Ambrosia Software Web Board: Speaking from personal experience - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speaking from personal experience Things that aren't as fun as they sound

#1 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Common wisdom tells us that many things are desirable which we've never actually tried. Of course, common wisdom is often wrong. What supposedly excellent ideas have you tried that you found lacking?

I'll start:

1. Drinking until long after sunrise.

Partying until after sunrise is amazing. Playing drinking games until after sunrise is destructive.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#2 User is offline   Mackilroy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

Staying up seventy five hours straight without even a hint of sleep.
At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

#3 User is offline   JacaByte 

• Tujuh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Sledding on snow that had melted and refroze into one big thick sheet of ice. Great way to break your tail bone.

#4 User is offline   Anaxagoras 

• Fury of California
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Trying to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything nice to say about someone else.

Seriously, people, hate is completely natural. ###### the Jedi, they were wrong; you've got to have at least one person you don't like.

#5 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

Drugs.

Great for a little while and then they just suck in every aspect. By the time you get to that point though, you've already got a rather expensive habit to break.
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#6 User is offline   Ashen-Shugar 

• Rescue Toaster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

You know those really big bags of Lays Salt and Vinegar potato chips?

Well don't eat one for dinner and expect a good night's sleep.

#7 User is offline   Pufer 

• Deadpan Orator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:32 AM

I've always found waking up in the morning to be vastly overrated. Folks tell me that the day begins when you rise from bed, but I beg to differ.

-Pufer
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

#8 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:16 AM

I beg to differ.
One: Golf Croquet.
My friend enviegled me into playing when I didn't want to. I thought Croquet was a game for golden oldies (Yeah, I was dumb six months ago). Now it's my favourite game. The satisfaction of seeing the ball roll straight through a hoop is unbelievable.

Two: Waking up in the morning.
If you get up at five in the morning, you can bounce out of bed with a big grin on your face. And if you're the sort of person that takes pleasure in bugging others, you can a lot more easily because they're grumpy having woken up late.

Three: Ice-skating.
You know how people say you fall over all the time? I have ice-skated for four hours on two different days and haven't yet fallen over. It's also a lot more fun than it sounds. It feels pretty much like flying.

Four: Segways.
When you see them, you think, "It's going to fall over on me when I get on it! I'm not going on one of them!" Then you actually get on, and the thing responds to you. Then before you know it, you're doing fun stuff like trying to crash into trees (actually impossible, I tried it), and you can chase people with them.

Five: Swimming in freezing cold water.
Sounds horrible, but once you get over the initial shock, it's quite invigorating.

Plus more I can't be bothered typing out.
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#9 User is offline   Anaxagoras 

• Fury of California
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

View PostCrazyChick, on Feb 12 2007, 01:16 AM, said:

If you get up at five in the morning, you can bounce out of bed with a big grin on your face. And if you're the sort of person that takes pleasure in bugging others, you can a lot more easily because they're grumpy having woken up late.

When your melatonin production gets ######ed up as a teen and you can't fall asleep until 1:30 AM but you still have to get up at 5:45 AM, don't come crying to me.

[Anax is grumpy right now from a lack of sleep]

#10 User is offline   wolfman_rec 

• The One Free Man
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

View PostAnaxagoras, on Feb 11 2007, 12:57 PM, said:

Trying to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything nice to say about someone else.

Seriously, people, hate is completely natural. ###### the Jedi, they were wrong; you've got to have at least one person you don't like.

... They didn't like the Sith...

Something I highly do not recommend? Asking a creep what the capitol of Thailand is.

OK, so he asked me and I didn't know so I said "What?" and was curled up in a ball crying for 45 minutes.
"THERE IS NOTHING MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN CHEESE!" -- mrxak

#11 User is offline   jrsh92 

• Party Animal
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

I hate that. It's mean.
(Prog)metalhead and voidian

To change myself, I'd rather die
Though they will not understand
I won't make the greatest sacrifice
You can't predict where the outcome lies
You'll never take me alive
I'm alive

#12 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

View PostCrazyChick, on Feb 12 2007, 06:16 AM, said:

Four: Segways.
When you see them, you think, "It's going to fall over on me when I get on it! I'm not going on one of them!" Then you actually get on, and the thing responds to you. Then before you know it, you're doing fun stuff like trying to crash into trees (actually impossible, I tried it), and you can chase people with them.

Ah, you just reminded me of something a highly recomend against: segway jousting.

It was Halloween, we were partying at Geek House, and the owner of the house has a small fleet of segways. So a drunk guy in a 16th century suit of armor and a guy dressed like a samuri (both of which were probably a little over the legal intoxication limit) decide to have a "duel". Now if they had stayed around here the police probably wouldn't have gotten involved, but they decided to head down to St. Anthony Main where there was (I kid you not) a segway club. They positioned themselves at opposite ends of the street, drew their shiny foam and duct tape weapons and charged, with a segway group between them. Someone thought the weapons were real and that this was a (as described in the police report) "wanton act of terrorism".
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#13 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

View Postwolfman_rec, on Feb 12 2007, 04:02 PM, said:

Jedi really are the bad guys. Isn't it in all these other stories that human emotion and attachments, while sometimes tragic, are things to be valued? The Jedi seek to turn people into inhuman robots by suppressing what makes them human (or uh, alien). And the Sith just want to bring peace and order to the galaxy (it's in their manifesto) while finding out what people are really capable of achieving. The Jedi just want you to cripple yourself and never challenge authority.

