Ambrosia Software Web Board: An amazing discovery in relation to board speed - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An amazing discovery in relation to board speed

#26 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:35 PM

**All the Elves wither away, while the humans speaking Elvish wonder what's going on**

High-Elven isn't deemed a "useful language," so unfortunately schools see no reason to offer it. However, that doesn't mean you can't take a [url="http://"http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm"]course[/url] on it. [If all you're looking for is a translation of Namárië, then [url="http://"http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/namarie.htm"]this[/url] will serve your purposes just fine.]

------------------
"All truths are relative, except for this one."

#27 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2002 - 05:41 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Theo Nean Donly:
In a related discovery, Avatara was found to be 67% more likely to make random calculations about the members of this board.  He currently holds the highest record for this with post-counts and topic-freezing.   Posted Image

------------------
The stars will fade and flowers will eventually die, but eloquence shall never fail to blossom on the tongues of the gifted.

#28 User is offline   dusk 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2002 - 01:18 AM

Originally posted by iKaterei:
This post was brought to you by the Department of Redundant Statistics Department.   Posted Image

Viewer discretion is advised: This post contains adult themes, stupid concepts, outrageous claims and useless statistics.

42% Of all posts are in violation of the 'code'. This code regualtes stupidity and spam, if you feel in any way the code has been breached, please do nothing about it, as you will just be anoying your moderators.

------------------
Yesterday we bent our necks to emperors and kings. Today, we kneel only to truth. -Kahil Gibran
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

#29 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**All the Elves wither away, while the humans speaking Elvish wonder what's going on**

High-Elven isn't deemed a "useful language," so unfortunately schools see no reason to offer it. However, that doesn't mean you can't take a course on it. [If all you're looking for is a translation of Namárië, then this will serve your purposes just fine.]

Ah, but do you have a course of Sindarin, or Grey Elven, if that helps?

------------------
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Im na si nef i nov o i hîn o gurth, thalion estel bí morchaint fuin.
I am here on this side of the hollow of the children of death, strong hope in the shadows cast by dark light.
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#30 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:48 PM

I've never seen a course on Sindarin, nor any of Tolkien's other languages. However, I believe there's a rather good description of it on that site. Also, if you're interested, you might want to get a copy of The Languages of Middle Earth, by Ruth S. Noel. It's not 100% accurate, but it does make a handy reference.

------------------

#31 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:54 PM

Originally posted by iKaterei:
On a related note, 32% of unrelated statistics are actually true, whereas so-called 'related discovery' statistics are 86% more likely to be made up on the spot.

In an unrelated note, there is a 100% chance you will read this post.

Pallas: People actually teach a class on Tolkien's High-Elven?

------------------
"There is a time and a place for everything."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#32 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2002 - 01:28 PM

Not an actual class, but the author of that site wrote up a textbook on it. If you have the patience to read through it sometime, it's a good resource. I've got a pretty good grasp of basic Quenya grammar now, although I still don't have much of a vocabulary.

------------------

#33 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2002 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
The Languages of Middle Earth, by Ruth S. Noel.

Har! That's the book I use for all my Quenya/Sindarin translations! Cache claims he has a dictionary though...

------------------
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Im na si nef i nov o i hîn o gurth, thalion estel bí morchaint fuin.
I am here on this side of the hollow of the children of death, strong hope in the shadows cast by dark light.
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#34 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2002 - 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Somebody:
Cache claims he has a dictionary though...

That's an online dictionary. There are a few around.

------------------
Nothing good ever comes from secrets and lies
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users