular long-term approach to adaptation. An adaptation that works today may not work tomorrow, and the amount of genetic/phenotypic variation (perhaps another take on "complexity") in a population is a result of many factors, none of which are necessarily working towards greater variation. If it doesn't help you survive, it's junk.

As humans, we like to think ourselves both complex and perfectly adapted to our environment, but the evidence shows that there have been times in history in which having a big brain has been a disadvantage. It's metabolically expensive, it requires training, and therefore it requires a long adolescence. Obviously in the long run it has been a great advantage, but in evolutionary terms, we have been around for a miniscule amount of time. In the future, our incredibly expensive and slow-to-train brains might put us at a disadvantage. We are at the mercy of nature, more than we know.

As a footnote, I am just discussing evolution here, this is not a launchpad for a discussion into creationism vs. evolution, so please do not structure a response as such.

This post has been edited by Lobster: 17 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users