As for my personal experience, I'd have to say that having hallucinations from being awake 40 hours straight is definitely not fun. I didn't think it would be though, I just didn't have much choice at the time.
mrxak.com | twitter.com/mrxak
Super Moderator - EVDC | U | EV | D | R | DC | M
_/\__
In the light of morning the sun climbs upon the shoulder of the sky / I yearn for the tender darkness.

#14 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

View Postwolfman_rec, on Feb 12 2007, 09:02 PM, said:

Something I highly do not recommend? Asking a creep what the capitol of Thailand is.
OK, so he asked me and I didn't know so I said "What?" and was curled up in a ball crying for 45 minutes.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to say Bangkok than it is to say Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

#15 User is offline   CrazyChick 

• Rawr: Ethanol
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

View PostAnaxagoras, on Feb 13 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

When your melatonin production gets ######ed up as a teen and you can't fall asleep until 1:30 AM but you still have to get up at 5:45 AM, don't come crying to me.

[Anax is grumpy right now from a lack of sleep]

But I don't have to wake up at 5:45. I wake up at 7.

View PostSundered Angel, on Feb 13 2007, 12:56 PM, said:

Trust me, it's a lot easier to say Bangkok than it is to say Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

Woah! Major freakout here! I think my brain fused just trying to read that. Bangkok is definitely easier!
And the winner of the text only entry goes to CrazyChick for "Watch for B&B on bridge." Encountering the B&B anywhere is dangerous enough. Throwing a bridge into the recipe is an equation for disaster. - Ragashingo

#16 User is offline   Anaxagoras 

• Fury of California
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

View PostCrazyChick, on Feb 13 2007, 02:09 AM, said:

But I don't have to wake up at 5:45. I wake up at 7.

Five and a half hours isn't that much better than four and a quarter, trust me.

#17 User is offline   wolfman_rec 

• The One Free Man
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

View Postmrxak, on Feb 12 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

Jedi really are the bad guys. Isn't it in all these other stories that human emotion and attachments, while sometimes tragic, are things to be valued? The Jedi seek to turn people into inhuman robots by suppressing what makes them human (or uh, alien). And the Sith just want to bring peace and order to the galaxy (it's in their manifesto) while finding out what people are really capable of achieving. The Jedi just want you to cripple yourself and never challenge authority.

As for my personal experience, I'd have to say that having hallucinations from being awake 40 hours straight is definitely not fun. I didn't think it would be though, I just didn't have much choice at the time.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. After all, after having played Jedi Outcast with all force powers I must admit that the "light" force powers are lame and the "dark" ones rock. I mean, you've got grip, lightning, drain, and others, and the only "light" one worth having is mind trick. Honestly.

Although jump is pretty cool...

#18 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

In KOTOR, stuff like mind trick and force-assisted jumping are neutral powers (although things like mind domination were dark side powers). But really, all force powers belong to the dark side. Dark jedi and sith will use any power they are capable of using, including stuff like healing. Light side Jedi cripple themselves, and they will always be weaker.
_/\__
In the light of morning the sun climbs upon the shoulder of the sky / I yearn for the tender darkness.

#19 User is offline   wolfman_rec 

• The One Free Man
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, they always limit themselves with stupid things like "scruples" and "morals". Pff, screw that. Unlimited and ultimate power at your fingertips and you're just going to dabble your fingers because you don't want to become "consumed"? Please. Vader was freaking unstoppable before he started to fold the the power of the Light. He died because he weakened. What a n00b. :P

#20 User is offline   zurdo 

• Patriot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Peeing off a cliff is pretty much as cool as it sounds.
"I view it [The Columbia River] as the germ of a great, free and independent empire on that side of our continent, and that liberty and self-government spreading from that as well as this side, will ensure their complete establishment over the whole."

-Thomas Jefferson

#21 User is offline   LNSU 

• Forum Pun-dit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

Even better is peeing off a building onto a busy street.
VXI

#22 User is offline   zurdo 

• Patriot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

Peeing out the window of a truck while traveling west on 1-90 across Snoqualmie Pass... alright, I've only heard about that one.
"I view it [The Columbia River] as the germ of a great, free and independent empire on that side of our continent, and that liberty and self-government spreading from that as well as this side, will ensure their complete establishment over the whole."

-Thomas Jefferson

#23 User is offline   LNSU 

• Forum Pun-dit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

My friend has peed into a bottle in the car before b/c the driver didn't want to stop.
VXI

#24 User is offline   mrxak 

• Rabid Haiku Generator

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

Speaking from personal experience, clicking this link is awesome.
_/\__

#25 User is offline   Cippy 

• Formerly "Destroyer E"
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

Speaking from personal experience, mrxak is a sluttish whore. I love him anyway though.
facebook.com/cippy
twitter.com/cippy
gplus.to/cippy
last.fm/user/cippy

Official Pufervian
Messing with Cippy's sig because I can. -mrxak

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users